• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Jin the real MC of Tekken? I never really played the story mode of the games, but Heihachi has always felt to me like a villain character (maybe I'm wrong), like Geese Howard is.
Tekken's story has always revolved around Heihachi, Kazuya (who was the protagonist of the original Tekken) and Jin. Tekken 7 actually resolved the longest-standing storyline in the series by finally ending the Kazuya/Heihachi blood feud.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I found stuff weird with Bandai, Smash is basically the biggest game they work at, but they don't bring their games to Switch. The only one they bring are the anime fighters, party games and some old games. Nintendo should gibe the next slots to Bethesda, Koie or other companies that support the platform.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
They're also helping develop the damn game, they're in as good a position to put in a request as anyone. At this point, 2 games and their DLC in with just 1 character, it feels like Bamco just... doesn't consider that a priority for whatever reason

More like Sakurai (and Nintendo) doesn't.

www.ign.com

E3 2013: Namco Bandai Characters Receive No Priority for Super Smash Bros. - IGN

You might think that Namco Bandai's development partnership with Nintendo for Smash Bros. makes its characters first in line for the roster. Not so fast!

Just because the game is being cooperatively developed with Namco Bandai involved, that doesn't at all mean that they'd be given any special consideration for having characters in the game," Sakurai said. "Smash Bros. can still be considered as an all-star collection of Nintendo characters. Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So far this pass has had Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square joining in and they were all part of the first pass.
True, but we are not getting a second SNK character, and a 2nd SEGA character seems unlikely to me unless they go Sephiroth again and use Eggman.

Jin was the protagonist, then he became a bad guy. Who knows what his alignment is anymore. Jin sucks.
I know that Jin has a stupid transformation form (that again looks Sephiroth-ish) but the "normal" figther has been always IMO the main guy for Tekken games.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And of course, Yoshimitsu has been a Tekken and Soul Calibur character since forerver, so even if he uses a sword it can be a good choice to represent both series (even if its not likely at all).

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
More like Sakurai (and Nintendo) doesn't.

www.ign.com

E3 2013: Namco Bandai Characters Receive No Priority for Super Smash Bros. - IGN

You might think that Namco Bandai's development partnership with Nintendo for Smash Bros. makes its characters first in line for the roster. Not so fast!

That's true, but there's still the fact that even the base game (where I assume that'd be easier to get "low-priority" stuff in) only added... a couple cameos to PAC-Man's taunt. Not even Spirits for any of those cameos, no new Assist Trophies. We lost PAC-Maze, for pete's sake

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Companies don't request characters to Nintendo/Sakurai, they go to companies requesting characters. This is known.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know that Jin has a stupid transformation form (that again looks Sephiroth-ish) but the "normal" figther has been always IMO the main guy for Tekken games.

Oh, I'm not talking about Devil Jin. Jin basically went rogue after Tekken (5?) and became a main antagonist, so Kazuya came back in 7 as an anti-villain. All the Mishimas are assholes to varying degrees.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like that. Microsoft shouldn't get special treatment just because of how many IPs they own. Other third parties deserve those slots more, and so do other Nintendo characters. Banjo and Steve are enough.

Hell, Sony doesn't even have one rep, while Sega and Namco haven't had a new character added since 4, and people are asking for a third Microsoft rep in these two DLC passes alone? C'mon.

Sega's rep was the first character of the first pass. If banjo and Steve count for Microsoft, Joker absolutely does for Sega.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sega's rep was the first character of the first pass. If banjo and Steve count for Microsoft, Joker absolutely does for Sega.

Atlus is a gray area, but I'll give that to you. Namco's complete lack of representation since vanilla Smash 4 is a glaring omission, and Tecmo Koei similarly has not had a single character in Smash at all despite being extremely closely tied to Nintendo for years now.

Effectively, there are a lot of roads they should go down before even considering a third Microsoft DLC character.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Companies don't request characters to Nintendo/Sakurai, they go to companies requesting characters. This is known.

Yeah I don't like this notion that a guest character needs to be in just because that their respective company "deserves it" or whatever. Something like say, Dragon Quest didn't get just because "Square-Enix needs that new rep ahuh", it got in because it's Dragon Quest.

