Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2019
The other series that got a stage got two new characters...

The other series is Mario though, with one of those being an Echo as well that has animation differences.

Seriously, Ganondorf got about as much work as Daisy did, so I don't really see how Zelda got shafted when it got the most love of any returning series that also didn't get a new character on the character select screen since it brought back Young Link, redesigned Ganondorf, tuned Link quite a bit with a redesign, and gave new aesthetic designs to Zelda and Shiek, while also making Zelda probably the best she has ever been solo. It was also one of two new first party bosses with the absolutely awesome Ganon fight (the other being Marx of course). And then we also got Great Bay, Gerudo Valley, and Spirit Train in HD; which means that every Zelda stage across franchise history is actually in this game and we got a new Great Plateau Tower stage to boot.

I mean, sure, something like Donkey Kong got King K. Rool and a new assist trophy in Klaptrap, but it also lost the Jungle Hijinx stage and Rumble Falls is still missing alongside the fact that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong didn't really change much outside of final smashes.

I feel like you're focusing way too much on the character select screen considering Zelda as a franchise still got tons of love in Ultimate and still has beyond characters through Smash Brawl and Smash 4.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're focusing way too much on the character select screen considering Zelda as a franchise still got tons of love in Ultimate and still has beyond characters through Smash Brawl and Smash 4.

Well, again

The playable characters are by far what people care about the most when it comes to Smash, they're what drive the most attention and fanart and what not. That's why people tend to get upset about assist trophies, because it means, well, the characters they may of wanted won't be playable and won't be able to stand alongside Mario and Link.

Aug 12, 2019
Well, again

The playable characters are by far what people care about the most when it comes to Smash, they're what drive the most attention and fanart and what not. That's why people tend to get upset about assist trophies, because it means, well, the characters they may of wanted won't be playable and won't be able to stand alongside Mario and Link.

I think it's foolish to take that route though. Sakurai doesn't view it that way and lots of people understand that there is plenty of love and passion behind other parts of the game and that not every character you want to be playable is going to be that way. Which is why I think it's dumb when people throw fits over Assist trophies. They're great ways to include characters that probably wouldn't get as much attention as otherwise and it's not like there was much room for additional characters in base game with how the project plan played out anyway.

There's so much more to Smash than staring at a character select screen...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanting more Zelda characters is valid and it's weird y'all get so caught up on that.

Especially if your counterpoint is "well they added in one of the shittiest new levels in Smash history, so it all balances it out!"

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's foolish to take that route though. Sakurai doesn't view it that way and lots of people understand that there is plenty of love and passion behind other parts of the game and that not every character you want to be playable is going to be that way. Which is why I think it's dumb when people throw fits over Assist trophies. They're great ways to include characters that probably wouldn't get as much attention as otherwise and it's not like there was much room for additional characters in base game with how the project plan played out anyway.

There's so much more to Smash than staring at a character select screen...

I agreed since we got some awesome stages.

Gamer FTW

ONYsMIx.gif

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting more Zelda characters is valid and it's weird y'all get so caught up on that.

Especially if your counterpoint is "well they added in one of the shittiest new levels in Smash history, so it all balances it out!"
"I want more Zelda characters" and "Zelda got shafted" are two completely different statements. The former is fair. The latter implies that stages, assist trophies, items, bosses, and music don't matter.

Aug 12, 2019
I agreed since we got some awesome stages.

Gamer FTW

Gamer was my favorite Smash Wii U stage added, and it's one of the reasons I couldn't honestly care less when people start to complain about the lack of an additional Wario Ware rep...

Like, Wario Ware and Gamer are two of the best and most fun stages in Smash (unless you're competitive, in which case continue enjoying those same 5 stages out of a literal 107 right now), WarioWare has gotten some love where it really counts.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

Wanting new Zelda characters is fine.

Acting like papa Sakurai has denied the series greatness and given it nothing on the other hand is dumb doo doo for silly heads.

Aug 12, 2019

Nah. Great Plateau Tower is great and aesthetically wonderful to boot. You just don't like fun things.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Statistically since there are more Mario fans then Zelda fans

There would then be statistically more Right wing Mario fans then there statistically right wing Zelda fans

So by appealing to Mario fans over Zelda fans you are therefore appealing to fascist

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Though maybe we would have gotten a new Zelda character if Smash fans rallied around one instead of Ganondorf's non-canon sword from Spaceworld.

Nah. Great Plateau Tower is great and aesthetically wonderful to boot. You just don't like fun things.

The only positive to Great Plateau Tower is that it isn't the worst Zelda stage in the game which is Bridge of Eldin, an actual rectangle.

Aug 12, 2019

This also needs to be emphasized. Metroid got Dark Samus and Ridley, which were other huge things, but they also only got Brinstar Depths back and Pyrosphere got cut when it was perfectly fine (I guess to satisfy Ridley fans, which is dumb) and Planet Zebes is one of the cooler N64 stages that just got left behind because it shares some similarities with Brinstar...

Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon all got the most consistent love of the first parties coming into Ultimate as one would expect. Zelda didn't get a new fighter, but it got basically everything else.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
"I want more Zelda characters" and "Zelda got shafted" are two completely different statements. The former is fair. The latter implies that stages, assist trophies, items, bosses, and music don't matter.

FKcrkZz.gif

Gamer was my favorite Smash Wii U stage added, and it's one of the reasons I couldn't honestly care less when people start to complain about the lack of an additional Wario Ware rep...

Like, Wario Ware and Gamer are two of the best and most fun stages in Smash (unless you're competitive, in which case continue enjoying those same 5 stages out of a literal 107 right now), WarioWare has gotten some love where it really counts.

Yeah, I'm disappointed with the stage random function since it seems like to repeat some stages frequently than other because sometime it's stupidly rare to see some stages depends on the days.

Also people here should try Bee + Cucco + final smash with your friends. you don't know the feeling, "annoying" until you try this combo of items.

Aug 12, 2019
Though maybe we would have gotten a new Zelda character if Smash fans rallied around one instead of Ganondorf's non-canon sword from Spaceworld.

The only positive to Great Plateau Tower is that it isn't the worst Zelda stage in the game which is Bridge of Eldin, an actual rectangle.

Which is also a fun stage to play on with a fun gimmick and nice aesthetics.

I don't understand why the Smash fandom has such consistently bad takes on stages and such disdain for so many. The only one I genuinely dislike is 75M and even it's fun in a "this is fucking madness" kind of way.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is also a fun stage to play on with a fun gimmick and nice aesthetics.

I don't understand why the Smash fandom has such consistently bad takes on stages and such disdain for so many. The only one I genuinely dislike is 75M and even it's fun in a "this is fucking madness" kind of way.

It is a rectangle.

Sometimes there's a hole for a couple minutes.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but I'll never like Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive.

Just pure anti-fun in stage form. The only big stage that's good is Melee Temple.

Aug 12, 2019
Sorry, but I'll never like Palutena's Temple and Great Cave Offensive.

Just pure anti-fun in stage form. The only big stage that's good is Melee Temple.

Palutena's Temple is fucking top notch when playing 8 player with items on very high. It's the ideal type of huge stage to have a long drawn out battle. Cave Offensive is also great for crazy fun matches to be honest.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Eh. The only thing wrong with Eldin is that it's a walk-off. Simple =/= bad, or else FD is a trash stage. Same goes for Great Plateau Tower. Simple, not exciting, but certainly not bad enough to be one of the worst stages of all time. Sure, the overhead thing can be annoying, but it's never really reduced the fun I was having.

Also, given how much like flavor-of-the-month Zelda treats most characters, I'm just going to say fuck it and go with Vaati for next Zelda character - at least he's recurring.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever complains about Great Cave Offensive didn't play the stage right way.

Gentleman Rules

All players must go and stay at bottom part of the stage and only way we lose our stocks is Lava. That's when the chaos begins. It's the home rules my friends and I have there so there is no run away and no stalling tactics. It's all about chaos and see who would getting out via boiling lava.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Palutena's Temple at a friend's house with a bunch of other people back in the Smash 4 era and I recall it being a miserable 10 minute slog lol

I'll be honest, I feel the slower, less combo-oriented engines of the later Smash games don't really do much favors to these larger stages. I think one of the advantages Temple had in Melee was the faster agressive gameplay to weigh everything down.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

But it's never about just wanting a new Zelda character.

It's always about a weird conspiracy that Sakurai hates the Zelda series despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think some people actually want a Zelda newcomer. They just want to complain about the lack of Zelda newcomers in Smash.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Statistically since there are more Mario fans then Zelda fans

There would then be statistically more Right wing Mario fans then there statistically right wing Zelda fans

So by appealing to Mario fans over Zelda fans you are therefore appealing to fascist
Zelda has more "waifu material" than Mario and therefore obviously holds more appeal to nazi weebs

it's undeniable

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
TDLR please? I don't really have time to watch the video with terrible auto-translated generated subtitles, etc.
I'm watching it now, first 6mn is just saying he hoped reveal at TGA too, the early January Direct hints with the maintenance stuff, and defending Sabi.
His videos are mostly recaps, so I guess it's nothing new if you've followed this thread a bit.

edit: 12mn in, saying he still talks to Sabi, doesn't know wtf Vergeben is about and nobody but him does, that he really thought KOS-MOS was FP5, but that the recent Harada tweet is a big hit against her.

edit 2: Shifty and Brew apparently still believe in Hayabusa for FP5, Papagenos doesn't at all. Still think Bethesda rumor is plausible (mii hats), think Doomguy is way more likely than Dragonborn.

edit 3: think that the Daisy theory (the pic with all the DLC characters) leads to Arle from Puyo Puyo. That's basically it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.