Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

And Nothing Of Value Would Be Lost

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
So these assholes just threaten to do this in every country, huh?

It's one of the reasons tax avoidance is hardly punished across most countries.
If you do punish them to full extend, you risk them leaving and then receive 0% taxes from them once they're gone.

The only way to put a stop to rich people tax surfing is global cooperation

Nov 23, 2017
Obviously not the main headliner but 125k for inheritance tax seems fucking ridiculous if there aren't a ton of exemptions.
That being said it's probably only gonna screw over what little is left of the middle class anyway since actually rich people can afford all the dirty tricks to avoid it 🤷‍♂️
not sure how much sympathy they'd get.

although an inheritance tax limit of £125k is a bit scary. Limit now is around 3x that but will already often mean you can't leave your house to your kids without them needing to sell it to pay the tax. Why even tax inheritance anyway? I already paid tax when I earned it. Or maybe have exclusions for property and only make it countabkenif the property is sold?
Oh look Tory and Republican talking points already.

1. The government could just...begin simply enforce the tax code and close those loopholes, thereby actually making the policy a transfer from the rich to other groups. I can't speak for the UK but the US simply chooses to defund agencies and not enforce these things they had before and easily could.
2. The median wealth in the UK is nowhere near that high, and I'm sure the full Corbyn plans talks about exactly you plan the estate tax's mathematical curve, so to speak, to not include the middle class.
3. The idea that "the rich got away with it before, so they always will" is bunk, and dismantling the fact they live by different rules (including tax ones) than the rest of us is the force bubbling up under all of these progressive and left movements.

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
That's going to hit the middle class not the touch the rich. There's literally a thousand current loop holes to dodge that and rich would be informed and planned for that. The only people that would find themselves having anything to do with inheritance tax bands are the middle class because they'd be unawared and unlikely to have prepared this situation in the first place. Most inherentance cases are dealt via intestacy laws.

Reactions from people I know have been pretty negative, even amongst people who would consider themselves working class and traditionally vote labour.

Hopefully the focus on going after the super-rich will be popular enough to offset the bad taste of lowering of the inheritance tax threshold. But I really doubt it.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Reactions from people I know have been pretty negative, even amongst people who would consider themselves working class and traditionally vote labour.

Hopefully the focus on going after the super-rich will be popular enough to offset the bad taste of lowering of the inheritance tax threshold. But I really doubt it.
I expect it to die in a ditch even if Labour got into power because labour won't be getting into power without a coalition etc so there's no way most of their idea see the light of days but yeah it's a very poor policy to campaign on and even implement frankly.

Last edited:

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The ones actually investing in UK companies and the British markets won't go anywhere because surprisingly that's where they actually make their money and they're not stupid enough to allow others to take their place. Rich people who can willingly just move their money elsewhere (like they haven't already) provide no benefit to the country anyway.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
They are so dumb. "whaaaa keep taxes low or we will leave." But if taxes are low, what's the point of keeping you here?

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I think it's time for the world's rich elite to look into creating a seperate society. Perhaps in a secret underwater city to protect them from the ravages of the poors.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
First Wall St whining about Warren becoming President, now this. Rich people are scum the world over.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
It would not happen, lol.
Remember so many celebrities threatened to leave US if Trump won in 2016? Remember so economist predicted UK economy would crash and burn if Brexit happened?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017

although an inheritance tax limit of £125k is a bit scary. Limit now is around 3x that but will already often mean you can't leave your house to your kids without them needing to sell it to pay the tax. Why even tax inheritance anyway? I already paid tax when I earned it. Or maybe have exclusions for property and only make it countabkenif the property is sold?
While I agree 125k is low, you're exaggerating. Your kids won't have to sell it, they can mortgage it and between the $125k exemption and they 60% of the taxable amount they keep they're still a huge step ahead.

But yeah, here in the US the exemption is $11m. Yes, that's millions. And the reason it's so insane is because Republican rubes buy into your "but they already paid the tax, why tax it again?" nonsense. Money is taxed when it changes hands. Income, sales, gift, etc. And when it comes to inheritance, that's a great way of letting the rich give even more advantages to their kids and restricting social mobility. The more you let people rest on their parents' laurels, the worse your society is for people who foolishly chose to be born to dirty poors.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
They moved all of their money off shore a long time ago, so they might as well follow it.