I do think the one line they may not want to cross is adding in more than one new character from a company in the same cycle, though. I think Simon and Richter is probably the only instance of something like that happening, and even then Richter's just an echo.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
Someday we'll get a rematch
thumb1-640x360.jpg

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Characters are chosen because of who they are and what series they come from, I seriously can't imagine how much their respective corporate conglomerate owners "deserve it" ever actually comes up.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah I don't like this notion that a guest character needs to be in just because that their respective company "deserves it" or whatever. Something like say, Dragon Quest didn't get just because "Square-Enix needs that new rep ahuh", it got in because it's Dragon Quest.

I do think the one line they may not want to cross is adding in more than one new character from a company in the same cycle, though. I think Simon and Richter is probably the only instance of something like that happening, and even then Richter's just an echo.
I believe that Hero got in to promote DQXIS on the Switch.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't like that. Microsoft shouldn't get special treatment just because of how many IPs they own. Other third parties deserve those slots more, and so do other Nintendo characters. Banjo and Steve are enough.

Hell, Sony doesn't even have one rep, while Sega and Namco haven't had a new character added since 4, and people are asking for a third Microsoft rep in these two DLC passes alone? C'mon.
*points at Joker*

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that Hero got in to promote DQXIS on the Switch.

That played a part in it, but Dragon Quest was still nonetheless a mega massive franchise in Japan that was solely missing from a game that primarily celebrates Nintendo and Japanese games. That's why they included the Heroes, music and spirits from the other games, and hell it seems Erdrick has mostly overtaken Luminary as being the main Hero, as shown by his new All-Star Smash placement and now recent appearance in Sephiroth's trailer.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
"Well, we could get Master Chief, but the other companies haven't gotten their turn so that just wouldn't be fair."

Like it's a school yard game and not just, you know, business.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're past first page* let me elaborate on the Tails problem. The big problem with Tails is that in recent Sonic games made by Sonic Team Tails is canonically downright incompetent with anything approximating traditional platformer gameplay, and it's not exactly obvious who insists on things being this way, but it could be Sega.
Not a problem because Sonic Adventure Remake will be announced soon, and that'll be the perfect launching point for Tails's resurgence in capability! (That's why I want an Egg Carrier stage!)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird - like I buy the common wisdom that "one character per company per pass" makes sense just for diversity's sake, but also if our next character turned out to be 2B or something I wouldn't be surprised at all.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"Well, we could get Master Chief, but the other companies haven't gotten their turn so that just wouldn't be fair."

Or maybe because they feel the need to not put two characters from the same third party in the same Fighter Pass.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the reasons Eggman is a more exciting proposition to most people is that, in addition to being another villain rep, he'd be guranteed to have an entirely unique moveset, whereas Tails (and Knuckles, and Shadow prolly) would just be a semi-clone of Sonic's moveset, most likely.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Erdrick is the representative of Hero in the Sephiroth trailer.

(Square Enix seemed fine with that, I think, lol.)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I actually think it makes more sense from a business perspective to facilitate relationships with multiple companies rather than show greater favoritism to one. That would the biggest reason they wouldn't do it.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I think one of the reasons Eggman is a more exciting proposition to most people is that, in addition to being another villain rep, he'd be guranteed to have an entirely unique moveset, whereas Tails (and Knuckles, and Shadow prolly) would just be a semi-clone of Sonic's moveset, most likely.
Plus we'd (hopefully) get Hi-spec Robo Go. Which is good.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. Eggman would definitely get me more excited. I just like imagining random exciting scenarios of what could happen.

Blaze would make me the HAPPIEST though!

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think it makes more sense from a business perspective to facilitate relationships with multiple companies rather than show greater favoritism to one. That would the biggest reason they wouldn't do it.
Yeah that makes sense, I was just scoffing at the idea that third parties "deserve" something in Smash.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I will die on the hill that Smash became to Nintendo as an ambassador to secure third party support. The rules that was once in place or said, don't seem to apply now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Never mind the fact that Banjo started as a Nintendo character and Minecraft is on Switch right now. Meanwhile Halo will NEVER be on Switch.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I found stuff weird with Bandai, Smash is basically the biggest game they work at, but they don't bring their games to Switch. The only one they bring are the anime fighters, party games and some old games. Nintendo should gibe the next slots to Bethesda, Koie or other companies that support the platform.
Bandai-Namco does a number of collaborations on first-party Nintendo titles. They've worked with EPD9 on Mario Kart and ARMS, as well as on Pokemon spin-offs Pokken and New Snap

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an interesting question: what would Eggman's Final Smash be?

