• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What character's reveal are you expecting to see at E3?

• Dragon Quest Character

Votes: 140 26.4%
  • Banjo

Votes: 291 54.9%
  • Other Character (Not Banjo or Dragon Quest)

Votes: 99 18.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm expecting a Nintendo character as DLC
I'm honestly drawing blanks on who it could be if we get one. Spring Man & Rex are out of the running (more so the former), and a rep for Three Houses or Sword/Shield almost seems too obvious if we take Reggie's Game Awards quote at face value.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how likely it is that all of the DLC characters will be third-party.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how some of you guys have control of your dreams. The last time I had a dream about the Smash roster, it had Steve from Minecraft and Crash Bandicoot, lol.
The last time I remember having a dream about a Smash leak (well, it sounded like release date break), no one was talking about the roster, everyone was talking about the "secret mode" being essentially a gutted retake on Smash Tour. I'm not sure what that has to do with control, but still.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly drawing blanks on who it could be if we get one. Spring Man & Rex are out of the running (more so the former), and a rep for Three Houses or Sword/Shield almost seems too obvious if we take Reggie's Game Awards quote at face value.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how likely it is that all of the DLC characters will be third-party.
look at this loser forgetting the premiere upcoming Nintendo character from a series ripe for the picking, that everyone has been asking for

T3L4ZUD.png

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

You are thinking too small my Friend.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
You are thinking too small my Friend.

Ultimately, I really don't see them adding characters like Dixie or Bandana Dee as DLC characters you have to pay $5.99 for, and I don't see them adding characters from new, unproven IPs like Astral Chain.

I think it's basically down to new Fire Emblem or Pokemon reps for any first party DLC characters.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Honestly, how many western reps are you peps even expecting? I see so many being thrown out, but if we really get one (given the current circumstances), who would it even be? Banjo seems to be the biggest one but i do have my hesitations (no one knows about him other than older hardcore fans)

This is how I see the odds:

30% we only get Banjo or Steve
60% we get Banjo or Steve, plus Doomslayer
5% we only get Doomslayer
5% we get more than 3 Western reps

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm "expecting" at most one Western rep since Sakurai has been vocal about supporting the Japanese game industry through Smash. Banjo has been highly requested as a former Nintendo icon and we know that they listen to the Western fanbase thanks to Ridley and Dark Samus (arguably the Belmonts and K.Rool as well).

So Banjo can be the big Western character of the DLC, the way Erdrick is primarily going to be a Japan-centric rep.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ultimately, I really don't see them adding characters like Dixie or Bandana Dee as DLC characters you have to pay $5.99 for, and I don't see them adding characters from new, unproven IPs like Astral Chain.

I think it's basically down to new Fire Emblem or Pokemon reps for any first party DLC characters.
And there lies the problem. The only remaining viable first-party candidates for DLC almost seem too obvious.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is there any actual evidence to a Dark Souls rep being in the game lol
Not really, no. We may have some clues that could maybe point towards a Bamco character, but those same clues would further lead the road to Tekken.

So yeah, we don't really have any real indication right now. It's mainly the success of Dark Souls that pushes it forward in Smash discussion.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any actual evidence to a Dark Souls rep being in the game lol

No but it's one of the biggest IPs to come out of Japan in the last decade (albeit one that's now concluded) and it's a Namco series when they're the developers of the game and only have Pac-Man.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I had the weirdest dream. Some guy on 4chan leaked the entire DLC roster (renders & all) to get back at Sakurai for some internal reason.

I had a dream last night that Banjo was revealed and Banjo-Kazooie was on the Switch... secretly. You had to tap the right area of the screen to turn it on. It wasn't the full game, though, it could only be played on a timer.

Also, Banjo had a human face. It was kind of freaky.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm "expecting" at most one Western rep since Sakurai has been vocal about supporting the Japanese game industry through Smash. Banjo has been highly requested as a former Nintendo icon and we know that they listen to the Western fanbase thanks to Ridley and Dark Samus (arguably the Belmonts and K.Rool as well).

