• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which month do you predict the next Nintendo Direct to happen? (Direct as The General Direct)

• August

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • September

Votes: 219 76.8%
  • October

Votes: 51 17.9%
  • November

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ultimate has giveth me Inkling, Ridley, Belmonts, Dark Samus, K. Rool, Isabelle, Joker and Banjo (plus Piranha Plant and Hero, the gifts I didn't know I wanted)

but Ultimate has also taketh Decidueye, Bomberman, Knuckles, Shovel Knight, Rex, Spring Man, Sukapon, Marx, Ganon and Chibi-Robo away from me.

That's honestly a pretty fair trade.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Ultimate has giveth me Inkling, Ridley, Belmonts, Dark Samus, K. Rool, Isabelle, Joker and Banjo (plus Piranha Plant and Hero, the gifts I didn't know I wanted)

but Ultimate has also taketh Decidueye, Bomberman, Knuckles, Shovel Knight, Rex, Spring Man, Sukapon, Marx, Ganon and Chibi-Robo away from me.

That's honestly a pretty fair trade.

I said after Everyone Is Here and Ridley that K. Rool could get in and I would never complain about the roster again. Sakurai then gave me two bonuses in the form of Joker and Banjo-Kazooie.

Decidueye, Bomberman, and Ganon were all deconfirmed (kinda anyway for the last one) but they were acceptable losses. Maybe Bomberman will have better luck next time at least if Konami stays on board. Dixie and Bandana Dee aren't strictly deconfirmed but they're looking extremely unlikely.

Most of the other characters I would like, such as Lip, are so unlikely I don't even consider it a loss that they don't make it.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I still the mourn the loss of Mach Rider. A character I never knew about until I saw their throphy and forgot about until the Grinch Leak. Fuck you Nintendo.
If Sakurai was actually cool, we would have Excitebiker and Mach Rider inspired alts for Captain Falcon.

Guess we need to hold out for the gritty open-world Mach Rider reboot by Retro Studios /s

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Excitebike is such a seminal title in the NES catalogue that it's surprising to me that Smash doesn't feature it in any meaningful capacity. Even the Assist Trophy has been missing since Brawl.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I wanted Bayonetta but I didn't vote for her; does that count?
That's fine, you can be an honorary member. I was originally all in on Wonder Red until getting swayed by /v/'s Bayo campaign to consolidate our votes under one Platinum rep.

My biggest disappointment of Smash Ultimate is honestly no ballot 2.0. That last one was so much fun.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, though in your case Edelgard's fair game too.

It should get in because 3H is really good and the Fire Emblem newcomer for Ultimate is a literal rehash
Not that I disagree with your enthusiasm for Byleth or a Three House rep but unless this bet means Byleth is DLC at any period for Ultimate I'm finding it hard to see them making it in.

Sakurai already felt the FE representation was getting bloated before they've implemented Corrin and the backlash for Corrin is probably going to make him think twice before implementing another one unless they're real special. Plus at best with this Pass we would get one character for Nintendo and Sakurai already has different options he could look at for a variety of reasons (Pokemon, Astral Chain cops, Rex, and maybe Bandana Dee) and the main reason to include Byleth is Three Houses being very popular which at the time of the selection it wasn't really due to not being released and the hype for the game being fairly muted then.

Honestly I feel like in the case of a potential Nintendo rep, which is already not a safe bet, there's other candidates that could be chosen due to their relevancy/potential at the time. Like we give Rex a hard time due to Direct potentially deconfirming him but he genuinely has a better shot then Byleth being in the Pass. At least there's an argument to be made he was specifically talking about the Base roster; which to be fair he did but the Mii Costume is where the narrative leans towards DLC too

If anything you might want to broaden the bet to be for overall DLC then being for the Pass. Unless that's what the bet already entails

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because Iwata said in that direct that the ballot would determine the roster in future games, but some people just didn't buy that. They will is there is another ballot.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's funny because Iwata said in that direct that the ballot would determine the roster in future games, but some people just didn't buy that. They will is there is another ballot.

All he said "you can let us know directly which character you would like to see become the next new fighter in Super Smash Bros." The Japanese ballot site directly stated that though.

I figured it would definitely be used for future games... but I didn't think they were gonna start on the next Smash literally right after. I was worried I'd be waiting until my 30s to play as K. Rool in Smash!

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Thankfully, in his recent compilation book Sakurai pretty much said that he doesn't want to do another ballot.
3ce.jpg

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The thing is though, with Bayo, K. Rool, Ridley, Simon, Dark Samus, Chrom, Isabelle, Inkling, and now Banjo and Hero in -- I bet there are a ton of people out there that would love to vote again on their next choice. I wouldn't be surprised if that group made up 75% of "realizable" votes from the last ballot, meaning a bunch of people will be effectively excluded from future decision making processes if they keep using that same data set.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Thankfully, in his recent compilation book Sakurai pretty much said that he doesn't want to do another ballot.

The old ballot data is still perfectly usable, I imagine. People still want Isaac, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Shantae, Geno, etc. Perhaps if a ballot was held now you'd get more third party choices and more flavor of the months, but I think generally speaking Nintendo and Sakurai have a pretty good idea who the fans want, ballot or no ballot.

Smash Ultimate also put in a bunch of the big name requests so it would be more meaningful to wait a while and let other characters' demand build up.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
TBH I think we're all just part of some sick experiment by Sakurai himself. One day, I looked out the window and saw ageless wonder adorned in animal prints. I blinked for a brief moment and he was gone. Still keeps me awake at night.

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
I voted for Snake and "GIVE GANON A UNIQUE MOVESET ALREADY". I guess the second character didn't get a lot of votes.

Sword's cool, though.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
All he said "you can let us know directly which character you would like to see become the next new fighter in Super Smash Bros." The Japanese ballot site directly stated that though.

I figured it would definitely be used for future games... but I didn't think they were gonna start on the next Smash literally right after. I was worried I'd be waiting until my 30s to play as K. Rool in Smash!
Well he said "sakurai will take votes into consideration when developing future fighters."

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Broke: the last two fighters are Pokemon and Fire Emblem themed
Woke: they don't exist, the last two fighters were the friends we made along the way

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After the first ballot I'd imagine they have enough of a picture of what people want that it isn't worth holding another round of voting.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
TIL that Smash considers Dr. Mario a separate series from Super Mario.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat
I don't really think that's necessarily accurate; the Spirits make tons of small sub-series specifications like that (Builder Mario is part of the 'Super Mario Maker Series', for example).

Internally, Doc is 100% treated as a Mario character.

GarudaSmash

Sep 12, 2018
Considering Microsoft was so easy to work with (or at least easier than expected), do you think we'll get other Rare-developed character spirits? I imagine other Microsoft IPs like Halo would be pushing it a little, since it's basically their flagship console franchise.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Microsoft was so easy to work with (or at least easier than expected), do you think we'll get other Rare-developed character spirits? I imagine other Microsoft IPs like Halo would be pushing it a little, since it's basically their flagship console franchise.
The datamine back in November of last year showed Spirits for Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps. I know a lot of people speculated about them being a mistake arising from the fact that Nintendo published the games in Japan, but after Banjo and Kazooie I think it's safe to assume we are getting more Rare spirits.
I don't really think that's necessarily accurate; the Spirits make tons of small sub-series specifications like that (Builder Mario is part of the 'Super Mario Maker Series', for example).

Internally, Doc is 100% treated as a Mario character.
The logic in the video is overall very faulty. He considers Dr Mario its own series for that reason, but not the different Mario sports ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.