• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still expecting to see Smash Bros announcement at TGA?

• Yes, the character would be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA

Votes: 41 20.6%
  • Yes, character wouldn't be from any relevant title that comes out this year and is part of the VGA.

Votes: 138 69.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • Nope and I still believe in Smash Anniversary Direct. Get Hype!

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm personally resigned to the fact that the characters will be whatever they will be, male or female. Hopefully Nintendo/Sakurai heard the critiques regarding the Boys And Kazooie Pass and makes adjustments, but I have my doubts. It'd be disappointing if Kazooie is literally the only girl we get, and I say that as someone who considers Kazooie one of their all time favorite video game characters. I think as long as Nintendo/Sakurai view it as "what exciting series and characters can we bring into Smash?" that will always be their first priority. If a woman get in, it will be because they decided the character and series were a good fit for Smash.

It would be a genuine business blind spot on Nintendo's part to miss an easy win and not include at least one woman among 10+ DLC characters... but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I've been on the Monster Hunter train since the start of the Fighters Pass. Would be so good. So many colorful and diverse alts. Armor sets that ARE iconic to anyone who plays MH and there are a lot of them. A ton of charming animations and they can even give them palicoes for taunts and the stage, who doesn't love palicoes? The biggest arsenal of weapons than maybe anyone in the roster. Live Kaiju battles on their stage. GameXplain really didn't do their research when they discussed them.

I would love to see Monster Hunter but I just can't see it happening after they locked Monster Hunter stage behind the single player mode and having Rathalos as an assist trophy and a boss.

What's wrong with allowing us to pick that stage with Rathalos.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I have no doubts that we'll get an entirely female fighter in the remainder of the DLC, probably multiple depending on how many we have left. There are plenty of video game all-stars that happen to be female left to be represented in Smash.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Oh yeah, I missed this since I hadn't finished the gamexplain video but:
Nah the Hunter has tons of personality for a silent Avatar protagonist. There's alot of character in the animations of Monster Hunter that it would be charming enough on it's own. That's before we get into the wide array of weapons that they could use to round out a moveset.

I feel like people shouldn't put Monster Hunter on the same level of Chosen Undead as a complete blank slate non character. They have enough character to be in a Smash game
I've been on the Monster Hunter train since the start of the Fighters Pass. Would be so good. So many colorful and diverse alts. Armor sets that ARE iconic to anyone who plays MH and there are a lot of them. A ton of charming animations and they can even give them palicoes for taunts and the stage, who doesn't love palicoes? The biggest arsenal of weapons than maybe anyone in the roster. Live Kaiju battles on their stage. GameXplain really didn't do their research when they discussed them.
Completely agreed.
I don't really get why the gamexplain chat was saying that MonHun wasn't interesting because people were playing it for the monsters, not the characters.
The Monster Hunter (yes that's a ridiculous name, just like "Hero" for DQ, or multiple other characters) has personality, obviously more in the games before World, but even still nowadays (emotes, palicoes, "superman dodge", run, etc). Lots of weapons allow for a nice moveset that also has a lot of personality, especially when you add items used in MH in the mix (barrel, pickaxe, grappling hook from World, etc).
The armor customizations allow a lot of choices, and a male and female versions (probably with the same 4 armors) would make a lot of sense.
They know that the Hunter was in MvCI, but I'm not sure they've watched the trailer to say he/she has no personality.

(on the same note, I know they've said it, but please play some modern ninja gaiden guys)

Aug 12, 2019
I agree to an extent, but I do feel like the first party characters are a core part of the series' identity and why so many people fell in love with the series (being a celebration of Nintendo). Third parties don't need to go away but I feel like we could use a couple of first parties in DLC... the only problem is some of the most likely choices would be kind of trite and played out (Xth Fire Emblem character, Zth Pokemon, etc.). I can also say my favorite Smash characters tend to be secondary characters and villains, not the dude on the boxart, so that's one downside of the third party focus.

I'm sympathetic to the first party crowd because during Smash 4 DLC people were telling me how dumb it was to still want K. Rool when these third party characters were obviously way cooler and more impactful. Then of course K. Rool and Ridley got into the next game and were two of the most hyped announcements. I don't think besides Dixie Kong there are many high-level first party characters left to add compared to the very obviously missing K. Rool/Ridley, but there is a bit of wistful nostalgia for the earlier days of Smash when we were getting cool and weird Nintendo picks. I'm sure that will return in the next game though.