So Banjo can be the big Western character of the DLC, the way Erdrick is primarily going to be a Japan-centric rep.
What if banjo fits in that category of being kind of for both and then doomguy is the pure western one? Like how ridley was west, k.rool was both.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I feel pretty confident in there not being any first party characters. The only game coming out soon from a proven franchise is Fire Emblem, and there's already seven of those blue haired bastards in the game.

What if banjo fits in that category of being kind of for both and then doomguy is the pure western one? Like how ridley was west, k.rool was both.

Maybe, but I think Banjo is as much as we're going to get.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Makes sense. The only other character that I could see Nintendo being able to get that would fit the 'pure western' category would be Scorpion. Doomslayer has more going for him though. He would represent a genre lacking representation in Smash, FPS, and his games are sold in Japan unlike MK. Also Bethesda's AAA support for the Switch has to help in Doomslayer's favour.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Also I feel pretty confident in there not being any first party characters. The only game coming out soon from a proven franchise is Fire Emblem, and there's already seven of those blue haired bastards in the game.

Maybe, but I think Banjo is as much as we're going to get.
I mean, if it's just one, that opens the door up a lot more for steve tbh. He would be one that is just for everywhere, huge in the west and japan and everywhere else.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, how many western reps are you peps even expecting? I see so many being thrown out, but if we really get one (given the current circumstances), who would it even be? Banjo seems to be the biggest one but i do have my hesitations (no one knows about him other than older hardcore fans)

Zero. I'm still on the team #Japanonly. If Ubisoft, Nintendo's closest non-Japanese Ally, failed to put one of their characters as a playable fighter in Smash, no one can. And nothing points to Banjo DLC, we still haven't seen anything on this mythical Nintendo-MS team up other than Minecraft. All DLC is going to be JP third party imo. Hayabusa, Bogard, Luminary, Lloyd.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it's just one, that opens the door up a lot more for steve tbh. He would be one that is just for everywhere, huge in the west and japan and everywhere else.

Steve is not happening. I'll bet on that.

Does Minecraft cross over into stuff, or do other franchises sell their iconography in Minecraft?

Oh yeah, that too, though I still do feel the Fighter's Pass will be entirely third party.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There's always room for another Mario rep. Let's just overlook the fact that we technically got one that wasn't part of the Fighters Pass, lol.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Still thinking too small.

I see a surprise coming. Fire emblem and Pokémon is expected. But Maybe too expected.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Zero. I'm still on the team #Japanonly. If Ubisoft, Nintendo's closest non-Japanese Ally, failed to put one of their characters as a playable fighter in Smash, no one can. And nothing points to Banjo DLC, we still haven't seen anything on this mythical Nintendo-MS team up other than Minecraft. All DLC is going to be JP third party imo. Hayabusa, Bogard, Luminary, Lloyd.
Still being in denial of erdrick?
jayzd.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

According to the Minecraft wiki the only times Steve crossed over into another game were Super Meat Boy in 2010 and Retro City Rampage in 2012, back when Minecraft was owned by Notch just fell from space and hadn't been discovered by Microsoft yet.

I didn't say we'd get another Square Enix rep (beyond DQ Hero).

Geno still confirmed because they'll brand him a Mario character.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
So, using my professional experience with Freudian dream analysis, I can officially diagnose all of us as BIG NERDS.

... This is not official please don't report me to the APA thanks.

But for real, though. Weird. I mean, Neoxon's was a realistic list, but weird.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Man i really hope Ryu is the dopest character in the game if he's DLC. He could be really fun if they retain his combo system from NG2 into Smash and just make him crazy.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they can't go too obscure or too new for a DLC character. At least Piranha Plant was a freebie early on.

Eh, Pokemon is a global phenomenon and Fire Emblem has a new blue haired jerk, and they've both got games coming out this year ripe to be promoted. The only reason I think Gen 8 and Byleth are out of the running is because I don't think there will be any first party characters to begin with, but if there were then at least one of them would get in, if not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.