What new character should they add to Smash?

• Goku

Votes: 467 34.0%
  • Anyone but Goku

Votes: 908 66.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think signal boosting lesser known Nintendo franchises like Mother and Fire Emblem (at the time) has more value than throwing in obscure villains from games and franchises that are already heavily represented
Meh I still like getting lesser known characters in. I'd fucking love Hades or Medusa. Or any Zelda characters at this point.

I don't mind third parties.(I'm ecstatic about Joker.)

I just don't wont them to be all we get from now on like some people here seem to want.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Smash needs a character of a Mikami game asap. That man's loyalty to Nintendo and the Gamecube is outstanding. Also some of the best RE games were GC exclusives originally. We want Leon now! :3
Or bring Sebastian Castellanos in! (and TEW1+2 port for Switch *crosses fingers*)

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
It frankly shouldn't matter if there "relevant" IMO.

As I've stated multiple times the more obscure characters are always my favorite.

Smash would be so boring if it was popular characters only.
This so much. If it was only "relevant" characters we wouldn't have Ice Climbers, Marth & Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, and Little Mac.
Obscure characters can breathe new life into franchises like Fire Emblem getting localised or Kid Icarus getting a new game.
Heck, it was the rumours about Shulk being a character in Smash 4 that got me to go back and finish the original Xenoblade and fall in love with the series.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo wants to sell those DLC characters, so they have to have some impact. Obscure characters are only in the base rooster, veterans (Roy and Lucas) or late in development (like Piranha Plant). But those characters will may make it as Echo Fighters, which will be released for free. I bet, we will see one of the following characters as Echos: Medusa, Dixie, Octoling, Dry Bowser, Jeanne, Impa, Black Shadow, Funky Kong, Birdo, Raiden, Ms Pac-Man, Roll, Ninten or an extra Echo to one of the paid DLC characters.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Can I has Ray MK 3 pls :3
Had no idea who that was, thought it was Mortal Kombat related lol

Found this image
latest

We need a fighter like that in Smash, not sure if Custom Robo are stil popular enough for that to happen.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
So if Ultimate is the high water mark in terms of number of characters future games in the series are gonna need a new gimmick or focus.

I'd love to see themed releases. Like a Nintendo Vs. Sega Smash Bros. game, that really dug into Sega's history. Really weird and obscure Sega characters like The Ooze, Opa-Opa, Hotsuma, Vectorman, etc.

Or a Smash Bros. platformer spinoff drawing from all these Nintendo and third party franchises but with dedicated platformer controls and physics.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
In Friendcode (an Easy Allies podcast about Nintendo) someone asked if Wolverine was possible as Smash character since Ultimate Alliance 3 being Switch exclusive… and while highly unlikely my mind has not been able to stop thinking about Thanos in smash and how internet destroying that announcement would be and the memes it would generate, plus with so many characters a bit of balance is required.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All Stars I guess not, but literally every character in every smash game appears on a Nintendo platform in some form.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
At this point, I'm trying to think of what would make people flip out/post to social media/bring in new buyers, etc. I'm thinking along the lines of what continuously sells tons of merch or has an evergreen, ever growing fan-base:

Jon Snow or Danerys
Deadpool
Fortnite man/woman
Buzz Lightyear or Incredibles rep
Rick Grimes
Harry Potter
Jack Skellington
Chell (Portal)
Luke Skywalker/Yoda/Vader
Mickey Mouse
"Frozen" princess (can't remember her name)

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bet, we will see one of the following characters as Echos: Medusa, Dixie, Octoling, Dry Bowser, Jeanne, Impa, Black Shadow, Funky Kong, Birdo, Raiden, Ms Pac-Man, Roll, Ninten or an extra Echo to one of the paid DLC characters.

Even if we got Echo DLC, Birdo and Dixie would require significantly more effort to differentiate from their supposed base character that they couldn't possibly be considered Echoes, and Ninten simply won't work because he is too visually similar to Ness, he looks proper identical even. If Mother got an Echo character, it would have to be someone like Ana or Paula, someone with a similar bodyshape to Ness/Lucas, but still visually distinctive enough.

That said, neither Mother (nor F-Zero for that matter) will ever see another character.

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
At this point, I'm trying to think of what would make people flip out/post to social media/bring in new buyers, etc. I'm thinking along the lines of what continuously sells tons of merch or has an evergreen, ever growing fan-base:

Jon Snow or Danerys
Deadpool
Fortnite man/woman
Buzz Lightyear or Incredibles rep
Rick Grimes
Harry Potter
Jack Skellington
Chell (Portal)
Luke Skywalker/Yoda/Vader
Mickey Mouse
"Frozen" princess (can't remember her name)
You forgot Rick and Morty

Oct 25, 2017
He won't get in. I'll say it again and again: He's not a video game character, Smash is a game for video game characters. Drop the stupid meme already.
And yet somehow won a video game award a week ago. Characters transcend mediums.

We've seen many many go from game to anime or manga, but vice versa 30 years ago disqualifies you.

Got it.

Just saying, WHEN it happens, the rubbing in will be relentless.

