Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he'd probably still use his sword. I imagine him being like Robin, a magic user with sword attacks.

I've never played Golden Sun, but all I ever hear from people is that it looked pretty and had way too much dialogue.

Golden Sun had a lot of puzzles where you would use specific "psynergy" (the franchise's form of magic) to solve the puzzles and continue on with the game. Yeah, Isaac had a sword, but the sword is the least interesting thing about his moveset.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That poster of " Top characters wanted in japan " thing too. That's limited information based on a limited polled base for something that sells millions world wide. All you are doing is setting yourself up for possible disappointment, or surprise when " someone you thought no one cares about" get sin , but it turns out everyone wanted him

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
As somebody who loves the first two Golden Sun games.

He much of a character at all. But he's the protagonist of the first one. (And a silent one at that)

I would much rather have Mia then Isaac, but I'll happily take him. A Golden Sun moveset could be awesome with all the flashy attack's in the game. Final Smash could be a summon or Meteor special from the sword found in Lost Age
It's gotta be Ragnarok. That move was sick. Giant blade slamming down.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That poster of " Top characters wanted in japan " thing too. That's limited information based on a limited polled base for something that sells millions world wide. All you are doing is setting yourself up for possible disappointment, or surprise when " someone you thought no one cares about" get sin , but it turns out everyone wanted him
Sakurai even said Chrom and Dark Samus were hugely requested characters. He said K.Rool was a hugely requested character. Ridley was a hugely requested character. Simon was a requested character.

Are you seeing the theme here? There's nothing wrong with people looking at these polls to get an idea of what Sakurai is thinking for Ultimate.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It's a huge dataset and the majority of the top 10 are in Ultimate, so it doesn't really seem invalid.

Its not a huge dataset

Its I believe like 40k+ people, who are assuredly if they found that poll, enthusiasts. Out of millions who are much more casual.

So no its not, its not at all.

Don't know why you all post that

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is that when you'll finally smile?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai even said Chrom and Dark Samus were hugely requested characters. He said K.Rool was a hugely requested character. Ridley was a hugely requested character. Simon was a requested character.

Are you seeing the theme here? There's nothing wrong with people looking at these polls to get an idea of what Sakurai is thinking for Ultimate.

That could mean anything?

" Hugely requested characters" varies from character to character and whether they get it. The threshold for entry with one character could be lower than others.

Also isn't ashly a hugely wanted character, what about that shit? Chrom and Dark Samus are echos, they might not have been as wanted as K rool, but there was something there so echos worked. You are acting like getting into smash is some time of defined popularity finishline and its much more complicated than that. This is ON TOP OF limited data, this is also ontop general game development and dev time stuff we just have no context for

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
I dont want any more Kirby characters and heres why.

Star Alies just came out with a buttload of Kirby fan service where you can play as both Marx and Bandanna Dee (the two most requested Kirby characters) . Kirby games essentially play the same as Smash Bros as "platformers".

I imagine that if they did get into Smash, they would play pretty much identically to how they play in Star Allies, and to me thats just boring.
I find that large part of the appeal of Smash Bros is fighting with characters that dont usually fight, or more specifically characters that you can translate their moveset into an interesting way.

But with Kirby, you're basically just copy and pasting their moveset form their games into Smash. We only have a few unique newcomers left, and i'd rather let other characters with more unconventional moveset make it in. Thats just my perspective though.

I wont get mad or anything if they do make it in since Kirby characters are cute.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be weird if Nintendo looked only at its official ballot for newcomers, wouldn't it? Like even just to compare the results to other polls on the internet from different regions.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont want any more Kirby characters and heres why.

Star Alies just came out with a buttload of Kirby fan service where you can play as both Marx and Bandanna Dee (the two most requested Kirby characters) . Kirby games essentially play the same as Smash Bros as "platformers".

I imagine that if they did get into Smash, they would play pretty much identically to how they play in Star Allies, and to me thats just boring.
I find that large part of the appeal of Smash Bros is fighting with characters that dont usually fight, or more specifically characters that you can translate their moveset into an interesting way.

But with Kirby, you're basically just copy and pasting their moveset form their games into Smash. We only have a few unique newcomers left, and i'd rather let other characters with more unconventional moveset make it in. Thats just my perspective though.

I wont get mad or anything if they do make it in since Kirby characters are cute.
What's boring about Kirby but without the ability to inhale or fly but with a small plain spear and a bandana?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Its not a huge dataset

Its I believe like 40k+ people, who are assuredly if they found that poll, enthusiasts. Out of millions who are much more casual.

So no its not, its not at all.

Don't know why you all post that
For a population of 5 million people, you only need like 500 people to get decent data. 40k is actually overkill.

I'd argue that casual fans wouldn't have voted in the Smash ballot anyway, so the people voting in fan polls probably isn't that far off from the population that also voted in the ballot.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Man, it's unreal that every single person who bought Wonderful 101 voted for Wonder Red in that poll!

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
You should label fake stuff as fake so people don't spread it thinking it's real.

That's exactly what he wanted. He had no problem to make few fake leaks once in awhile so he just like to made up fake stories about Sakurai just confuse some smash fans and audiences.

