• The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Some are wearing the avatars voluntary to help complete the set lol.

Just a shame some chose not to play ball. Well, they just don't get to be part of the cool club so their loss.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Jak and Daxter is one of the best platformers ever for me

The sequels aren't quite as good but I do still like 3 and even 2 has some good things

I like Sly 1/2, not quite as much as Jak but they're still pretty good. 3 I can't get into at all

For R&C the only one I like is 2, but all the PS2 games have some great music

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I thought Jak 2 was amazing when I was a little kid.

then I came back to the game years later and found out it's pretty bad, especially a certain delivery mission. And Jak as a character was pretty lame
Yeah, the world and characters kind of disgust me. They're really unlikable and ugly. It's the flip of Ratchet, where I absolutely never liked to play those games, but thought the characters were fun.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Well that got weird. Stay sane, Hailinel.

Nice to hear Deco's doing fine.

My parents are supposed to get the first dose of covid vaccine today, but... well, we'll see if that works out. The rationing isn't exactly working smoothly.

Squid Sisters sound like a result of trademark translation. PC Engine for Smash?
I'm glad to hear that you're doing okay. And glad that your parent recovered very well.

Yeah, I saw your other thread and I want to touch on that.

I'm perfectly fine with some crew members not being relevant after their subplots or important plots. I always wrote it off as them wanting to have an adventure with their newfound friends or just want to help them to see this through and done to be with. Even in game, mostly they just stick around and help them to beat the villains or the bad guys which is pretty much normal for me.

I know you said to not include optional crew members but Umaro tho. Easily worst optional crew member ever.

Melia is more fun and powerful when you play as he due to the fact she's very incompetent as an AI.
I'm happy to be back. Bummed I miss the Sephiroth reveal here. I loved that pick

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
For Crash/Spyro, I really like Crash. It's too bad because I do like the world of Spyro, and Spyro as a character, but I just can't get into the gameplay.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I still want a Sly 4.
latest

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I played the Spyro trilogy for the first time last year and the first two games were good but then it's just like "Wow what happened here?" for the third. It wasn't bad but the level of throwing gameplay ideas to the wall and seeing what sticks was ridiculous.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the world and characters kind of disgust me. They're really unlikable and ugly. It's the flip of Ratchet, where I absolutely never liked to play those games, but thought the characters were fun.
Yeah Ratchet and Clank were great. Except the remake where they ruined the characters for no good reason.

I didn't realize how try-hard Jak 2 was. Felt like the team (think it was naughty Dog) had to use the Jak's IP but wanted to make a much more mature game. It was weird/confused game

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I played the Spyro trilogy for the first time last year and the first two games were good but then it's just like "Wow what happened here?" for the third. It wasn't bad but the level of throwing gameplay ideas to the wall and seeing what sticks was ridiculous.
This is kind of the MO of Sony franchises tbh. You get to the third entry and either it becomes tediously boring, or they go in 10 different directions with weird shit and it feels messy as fuck.
Yeah Ratchet and Clank were great. Except the remake where they ruined the characters for no good reason.

I didn't realize how try-hard Jak 2 was. Felt like the team (think it was naughty Dog) had to use the Jak's IP but wanted to make a much more mature game. It was weird/confused game
GTAIII happened.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Checking out The Magic Box again, platformer game edition. There are more years than this but I don't feel like looking at the rest of them.

1996 said:
13 - Kirby Star Super DX - Nintendo - SFC - 563,806
14 - Super Donkey Kong 2 - Nintendo - SFC - 547,498
16 - Super Donkey Kong 3 - Nintendo - SFC - 514,419

1997 said:
13 - Super Donkey Kong 3 - Nintendo - SFC - 582,505
15 - Crash Bandicoot - Sony - PS - 507,829
17 - Crash Bandicoot 2 - Sony - PS - 498,835
29 - Super Mario 64 - Nintendo - N64 - 361,302

1998 said:
31 - Crash Bandicoot 2 - Sony - PS - 395,884

1999 said:
45 - Crash Bandicoot 3* - PS - ACT - 341,141
55 - Saru Getchu (Ape Escape) - PS - ACT - 293,564
66 - Sonic Adventure* - DC - ACT - 262,093

2000 said:
Japan was too busy with Blood of Zeon and Super Robot Wars Alpha to play platformers in this year

