RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So let's say the impossible happens and Sony actually honest to goodness gets a character in the next Smash. Who would it be?

Kratos and Aloy are the two Sony characters in Fortnite, right? Unless more got added since I last saw.
fortnite-outfit-kratos-1.jpg
fortnite-outfit-Aloy.jpg

Oh, Uncharted just got some on account of the movie I guess.

Just wondering because I've been playing the first Horizon for the first time and Aloy would honestly be pretty cool, I dig the game.
Spider-Man, and I will accept no substitutes

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to be enthused about either one, tbh. Most of the big names I associate with PlayStation are already in, even though they're not actually owned by Sony. FFVII, Tekken, and KH are just all bigger "PlayStation" gets to me. Though if it was Kratos hopefully he wouldn't get hit with a stupid stipulation of HAVING to be top-tier like PSASBR got.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
In all seriousness out of all the big Sony characters, I'd say Ratchet would be the best fit. With a Rivet echo

But who cares about getting Sony in here when there's plenty of other great characters that could get in Smash instead

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be Astrobot with down b being a costume change that gives them different side or neutral b's representing various Sony franchises

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
"Kratos must be top tier" is obviously stupid and it's the Pikachu who hogged that spot in Smash anyway, but I wonder how does one deal with original developers having mechanic requests. Say, "Mr. Sakurai, we love your work on Dennis, but we insist he cannot be portrayed as capable of picking items off the floor this fast. It would create plot holes."

Or, "we understand this makes balancing harder, but it is vital for our brand that Nineball cannot be launched at any trajectory but 42 degrees from horizontal line, upwards."

furthermore please donate to ukraine, thanks

Toro is the obvious Sony rep
Only in Japan. So Sakurai would totally try to do it.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Ratchet and Clank feel like the most prolific of Sony's owned characters (outside of Toro and Kuro). I feel like Kratos or Drake would be chosen for specific contrast with the Nintendo characters. Or Sakurai/Nintendo greases the palms of Microsoft and Square Enix for Crash and Lara and calls it a day. batfax weeps as the Sega hardware club stays exclusive to Sonic.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Clank feel like the most prolific of Sony's owned characters (outside of Toro and Kuro). I feel like Kratos or Drake would be chosen for specific contrast with the Nintendo characters. Or Sakurai/Nintendo greases the palms of Microsoft and Square Enix for Crash and Lara and calls it a day. batfax weeps as the Sega hardware club stays exclusive to Sonic.

Joke's on you! Lara debuted on Saturn!

... it's not the system she's known for, but it's a crumb of something I guess.

C'mon, Nintendo. If you're gonna bring SEGA into your console services, promote some of those characters while you're at it. Plenty of options! While you're at it, I want SEGA NSO to be a theme for that new icon maker thing.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Doshin the Giant surprisingly has a pretty beautiful and unique OST

This one here is just...really sad feeling. Like that you're at the end of your life and you reminiscence on it all.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Felt like Leo was playing uncharacteristically poorly that entire weekend. Felt so strange to watch, his usual mojo just wasn't there at all. I guess people are finally wise to Byleth's gameplan, and his Aegis was looking rough. Wonder if he'll bounce back at Collision this weekend

Last edited:

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like Leo was playing uncharacteristically poorly that entire weekend. Felt so strange to watch, his usual mojo just wasn't there at all. I guess people are finally wise to Byleth's gameplan, and his Aegis was looking rough. Wonder if he'll bounce back at Collision this weekend
He got bad matchups too. Fox and Min Min are bad for Byleth and unless Light or Proto are at a tournament he's probably not having to fight either one of them. Just so happens both were at Summit and playing well.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
He got bad matchups too. Fox and Min Min are bad for Byleth and unless Light or Proto are at a tournament he's probably not having to fight either one of them. Just so happens both were at Summit and playing well.
Yeah, a lack of high-level Fox match-up experience probably wasn't doing him any favors either.

Light's supposed to be at Collision this weekend too (as is Sparg0 for that matter), so I hope we get a runback. Even if he keeps sticking with Byleth, I'm sure Leo can clutch it out if he's in top form. Smash World Tour Leo was an entirely different beast, I wanna see that guy again

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Did you know that tomorrow, it will have been four years since the March 2018 Direct, and thus four years since Smash Ultimate was first teased?