I ask because there's a lot of directions they could go in. The Death Egg Robot, the Death Egg itself, the Egg Carrier, the Egg Dragoon, even something like a cinematic involving Perfect Chaos.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai Namco develops the game and has to deal with Smash fans every day. Why would they want to add their characters just for the sake of those ingrates?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I ask because there's a lot of directions they could go in. The Death Egg Robot, the Death Egg itself, the Egg Carrier, the Egg Dragoon, even something like a cinematic involving Perfect Chaos.

I think it should be one of his classic Egg robots. Not the full Death Egg, but I guess you could have it shoot an orbital laser at the target.

It'd be way funnier if the Final Smash animation is him trapping the opponents in the Mean Bean Machine and then getting frustrated and detonating the whole thing with them inside, though.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

If Sega have any say it'd obviously be the Death Egg Robot.

A cinematic involving multiple past Eggman robots performing a barrage of attacks could be nice. Throw in the Death Egg Robot, Big Arm, Egg Viper, Egg Emperor, Egg Dragoon, etc.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I did a moveset for Eggman ages ago, not sure where I put it. I think I did use the Death Egg Robot. It's an iconic fixture in the series, having returned in Sonic Generations. You could do a cinematic where they fight in the Death Egg and the spiked fists punch the target(s) out into the darkness of space.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020

Well shit, that's what I get for doing this while multi-tasking, I spaced that Nintendo did the approaching.

In that case.... if Bamco and Koei-Tecmo, two companies Nintendo's close enough with to trust handling two of their biggest IPs (Smash and Zelda) several times over, don't get any characters this Pass, think we can put to bed the idea that 3rd party characters are chosen as "rewards."

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eggman would also come with the Eggman base aesthetic like how Sephiroth has Northern Crater.

Actually what would be a cool Eggman stage? I think something to callback to the 2000's era Sonic would be cool. Like spanning from Egg Carrier to Egg Fleet/Final Fortress. We already have Green Hill and Windy Hill representing the classic and modern era

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bandai Namco develops the game and has to deal with Smash fans every day. Why would they want to add their characters just for the sake of those ingrates?
The problem is Nintendo doesn't want any of their characters except Pac-Man. Can't say I blame them. Namco doesn't have anyone that even comes close to Pac-Man in recognition, or any of the other 3rd parties in Smash now, except Ms. Pac-Man who really should be an echo fighter.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is Nintendo doesn't want any of their characters except Pac-Man. Can't say I blame them. Namco doesn't have anyone that even comes close to Pac-Man in recognition, or any of the other 3rd parties in Smash now, except Ms. Pac-Man who really should be an echo fighter.
The only characters on the same level of iconicity as Pac-Man are Mario and Donkey Kong so I don't think that's a fair comparison either

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

that's pretty true about pacman so the next big thing is using Monolith and Namco's great relationship to get KOS-MOS promoted or something from tales like Lloyd or Velvet.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eggman would also come with the Eggman base aesthetic like how Sephiroth has Northern Crater.

Actually what would be a cool Eggman stage? I think something to callback to the 2000's era Sonic would be cool. Like spanning from Egg Carrier to Egg Fleet/Final Fortress. We already have Green Hill and Windy Hill representing the classic and modern era
I made a giant post about this on the first page, but in support of Tails. (I support Eggman too for the record, I was just imagining a scenario I thought was cool.)

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I feel like Sakurai would add Eggman as a boss before making him a fighter. I don't know how big of a Sonic fan he is (he's a fan of all video games, let's be real), but I imagine him thinking that Eggman is at his best when he's piloting a giant death machine and trying to crush Sonic at the end of every zone. In other words, he's too big. LOLOLOLOLOL! He is almost always multiple boss encounters every step of the way in most Sonic games and is rarely made into a playable character. Additionally, Sonic has a plethora of friends who are more prominently playable characters and are fighting Eggman alongside him. To me, it just feels more appropriate for Eggman to be a boss character first, and if there was another Sonic series fighter added, it would be one of his many friends and rivals, and among those, I narrow it down to Tails and Shadow.

