• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I said a season pass would kill my hype completely. And we got a season pass at this direct. But my hype was pretty much already dead before they announced the DLC characters because of the piss-poor final roster inclusions. At this point the season pass was more like punching a dead horse.
You said the season would get you off the train, and yet you changed to the story mode needing to be incredible to get the game. This is really reminding me of Octopath when you were looking for reasons to be down on the game.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I really love how spirits mode tells a similar story to Infinity war, where a crossover of heroes face an all-powerful threat that even together they can not beat. The only way to win in the end is for everyone to die and learn from their mistakes and come back from the ashes stronger than ever. This theme seems prevalent in popular fiction as of late.

Anyway, really loved the direct and all the great contact contained within. I was surprised when piranha plant was revealed. Sakurai is an amazing mad man and hope he gets his sought after retirement/break soon.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all are fucking embarrassing. Angry and insulted by the inclusion of piranha plant. Yea, I'm not a fan of the inclusion but it's cool, there's someone for everyone.

Anyways I'm excited to see what characters they announce for DLC. Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta were pretty huge so hopefully we get some similar bombs.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well I said the saddest part because I think that Rex+Pyra have an opportunity of being DLC later, he is only a costume so maybe we'll get them. On the other hand, being an AT is basically a death sentence.

They decided who would be DLC as part of development. Rex & Pyra aren't going to be DLC. Rex is a Mii Swordfighter costume.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
literally no one is going into "full riot mode". the worst thing people are doing in this thread is saying that they're disappointed or upset, with maybe like one person saying that they won't buy the game. y'all are the ones overreacting and calling people "whiny bitches" and complaining about "tantrums" because someone didn't like a presentation.

people don't owe nintendo shit. they're allowed to say that the direct was underwhelming.

Pretty much. The Nintendo defense force is feeling attacked by mild comments of disappointment. I guess we should already love and not criticize anything about this direct or game.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah I know. It's just it was few people I watch their content that said these things after calling people for "getting their hopes up"

Hypocrisy at its finest. Going from calling Sakurai the greatest to "trash" was an eye opener.
Are people calling him trash? im mad but i don't think he is trash, just a bit tone deaf to what fans want, as for 70+ characters, 58 are reused from Smash 4 & many are returning vets & clones, this has the least amount of unique new comers for any Smash game, it's a bit disappointing after Ridley & K.Rool.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Samus ha a Spirit as well.
fpzgmq1.png
GF soldier Samus is a Spirit?

So I can put Samus in Samus, so I can Aran while I Aran?

I'm sorry, that was a really terrible use of the Xzibit meme.

Mar 19, 2018
I couldn't watch the direct, can anybody give me the rundown on what spirits are?

Edit: Disregard, just saw the "what are spirits?" picture. This thread is moving too fast for me to keep up.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Because ignoring echo's & characters who were brought back, there is only 4 unique newcomers at launch, Isabelle is pretty much an echo but they didn't want to call her that because the list of new comers was small enough, i guess vergeben was right about her originally being an echo.
Isabelle being an echo fighter because she shares some moves from Villager is some real twisting.

Also, it's not even true. Even if you want to discount every echo fighter and Isabelle, then Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K. Rool, and Incineroar is 5, not 4.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Kirby has been confirmed to be the protagonist of Super Smash Bros, and also the strongest video game character.

Nov 17, 2017
Dont think it matters, personally. Elma was more likely for the base game. I could be wrong though.
I think it does, especially since they made such a big deal out of her. Even with Kos-Mos in the base game, she wasn't treated with as much fanfare as Elma was as DLC.

And I don't know, I think Elma has a decent chance for DLC now because it just seems weird that they completely skipped Xenoblade X content for the most part. If Elma was most likely for base roster like you said and she didn't make the cut, she and XCX seem big enough that they would at the very least get an AT and some music tracks. Like they clearly look at the Wii U for content as Yuri from Fatal Frame V is an assist trophy. It's very suspect that they just passed over XCX like that which makes me feel like she is being considered.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
- I don't think Spirits are used online at all. Maybe an option in friend matches?
- Correct. You can set your preferences and the game will try to find others with the same, but there's no guarantee anymore that you won't get thrown into an item or free for all match. Which is probably my single biggest problem with the game so far.

Thanks!

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I am genuinely disappointed with is the lack of a stage builder, Brawl's was ass but the expansions they made to it in Smash 4 made it a really worthwhile addition.

Otherwise I will gladly pay $60 for a Smash Bros. game I can play portable or on a TV with 70+ characters and 100+ stages.

