• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
We know less about Nintendo's 2020 lineup right now than we did about their 2019 lineup this time last year.

They won't wait until March, or probably February, to reveal more about the coming year.
And then there's the fact that FDC likely won't be released outside of Japan, so that only makes matters worse internationally.

Granted, I do hope it gets localized, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
And then there's the fact that FDC likely won't be released outside of Japan, so that only makes matters worse internationally.

I'd bet on it being localised, but only getting a digital release. They'll announce the localisation when they have English footage to show; revealing a previously Japan-Only game with Japanese footage wouldn't have made for the best announcement.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
I'd bet on it being localised, but only getting a digital release. They'll announce the localisation when they have English footage to show; revealing a previously Japan-Only game with Japanese footage wouldn't have made for the best announcement.
I also wouldn't be shocked if it comes out a month or two after the Japanese release. Don't see FDC getting the day one localization treatment.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
For whatever reason I decided to sit down and replay Link to the Past. It's the third time I've beaten but, BUT, technically the first time I've beaten the SNES version. The other two times were the GBA port (my first Zelda game!)

We need Ganon as a DLC fighter with a Dark World stage like Ganon's Tower or the Golden Pyramid. It'd be a nice place to put all the Link the Past songs, since they sort of float around not quite fitting perfectly on the current Zelda stages.

Aug 12, 2019
Well, I went back to the Geno thread after an extended break and got into a discussion turned dispute about the status of Mii fighter costumes, only for it to blow up and nearly get the thread locked again... Seems about right unfortunately...

So, how are people doing here? Any new exciting Smash thoughts and or personal revelations? Anyone picked up any new characters in the speculation game that they hadn't supported before?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I think a straight up recreation of Ganon's cartoony A Link to the Past official art would be a fun way to interpret the character in Smash. Would be an easy way to get around his smaller size in comparison to Ganondorf.
latest

Just this, but in 3D. No attempts to modernize him or make him scarier.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This wont get localized, but we'll get Mini Mario's Nintendo Amiibo Challenge instead and like it.

Mar 9, 2018

Hey jokesters. Tits is a legitimate Smash design. And I admit, I like it, unironically. But I always liked that TP-style grunge. Looks a little weird as just a skin though.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Ganondorf: *shows you his fursona*

"OwO what's this?"
My countwy way within a vast desewt. When the sun wose into the sky, a buwnying wind punyished my wands, seawing the wowwd. And when the moon cwimbed into the dawk of nyight, a fwigid gawe piewced ouw homes. Nyo mattew when it came, the wind cawwied the same thing... Death. But the winds that bwew acwoss the gween fiewds of Hywuwe bwought something othew than suffewing and wuin. I cuvted that wind, I suppowse. ^_^

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My countwy way within a vast desewt. When the sun wose into the sky, a buwnying wind punyished my wands, seawing the wowwd. And when the moon cwimbed into the dawk of nyight, a fwigid gawe piewced ouw homes. Nyo mattew when it came, the wind cawwied the same thing... Death. But the winds that bwew acwoss the gween fiewds of Hywuwe bwought something othew than suffewing and wuin. I cuvted that wind, I suppowse. ^_^
mKWusXI.png

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I'll just post my hot take DLC predictions/hopes:
  1. Terra - Final Fantasy VI
  2. Arle & Carbuncle - Puyo Puyo
  3. Doom Slayer - Doom
  4. Master Chief - Halo
  5. Bub & Bob - Bubble Bobble

Feb 24, 2018
Question, why is Geralt often a top pick for Smash Ultimate when like Goku, Shrek and Vader, he's not a game character, he existed in book form for over 17 years before his game debut?

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lloyd Irving is missing. :(

So are a good chunk of the characters I frequently discuss, outside the most recent ones, but that's what the bottom ultra-slot is for I suppose. Though I suppose I can't recall what all I discuss here or what I discuss just in the Discord...

