• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Okay here is an earnest suggestion:
a banjo hat with a kazooie beak on his face. Kirby fires the eggs from his mouth and will move himself if you hold it

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Pfft imagine if Sakurai were to be really boring and give Kirby brown colored Android 17 hair

Imagine that

When there's three other alts with way more interesting head pieces

Imagine

Flat brown hair

Because a character needed to promote a video game with an alternate costume

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Oh god look at all those dogshit character designs in Crash. Yeeeugh

*cough* *cough*

98fca8761bd5e9497791b808bd4ac46d.jpg

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Pfft imagine if Sakurai were to be really boring and give Kirby brown colored Android 17 hair

Imagine that

When there's three other alts with way more interesting head pieces

Imagine

Flat brown hair

Because a character needed to promote a video game with an alternate costume
Or he could be lazy and just give him 3's headband.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Or he could be lazy and just give him 3's headband.
That's what I want lol

I'm already bracing for it even though he should get Erdricks.
My only saving grace is that Link's hat is still used, instead of his normal hair. So Sakurai did realize that some hats are more iconic than just a wig.

It gives me hope for a better option than bland brown hair. That's Erdrick's hat that's supposed to be on Kirby, instead some advertisement gets the Kirby hat, no fair.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I want lol

My only saving grace is that Link's hat is still used, instead of his normal hair. So Sakurai did realize that some hats are more iconic than just a wig.

It gives me hope for a better option than bland brown hair. That's Erdrick's hat that's supposed to be on Kirby, instead some advertisement gets the Kirby hat, no fair.
We need to hope for Sakurai Bias to come into effect and kirby's hat will transform based on the costume

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Kirby is no stranger to awkward clipping and bouncy/squishing things that should be solid
800px-SSBU_Dark_Samus_Kirby.jpg

This is actually the first time I've seen his Dark Samus hat. That is hilarious. Point taken. Still, I think Kirby would be cuter with a Kazooie hat making "kaw" noises.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
side note i really, really wish zero suit samus kirby had a full head of hair and not just the ponytail because this is just awful and i hate it
800px-SSBU_Zero_Suit_Samus_Kirby.jpg

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing about Kirby's hat specials is that they actually use the same data that the actual characters have. I remember back in Smash 4 that there was a glitch where you can "dereference" a character after Kirby copied them, and then Kirby can no longer use that special because the character's data is not loaded anymore.

Basically, this is done to make the moves function identically without needing to update redundant information just for Kirby. The only exception to this is Kirby's Pikmin Pluck & Toss because that's an entirely separate move from Olimar's Pikmin Pluck.

Banjo & Kazooie's neutral special may be treated like an exception just like Olimar's is, but that remains to be seen.

Hmmm. That's pretty interesting.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
"This guy has an avatar that was very clearly part of a fun community wide thing, MUST BE A HARDCORE BANJO FAN! I'LL SHOW HIM!"

Rare games are also full of horrible character designs.

Well you just never know with this place. Way to many here have a hard time not calling any character/game they don't want in Smash trash and the ones they do want the best thing ever!!! The hyperbole is insane at times.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Someone should recreate this using Ultimate's models
kssy5f5tuz1maitg3e2x.png

And uhh... add Sheik in there somewhere.

For Brawl, too (and add in Sheik and ZSS)
cbd704b275f793ed5f29efc153502976.jpg

64 and Smash 4 never really got a full roster shot like this

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should recreate this using Ultimate's models
kssy5f5tuz1maitg3e2x.png

And uhh... add Sheik in there somewhere.

For Brawl too
cbd704b275f793ed5f29efc153502976.jpg
man I remember Melee's roster feeling SO huge and impressive at the time (& to be fair a 26 man roster IS pretty impressive imo) but now it's just small potatoes

Just make this cliffside & near by canyon an actual stage already, honestly.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
man I remember Melee's roster feeling SO huge and impressive at the time (& to be fair a 26 man roster IS pretty impressive imo) but now it's just small potatoes

Just make this cliffside & near by canyon an actual stage already, honestly.
"Generic cliffside canyon" has appeared in more Smash games than most of the roster of the game. It deserves respect

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I remember how Brawl's roster seemed so big at the time.

ikS9Rzs.png

In ten years we will probably laugh at Ultimate with Super Smash Bros. Megamax's 100 character roster.

