• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'd assume as a replacement for Twilight Princess Zelda, like BotW Link replaced Twilight Princess Link.

It's not like they weren't justified. They were led to believe they were getting a straightforward crossover. Instead, they got a mostly unrelated otaku game.
It's still a crossover. It's just a thematic one and not the typical setup of Cast A fighting Cast B until they team up to take on the true villain.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we have enough context about BOTW2, Zelda's role in it, whatever to really speculate about her (or another Zelda character) for DLC.

I do wonder how people would react, though. Is three Zeldas too many? Is Sheik different enough to "not count?"

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
If we were to assume spirits still hinder the chances of a character getting in there's still one viable Zelda rep - classic pig Ganon.

We have OoT Ganon transformation, Beast Ganon and Calamity Ganon as spirits, but no classic pig form.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we have enough context about BOTW2, Zelda's role in it, whatever to really speculate about her (or another Zelda character) for DLC.

I do wonder how people would react, though. Is three Zeldas too many? Is Sheik different enough to "not count?"
Sheik plays entirely different from Zelda, unlike Link, Lank, and Lonk.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Honestly Yggdrasil's Altar is probably my favorite DLC stage. Mementos and Spiral Mountain hurt my eyes and KoF is just whatever.

The fact that we never got an Opera House stage for Fates is a travesty.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think BOTW2 passes by without some kind of Smash representation, if only from a publisher standpoint.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like any of the DLC stages but then there's maybe five stages post-Melee I do like.

Thank god for Battlefield toggle.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The SMT X Fire emblem reveal lead me to believe it would be a much different game.

It ended on a bleak image of a catastrophe.

And then TMS happened lol. Made me lose interest immediately but I still bought it since there wasn't much else to play at the time. It's pretty good but misleading. That's what happens when you reveal things before you know that they were suppose to Be.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's still a crossover. It's just a thematic one
hqdefault.jpg

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Mementos is my favorite DLC stage but I play with hazards off, so I don't have to deal with the train.

Yggdrasil's Altar is cool.

Spiral Mountain isn't really fun. I don't like playing on the KOF Arena, and I'm sure I'm going to turn off Garreg Mach and take it off random as soon as I download it.

Castle Siege is the only fun FE stage.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think BOTW2 passes by without some kind of Smash representation, if only from a publisher standpoint.
Hopefully Zelda ends up being playable in BotW2, leading to her being playable on her own in Smash. Sure, it'd be the third Zelda. But at this point, I'll take what I can get.

MoonGirard

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
See, that's true, but Anna has the benefit of being FEH representation but also not as alienating as an FEH-only character would be.

As long as she is based of Heroes Anna with other Anna's as costumes sure but just the fact the other 3 out of 5 playable Anna's all use swords would make me worry Sakurai would make her an amalgamation and she'd used a sword since it's her most common weapon.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the stars align and BOTW2 stars Zelda, Sakurai and co will practically trip over themselves to add Zelda

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If we were to assume spirits still hinder the chances of a character getting in there's still one viable Zelda rep - classic pig Ganon.

We have OoT Ganon transformation, Beast Ganon and Calamity Ganon as spirits, but no classic pig form.
Or the much better pick that is Twili Midna

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018

Skyward Sword Impa is safe too, only the Ocarina of Time Impa got a spirit.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
The SMT X Fire emblem reveal lead me to believe it would be a much different game.

It ended on a bleak image of a catastrophe.

And then TMS happened lol. Made me lose interest immediately but I still bought it since there wasn't much else to play at the time. It's pretty good but misleading. That's what happens when you reveal things before you know that they were suppose to Be.
TMS is still pretty bleak
just in a more "unironically lionizing the idol industry" sort of way

Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like how uninspired a lot of the stages were in Ultimate. New Donk City Hall is a somewhat bland way to depict the location; Dracula's Castle was great but it was like, the obvious way to represent a CV stage; Spiral Mountain is a pretty obvious stage, and not as cool as Click Clock Woods would have been; Great Plateau Tower is super boring and too safe; etc.

