• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
can someone do me a favor and give me a run down of the single player modes that are in this game? (aside from the regular mode). Also I don't know the names of the modes well from past games, just what they were

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I was down on Incineroar (I just don't like the pokemon, very disappointing final evo for Litten IMO) but damn if his moveset doesn't look incredibly fun.

I have to agree. I understand not being a fan of Incineroar as Litten's final evolution (I suspect people would have been more open to him with a different starting point), but he fits fantastically in Smash. He has a fun, expressive design, and a wrestling themed moveset that distinguishes him from the rest of the roster.

The bit of Incineroar gameplay from the Treehouse stream looked great.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think the thing that used to bother me with Incineroar was the way he moved. It never looked right to me, even though his base design was fine. Sakurai knocked it out of the park with him.

Also, I'm going to need that Ken/Inceniroar sparring fan art pronto.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I love how Incineroar was interpreted in Smash. I ain't mad about him being in. He just doesn't feel like a good hype train stopper.

At least we have an established pattern now for future Smashes, heh.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
KOS-MOS was always more likely as dlc. No namco is huge and No XB2 rep. Let's make this reality.
True, true. But the door remains open!

21983.jpg

And this should honestly be the official mascot of SmashEra, because it's what we deserve. BGBW is a mad genius.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Prince Sable isn't in, right? I loved that assist in 4 :T

Also, Soma Bringer, Shantae and Eternal Darkness representation... As a Nintendo nerd I love the spirits thing. If only we got Level 5 characters on board too.

The Prince is still an AT. Check the AT portion on the website.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I just expect that some people attacking Sakurai for the plant or spirits are not the same defending wharever brainfart No Nomura o Kojima decided (storywise) whenever a new KH, or MG came along.

It's his vision of the game, he gets to make it and decide what's in and what not, just be thankful when that aligns with your wishes.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like I'm actually the only one who thinks spirits mode is cool.

Even though I was team real, down deep I knew box theory was the truth. Sigh...

Incineroar actually doesn't look that bad. Just hate the idea.

Just PLEASE, give us Rex for DLC

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
The constant thing every game where people take the last game as gospel, before everything changes, has amused me since Brawl.

"It's only Nintendo characters"
"Kept you waiting, huh?"

"It's only one character per 3rd Party"
"Ryu enters the battle"

"Generic enemies will never be playable"
"Piranha Plant joins the fight"

'Only video game characters'
"Goku Raiser the Power Level"

'No cartoon characters'
"Spongebob is Ready"

'No founding fathers'
"Thomas Jefferson passes a bill'

Oct 27, 2017
So here's the inevitable question: was "Everyone is here!" worth only getting 6 newcomers in the base roster?

I honestly don't know which is worth more to me, vets or newcomers. Such a tough choice.

Honestly? No.

Outside of Wolf and Ice Climbers, I don't think I cared for any of the other vets coming back. Heck, I would've been fine with characters that were in Smash 4 not returning either.

I understand why things are the way they are, heck, Smash 4 DLC ended in Feb 2016, that's only a three year difference between that and Ultimate's release, I didn't expect much to begin with.

I'm more so upset that as a result of this, we're going to have to wait so long until the next Smash to get these characters that aren't in. Especially since a ton were deconfirmed through spirits, ATs, and Mii costumes.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
This was great. Only minor disappointment was the Spirits mode but that was only until the actual story mode reveal at the end. I didn't enjoy the Subspace Emissary approach so this looked right up my alley. It reminded me of the Multiverse in Injustice 2 but with an overworld. It's the perfect way to keep me engaged as a single player gamer in a fighting game.

And I like that they showed some love for Xenoblade, Fatal Frame and even Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

And Piranha Plant looks dope.

Team Fake represent!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow that was great. Just finished watching.

I was uncertain about this game until after this direct. I'm definitely buying it. Looks amazing. Gonna sell a ton.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Direct review:

Ken - expected echo fighter, 5/10
Incineroar - Expected Pokemon, 5/10
Piranha plant - surprise, but not popular at all. 5/10
Really thats it? You're ending the ULTIMATE final direct with the least ultimate newcomers? 0/10
Spirits mode - looked derivative, everyone will play without turning that trash on 4/10
DLC - expected, price and content all in line with expectations. I absolutely do NOT trust them to put in stupid characters so no way I'm buying that bundle though 5/10
Online - no test Smash is actually extremely concerning. Smash Online has always been unplayable. Please buy Ethernet adapters because Nintendo couldn't be bothered to put one in to their $80 hollow plastic box. 5/10

Frankly that direct let me down by every single measure. I'm completely baffled they would use THIS to sell the game. It's like they were hiding the junky parts of the game until they had to show something at the very end. Should have saved K Rool for this one and did Ryu last time.