Aw, that'd be cute! xD .. hard to beat Kirby's Hadouken shout tho!
--but since Crash neutral B would most likely be his Spin, I'd be more interested to see how they would animate him.. to look something like this:
XxnXRD.gif

but pink!.. and small! 'v'

I imagine it'd be like the yoyo spin, just not upside down:

dbp4tyc-35240a66-2d7d-4605-9054-d5de44ebfae2.gif

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I imagine it'd be like the yoyo spin, just not upside down:

dbp4tyc-35240a66-2d7d-4605-9054-d5de44ebfae2.gif
that's a good guess; --Everytime I picture Crash moveset, I think he should have his Death Tornado Spin variation as his Neutral if you mash the button for so long; that way you could get a little air time like in his games. Kirby with that would be even more persistent after falling off stage. :p

--I also I'd like to somehow link a Down Tilt (a slide; just like Cloud's and Mega Man's) with a Neutral Special for a diagonal Spin that pushes him a little further

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I remember how Brawl's roster seemed so big at the time.

ikS9Rzs.png
The only time in the entire series' history that last minute character additions weren't thrown into the CSS wherever they fit and were actually placed, with care, in the appropriate spot.

64 and Melee put theirs in the corners, Smash 4 had... well Smash 4 was unique, and Ultimate has Echoes all over the CSS.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Do they call Makiko Ohmoto back for each character? Or has she already done her recordings? Or what?

For Smash 4 I assume they called her back for each individual character because the DLC wasn't too well planned. It's possible they have already recorded them all for the Fighters Pass though.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
"Generic cliffside canyon" has appeared in more Smash games than most of the roster of the game. It deserves respect
Final Destination? Please, give me Cliff Lookout Point

The only time in the entire series' history that last minute character additions weren't thrown into the CSS wherever they fit and were actually placed, with care, in the appropriate spot.
Brawl got really lucky it had such a precise number of last minute entrants to make the perfect rectangle.
Imagine if there was just a little more time to finish more characters, or they didn't get their delay lol

Do they call Makiko Ohmoto back for each character? Or has she already done her recordings? Or what?
For smash 4 I think she only had to get called back for Ryu's Hadoken. PK Freeze I think had a left over from the base game because there was a point where they considered kirby copying the neutral customs and the others I think just used existing clips.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
For Smash 4 I assume they called her back for each individual character because the DLC wasn't too well planned. It's possible they have already recorded them all for the Fighters Pass though.
I actually think they got lucky with Smash 4, because they only needed HADOUKEN and Roy's YYYAAAAAAAYYY

I don't think Mewtwo, Cloud, Bayo and Corrin have unique lines, and Kirby already had PK FWEEZE because Kirby had voice lines for customs in the base game (Ness has PK Freeze as a custom).

So she only needed to record lines for one batch of DLC

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Crash has definitely gotten a boost post-Banjo. It's a crazy world where K. Rool/Ridley/Banjo are in Smash and Crash Bandicoot is one of the most requested characters.

I'd guess his inclusion would just come down to if Nintendo/Sakurai felt they wanted to do business with Activision back in 2018. My fear is they only reached out to a western company like Microsoft because of the insane fan demand and Phil Spencer being so open about it.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Crash has definitely gotten a boost post-Banjo. It's a crazy world where K. Rool/Ridley/Banjo are in Smash and Crash Bandicoot is one of the most requested characters.

I'd guess his inclusion would just come down to if Nintendo/Sakurai felt they wanted to do business with Activision back in 2018. My fear is they only reached out to a western company like Microsoft because of the insane fan demand and Phil Spencer being so open about it.
I think Crash was in the right place at the right time back when DLC was decided; --Even before that I was already campaigning (before even N. Sane Trilogy was announced for Switch; not much of a coincidence, in the same Direct they revealed Smash Ultimate), people were saying Crash was a prime candidate for DLC.

Nintendo certainly got contacts with Activision, and Crash pretty much lines up with the "shocking value" they're going for most of the scenarios for DLC (Dragon Quest apart). I said and I'll do it again: I'm dangerously optimistic, especially after Banjo
crash-donkey-kong.jpg

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

I don't think reaching out to Microsoft for Banjo was all that special. The impression I got from this interview was that asking for Banjo was a natural extension for any talks Nintendo and Microsoft already have, so I don't see why getting any other western character owned by a third party Nintendo has regular contact with would be different from getting Banjo.

Honestly, my impression from info that came out post Banjo reveal was that the biggest issue for western characters is any potential communication issues between Sakurai and the original developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.