103 Stages is the Final number? I would love another splatoon stage, that franchise deserve more representation :)

I don't think it's final numbers but some people probably would disagree with me here tho.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be weird if Nintendo looked only at its official ballot for newcomers, wouldn't it? Like even just to compare the results to other polls on the internet from different regions.
I'm sure sakurai or whoever looks at what folks want on various places. I think the people making this game also know that, polls like that are pretty limited data and don't count for too much. You have to look at a lot of information.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
If in the next direct, skull kid gets announced. And Sakurai is in a room with glow in the dark stars on the wall, and wearing a blue cap.... believe.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. People who are willing to vote on their ballot are the same who are making other ballots. At least that's what I would think.

Only the enthusiastic is gonna be voting/making polls for Smash newcomers. Plus Nintendo's also had other regions. Bayonetta was top in Europe and Top 5 in America according to Skaurai. So they did look at other ones

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Isaac doesn't even speak in the first game, but his powers could be interesting in Smash. I played both GBA Golden Sun's and am indifferent to him.

I'd probably take Geno over him. Not Bandana Dee though.

Dragnipur

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I mean, he'd probably still use his sword. I imagine him being like Robin, a magic user with sword attacks.

I've never played Golden Sun, but all I ever hear from people is that it looked pretty and had way too much dialogue.
The vast majority of attacks that Isaac uses in Golden Sun aren't sword attacks, they're magic (earth or fire)

Village

Oct 25, 2017
We're talking about Smash Bros character polling data, not precise population data used for school funding or some other actually life changing thing.
You realize video game companies literally have polling data for , age reigeon amount of video games you play , ect ect . So they can parce out demographics they are trying to appeal to right?

You realize that they pay people for that type of data collection and meticulously craft products to appeal to such demographics , right?

You realize that video game companies... are companies... right?

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Isaac would be similar to Robin in only the vaguest, most surface terms. It'd be like how Charizard and Ridley are both big fire-breathing dragons. And that's about it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What's boring about Kirby but without the ability to inhale or fly but with a small plain spear and a bandana?
To be fair if Waddle Dee were to make it in the game I'd imagine he'd be an amalgamation of abilities Waddle Dees have so Spear is default, Parasol could be used for a dash attack, and Beam for some specials even though it's mainly associated with Waddle Doos.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You realize video game companies literally have polling data for , age reigeon amount of video games you play , ect ect . So they can parce out demographics they are trying to appeal to right?

You realize that they pay people for that type of data collection and meticulously craft products to appeal to such demographics , right?

You realize that video game companies... are companies... right?
What does anything you just posted have to do with an online poll that shows that a character from a 20 year old Game Boy game might have a chance to make the Smash Roster?

Why are you taking character speculation and fan polls so seriously? What are the stakes if the polls are wrong? Oh no, someone is mildly disappointed until they play a game with 80 characters and a 100 stages.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Something I realized just now that might be worth mentioning

While Isaac might not have reached the heights of K. Rool, Ridley, or even Geno in the Smash ballot, I think Golden Sun almost definitely had the best ballot performance out of all the unrepped 1st-party franchises. That might've been noteworthy to Sakurai. After all, they DID ask on the ballot for the series the character was from.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Man, it's unreal that every single person who bought Wonderful 101 voted for Wonder Red in that poll!
l3rU3zX.gif

Village

Oct 25, 2017
What does anything you just posted have to do with an online poll that shows that a character from a 20 year old Game Boy game might have a chance to make the Smash Roster?

You should ask yourself that? You are the one who instigated this argument about polling data my dude.

My original statement was however about how that data doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things , but could possibly be indicative of larger trends. But no so much stock should be put into it. This in combination with, the threshold for certain characters getting in may be higher or lower for other elements besides popularity we are not aware of.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
So, who would be more suitable for Smash? Lloyd Irving or Cress Albane? Lloyd is more popular than Cress but Cress would be an awesome fighter. He looks more like a RPG character than Lloyd. But I think Lloyd will be in as the second Namco rep and Cress as a AT.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So to step away from this discussion about Polls let's see our choices from this pic
DkwAtC0WwAUlJKS.jpg

I chose Rex and Pyra, Sora, Elma, Monster Hunter, Cuphead, and Travis.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You should ask yourself that? You are the one who instigated this argument about polling data my dude.

My original statement was however about how that data doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things , but could possibly be indicative of larger trends. But no so much stock should be put into it.
I'm just annoyed every time someone posts a fan poll about the ballot, there's like 2 or 3 people who make it their mission to remind everyone how fan polls are bunk and meaningless and shouldn't be posted or whatever.

You post on it was essentially that
Why are people acting like this information means anything
That certainly doesn't sound like "data doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things , but could possibly be indicative of larger trends"

Smash speculation is supposed to be fun, if people want to put hope into their favorite character because a fan poll showed them as popular, what harm is there in letting them have their fun?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Red fans are the most pure, cause either you've played Wonderful 101 or you've never heard of it, there's barely any middle ground.
This is true.

You can't hate Wonder Red or any of the cast. (Unless its about stereotypes then that's fair). Hopefully Wonderful 101 gets rereleased already so people can vote for him in the next Ballot.

(Bonus points if he gets in and his final wonderful attack and its long named glory is his final smash)

Status
Not open for further replies.