4/10 hype killer

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Pirahna plant looks great to use. Totally unexpected and hilariously timed. Can't wait to try it out.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic that Smash Bros Ken looks way way better than SFV Ken lol.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm actually the only one who thinks spirits mode is cool.

Even though I was team real, down deep I knew box theory was the truth. Sigh...

Incineroar actually doesn't look that bad. Just hate the idea.

Just PLEASE, give us Rex for DLC
I love the idea of Spirits mode. I just hope I don't flub getting my most-wanted Spirits from hitting the shields all of the time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just expect that some people attacking Sakurai for the plant or spirits are not the same defending wharever brainfart No Nomura o Kojima decided (storywise) whenever a new KH, or MG came along.

It's his vision of the game, he gets to make it and decide what's in and what not, just be thankful when that aligns with your wishes.

Sakurai is allowed to make whatever game he wants, and people are allowed to react to what he makes however they want. He is not owed reverence just because he worked hard. We can respect his work but we don't have to agree with or like the choices he made in doing that work.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then what's the point of fanboying?

"Oh, they referenced my favorite JRPG that nobody else remembers...but it's not a fighter/stage/voiced cinematic??? 2/10."

That's really not my point.

If the game were a gift then of course I wouldn't say anything negative, but it's not. It's a video game I paid $80 CAD for.

Like I'm still going to play it, but there's nothing "entitled" about expressing disappointment in a commercial product.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Was it just me, or do the graphics look a little improved since we last saw it? Seemed some of the lighting and stuff was a bit better.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You have to realize that using spirits on fighters is key to that mode. You can have for instance a battle where Fox incorporates a Luigi spirit because that'd make no sense since Luigi is his own thing and doesn't rely on loosely-based attributes like "Loftwing: makes fighters lighter"

I mean, the fact we haven't seen a single spirit of a playable character just reeks to me. Yes, they're a super easy implementation, but that doesn't mean they're not carefully considered.

You are both missing the point entirely.

There is simply no way, while making assets for Spirits, they decided 'well whoever we use for these we won't ever use for DLC in this game'. Especially if you take them at their word that they've not given any thought to DLC beyond the Piranha Plant. And, for that matter, pretty sure there's Piranha Plant spirits.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would've been cool with Isaac from Golden Sun. I would've been super excited if Farfetch'd got in but apparently Japan thinks he's a joke Pokemon so he never had a chance. Pious Augustus from Eternal Darkness would've been an awesome surprise pick.

Beyond that, I wanted another Square Enix rep covering the Nintendo era of Square's RPG dominance like Crono or Kefka. Would've been fine with Geno but I don't love him like a lot of fans do.

Those are pretty good and reasonable wants compared to others I've read and Farfetch'd is no more a joke character then PP. While Farfetch'd would be amazing I guess I understand why Sakurai keeps going the popular Pokémon route.

I don't believe I'm saying this but there's always the DLC pass. I'm hoping for Isaac myself and if Square continues to go all in like they've been doing I see a character like Primrose or Thereon from Octopath possibly getting in.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I'm really disappointed in is the lack of Trophies. I guess I understand because it's probably a ton of work making all those models but I don't think Spirits are a good substitute

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has shown the disconnect between ultra-hardcore gamers and the masses.

Ultimate has an INSANE amount of content. Much of it NEW content. Every part of the game has been retouched. Several long Directs were required to show everything...and there's still secrets to be found.

Yet, somehow, you're disappointed because a bunch of characters that the average gamer doesn't remember or are unrealistic to expect aren't in the launch roster. And the single player mode isn't a whole other unique game. And you have to earn your way into the hardcore online mode.

Fun, value, and polish don't matter to you - just fanboying, and things that are the literal definition of nitpicking.

This game will sell a ton and everybody will love it...except you. -_-

You're taking people too seriously IMO. This is Smash. We all bitch and moan about who got in and who didn't, we buy the game anyway and have fun with it, and then the cycle starts anew once the next game or round of DLC is announced. It's just how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.