I just don't feel like the types of characters we have left from the first party selection are big enough to out-prioritize these big third parties that continue to come with super interesting move sets on top of being such big icons too. Yes, people fell in love with Smash because of Nintendo, but when all of their S-tier, A-tier, and B-tier characters except for like Dixie Kong and Captain Toad are in the game, I'm not sure it matters as much and I don't think that these first parties are going to have as much pull that move Smash as a series/franchise forward. Whereas I think third parties do have more power to move the series forward and can maintain momentum in a stronger manner. I do sympathize with your favorite characters coming outside of the main characters though. It's just not like there are as many major fan requests on the level of Ridley/King K. Rool, and that just really hurts the viability of first parties I feel. There are still Nintendo characters I think would be cool to see, but it's just impossible for me to prioritize them when the competition can be characters like Crash, Sora, Jill Valentine, etc.

I'd prefer if we stuck to the weirder third parties that are more related to Nintendo at least like Geno and KOS-MOS as a sort of a compromise personally. Get some more out there characters that have weird little connections to Nintendo in as opposed to the more standard first party options.

I would be more excited for first parties if they are from new franchises that doesn't exists in Smash Bros but I find them unlikely at the point.

This is honestly where I'm at now with first parties. I'm only really interested in new series that expand the scope of Smash... but most of the first party options aren't particularly likely for that since none of them are really active these days. ARMS Rhythm Heaven might make the most sense, but Golden Sun just seems very dead right now. As does Starfy. As does Sin & Punishment. Nintendo basically sacrificed Chibi-Robo to mediocre games. Etc. They're just not likely options right now and they all are going to have difficulties selling themselves as individual DLC I imagine, and especially so with Nintendo's seeming disinterest in many of them and just in comparison to the big names we've gotten already.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If they only based Hayabusa off of the NES games he would be primarily a sword user with some projectiles.
New Hayabusa (with the classic costume) would mix it up with nunchaku, chain-sickle, scythe, staff, claws.
Also "new", modern Hayabusa is already 15 years old and appeared in so many DoA games.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
New Ryu actually has a unique design. Old Ryu is just a generic blue ninja. Might as well ask for the ninja from Ninja Golf at that point. At least he has golf moves as well.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I thought Doom Slayer had very little chance before the whole Mii hat thing, I'll go back to thinking they have very little chance.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Modern Ryu has the classic NES costume in both NG and DOA anyway.
05ee73def1cf068392187452bc576200c805dfe1r1-1024-1289v2_hq.jpg
latest
That wouldn't be an issue (and he's doing attacks bare-handed in DOA).

edit: and yeah, Butt is damn cool in Garou (despite the dumb localization).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Butt is damn cool.

Also, if you want hilarity, play the arcade mode (it's not like there's
anything else in the ACA release, besides 2p and a hidden survival mode, I believe) and just marvel at the boss' dialogue in a cutscene that plays about two or three fights into the mode.
Oh yea, the dialog is hilarious. I actually beat the real final boss, a first for me in fighting games (other than SF4:3D I guess, but that's a modern game)

Because I set the settings to the easiest difficulty

And then set his HP to be 1/4

And then barely won

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Many characters' designs were pretty good in Garou. I really appreciate the fact that Tizoc made their first appearance in Garou and still make his debuts in another games.

x8dCgJ3.gif

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I can't make fun of Khushnood Butt's name because I know people who have to live with that name and they've suffered enough

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I missed this since I hadn't finished the gamexplain video but:

Completely agreed.
I don't really get why the gamexplain chat was saying that MonHun wasn't interesting because people were playing it for the monsters, not the characters.
The Monster Hunter (yes that's a ridiculous name, just like "Hero" for DQ, or multiple other characters) has personality, obviously more in the games before World, but even still nowadays (emotes, palicoes, "superman dodge", run, etc). Lots of weapons allow for a nice moveset that also has a lot of personality, especially when you add items used in MH in the mix (barrel, pickaxe, grappling hook from World, etc).
The armor customizations allow a lot of choices, and a male and female versions (probably with the same 4 armors) would make a lot of sense.
They know that the Hunter was in MvCI, but I'm not sure they've watched the trailer to say he/she has no personality.

(on the same note, I know they've said it, but please play some modern ninja gaiden guys)

Regardless of her personality, Monster Hunter was one of the most fun characters in that game.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
"Come to me, o mighty on!"

Doesn't help that the dude looks as if he's busting a nut in that cutscene.
OH GAAAAAAAAAWWWWD

yes, playing it for the first time this week myself sure was lulz worthy.

