• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Fun idea for an online mode:

SMASH BROTHERS EXTINCTION

Every win made by a character in online matches is accumulated, and every two days the character with the least wins in Extinction mode is removed from Extinction mode. Last character standing wins!

drclaw411

Mar 22, 2018
This is easily the worst lead up to a Smash game ever, and it has nothing to do with how Nintendo/Sakurai handled things.
If we really look at why there is hostility, I think it boils down to this (in order):

• Nintendo blew their load early with two directs (E3 and Smash) giving not only piles of information, but three of the most requested characters in series history (Ridley, Simon, K Rool).
  • Despite Sakurai's warning not to expect much, this basically set the tone for the hype and people were expecting to get a steady stream of info and characters until launch.
  • Another Nintendo Direct happens, after weeks of silence, and we get Isabelle and nothing else. No information whatsoever, and a character who is seen by many as "meh".
  • The weeks then turn to months, and there is absolutely zero official information out. All we have is the Box Theory, and insider after insider saying Ken and Incineroar. Some insiders say it's them + more, some say they're all we have left. The speculation and hype essentially falls to an all time low for a Smash hype cycle. Everybody is still excited for the game, but people are growing tired of the endless debates about Kencineroar and why that's a crappy way to end the reveals.
  • When the relative dormancy is at its peak, out of nowhere the Grinch Leak happens. There is an absolutely ridiculous amount of circumstantial evidence going for it, and nobody seems to be able to prove it false. Everyone gets very excited because not only is this not Kencineroar, not only is it FINALLY new information about anything Smash related, but it features some very heavily requested characters (much closer to the standard set by Ridley/Simon/K Rool than Kencineroar would be).
  • The insiders attempt to do us all a favor by telling us what they know. They share information that they essentially know for a fact that the Grinch leak is fake.
  • People get defensive, wanting the Grinch leak to be real. They demand the insiders reveal their sources and their information and offer some legitimate proof. Meanwhile, more and more circumstantial evidence comes out in favor of the Grinch leak.
  • PapaGenos makes several videos in favor of the Grinch leak.
  • With every new bit of information or happenstance that comes out in the Grinch leak's favor, the insiders get louder and more insistent that it's fake. This basically causes a cycle. The more reason to believe the Grinch leak is real, the more aggressive the insiders get in their insistence that it's fake, the more demanding the fanbase gets with their requestes for the insiders to reveal their sources/info. Rinse and repeat.
  • This continues on, and it's basically become the insiders vs the community, with PapaGenos believing the grinch leak and also telling everybody to stop being so hateful to the insiders.
  • Some less than stellar individuals start sending death threats, hate messages, and general idiocy to the insiders for denouncing the grinch leak without revealing their reasons why.
  • Insiders, understandably, get very angry with this and respond accordingly. Insiders at this point are also very much taking a "you need to believe me" stance, rather than a "believe me or don't" stance. Probably because of how they've been treated, some of them are very adamant about how wrong Team Real is.
  • Finally, Emily Rogers comes out against the Grinch leak. She gives specific reasons why (some characters shown are assist trophies, some characters shown aren't in the game at all, etc).
  • People are more inclined to believe her, but are still acting salty and angry towards most insiders. Insiders are starting to say they're done leaking in general because of how shittily they were treated when they came out against the Grinch theory.
  • The Grinch Theory, at this point, appears to be fake. In fact, it appears to be the most elaborate, extensive, and effort-eating fake leak of all time in the history of both Smash and gaming.
  • Some people are realizing they were pricks to the insiders. Some people are trying to defend themselves with the "yeah, well YOU held the carrot on a stick in front of us!" argument, as if that justifies anything.
  • Basically, this Grinch leak happened when we had absolutely 0 information to talk about whatsoever for a long time. Then it comes out, seems perfect and real, and the insiders denounce it. People ask why, insiders say they can't reveal that. People say "why should we believe you in the face of all this evidence?", insiders say "trust us". Frankly, I think if the official news was more spread out and not all clusterfucked at the beginning...there would have been far, far less of a shitstorm when the insiders and community disagreed with each other over the Grinch leak.

Last edited:

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Not related to that, Phoenix could have such a cool moveset full of neat references to the Ace Attorney games. Use evidence as a projectile, OBJECTION! as a counter, stepladder for a recovery, etc etc.

This is my dream.

Along with Professor Layton and Banjo-Kazoooie. These three are the only three I want and they all represent something very under-represented from Nintendo's history. Plus they're my three favorite characters not in Smash.

Odds any of these get in via DLC?

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty stupid to blame personal misbehavior and hostility on how a company ran it's marketing campaign.

Just, I don't know, don't be dicks? To a normal person, they just get this information as it comes and they're fine with it. They don't go hunting for weird fakes and harassing people who may or may not know things. That would have happened no matter how they chose to release information.

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I have a wild theory about who another newcomer is going to be

And the Smash fandom will be super divided at him

The basis for my theory is kinda a spoiler for something recently released, so I won't post it in the open.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's pretty stupid to blame personal misbehavior and hostility on how a company ran it's marketing campaign.

Just, I don't know, don't be dicks? To a normal person, they just get this information as it comes and they're fine with it. They don't go hunting for weird fakes and harassing people who may or may not know things.
That's crazy talk, dude. Way too much work.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai: Remember when I said I'd reveal you last?
Incineroar: That's right! You're going to reveal me last!
Sakurai: Are wa uso da.
*Incineroar falls off a cliff*

I couldn't find another Japanese sitcom dub, but I'd feel bad to post almost a whole movie.

ItsKipz

Oct 27, 2018
This is my dream.

Along with Professor Layton and Banjo-Kazoooie. These three are the only three I want and they all represent something very under-represented from Nintendo's history. Plus they're my three favorite characters not in Smash.