The stages just seem really afraid of doing something unexpected. The only stage that surprised me was Mementos, and that's because of how it was done. Mementos is kind of the "obvious" choice, a recurring area of Persona 5. Imagine if we got New Donk City Festival, or if we got a Divine Beast, or if we got Clock Tower instead of Dracula's Castle. I bet if Sakurai went into Melee with the mindset he has today, we would have gotten Clock Town or Termina Field over Great Bay.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's just funny to me how some of the most commonly suggested new Zelda reps are Pig Ganon and now BOTW Zelda.

If we get any new Zelda reps, they're all just gonna be variations of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf lmao

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tentatively excited to eventually pick up TMS on Switch but I think it's valid that people got excited for the idea of Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei, only to be disappointed in what it eventually became.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why everyone here is down on TMS

It ended up being better than P5

And even its take on the idol industry is vapid it was still mostly inoffensive game

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I really didn't like how uninspired a lot of the stages were in Ultimate. New Donk City Hall is a somewhat bland way to depict the location; Dracula's Castle was great but it was like, the obvious way to represent a CV stage; Spiral Mountain is a pretty obvious stage, and not as cool as Click Clock Woods would have been; Great Plateau Tower is super boring and too safe; etc.

The stages just seem really afraid of doing something unexpected. The only stage that surprised me was Mementos, and that's because of how it was done. Mementos is kind of the "obvious" choice, a recurring area of Persona 5. Imagine if we got New Donk City Festival, or if we got a Divine Beast, or if we got Clock Tower instead of Dracula's Castle. I bet if Sakurai went into Melee with the mindset he has today, we would have gotten Clock Town or Termina Field over Great Bay.
I'm still mad the P5 stage wasn't like downtown Shibuya or something.

I want my Smash characters to be fighting in the real world while normal human onlookers watch in horror. It was our one chance.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
What I want from botw 2 is a party system

Which should push a lot of characters if that happened

Zelda i am guessing will have unique slate powers complete guessing speculation

Otherwise I think she will use swords and spears and the like same as link

I hope botw 2 has underwater swimming and a playable zora as fun as majoras mask

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
It's just funny to me how some of the most commonly suggested new Zelda reps are Pig Ganon and now BOTW Zelda.

If we get any new Zelda reps, they're all just gonna be variations of Link, Zelda and Ganondorf lmao
Well Link, Zelda, and Ganon are the most popular characters of the series. Variations of them are gonna be the most requested characters for the series.

Especially since I doubt much people outside of forums like these care about the playable Zelda cast all being variations of them.

I want my Smash characters to be fighting in the real world while normal human onlookers watch in horror. It was our one chance.
That's what Kiryu is for.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

I was just basing this on a made up rule of spirits are still an obstacle and found it was amusing that Classic Pig Ganon somehow didn't have one despite how many spirits the Zelda series has.

If I go wild I'd much rather have someone totally unique like Tingle. Saying that, I do feel Ganon is different enough from Ganondorf to not be seen as just another version of him like the three Links are.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If BOTW Zelda does end up playable, even in a deuteragonist sort of way, it'd be a great way to jam all of the random weapons and slate powers and stuff into the game. Maybe we can finally get a full-time spear wielder or something.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

If they were going to do that, New Donk City (which is I think the Ultimate stage with the most wasted potential) would have been the one.

Oct 25, 2017
I was just basing this on a made up rule of spirits are still an obsticle and found it was amusing that Classic Pig Ganon somehow didn't have one despite how many spirits the Zelda series has.

If I go wild I'd much rather have someone totally unique like Tingle. Saying that, I do feel Ganon is different enough from Ganondorf to not be seen as just another version of him like the three Links are.

Honestly, my shortlist of wanted characters for Zelda are

Midna
Tingle
Toon Zelda
Impa
Urbosa

(ok not that short)

I'm down with an explicit second Zelda, though I'd rather have something unique like Toon Zelda from Spirit Tracks. Tingle was my original most-wanted, mainly because I loved how goofy and ridiculous the character was, and now I'm stanning hard for Midna as a unique bodyshape and design, Impa for WOC representation and naginata user, and Urbosa for WOC representation and also a nice representation for a Zelda race that isn't problematic like Ganondorf lol.

I'll take just about anything from Zelda though, it'd been a long time coming.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
New Donk City should have been the festival at the end or the town taken over at the beginning or explore around the actual city and not just the tower. It feels like they lean on "It's just a traveling stage around a tower" when they don't really have any idea for what to do with it, but NDC should not have lacked for ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.