• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm sorry, Pauline is great, and she and Jump Up Super Star were the best part of Odyssey, but...

I for the life of me just can't imagine her actually being a playable fighter in Smash. I know people are going to jump on me and say "BUT WII FIT TRAINER AND VILLAGER AND CAPTAIN FALCON", but like...how do I put this?

Sakurai said awhile back that, in order for a character to work in Smash, they need to, as he puts it, "dance" in his head. Just look at Villager and WFT, Yes, they're non-combatant characters in the games they come from, but they still had a lot to work with. WFT's entire moveset is directly taken from several yoga poses and exercises in Wii Fit, and Villager's moveset, as well as Isabelle's, are deprived from the various tools and activities you do in Animal Crossing (fishing, planting and cutting trees down, collecting items, etc).

I just don't really see how Pauline can really "dance" in Smash in the same way. She just...doesn't really do anything besides singing. I've seen some people say "well, why not just pair her with Cappy?", which thematically makes zero sense because they don't have any connection to each other whatsoever, unlike Rosalina & Luma where the former is the latter's caretaker.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If I had to rank GameXplain's Top 15 myself but keep the characters, here's how I'd do it.
  1. Twintelle
  2. Chun-Li
  3. Urbosa
  4. Arle
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Lara Croft
  7. Pearl & Marina
  8. Terra
  9. Pyra/Mythra
  10. Pauline
  11. Impa
  12. Shantae
  13. Tifa
  14. Medusa
  15. Amy
Though thinking about it, crafting that list must have been tough.

Last edited:
Sabi and Vegeben: *claim to deconfirm huge swaths of characters*

Me, who's super cynical about the chances of any character but also honestly hasn't been taking any of the claims from either of them seriously since this whole thing started: "Well, honestly Doomslayer's pet rabbit being named Daisy is a more convincing argument in favor of him getting in than anything else that's been presented so far, unlike the usual cloud-gazing in screenshots this one had a deliberate framing and Sakurai loves making references. Not gonna jump out of my seat if it turns out he's not in either but-

Sabi and Vergeben: *lighting things on fire in the background as the masses run screaming in terror aflame*

Me, actively ignoring the entire scene and continuing on my tangent: -it would make sense for Sakurai to drop that kind of cheeky reference if there was intended to be a reveal by now, so if Captain Testosterone shows up at the Game Awards then we're all gonna look back at that screenshot in hindsight and go 'oh well that makes sense.'"

You're not the only one who noticed.

Mar 9, 2018
One of my least favorite things to do is being a hater. But having Pauline be #1 out of all of those characters makes me think the video creators were raised on Lemmy's Land or something. Some crazy radioactive Mario fan craziness had to happen behind the scenes for that to end up as the result.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Vergeben and Sabi don't come out of this without their credibility torpedoed, but I know for a fact people will just continue to believe them once they backpedal. Smash fans are really, really dumb.
The fact that Stealth___ apparently even had a reputation going into Smash Ultimate is an immense amount of evidence towards that just on it's own.

You'd think people would keep tabs on these things considering the insane amount of skepticism shown towards even things like the ESRB leak back during the Smash 4 days, but sometimes it really comes off like the fandom as an indistinct mass lives in an eternal time loop of Opposite Day.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still leaning towards either Doomslayer or Chell for Challenger 5, more so Doomslayer. They're both from big-name franchises that offer new settings, mechanics, and representation for entire swaths of the medium to Smash.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to rank GameXplain's Top 15 myself but keep the characters, here's how I'd do it.
  1. Twintelle
  2. Chun-Li
  3. Arle
  4. Lara Croft
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Terra
  7. Pearl & Marina
  8. Pyra/Mythra
  9. Impa
  10. Pauline
  11. Impa
  12. Shantae
  13. Tifa
  14. Medusa
  15. Amy
Though thinking about it, crafting that list must have been tough.
Impa is so good you put her twice.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pauline is a weird ass choice to make the Top 50 list much less Top 1. Ah well it was just a list for fun and to illustrate how there's still plenty of female character candidates especially since as I'm skimming through the video they missed Reimu which is a pretty huge omission considering the past few months of Smash speculation

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Kiddy Kong would make a good Final Smash partner for Dixie.

It would feel odd if he was just Dixie's projectile or something.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
That's just sad from Sabi.

Probably reading these threads all the time hoping we worship them.
On the bright side, at least they haven't, say, gone out of their way to try to defend their points on here, deliberately insulted a bunch of people, and then crawled back to Twitter to ask for sympathy points when people called them out on it.

. . .Although the fact that Sabi isn't anywhere near the bottom of the barrel as far as leakers go is somehow sad just in itself.

Mar 9, 2018
Kiddy Kong would make a good Final Smash partner for Dixie.