- Wright

I'd say possible or even likely if there's fan outcry for him

- Layton

Less known and thus less likely than Wright (also way less popular in Japan) but still possible

- B-K

...I'm not sure. It's always possible, but BK is already a mess of multiple copyright holders and would be a nightmare to negotiate.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is my dream.

I feel like Phoenix is kinda likely just because he could get an easy two-for-one deal by giving him an Edgeworth or Apollo echo. Phoenix vs Edgeworth fighting each other in Smash just seems like it'd be hilarious (Maya and Gumshoe could be their Grabs, like Peach's Toad)

Soralight8

Oct 25, 2017
let all rember no good could form leaks wheather you think it real or fake

(this is offtopic but happened to halloween)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai: Remember when I said I'd reveal you last?
Incineroar: That's right! You're going to reveal me last!
Sakurai: Are wa uso da.
*Incineroar falls off a cliff*

I couldn't find another Japanese sitcom dub, but I'd feel bad to post almost a whole movie.
Is this a Japanese version of the scene in Commando where Arnold dangles Sully over a cliff?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So on this frightful night of Halloween, why don't we pass the time by sharing spooky Smash stories. I warn you though, the following stories are not for the feint of heart.

Well, let us begin.

Little Eric was a fan of the Super Smash Brothers games. In fact he was such a fan he loved to talk about them with anyone he met. Well, one day he thought he'd seek new people to talk to so he went online. Into Google he typed 'super smash bros community' and clicked the first link. The link was to Smashboards!

Mwuwahahahahahahahaha!

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly, every step of the way for this hype cycle has had its downers. The Grinch backlash is just the biggest bummer of them all. Be it port-truthers or box theorists, there's always been a sizable contingent of people that are intent on raining on other people's parades. The most positive this cycle has been was immediately before and after the August Direct. The world was ours for the taking back then.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
That's fair.

Honestly the past month has been the worst time to talk about Smash.

After the teaser every thing was alright. We probably talked way too much about it being a port but it was fine otherwise.

Post E3 was great. The game looked fantastic and while it seemed there wasn't much new content at first the amount that we've seen was already amazing and served Smash fans well.

Post Smash Direct was awesome. Alot of new content, great newcomers, and opening up the door for alot of speculation.

Post Nintendo Direct/Isabelle was where things dipped significantly. Isabelle is a good and understandable inclusion but boy is she for a very specific audience and her announcement was here to serve the AC announcement. Then Box Theory came and fucked everything up and constricted speculation for the whole month and got people really hungry for info. Which is probably why the Grinch leak exploded the way it did. If there's one thing I wish never came out even more so then Grinch leak it's that dumb box. I would even go as far as to say that box planted the seed for the toxic mess the Grinch leak became.

Box Theory probably wouldn't be so bad if Ken/Incineroar weren't the prevailing rumor.

Oct 25, 2017
If someone from Undertale is an assist trophy or playable character, I'd rather have that than Banjo. In fact, I wonder how Vinesauce would react to it?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I have a wild theory about who another newcomer is going to be

And the Smash fandom will be super divided at him

The basis for my theory is kinda a spoiler for something recently released, so I won't post it in the open.
It isn't going to be an Undertale character if that's what you're implying, lol. Just no way.

I do think a Spirits mode boss fight and/or assist trophy is likely however.

drclaw411

Mar 22, 2018
Honestly, every step of the way for this hype cycle has had its downers. The Grinch backlash is just the biggest bummer of them all. Be it port-truthers or box theorists, there's always been a sizable contingent of people that are intent on raining on other people's parades. The most positive this cycle has been was immediately before and after the August Direct. The world was ours for the taking back then.
It was a good time. The optimists were right, and were happy about it. The pessimists were wrong, and were happy about it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Just, I don't know, don't be dicks? To a normal person, they just get this information as it comes and they're fine with it. They don't go hunting for weird fakes and harassing people who may or may not know things. That would have happened no matter how they chose to release information.
On an individual level you're right, each person is responsible for their own actions. However, when you look at the collective, that behavior wasn't so generalized in previous hype cycles due to how information was constantly released. This big break between the post-E3 Direct and the upcoming one, with basically only Isabelle's reveal between those two points, was a mistake and unintentionally caused those reactions.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
  • Basically, this Grinch leak happened when we had absolutely 0 information to talk about whatsoever for a long time. Then it comes out, seems perfect and real, and the insiders denounce it. People as why, insiders say they can't reveal that. People say "why should we believe you in the face of all this evidence?", insiders say "trust us". Frankly, I think if the official news was more spread out and not all clusterfucked at the beginning...there would have been far, far less of a shitstorm when the insiders and community disagreed with each other over the Grinch leak.

I cannot agree more with this point. I still believe it was a really bad idea on Sakurai's, the Smash team, and Nintendo's to "slow down" on the reveals after Isabelle. Holy hell, it was like 45+ days without any info? People were CRAVING for something besides the daily blog posts with info everyone already knew, of course they were gonna pick up ANYTHING revelant, interesting, NEW at that point, hence why the Grinch leak gained so much traction.

We are nobody to tell Nintendo how to handle their business, but yeah, a lot of what is happening could have been avoided if they were a lil' more open with their game. Is like, they didn't need this Valve's levels of secrecy, everybody knows Smash is coming and is their biggest seller for the holiday season, even if we know is gonna sell like hotcakes by itself, you still have to promote it accordingly.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yes. A very out there third party pick too.
UDUNQjK.jpg

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Spirits mode features a bunch of game franchises that don't have playable representation in Smash. Maybe Monster Hunter, Undertale, Minecraft, etc.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, I'm a straight dude but I'll get harder than a diamond in a blizzard if they announce Malos

Status
Not open for further replies.