2001 said:
49 - Donkey Kong 2001 - Nintendo - GBC - 227,073 in year given - 227,073 total
52 - Piposaru 2001 (Ape Escape 2001) - Sony - PS2 - 220,654 in year given - 220,654 total
64 - Crash Bandicoot 4 - Konami - PS2 - 169,746 in year given - 169,746 total
85 - Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil - Namco - PS2 - 133,401 in year given - 133,401 total

2002 said:
7 - Super Mario Sunshine - Nintendo - GC - 677,440
14 - Kirby Star: Fountain of Dream - Nintendo - GBA - 480,738
19 - Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World - Nintendo - GBA - 411,894
29 - Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island - Nintendo - GBA - 349,998
37 - Rockman Zero - Capcom - GBA - 310,003
44 - Ratchet & Clank - Sony - PS2 - 275,140
48 - Sarugetchu 2 (Ape Escape 2) - Sony - PS2 - 269,368

Also there's fiddliness between YTD and LTD in these charts, I realize.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Jak 2 is fookin' PISS

thanks for coming to my Tedtalk

I'm glad my original takes on the Spyro games from 20 years ago are still valid
Strat Takes: Reignited

I didn't play the trilogy until the remasters/remakes and actually I thought they were pretty good factoring in their PS1 early 3D era origins, well 1 and 2 were good, 3 is the classic platforming trilogy trope of "we're out of ideas so GIMMICKS" and then I hit a game breaking bug the devs took a year to patch so fuck it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Some are wearing the avatars voluntary to help complete the set lol.

Just a shame some chose not to play ball. Well, they just don't get to be part of the cool club so their loss.
You make the best Avatar for losing side (more like winning side actually lol).

rather Wholesome then those kinda nasty avatars people rather choose when they win a bet lol

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Everyone should read this. It's fucking amazing.
Jak 2 is fookin' PISS

thanks for coming to my Tedtalk

Strat Takes: Reignited

I didn't play the trilogy until the remasters/remakes and actually I thought they were pretty good factoring in their PS1 early 3D era origins, well 1 and 2 were good, 3 is the classic platforming trilogy trope of "we're out of ideas so GIMMICKS" and then I hit a game breaking bug the devs took a year to patch so fuck it.
Only the most truthful takes over here.

I'd like to try the trilogy, because I actually have a lot of nostalgia for Spyro 1 and 2. They were the first games my little sister ever bought, and she asked me to help her with them a lot, which basically meant I played them in their entirety. Not sure how much they cleaned those games up, but it'd at least be a trip.

Now if only someone would remake Spice World and A Bug's Life, I could replay my sister's entire PS1 library to completion.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't have lots of nostalgia with Spyro, but I've grown lot more of respect to the series thanks to my.. ex. But I can see the argument of Spyro 1 being the best game in the OG trilogy (heck, maybe in the whole franchise), for being a honest to God, straight forward collect-a-thon sandbox platformer.

When you starting adding NPCs and stuff to do outside that core platforming mechanics, it's when I start losing interest. (Crash 3 suffers a lot of this too)

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Like don't get me wrong the story wasn't good (there didn't need to be a Sly 4) but i liked the ansectors and the focus on Sly when compared to Sly 3

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is that, reading that interview with Jason Rubin above, one can definitely see how Naughty Dog transitioned from making games like Crash Bandicoot to eventually The Last of Us lol

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I have never played a single one of the Classic PS2 Platformers and when I look at them I really, really don't want to

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully that rumored Naughty Dog game with a black protagonist turns out well if said rumors are true, because they've had a string of issues regarding their black characters.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
All I can say is that, reading that interview with Jason Rubin above, one can definitely see how Naughty Dog transitioned from making games like Crash Bandicoot to eventually The Last of Us lol
They went from Crash being a silent protagonist (because they thought a starring character talking too much would be annoying, as is the case with Gex and Bubsy), from getting some kind of Guinness Book World Record for Jak for being the platforming game with biggest amount of cutscenes and dialogue ever for that time... to making Uncharted and The Last of Us... 'x'

Needless to say why I got stuck with Crash and not ND.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
For me, the change with ND happened pretty abruptly when they dropped Jak and went to Uncharted. The two creators of Crash/Jak also left during this time, and probably a lot of other people also. Even though Jak 2 went "edgier" than their other games, I still felt like there was a focus on fun gameplay, and the world still felt fantastical/creative. With Uncharted it felt like they were trying to go hard in the opposite direction. It was a realistic world and the gameplay also felt more grounded. Tbh, these games just weren't as fun to play for me, and it feels like a completely different studio that I don't have much interest in

Status
Not open for further replies.