Question, why is Geralt often a top pick for Smash Ultimate when like Goku, Shrek and Vader, he's not a game character, he existed in book form for over 17 years before his game debut?

Because people are silly and barely recognize he's not a game character because the game is what they know him from. He's very much on the same level as Iron Man, the Ninja Turtles, or Gandalf. They may exist in games, even very popular ones, but they totally don't count.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I think the general argument is that the video games are what made The Witcher popular, at least in North America. DBZ, Shrek, Star Wars, etc. were already popular in the west through different mediums before they got any video game adaptations. Plus he's already got some cross-over pedigree with Soul Calibur.

Artyom from Metro would be in a similar boat if that franchise was any more popular.

Or Dracula I guess but when something is in the public domain it kinda becomes a free-for-all

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Or Dracula I guess but when something is in the public domain it kinda becomes a free-for-all

Dracula is definitely a very special case. Not only is he public domain, but he's a character that appears all over media. That status doesn't really change that the Dracula in Smash is very specifically the CastleVania Dracula, which, while CV uses elements from the original novel and even references events and characters, it's very much its own series. The Witcher games on the other hand are licensed games based on the novels that are still owned by Andrzej Sapkowski.

While not related to Smash, another example would be a lot of Disney characters. "Aladdin" the public domain figure who's story has been adapted into several different mediums and Disney's Aladdin are two completely different entities.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dracula is definitely a very special case. Not only is he public domain, but he's a character that appears all over media. That status doesn't really change that the Dracula in Smash is very specifically the CastleVania Dracula, which, while CV uses elements from the original novel and even references events and characters, it's very much its own series. The Witcher games on the other hand are licensed games based on the novels that are still owned by Andrzej Sapkowski.

While not related to Smash, another example would be a lot of Disney characters. "Aladdin" the public domain figure who's story has been adapted into several different mediums and Disney's Aladdin are two completely different entities.

Yeah agreed, most Fate characters also seem to fall into this camp too. While they're based on historical figures, they're obviously their own entities.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about Dr Kawashima?

Probably the same category as Dr. Wright. Based on a real person but the version in Smash is very specifically a game character and doesn't have weird licensing issues or non-game related things to worry about. The real life Dr. Kawashima, as far as I know, is not known to turn red and sprout horns.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've had this discussion a lot. Goku is just anime Goku in a video game, not a substantially transformed version of the character. Dracula is clearly Castlevania Dracula, a relatively unique entity.

Is Geralt from the games substantially different from the other incarnations, enough to be recognized and understood as "a video game character?" Dunno. I think that's up to Sakurai.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think a straight up recreation of Ganon's cartoony A Link to the Past official art would be a fun way to interpret the character in Smash. Would be an easy way to get around his smaller size in comparison to Ganondorf.
latest

Just this, but in 3D. No attempts to modernize him or make him scarier.

The Oracle games sprites/artwork already had a good modernization of that design that makes him less goofy while still being obviously recognizable.
Link Between Worlds even seemed to use pretty much the same design.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely think people forget Geralt is a book character

I knew he was a book character and still go "oh right he's a book character" any time i see discussion of book vs game

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Geralt is in a bit of a weird area where he's ultimately a literary character but the video game adaptations are so dominant outside of Poland that to many (especially in the predominantly-American internet) he's "become" a game character. At the very least it seems really easy for Geralt's game incarnation to cross over to other properties.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Would the GameBoy Camera mascot be eligible, a character designed purely for the marketing materials of a game, but barely features in the game itself (just one picture in the B Album)?

n8tQ2Bf.png

We can push it one step further - would the mascot for the GameBoy Printer be eligible when they don't appear in any game at all despite technically being a game related character.

Q53zVVv.jpg

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
The Oracle games sprites/artwork already had a good modernization of that design that makes him less goofy while still being obviously recognizable.

Link Between Worlds even seemed to use pretty much the same design.
Yeah even those I think go a little too far. Just straight up the ALttP design is all I really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.