The right stance to take.
So many different thread topics to make rubbing it in that don't have to be about Goku or Smash.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I don't think Goku will ever get in, but I'd be happy if he did. I know Smash is a video game character thing, but I don't really personally mind if it loses that part and it just retains the gameplay and adds some fun characters.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if we got Echo DLC, Birdo and Dixie would require significantly more effort to differentiate from their supposed base character that they couldn't possibly be considered Echoes.
Dixie could work, if you give her DK's Up-Special, and Birdo could use King Dedede's neutral special. Chrom shows, that characters are still Echos, even if you change moves between the cast.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, seriously. Let's stop talking about Goku and get serious about characters like Wonder Red and Master Chief.

Forget the character that's been on Nintendo systems for three decades because why would anyone seriously suggest that outside of joke.

But yes, Wonder Red. This is a serious conversation for the most important characters.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the remaining DLC is for Dragon Quest and other Japanese 3rd parties, then I really hope the next game finally opens the door to western 3rd parties. I feel like a majority of the big gets in Japanese gaming are already in.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo owns Wonder Red and both he and Chief are videogame characters. So yes, those are more serious picks than a shitty anime character lol

Zaitengrate

Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Oi, fuck off Sakurai. Smash first and foremost franchise about Nintento characters. There is no place in it for third-party one. Especially the ones, that never been on nintendo consoles.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dixie could work, if you give her DK's Up-Special, and Birdo could use King Dedede's neutral special. Chrom shows, that characters are still Echos, even if you change moves between the cast.

Chrom got Ike's up B mainly cause if he had kept Roy's, he would be playing even more similarly to Marth and Lucina than he already does, which would be ludicrous. There's also the fact that among the Echoes, Ken and Chrom have the most differences. Everybody else is using the same moveset with either super minor gameplay differences like slightly altered moves (like Dark Pit), or basically none at all (like Daisy or Richter).

Dixie and Birdo would need more than just one different special move to work as Echo. Dixie being literally Diddy but with just DK's up B would be an utter disservice to the character, she would have to be at least a semi-clone, and Birdo even more so - Yoshi not just has the neutral B involving his tongue, but also his grabs, not to mention that flutter jump would be utterly bizarre for Birdo to have, as well as the fact that she shoots eggs, not toss them.

Both of them could borrow animations or certain moves, sure, but Echoes? No.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Oi, fuck off Sakurai. Smash first and foremost franchise about Nintento characters. There is no place in it for third-party one. Especially the ones, that never been on nintendo consoles.
It still is.

It just hasn't been ONLY Nintendo All-Stars for a while. Hell, even among the Nintendo characters, Ultimate was where they finally broke down and added Ridley and K. Rool, relative nobodies, alongside All-Stars Inkling and Isabelle.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you guys wouldn't recoil and get this defensive at every mention if you didnt think it was the slightest bit possible as well. ITS JUST A MEME! Keep telling yourselves that.
Lol, for 90% of those asking it is. They're trolling and want to get a rise out of people.

And no, it's not that, it's that Smash is awesome because it celebrates video game characters and settings specifically. If they started adding non-video game characters it would be taking away from that IMO. It would just be weird to see Goku on that roster, and it would open too many doors that shouldn't be opened.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather keep it to video games but I won't actually care if Goku is in.

I'm really hoping for Banjo-Kazooie. I think the character could be really interesting mechanics wise.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, for 90% of those asking it is. They're trolling and want to get a rise out of people.

And no, it's not that, it's that Smash is awesome because it celebrates video game characters and settings specifically. If they started adding non-video game characters it would be taking away from that IMO. It would just be weird to see Goku on that roster, and it would open too many doors that shouldn't be opened.
When the non video game character is in more video games than half the video game roster combined, I don't think that point holds up very well.

Yes, it would be weird seeing Goku. Weird isn't a bad thing. Smash is already weird. Link vs Cloud on Mario stage is freaking weird.

As for opening doors, you don't know that, it's just the thing you're scared of.

Just call your bullshit for what it is, that's all I'm asking.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the non video game character is in more video games than half the video game roster combined, I don't think that point holds up very well.

Yes, it would be weird seeing Goku. Weird isn't a bad thing.

As for opening doors, you don't know that, it's just the thing you're scared of.
That's neither here nor there, especially since Smash is a great platform to get lesser-known characters in front of more eyes. Wouldn't be surprised if that's partly how Fire Emblem got so big outside Japan.

And thank you for worrying about me, but no, I'm not "scared", I just love Smash and don't want to see it tarnished.

Jump Force is the game you're looking for.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If being in videogames forever and being very popular is enough to justify being in smash, we are due Spiderman, Mickey mouse, Luke Skywalker and Harry potter before Goku even gets in to consideration.

Oct 25, 2017
If being in videogames forever and being very popular is enough to justify being in smash, we are due Spiderman, Mickey mouse, Luke Skywalker and Harry potter before Goku even gets in to consideration.
I'd love to hear the argument for Harry Potter > Goku, we do have the Eastern advantage. Shrug.

Another difference is, some people are actually asking for Goku.

So the assumption is that red line continue yes to exist, but the manga/anime one doesn't. Yeah...
We don't make the rules.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
What's that? We're getting the biggest non-VG character from Japan in Smash?

latest

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Since the quote this thread is based on may be a mistranslation, and the topic itself has simply become a wishlist thread, it is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.