Are you planning to buy Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble?

• Yes, on launch day no matter what

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Yes, on launch day if final impressions/reviews are good

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Yes, but waiting for a sale

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Yes, but waiting for a multi-platform release

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Yes, but waiting for [REDACTED]

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Nah

Votes: 22 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
I'm glad the singleplayer sounds good, I thought the multiplayer looked bad when they revealed it but I'll give the game a try for the campaign.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Does the controls feel more like SMB1&2 and less like the last one?
They were slightly off, but enough to annoy me.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Yea...performance issues and 30 FPS on the multi is a dealbreaker for me. Will wait for a better port.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for Dawntrail I would have jumped in day one, but FF XIV takes priority so I'll check this game after the summer.

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Finally had a chance to catch up on the reviews. Seems about what I was expecting with the single player being a return to form but the multiplayer being disappointing (I was preliminarily disappointed once it seemed like 3-4p splitscreen was only possible in Adventure mode).

Will watch some more footage today before making a final decision but I think I'm gonna bite. Been too long since a new good SMB campaign.

I'll get the OT together later so if anyone has any thread title ideas let me know!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had a chance to catch up on the reviews. Seems about what I was expecting with the single player being a return to form but the multiplayer being disappointing (I was preliminarily disappointed once it seemed like 3-4p splitscreen was only possible in Adventure mode).

Will watch some more footage today before making a final decision but I think I'm gonna bite. Been too long since a new good SMB campaign.

I'll get the OT together later so if anyone has any thread title ideas let me know!
Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble |OT| Let's Get Ready to...Roll!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Been playing a bit (japanese eshop version so it already unlocked), some quick impressions up till the 4th world:

- QoL wise they added quite a bit vs Banana Mania. You can configure the manual camera and follow camera sensitivity separately, disable the helper pop-up, adjust the deadzone min/max, turn off elements from the UI and the most cursed one - adjust the visual effect of the stage tilt. If you set it at zero the stages won't tilt at all which feels very weird, good for people with motion sickness I guess tho.
- As far as I can tell there's no challenge mode? Maybe it's unlocked after finishing the story but I couldn't find it. Once you finish a world you can do its time trial though with leaderboards etc.
- Performance definitely isn't great. I have a Switch Lite so can't check docked mode but it feels choppier than Banana Mania even on the singleplayer mode, saw some reviewer suggest it might be a bug that makes the camera update at 50FPS and if so I hope they fix it
- The stages all have 3 challenges for beating it under a certain time, collecting a certain number of bananas and collecting a golden banana somewhere in the stage. Haven't been bothering with the latter two but I highly suggest everyone to try to get the time one before moving onto the next stage, some of them are surprisingly tough.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing a bit (japanese eshop version so it already unlocked), some quick impressions up till the 4th world:

- QoL wise they added quite a bit vs Banana Mania. You can configure the manual camera and follow camera sensitivity separately, disable the helper pop-up, adjust the deadzone min/max, turn off elements from the UI and the most cursed one - adjust the visual effect of the stage tilt. If you set it at zero the stages won't tilt at all which feels very weird, good for people with motion sickness I guess tho.
- As far as I can tell there's no challenge mode? Maybe it's unlocked after finishing the story but I couldn't find it. Once you finish a world you can do its time trial though with leaderboards etc.
- Performance definitely isn't great. I have a Switch Lite so can't check docked mode but it feels choppier than Banana Mania even on the singleplayer mode, saw some reviewer suggest it might be a bug that makes the camera update at 50FPS and if so I hope they fix it
- The stages all have 3 challenges for beating it under a certain time, collecting a certain number of bananas and collecting a golden banana somewhere in the stage. Haven't been bothering with the latter two but I highly suggest everyone to try to get the time one before moving onto the next stage, some of them are surprisingly tough.
Thanks for these impressions! Have you tried any of the multiplayer yet, even with bots?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for these impressions! Have you tried any of the multiplayer yet, even with bots?
Just did a race with bots to test it but it feels pretty bad with the 30FPS, especially if you jump into it right after playing adventure mode. Maybe it's more fun online but I don't have NSO and probably won't sub for this lol

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018

Thanks for sharing! How are you finding the physics so far compared to SMB 1&2 or Mania?

jumper

Oct 27, 2017

I read in one of the reviews that the multiplayer battle modes can also be played with up to 4 players locally. Can anyone confirm?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Day one update coming on release, if this hasn't been posted already.

asia.sega.com

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble Update Details | SEGA

A brand-new Super Monkey Ball game is rolling onto Nintendo Switch!Go bananas with up to 15 friends, family members, or players from around the world in different multiplayer modes!

Update Details
• Improved the frame rate of Adventure Mode when playing in Online Play, Local Multiplayer, and Local Communication.
• Adjusted matchmaking so that players kicked out of a room cannot rejoin.
• Enabled the option to adjust the dead zone settings.
• Added support for additional content.
• Improved game stability.
• Improved performance when the console lacks sufficient free space for save data.
• Adjusted screens and animations.
• Other minor bug fixes.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
gamefly shipped me a copy, but considering how long it just took SMTV to get here cause USPS is slow, it'll be another week before I can play it

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for sharing! How are you finding the physics so far compared to SMB 1&2 or Mania?
To be honest my impression at first was that it felt much snappier to do turns in than BM, but I booted BM back up to compare (and try to do some "objective" tests like holding the analogue stick to one side) and now I'm not really sure lol. It's hard to say what's placebo or even things like how the camera behaves, I imagine people will do in depth comparisons soon enough.

That said, the levels expect you to use the spin dash pretty intensively to get good times so the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is pretty different.

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Day one update coming on release, if this hasn't been posted already.

asia.sega.com

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble Update Details | SEGA

A brand-new Super Monkey Ball game is rolling onto Nintendo Switch!Go bananas with up to 15 friends, family members, or players from around the world in different multiplayer modes!
Wow these seem like nice updates. If they manage to get adventure mode performance consistent and local multiplayer adventure 60fps that'd be great

To be honest my impression at first was that it felt much snappier to do turns in than BM, but I booted BM back up to compare (and try to do some "objective" tests like holding the analogue stick to one side) and now I'm not really sure lol. It's hard to say what's placebo or even things like how the camera behaves, I imagine people will do in depth comparisons soon enough.

That said, the levels expect you to use the spin dash pretty intensively to get good times so the actual moment-to-moment gameplay is pretty different.
Interesting, looking forward to trying it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.