Funnily enough, it's a lot harder to move assets, or a customer base. If you make your money off the British public you're still going to have to do business in Britain.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

because without it, the rich will get richer.

You might see that a limit of 125k on inheritance is unfair, while 80% of the population won't ever inherit anything or worse, inherit debts.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

It's unearned income. I couldn't give two shits how much is taxed.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Upper middle class, south or not most middle class family's don't own 300k homes.
A lot do. Some because they bought them when they cost a lot more, some because that's just the price of a home in the parts of the country they live in and they've had to prioritise a house over luxuries.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be super difficult with the Brexit factor and the left divided between different parties too.

Remain is divided between different parties, I wouldn't say the left is divided (in England anyway, obviously a bit more complicated when it comes to Scotland/Wales/NI).

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
A lot do. Some because they bought them when they cost a lot more, some because that's just the price of a home in the parts of the country they live in and they've had to prioritise a house over luxuries.
Yes hence upper middle class. The medium family income in the UK is 28K per household. If your house is worth 300k whether inherented or not, that house puts you ahead of the majority of middle class families wealth capital even if the area is expensive there's nothing stopping you from selling it and buying a cheaper house in a cheaper area.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't be able to leave those millions UK generates. They'll just become more creative.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Most of them have moved their capital out anyway. So at worst we'll lose nothing and they'll physically move to another country. Non-issue really.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Not that it matters if they stay or not, they are probably fucking tax evaders anyway through tax havens and don't pay shit.

But, you know, for fun anyway, invest in a couple hundred of these:
9IWUEnpR0opZWI39xd8iBkfFemMSebzTYdlI3yhhnavnzmQzr_rCi26ccTM4H4wEApr5mZegUzZIKrV0UIGpiAGW=e14-w700-h700-l80-nu

And put one on every limb of those fuckers.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes hence upper middle class. The medium family income in the UK is 28K per household. If your house is worth 300k whether inherented or not, that house puts you ahead of the majority of middle class families wealth capital even if the area is expensive there's nothing stopping you from selling it and buying a cheaper house in a cheaper area.

When my parents bought their house in the late 90s it was only worth like 40k. Now it's worth almost 400k. I wouldn't exactly say they were ever upper middle class. My mum worked as a midwife and my dad stayed at home. They have a comfortable life but that's mostly because they never went on holidays.

Houses are just severely overpriced these days. They're not a good measuring stick for where you are on the social ladder unless your house is worth millions.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
When my parents bought their house in the late 90s it was only worth like 40k. Now it's worth almost 400k. I wouldn't exactly say they were ever upper middle class. My mum worked as a midwife and my dad stayed at home. They have a comfortable life but that's mostly because they never went on holidays.

Houses are just severely overpriced these days. They're not a good measuring stick for where you are on the social ladder unless your house is worth millions.
They weren't then they are now. That's how all investments work. If I buy 100k worth's of shares 25 years ago and reinvested the dividends until their now worth a million does that not make me now an upper class millionaire?

All investments work like this. It's why people invest your net worth isn't solely dependent on the salary of your current job.

Yes valuations of your asset change just like the valuations of people's shares change that's how these things work.

If the house is overvalued they could have sold it and bought a house they considered undervalued and kept the surplus. Just because the house may drop in value doesn't mean your not upper middle class, it means if that happens and you still had the house that you lost money.

Last edited:

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
This is an empty threat you hear every time, in every country where there is "danger" of left getting into power. You won't ditch your life in order to save small amount of money if you are super rich.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Kids get enough benefits growing up rich.
You paid tax. Not your inheritors

Inheritance tax should be as high as possible.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This just puts Corbyn in a good light. If this is real, they're too chicken-shit to do this but if they even do, GOOD!

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Because if you allow the rich to accumulate wealth generation on generation eventually all the money gets concentrated in one group.
But taxing inheritance on £125k or even the current rate is hardly aimed at the rich, all houses in general greater London are over the current rate, so anyone wanting to pass on their house to their kids will have issues with inheritance tax.

I agree with inheritance tax when we're talking crazy high sums, but all it does is hinder the general public right now...

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well they can't leave until they're sure free movement will be protected. Why move now, when if the Tories win they'll be forced to move back?

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good, fuck off then. With these cunts out of the country maybe the narrative will finally not be about protecting them at all costs anymore.