Shadow is consistently the most popular. Every time the idea of a new Sonic character comes up, Shadow is always number one. He was the first Sonic assist trophy for a reason. I know a lot of people expected him to be an echo fighter in Ultimate's base roster, but I don't think Sega wants that. They've done a lot to make Shadow as unique as possible while still being a suitable rival for Sonic, so the least he would be is a semi-clone, and not in the way Ken is an echo teetering on the edge of semi-clone. He would be his own character with completely unique animations. He'd be comparable to, say, Wolf who was built off Fox and shares similar fundamentals, but his normals and specials are completely unique.

As for Tails, well... Tails is Sonic's best friend and sidekick. In many respects, he's Sonic's Luigi, the Player 2. I think Mario & Luigi vs. Sonic & Tails would be a really cool match-up. Sonic and Tails are depicted as an inseparable brotherly duo, and I'm sure many fans have fond memories of their adventures in thwarting Dr. Robotnik's evil schemes in the old cartoons. Tails was always right behind Sonic on their journeys, and while he has rarely had a playable role in the past decade or so, he is still Sonic's #1 buddy, always there to support his hero whenever he needs him. While Tails can do a lot of things Sonic can, such as spin dash, the young mechanical engineer could carry an assortment of tools and gadgets to catch his foes off guard. After Brawl came out, I always wanted to see Tails as an assist trophy where he pilots the Tornado and flies around shooting at targets, but that would actually make the perfect final smash for him.

Out of these two choices, I would 100% go with Tails. While I think Shadow is clearly the most popular choice, at least vocally, I don't think it's the right choice to further flesh out the Sonic series. Tails and Eggman are the obvious choices for that purpose, as they have been with the series from the very beginning. In fact, if Tails was DLC right now, his stage could be the Death Egg and would feature Eggman dropping in inside the Death Egg Robot to wreak havoc as a stage boss. They could even throw in Egg Robos and Badniks to disrupt players as they fight, kind of like Pyrosphere where Ridley was a boss and there were a handful of Metroid series creatures littering the stage. I think that would be a fantastic way to properly flesh out the Sonic series and not be stuck with Green Hill Zone and Green Hill Galaxy.

As a matter fact... If they want to cast a wider net over the different generations of Sonic to really flesh out the series representation... If they really want to make me happy... They'll make the stage the Egg Carrier from Sonic Adventure. There can be destructible turrets on the stage, and Eggman can show up in the Egg Viper from time to time to cause mayhem. (Yes, he would be saying "GET A LOAD OF THIS!" very often.) And of course, he is able to be defeated. Eggman is a character that needs to talk a lot, and he'll be talking plenty more as a stage boss than he would as a fighter. Oh my god, I'm already gushing about a reveal trailer idea I'm having. The setting is the World of Darkness. Galeem is fucking dead (thanks Sephiroth), but Dharkon is still alive. The Egg Carrier is cruising through the skies, and Eggman, as he so often does, is using a power much greater than he is to his advantage and is commanding his robot soldiers as well as clone fighters to attack the Smash fighters. The Halberd, the Great Fox, and other relevant airships are all at war against the Egg Fleet from Sonic Heroes, and a bunch of characters on top of the Egg Carrier are fighting their way through the mighty aircraft. Sonic is already fighting Eggman directly, but he's unexpectedly overpowered by a group of cloned Sonics! Things are looking grim for our hero as Eggman charges his laser for one final blow, until... Tails dives in and grabs Sonic in the nick of time! "TAILS FLIES INTO BATTLE!" After the gameplay sequence, Sonic and Tails, with their unrivaled teamwork and coordination, defeat Eggman and his forces and foil the mad scientist's plans once again. All of this happens in tandem with a Sonic Adventure Remake announcement. Totally! ... Please?
See the last two paragraphs.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Death Egg (3&K), Egg Carrier and Eggmanland feel like the three best choices to me.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018

I imagine the Death Egg would be the first choice for an Eggman stage, but Egg Fleet or Eggmanland would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.