Here's a look back at a roster I made back when it was first announced:

nUfmuhI.png

Basically everyone from Smash 4, plus these newcomers:
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ridley
  • Excitebiker
  • Takamaru
  • New Pokemon of some kind
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Chorus Kids
  • Inkling
  • Spring Man
  • Dragon Quest character of some kind (just used Slime as a placeholder FYI).
+ Wolf and Ice Climbers as returning vets. Also Link, Zelda and Samus revamped to reflect BOTW and Samus Returns, respectively. All for a total of 70 characters. In comparison, Ultimate ended up with 76 characters, counting echo fighters.

Basically I assumed we were just in for Smash 4 2.0, focusing on contemporary/relevant characters plus the oddball Sakurai surprise/retro pick like Takamaru and Excitebiker. I actually originally had Monster Hunter penciled in here, but then I saw all the rumors regarding Ridley at the time (he was a very poorly kept secret) and thus I began expecting him, so I axed MH in his favour to save space.

eZBXvD5.png

Interesting to see some of this come to fruition in some form: besides Inkling (already announced obv), we did get a new Pokemon in the form of Incineroar, the Ridley rumors came to fruition, and we did eventually get a Dragon Quest character, but as DLC. Likewise we also eventually got Pyra (and Mythra) but no Rex.

Last edited:

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Did you know that tomorrow, it will have been four years since the March 2018 Direct, and thus four years since Smash Ultimate was first teased?

Here's a look back at a roster I made back when it was first announced:

nUfmuhI.png

Basically everyone from Smash 4, plus these newcomers:
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ridley
  • Excitebiker
  • Takamaru
  • New Pokemon of some kind
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Chorus Kids
  • Inkling
  • Spring Man
  • Dragon Quest character of some kind (just used Slime as a placeholder FYI).
+ Wolf and Ice Climbers as returning vets. Also Link, Zelda and Samus revamped to reflect BOTW and Samus Returns, respectively. All for a total of 70 characters. In comparison, Ultimate ended up with 76 characters, counting echo fighters.

Basically I assumed we were just in for Smash 4 2.0, focusing on contemporary/relevant characters plus the oddball Sakurai surprise/retro pick like Takamaru and Excitebiker. I actually originally had Monster Hunter penciled in here, but then I saw all the rumors regarding Ridley at the time (he was a very poorly kept secret) and thus I began expecting him, so I axed MH in his favour to save space.

eZBXvD5.png

Interesting to see some of this come to fruition in some form: besides Inkling (already announced obv), we did get a new Pokemon in the form of Incineroar, the Ridley rumors came to fruition, and we did eventually get a Dragon Quest character, but as DLC. Likewise we also eventually got Pyra (and Mythra) but no Rex.

Don't forget Min Min instead of Spring Man.

Also, I guess the oddball pick ended being Piranha Plant, even if I'm not sure they would count as a "retro fighter".

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Even if my earliest roster from the Ultimate speculation period was mostly a joke I dare not post it because I noticed an unforgivable omission from it. I'm disgusted with myself now.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Just a painful reminder that unlike Waluigi, Bandana Dee, etc Dixie actually was planned for Smash, but then she was dropped and then they just never looked back. Same thing with Rhythm Heaven.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
The longer we go without a new DK game or any sign of K Rool showing up in sports titles, the more I worry his revival might be limited to Smash

At least if that were the case he made a hell of a comeback. Low tier or not, he's hella fun to play, has a faithful and interesting moveset, and a great combo of his Rare and Paon designs

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Keeping up the push for Susie Deltarune, Dr Eggrobo, and Doomknight the Slayerguy in Smash!

Should go back and add Rodin

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Wasn't really sure what to put for "new modes/features," I don't need a lot of fancy stuff for Smash, just give me more characters, stages, and music, and most of what I would want is bringing old stuff back like Boss Rush.

Also the "legacy vs. new content" question... I feel like I'd be happier with 50/50 but the options don't really reflect that lol.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think all I really need in terms of modes are: Boss Battles, Break the Targets/Board the Platforms stage editor (perfect way to bring those modes back, come on) and a new version of Smash Run.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is it canon that the dots in Pac-Man are mimosa flower blossoms?