• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe you would ban a stage because it has the same number of platforms of battlefield. Its just so crazy to me that that's a thing people are calling for on Reddit.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
This is what 2GG is going with for early tournaments, and this isn't even final. Wuhu Island (Hazardless) and Prism Tower might end up on the counterpick list, as well

The community really wants a large stage list, every time they put out a list, people demand more stages be added.

Where the hell is Yoshi's Story and Dream Land?

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
so how many mains are people having right now, I am using inkling, and mewtwo but dont know who my third will be? would using bayanetta be broken again

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Story - Bugged. Fly Guys always carry food, no matter item settings
Dream Land - Too similar to BF, although it'll probably be tested at some point to see what the boundaries are and if the wind really matters.
DL64 was allowed in Melee because the of boundaries, but I guess that could've more about the general lack of stages in Melee.

I personally wouldn't think individual pieces of food would be a huge deal, but whatever. What's the most you could get from one, 5%?

Oct 25, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate |OT|

pm4tji64fxu11.png

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo vs Capcom vs Bandai Namco vs Sega vs Konami vs Square Enix.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
For those trying to pick a controller for Smash Ultimate, I've done a bit of a write up comparing the PowerA Wireless Gamecube Controller vs the OEM Smash 4 controller.

The triggers (ZL/ZR on PowerA, L/R on GCN OEM) have a little less than half the travel to reach the membrane button underneath; this keeps the same analogue/digital feeling of the GCN controller without having such a long and ultimately useless pull (Unless Smash is special and uses the analogue trigger data)
ABXY buttons feel more or less identical, and the small difference in feel I could tell when comparing side by side could just be wear on the OEM buttons. There is a tiiiiny bit more travel but I couldn't tell or notice unless I was pressing OEM vs PowerA side by side.

The shoulder buttons (L/R on PowerA, Z on OEM) are easily the biggest difference; they are much closer to the ABXY in terms of the feeling of pressing, rather than the 'really stiff microswitch' feeling of OEM Z button. Seems to pivot the same, and is much meatier of a button. As a person who uses Z for Jump, this is probably the only thing that will mess with any amount of muscle memory for me.

C Stick is ass, but C Stick has always been ass. It's a cheaper looking yellow and isn't as grippy.
Analogue stick looks ugly in comparison but is a good bit grippier; so it's not pretty but if it holds up will be better to actually use.
Sticks clicking may fuck with some muscle memory for some techniques like turnback jumps or B Reversals, but probably easy to adjust, it's just going to have a bit of extra tactility.

Shell plastic seems to be PBT vs the OEM's I would guess ABS. Rougher feeling plastic but no flex in shell; feels very solid. PBT is considered 'premium' for keyboards vs ABS so take that as you will; if I'm accurate on it being PBT it's not them cheaping out. PBT should wear less than ABS.

Honestly, the biggest differences are the triggers (good)/bumpers(preference), and the fact that the hump is much flatter. C Stick is the only thing that I can call a straight negative, and it may be possible to transplant that anyway, which I'll be trying later tonight. (Also since C Stick is mainly flicked who cares lul)

I suppose I should talk about the menu buttons!
They are all very tall, very small, and pretty close. They feel nice to press down, but it you may end up hitting the wrong button for a while.

Haven't tried Gyro, not sure I have a game that would actually play well with GCN controller that uses Gyro; Splatoon uses B to jump and BotW would just be weird. Playing Doom with C Stick? lul, I guess I can try that to test responsiveness/accuracy and DIE.

Not only does this controller wake up the system, but unlike the Joycons/ProCon, if you push a face button and it starts searching for your Switch (but not waking it up), you can press the Home button while it's searching and it'll just go ahead and wake the system up. Thank god.

Dpad is actually probably better than the Procon's. It's got a nice press to it, but it's still in a useless position and won't be good for Dpad heavy games.

Rough lag test to follow later.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Smash 4 tried to make CPUs difficult by just giving them split second spot/air dodges that no human could ever do.

And it made using air attacks pointless against them because they just reacted too quickly to them.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a picture floating around of what the final character select screen looks like when the Echoes are stacked on top of their source?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 tried to make CPUs difficult by just giving them split second spot/air dodges that no human could ever do.

And it made using air attacks pointless against them because they just reacted too quickly to them.
You have no idea how much I hated this, actually you may well do for being the only person I've seen to also bring up this quirk.

Meanwhile Brawl's were just block/evade machines
And Melee's were like terminator robots designed to kill with no regards for their own safety, lvl 9 Luigi is majestic in how intimidating his swift chop action was counteracted by his complete inability to recover.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
You have no idea how much I hated this, actually you may well do for being the only person I've seen to also bring up this quirk.