It would feel odd if he was just Dixie's projectile or something.
But that is how things are supposed to be. That is how Kiddy was used in the game. Dixie could launch Kiddy in the air to break floors. She could also ride him like a wheel. Kiddy was always a weapon first, a baby second.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'm just warning y'all because there's still time to walk it back:

"Remember when Nintendo tweeted a picture of Daisy and people thought it was a hint for Doomguy because of his pet rabbit" is going to be joked about here for a while.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
But that is how things are supposed to be. That is how Kiddy was used in the game. Dixie could launch Kiddy in the air to break floors. She could also ride him like a wheel. Kiddy was always a weapon first, a baby second.
Technically I guess, but it feels less dignifying.

I'll repost on comparing Move Tools vs Final Smash Assistances:

Move tools:
  • F.L.U.D.D
  • Toad x2
  • Phantom
  • Pikmin
  • Gordo
  • Lloid
  • PAC-MAN's ghosts in smash attacks
  • Mechakoopa
  • Gunmen

Final Smashes have:
  • Yoshi armada
  • Star Fox Crew x2
  • Paula & Poo
  • Samus
  • Kumatora & Boney
  • Star Wolf crew
  • Tom Nook & co. x2
  • Mega Men + Proto Man & Bass
  • Chrom lol
  • Dunban, Riki & Spoiler
  • Gomorrah
  • Petey Piranha
  • Phantom Thieves
  • DQ Heroes
  • Jinjonator & Jinjos
It feels like actual characters are Final Smashes.

...Then again I guess that would be the point of Kiddy being a Tool lol

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So do Sabi and Vergeben agree on the deconfirmed characters? I remember awhile ago there was a rift in what they believed wasn't DLC 5 particularly around Capcom

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just warning y'all because there's still time to walk it back:

"Remember when Nintendo tweeted a picture of Daisy and people thought it was a hint for Doomguy because of his pet rabbit" is going to be joked about here for a while.
Hey, I'm not making any commitments. As I said already, could just as likely not happen.

That kind of reference would just be pretty in line with the kind of stuff we see in Spirit Battles. But if it turns out not to be that? No sweat off my back.

Not like we can predict most of these things anyway, it's just fun to try barring the many, many incidents where people act obnoxious about it. Pet rabbit is a particularly amusing concept, but as far as analyzing official screenshots goes it's by far the least nonsensical thing this fandom has pointed out. Lest we get into the fandom's analysis of clouds/rock formations and desperate mental gymnastics regarding semantics. At least the pet bunny's cute trivia!

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
And we see other people complaining about it at this point as well. One poster outright said they were leaving the Smash speculation scene until Character 5 was revealed. (And I wouldn't be surprised if others have quietly decided to step back from Smash speculation too.)

Yes, there are people who are humoring this. But we're seeing more people finally as fed up with this bullshit as I am.

Why you just leave the thread with NotLiquid? For your own sanity since you seems cranky most of time! Beside, 5 more days then hopefully this nonsense is over with.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
What Namco disconfirmation backtrack?
A while ago he deconfirmed Bamco, but in the recent orgy of deconfirmation he lists basically every Japanese company except Bamco.

It's always good to have both possible versions of the truth out there so your confirmation bias-happy fanbase can link back to the one that happened to be right as evidence of your leaking prowess.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
A while ago he deconfirmed Bamco, but in the recent orgy of deconfirmation he lists basically every Japanese company except Bamco.

It's always good to have both possible versions of the truth out there so your confirmation bias-happy fanbase can link back to the one that happened to be right as evidence of your leaking prowess.

No, it was top of 4 already disconfirmed companies. (Namco Bandai, Level 5, and another two are still disconfirmed according to him)

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
When has sakurai and his team ever teased any new character in advance? Cause all i remember are the greatest hits such as chair theory.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Hey, I'm not making any commitments. As I said already, could just as likely not happen.

That kind of reference would just be pretty in line with the kind of stuff we see in Spirit Battles. But if it turns out not to be that? No sweat off my back.

Not like we can predict most of these things anyway, it's just fun to try barring the many, many incidents where people act obnoxious about it. Pet rabbit is a particularly amusing concept, but as far as analyzing official screenshots goes it's by far the least nonsensical thing this fandom has pointed out. Lest we get into the fandom's analysis of clouds/rock formations and desperate mental gymnastics regarding semantics. At least the pet bunny's cute trivia!
I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo has ever dropped hints like that though. People think they do which leads to Chair Theory, but I can't recall a single instance of that every actually happening.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix doesn't really get to re-negotiate for a different character if they turn Geno down though. Sakurai will approach the company with a specific idea and ask for licensing rights. If he gets turned down, he's more than likely going to go somewhere else because it's extremely unlikely he's just shopping for another Square Enix character and would be including like Geno for more specific reasoning. It's basically more of a, "Do you want this money or not" approach.

