Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Metroid is heavily rumored.

The DK rumors are... much less strong.

It's mostly that EPD is making a big 2D platformer and people hope it's Donkey Kong.

The DK rumors are not as strong as the Metroid ones, but they aren't just speculation. Multiple sources have said EPD is making Donkey Kong specifically. NintendoLife is one, off the top of my head.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I feel like E3 so far should set expectations for the direct, it's pretty obvious that Covid is still heavily effecting game development and it's best to go in not expecting more than one or two big new Nintendo published games.
Nobody here is going to have the same definition as "big", so that's not really a meaningful measure to me.

Metroid, DK and Monolith's next game are all big to me, and all feel like reasonable E3 announcements; and there's plenty more they could show.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I honestly think people are overestimating the chances of this DK thing being real. Wasn't it just sourced from Nintendo Life and Zippo (who was a liar)?

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
It's also not weird to expect something like those games, is unknown what Mercurysteam has being doing after SR and they recently said they have being working in "multiple stuff", and EPD can be working in 5 or even 6 projects at the same time, and we currently know about 3 (BOTW2, Splatoon 3 and GBG), so expecting to see something from them won't be surprising, though who knows if it's DK

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I guess I'm confused why people are allowing other companies' press conferences to set the expectations for Nintendo's presentation (despite there being virtually no overlap between what Nintendo does and the rest of the industry does) when Nintendo's OWN statement about the matter said that its presentation will focus on software "mostly releasing in 2021," of which there are currently 3 known titles, 1 of which releases in 2 weeks and the other 2 are re-releases of old games (and one of those comes out in a month). Not to mention that these other companies, in addition to dealing with COVID, also had hardware launches within the last year, which Nintendo did not. And also, as far as I know, Nintendo's public statements regarding COVID's impact on its software development have consistently downplayed how much it's caused delays. We can choose not to believe that (goodness knows I never take Nintendo's word at face value), but as far as I'm aware, that's Nintendo's public stance on the matter.

This is just, I don't know, very, very strange behavior. Are we really expecting 2/3 of Nintendo's presentation to be taken up by Mario Golf and Skyward Sword?

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. Anyways, I'll probably keep my expectations in check. DK and Metroid being announced out of nowhere and launching in 2021 seems too good to be true.

I would expect Metroid and a big 2D platformer coming from Nintendo in the future with Metroid releasing in a few months.

But not sure the big 2D platformer will be at this e3 or if it will be released this year or if it will be Donkey Kong.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
This is why I'm including other studio games in my Nintendo ranking. Many will forget Mario + Rabbids 2 come E3 end but it is a major announcement for the platform.
My hope is that Nintendo and Xbox complement each other nicely, in the sense that Nintendo has obviously far fewer announcements, but an equal or greater number of tangible, "imminent" 1st-party reveals for 2021 that show some prime gameplay while also showing a couple titles (with or without gameplay) that will maintain our investment and excitement in the next year and a half. Like a flip of the "mostly 2022 and beyond, but some 2021 games" showcase for Xbox

Dec 15, 2017
Looking at the Plagues Tale situation, and I'm up for it. I got both Control and Hitman cloud versions on Switch, beaten both games (probably put a good 60 hours into Hitman) and have nothing but good things to say about it. Bring on more

SupremeBum01

Apr 5, 2021
Final-ish Nintendo Direct predictions:

- 1st party Smash character
- Animal Crossing - Gyroids and Brewster
- Metroid 5
- Age of Calamity DLC Review
- Skyward Sword deep dive
- One more thing: BotW 2 (2022)

One or Two of the following:
- Style Saavy 5
- Fire Emblem Echoes: 6+7 remake
- 2D Donkey Kong
- new Xenoblade

Third Party: Super Monkey Ball, SMTV

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Final-ish Nintendo Direct predictions:

- 1st party Smash character
- Animal Crossing - Gyroids and Brewster
- Metroid 5
- Age of Calamity DLC Review
- Skyward Sword deep dive
- One more thing: BotW 2 (2022)

One or Two of the following:
- Style Saavy 5
- Fire Emblem Echoes: 6+7 remake
- 2D Donkey Kong
- new Xenoblade

Third Party: Super Monkey Ball, SMTV
That would be a top tier Direct imo.

May 1, 2021
Metroid is a lock for 2021.

DK is a more cloudy situation.

I was goofing around in DK64 the other night and I thought "Damn we seriously need a follow up to this game." Hopefully E3 will give us some answers on if that will ever happen. At this point I just want some sort of internal closure/peace of mind on this whole 2D vs 3D DK conundrum.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
So we can stop arguing over whether BOTW2 makes 2021 (it won't) and start arguing over whether DK makes 2021.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
waiting on leaks
tenor.gif

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm old enough to remember back when people thought Final Fantasy Origin was hype instead of the butt of jokes.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Metroid makes sense. But DK feels like a Starfox Grand prix to me. Like there was a LOT of speculation about that last one and some reliable info and literally nothing ever happened.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
As someone who loves weird ports and only owns a Switch, here are some random wild dream announcements with no basis on anything that I somehow hope I'm right about:

-Jet Set Radio Collection.
- Banjo game, old or new. Shit, I would gladly take a Nuts and Bolts port.
- Psychonauts, either the second one or a cleaned-up re-release of the first game.
- Valheim.
- Solar Ash.
- Cuphead DLC.
- Any Yakuza.

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
Metroid makes sense. But DK feels like a Starfox Grand prix to me. Like there was a LOT of speculation about that last one and some reliable info and literally nothing ever happened.

The difference is, a new Donkey Kong game, 2D or 3D, is basically guaranteed to happen eventually. It's not in IP Limbo like Star Fox is, and is being used for the next area at Universal Studios parks.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Ehhhh depends on how you define "Odyssey team."

It's being done by EPD8, which is indeed the studio that made Odyssey. But the rumors say they are creating a new side team within EPD8 for this game. So if it's real it will likely have some of the devs from Odyssey but not most.

Nintendo teams don't really mean anything right? It's more about the project leads and producers? Or is that not the case with the Tokyo studio since they are separate from the main body. I wonder who got promoted to lead it.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Metroids' a lock now huh? So now we have Metroid and presumably BotW 2 trailer with a smash reveal? Tbh that already sounds better than most of E3

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After what we've seen I think Nintendo can definitely have the best conference... as long as they don't fill it up with shovelware like the last few Directs.

Status
Not open for further replies.