Meanwhile Brawl's were just block/evade machines
And Melee's were like terminator robots designed to kill with no regards for their own safety, lvl 9 Luigi is majestic in how intimidating his swift chop action was counteracted by his complete inability to recover.
melee cpus were victims of very specific scripting

CPU luigi would NEVER use super jump punch to recover, only luigi missile. it was just incapable of the thought

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the updates and patches of Mario Tennis Aces, makes me hopeful, that Smash will also get constant updates (besides DLC). There is already rumors of new modes, so let's hope.

I could see following extra content to be possible:
  • New Modes
    • Boss Rush:
      What would be a Sakurai game without a Boss Rush Mode?
    • Conquest or another Online-Event-Mode:
      So far there is no mention of any kind of Online-Events. Aces (character unlocks), ARMS (Party-Crashs) and Splatoon (Splatfest) have those, so it would be weird, if Smash doesn't have at least the Conquest-Mode from Smash 4 or something better.
    • Home-Run Contest:
      I could see it making a return, especially since Sandbag can now be grabbed. Weird detail, if you don't do anything with it.
  • New Spirits
    This one is obvious. Any new released game can easily provide some new spirits for Smash Ultimate as a free update.
  • New Bosses
    New bosses are much easier to develop then characters and they can showcase very unique characters, which would never make the cut as characters. The team could also update the Classic-Mode of some character to have new final bosses. Maybe you can fight each boss separately in a Boss Battle Mode and see, how fast you can beat him alone. There are still a some bosses missing from older Smash games (Metal Mario, Petey Piranha. Rayquaza. Porky. Duon, Ridley, Meta Ridley, Tabuu and Master Core).
  • New Stages
    Smash 4 got some new stages, which were not tight to any character (Mario Maker, N64 Stages, Duck Hunt and Pirate Ship) and there are still some older stages missing (best chances would have Mute City, Poké Floats, Wooly World, Orbital Gate, Pyrosphere, reworked Pac-Maze, reworked Jungle Hijinx). So i can see some more happening besides the one in the DLC bundle.
  • New Echos
    It would be weird, that they introduce the name and not build on it. Echos are easier to build and balance then new fighters and could be released for free. There are still a lot of easy options left (Medusa, Dixie, Funky Kong, Ninten, Roll, Proto Man, Shadow ,Octolings, etc.).

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the updates and patches of Mario Tennis Aces, makes me hopeful, that Smash will also get constant updates (besides DLC). There is already rumors of new modes, so let's hope.

I could see following extra content to be possible:
  • New Modes
    • Boss Rush:
      What would be a Sakurai game without a Boss Rush Mode?
    • Conquest or another Online-Event-Mode:
      So far there is no mention of any kind of Online-Events. Aces (character unlocks), ARMS (Party-Crashs) and Splatoon (Splatfest) have those, so it would be weird, if Smash doesn't have at least the Conquest-Mode from Smash 4 or something better.
    • Home-Run Contest:
      I could see it making a return, especially since Sandbag can now be grabbed. Weird detail, if you don't do anything with it.
  • New Spirits
    This one is obvious. Any new released game can easily provide some new spirits for Smash Ultimate as a free update.
  • New Bosses
    New bosses are much easier to develop then characters and they can showcase very unique characters, which would never make the cut as characters. The team could also update the Classic-Mode of some character to have new final bosses. Maybe you can fight each boss separately in a Boss Battle Mode and see, how fast you can beat him alone. There are still a some bosses missing from older Smash games (Metal Mario, Petey Piranha. Rayquaza. Porky. Duon, Ridley, Meta Ridley, Tabuu and Master Core).
  • New Stages
    Smash 4 got some new stages, which were not tight to any character (Mario Maker, N64 Stages, Duck Hunt and Pirate Ship) and there are still some older stages missing (best chances would have Mute City, Poké Floats, Wooly World, Orbital Gate, Pyrosphere, reworked Pac-Maze, reworked Jungle Hijinx). So i can see some more happening besides the one in the DLC bundle.
  • New Echos
    It would be weird, that they introduce the name and not build on it. Echos are easier to build and balance then new fighters and could be released for free. There are still a lot of easy options left (Medusa, Dixie, Funky Kong, Ninten, Roll, Proto Man, Shadow ,Octolings, etc.).
While I agree bosses will never be as complicated as characters to implement, I wouldn't hold my breath on free new bosses. The ones in the game are all fairly...not super complex, but they have a lot of variety in their movesets.

Status
Not open for further replies.