I'm surprised this hasn't caused more of a panic within Smash speculation. "Little bit" would imply something more like 2-3 more characters and not a full season, let alone the remaining 10 "slots" found through data-mining... though, it does run a bit contrary to how Sakurai talked about more characters being announced back in September and his decision to keep adding on to Ultimate, so I suppose it could just be him being modest.

That's why it's always healthy to have a low expectations despite some "evidences" pointed otherwise. It's up to Nintendo and Sakurai wanting to make more characters or not. They probably leave many slots in just in case if they want to make that much or not so they don't have to fill out every single slots. I hope that all 16 slots would be filled out but I'm not going to acts like it's going to happens because we don't know if we would get second fighter pass or not, and we don't know how well they would sell.

If we didn't get fighter pass 2 then I think some people are going to freak out quite a lot.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
If Chosen Undead is revealed, Sabi will obviously play dumb about Bandai Namco's stake and claim to believe that only FromSoftware was involved.

Yup, that's what I said here I think. But I'm pretty sure that I said that in the discord. They would says, but it's not Namco Bandai, it's from From Software team.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going off this list:

Is there somewhere else where he says Bamco is still not happening? I thought this was supposed to be a collection of everything he knows
No, he added more to the list. He disconfirmed Level 5, Namco Bandai, Nippon and Ubisoft.

a47455834e990b294622e967efaadca5.gif

Verge and Sabi are just getting ridiculous

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
When has sakurai and his team ever teased any new character in advance? Cause all i remember are the greatest hits such as chair theory.
I don't think Sakurai or Nintendo has ever dropped hints like that though. People think they do which leads to Chair Theory, but I can't recall a single instance of that every actually happening.
My only thought on that is that the one year anniversary was immediately after last year's Game Awards date and that they intended for the final character to be revealed by now, but this year's Game Awards being later into the month threw a wrench in that. My willingness to entertain all this is probably increased by the fact that if nothing else I just find the coincidence and ensuing trivia interesting.

And, of course, that putting Daisy next to the DLC characters at least opens up the potential for a direct nod to something, as opposed to the downright. . .bizarre methods of divining people have resorted to in every other situation like this before. Assuming that Sakurai's sending subliminal messaging about future reveals via the coloration of cheap chairs in the background of a video was ludicrously nonsensical from the moment the idea left everyone's lips.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Guessing Daisy could be hinting at a female character is not that much of a stretch. With that said considering the composition of the image I'm thinking they probably wanted to commemorate the new Mario characters in the Center with the DLC around them

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm sorry, Pauline is great, and she and Jump Up Super Star were the best part of Odyssey, but...

I for the life of me just can't imagine her actually being a playable fighter in Smash. I know people are going to jump on me and say "BUT WII FIT TRAINER AND VILLAGER AND CAPTAIN FALCON", but like...how do I put this?

Sakurai said awhile back that, in order for a character to work in Smash, they need to, as he puts it, "dance" in his head. Just look at Villager and WFT, Yes, they're non-combatant characters in the games they come from, but they still had a lot to work with. WFT's entire moveset is directly taken from several yoga poses and exercises in Wii Fit, and Villager's moveset, as well as Isabelle's, are deprived from the various tools and activities you do in Animal Crossing (fishing, planting and cutting trees down, collecting items, etc).

I just don't really see how Pauline can really "dance" in Smash in the same way. She just...doesn't really do anything besides singing. I've seen some people say "well, why not just pair her with Cappy?", which thematically makes zero sense because they don't have any connection to each other whatsoever, unlike Rosalina & Luma where the former is the latter's caretaker.
Pauline should have a moveset based on Donkey Kong seeing how Donkey Kong has barely anything resembling his original game.

Meaning I want Pauline to throw barrels.

Mar 9, 2018
Technically I guess, but it feels less dignifying.

I'll repost on comparing Move Tools vs Final Smash Assistances:

Move tools:
  • F.L.U.D.D
  • Toad x2
  • Phantom
  • Pikmin
  • Gordo
  • Lloid
  • PAC-MAN's ghosts in smash attacks
  • Mechakoopa
  • Gunmen

Final Smashes have:
  • Yoshi armada
  • Star Fox Crew x2
  • Paula & Poo
  • Samus
  • Kumatora & Boney
  • Star Wolf crew
  • Tom Nook & co. x2
  • Mega Men + Proto Man & Bass
  • Chrom lol
  • Dunban, Riki & Spoiler
  • Gomorrah
  • Petey Piranha
  • Phantom Thieves
  • DQ Heroes
  • Jinjonator & Jinjos
It feels like actual characters are Final Smashes.

...Then again I guess that would be the point of Kiddy being a Tool lol
Don't forget Rush, from Mega Man.

I also consider FLUDD to be more of a character than Kiddy Kong.

Being a baby weapon fits Kiddy Kong's "personality", which is mostly just being big and babyish and somewhat mischievious.

Status
Not open for further replies.