Yup, Monster Hunter in MVCI was pretty fantastic, one of best newcomer, imo.

yZKFFgb.gif
I couldn't bring myself to pick up the dlc for this game, and never being able to check them out first hand haunts me somewhat

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A return to first parties would seriously depress me as a Smash player. We've moved on to such exciting possibilities and Smash just keeps making a more and more impressive legacy through the third parties that they're including. This is the only chance that we're going to have to put all of these third parties in the same game too, so I just really hope Sakurai and Nintendo continue to take advantage of this opportunity. There's still so many great and notable Japanese third parties to make a part of the Smash narrative, and we've barely even touched Western third parties!

I also just kind of roll my eyes when people mention "balance" when it comes to Ultimate's roster about the DLC being primarily third party and needing to swing back to first party... Like, we have 67 first parties to 14 third parties right now and 20 years of Smash building up the first parties almost exclusively save for a handful of characters. Let's ride this third party wave til the end. It's honestly just so much more interesting and exciting than the handful of just less impactful major first parties left...
Complete opposite for me. While there are some third parties I want(2B, Shantae, Kiryu, Travis) popular picks like a Resident Evil character, Doomguy, Hayabusa, Heihachi, etc are so much less interesting to me then some first party choices like Rex, Pearl and Marina, Midna, etc.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Modern Ryu has the classic NES costume in both NG and DOA anyway.

That wouldn't be an issue (and he's doing attacks bare-handed in DOA).

edit: and yeah, Butt is damn cool in Garou (despite the dumb localization).
He kind of reminds me of a Dragon Quest character here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just don't feel like the types of characters we have left from the first party selection are big enough to out-prioritize these big third parties that continue to come with super interesting move sets on top of being such big icons too. Yes, people fell in love with Smash because of Nintendo, but when all of their S-tier, A-tier, and B-tier characters except for like Dixie Kong and Captain Toad are in the game, I'm not sure it matters as much and I don't think that these first parties are going to have as much pull that move Smash as a series/franchise forward. Whereas I think third parties do have more power to move the series forward and can maintain momentum in a stronger manner. I do sympathize with your favorite characters coming outside of the main characters though. It's just not like there are as many major fan requests on the level of Ridley/King K. Rool, and that just really hurts the viability of first parties I feel. There are still Nintendo characters I think would be cool to see, but it's just impossible for me to prioritize them when the competition can be characters like Crash, Sora, Jill Valentine, etc.

I'd prefer if we stuck to the weirder third parties that are more related to Nintendo at least like Geno and KOS-MOS as a sort of a compromise personally. Get some more out there characters that have weird little connections to Nintendo in as opposed to the more standard first party options.

I do love that Banjo-Kazooie is basically a "compromise Nintendo character." They are in a very unique situation and Sakurai clearly acknowledged this with the trailer essentially saying "welcome home."

I dunno why I'm even writing all of this, Smash Ultimate is literally my all time favorite game as of the release of Banjo-Kazooie! It seems silly to ask for more. But I can't help it. Smash hype is like doing lines of coke. There's nothing like it in the video game community. It will really be the end of an era when the last character is announced and released.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Third parties aren't novel anymore. Plenty of first party characters would be exciting.

Bring on Claude or Edelgard. Then invite the Prince of Persia to do whatever Byleth would do.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I really can't understand only third party characters or only first party characters viewpoints. Fun is to be found in both.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see Monster Hunter but I just can't see it happening after they locked Monster Hunter stage behind the single player mode and having Rathalos as an assist trophy and a boss.

What's wrong with allowing us to pick that stage with Rathalos.

Isn't that actually pointing to them intending fuller MH representation later? There's no reason to block the MH stage even if it were just plains with occasional Rathalos attacks, but they did that. Then there's the lack of spirits compared to the other two Capcom series in the game. All content that presumably would finally arrive with a Hunter character.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
One interesting thing people kinda forget about is that Monster Hunter is set up in the files like a seperate series, while in-game it's considered "Other"

Which makes me wonder what they'd do with the music placement if a MH rep got in. Would they take away the 2 MH songs from "Other" to put them into the MH stage or would have this really awkward Yoshi's Island situation where 2 MH songs are randomly in Other and not useable on the MH stage, while everything else is properly placed?

But it does seem like they considered MH a seperate series from "Other" at some point. Maybe a MH stage was originally concepted?

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is it a controversial opinion to say the DLC newcomers and stages have been far more interesting and fun than the base game newcomers/new stages?
I remember Sakurai saying how he wants to do everything for every DLC character. Extra detail and love poured into them since people are paying extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.