Subspace Emissary was the worst thing to happen to the franchise and I'm glad it's dead PEACE

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Are people calling him trash? im mad but i don't think he is trash, just a bit tone deaf to what fans want, as for 70+ characters, 58 are reused from Smash 4 & many are returning vets & clones, this has the least amount of unique new comers for any Smash game, it's a bit disappointing after Ridley & K.Rool.
" Tone deaf to what fans".

You're kidding right?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
So let's talk about the fake because you never needed to be an insider to realize it was bullshit.

In the run up to the Direct, people kept saying "If this is a fake it's the best one ever!" No it wasn't. Numerous digital artists and graphic designers described it as an afternoon's work. People who can illustrate can make Smash fakes. People good at Photoshop can make Smash fakes. Even if it's not perfect, guess what, panning over it quickly in a blurry video for people to see what they want covers it up pretty well!

Then there was the "OH MY GOD THIS FIRM WORKS WITH BANDAI NAMCO" thing that I pointed out doesn't mean anything with regard to Smash Bros. and one of you called me dumb for pointing out. You can DM me the apology by the way. Bandai Namco DOESN'T DO MARKETING MATERIALS FOR NINTENDO PUBLISHED GAMES AND THIS WAS ALWAYS OBVIOUS. Anyone who cited this as evidence had no idea how any of this works and anyone who cited it and tried to act like an expert on it is a liar that should not be trusted.

Yes, a lack of Pokemon on the banner, even if you specifically didn't know about Incineroar, should have been a dealbreaker. The willingness to believe speculation that Sakurai had to create Banjo in six months and thus moved Incineroar to the backburner is naive and not at all how these things work. People wanted to believe it was like Sonic, which caused an eight month delay to Brawl, not "Oh no let's totally change our developer timeline."

The insiders who told you Isaac and Geno were locks? I specifically warned them not to do that. I told them the Smash fanbase was toxic and they were going to go after them, but it was still irresponsible of them to try. Unless you've seen the roster or have seriously vetted your sources, you shouldn't "confirm" anything, ever.

This is the last post I'll be making on the subject, if only because this week has been stressful for me with people coming at me about this stupid fucking thing. I hope the faker never exposes himself so everyone can just keep wondering and everyone gets disappointed again next time.

drclaw411

Mar 22, 2018
Do we know if Geno is a Spirit? I was looking for him in the Direct but didn't see him as either a Spirit or AT. I suppose we'll know for sure come release when people will scour the total Spirits in game for any mention of him. Though... What I'm also wondering is: Does being a spirit automatically mean you're not eligible for a DLC character slot?
Yes. Sakurai specifically said that Spirits are characters who aren't fighters (lost their bodies).

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sakurai unnecessarily overcomplicated things. Enough of him and these lame 3rd party characters.

Smash needs a change in its direction. I hope that Sakurai never come back to this series.

And bring back individual Break the Targets.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
So this is Treehouse thread too and nobody will take of how good Crafted World looks? Man, I'm so excited for that game! I hope it releases before March so it's another good reason for Nintendo to believe they will hit those 20 million consoles.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hen there was the "OH MY GOD THIS FIRM WORKS WITH BANDAI NAMCO" thing that I pointed out doesn't mean anything with regard to Smash Bros. and one of you called me dumb for pointing out. You can DM me the apology by the way. Bandai Namco DOESN'T DO MARKETING MATERIALS FOR NINTENDO PUBLISHED GAMES AND THIS WAS ALWAYS OBVIOUS. Anyone who cited this as evidence had no idea how any of this work and anyone who cited it and tried to act like an expert on it is a liar that should not be trusted.
That was a different company

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever made the grinch leak is insane. There were so many random things that were lining up with it, to see it be totally wrong is just crazy.

The final characters being Ken and Inceneroar feels pretty bad, but Sakurai did initially say to curb expectations of the new roster additions down. The wording on the DLC was really confusing though, as it sounds like they know the characters (by rex being a costume) but aren't saying anything. So i'm not sure if a fan vote thing means much.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Huh, so Samus, Kirby and WFT have been sighted as Spirits. In alternate costumes from their primary player character representation, but still....

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
They decided who would be DLC as part of development. Rex & Pyra aren't going to be DLC. Rex is a Mii Swordfighter costume.
I know, but they have decided to offer only 5 DLC characters? Sakurai said that all of them will be released in a year or so, so aside from the Plant I expect one fighter every 2 months or so. I don't see why the team can't make more content aside from the 5 announced packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.