Are you planning to buy Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble?

• Yes, on launch day no matter what

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • Yes, on launch day if final impressions/reviews are good

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Yes, but waiting for a sale

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Yes, but waiting for a multi-platform release

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Yes, but waiting for [REDACTED]

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Nah

Votes: 22 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Reviews
Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble maintains the series' iconic arcade fun while bringing fresh new elements to enhance the game like never before.
CGMagazine (9/10)

Even if someone has never played a Super Monkey Ball game before, they will still have just as much fun with the chaos that Banana Rumble provides, and the main techniques of the gameplay are pretty easy to pick up, although difficult to master.
Screen Rant (9/10)

Even though I wish the in-game shop had more meaningful unlockables, and the minigames weren't an all-pleasing cup of tea, Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is an honest-to-goodness attempt at resurging this series once again. I believe it to be the best attempt yet.
Noisy Pixel (8.5/10)

Banana Rumble shows the value of adding a new spin on a tried-and-true formula. This series has wallowed in its past for a long time, so I'm glad to see the new Spin Dash mechanic propel it into new and exciting places. As far as Super Monkey Ball sequels go, this one is easily the top banana.
GamingTrend (8.5/10)

There are games that do not necessarily have to innovate or dare to propose new mechanics because they are simply already perfect as they are. Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble fits into this category by offering the classic Super Monkey Ball gameplay while introducing nothing more than the spin dash to add further speed to an already frenetic racing. This seems to be the franchise's fate: to occasionally offer hundreds of new levels until gradually interest fades, but so far we have a fun racing game that is easy to complete yet requires a lot of practice to find optimal paths and trajectories. Good.
The Games Machine (8.2/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble really lets you flex on 'em, and for that reason – but not only that reason – I had a blast with this game. It feels like a solid step forward in the Monkey Ball series, and one that packs in enough novelty to refresh the franchise's ever-appealing ball rolling action. AiAi is a timeless hero, and he continues to charm in the modern era.
GamesHub (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a great entry in the series, with loads of single player stages and fantastic frantic online multiplayer.
God is a Geek (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball is back, with the best series entry since the original thanks to hundreds of fun levels, new mechanics, and a surprising amount of challenge even for series veterans.
TechRadar Gaming (8/10)

Banana Rumble truly understands what makes the Super Monkey Ball series tick, giving players the same sense of intense, exhilarating thrill and wholesome fun thanks to its no-frills chaos. With polished fundamentals, Spin Dash, and online multiplayer, it's easy to see Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble fostering a strong community of players for years to come.
Game Rant (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble is the robust revival this classic series deserved.
Digital Trends (8/10)

There hasn't been a new Super Monkey Ball game in over a decade and Sega certainly approached this new entry to the series like it had some catching up to do. There's a lot to enjoy in Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble, from the lengthy story to the local and online multiplayer. It certainly isn't perfect, especially given that some of the series' most recognizable multiplayer modes aren't here. Seriously, no Monkey Target might cause an uproar among fans. However, even with those missing staples and some over-the-top difficulty spikes, this is no rotten banana. Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a strong comeback for the series and will hopefully keep rolling for years to come.
Shacknews (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a fantastic new instalment, taking the visual style of Sega's long-running series to new heights. It takes a while to dial up the challenge, but thanks to smart design, it's welcoming to newcomers and Monkey Ball veterans alike.
Pocket Tactics (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble is a welcome return to new ideas for the franchise, and does manage to avoid inferior minigame replication disappointment by… not replicating the old minigames at all! The choice to ape (pun intended, pun always intended, you know us) Fall Guys' multiplayer formula isn't the best, but there's some fun here. And the main mode is enjoyable too.
Siliconera (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is the return to form that fans have been waiting for. Courses develop in their complexity in order to create the best single-player campaign since the sophomore release. While the multiplayer portion includes new minigames, it struggles to maintain the same level of engagement and longevity as the originals. Despite that, the dedication to improving the franchise's gameplay mechanics ensures it's a significant addition for both longtime fans and newcomers alike.
COGconnected (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a good step forward in the saga, with few but successful changes: the Spin Dash movement enriches the gameplay, and its very flexible difficulty guarantees devilish challenges while making sure nobody gets frustrated. Add up a mostly successful multiplayer modes and fun is guaranteed all summer long.
Hobby Consolas (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble is a decent installment of the franchise, the return that perhaps classic fans of the franchise were looking for, given that it doesn't take much risk in terms of mechanics. Certainly, this part is not negative, after all it is fun to play, especially if done in company.
Atomix (8/10)

Banana Rumble is one of the most complete Super Monkey Ball games in history, with some technical issues that may cause slight dizziness at times, but it's packed with content and challenges for all kind of players.
Nintenduo (8/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a new installment in the arcade series that builds on what it has previously offered. The new features, such as the Spin Dash which gives clean gameplay options alongside engaging mini-games, will excite diehard fans. The Switch is already beginning to show its age, but it still has nice, stable graphics.
GamersRD (7.5/10)

With an excellent Adventure Mode, a highly replayable Battle Mode, and a plethora of online and local multiplayer options, Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is easily the best Super Monkey Ball title available on Nintendo Switch, but unfortunately not without a few major caveats. As long as you can deal with the omission of 3-4 split-screen multiplayer in Battle Mode, the notable absence of the fan-favourite Monkey Target mode, some occasional framerate hiccups, and less than adequate pricing of the DLC, there is still much fun to be had in this brand new Switch-exclusive entry in the Super Monkey Ball series.
My Nintendo News (7.5/10)

Though it does little to stray from the formula, Banana Rumble is a worthy original entry in a series that has somehow survived decades on a fairly simple concept. With a worthy Adventure Mode full of fun stages and addictive challenges, some great inclusions for approachability, a healthy suite of unlockables and some amusing, if not particularly compelling, multiplayer Battle modes, this is a decent overall package for Monkey Ball vets and newcomers alike.
Press Start Australia (7.5/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble's offerings are exactly what you'd expect, a fun and bananas time that is easy to pick up and hard to master. The new gimmick of the spin-dash feels quintessential and juices the experience of working through 200 arcade levels just that little bit more. Though there's room for improvements with online matchmaking and some levels perhaps being a bit too hard for hard's sake, there are just as many quality additions in gameplay assistance tools and the ability to doll your monkey up in dozens upon dozens of cute fits. There's no monkeying around here when it comes to quality— Super Monkey Ball as a franchise remains the belle of the ball.
Checkpoint Gaming (7.5/10)

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble is a pleasant experience. The story may be disposable, but the levels feature some ingenuity that makes good use of the current physics system without feeling unfair. The number of levels will please fans who love the challenge. While the minigames aren't anything fresh, the presence of multiplayer just about everywhere marks a good step forward for the series. Hardcore fans won't see this as besting the original games from all those years ago, but they will still have a good time with this entry. We're hopeful that Banana Rumble marks the start of new games in the series.
Worth Playing (7.5/10)

Ultimately, Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is the classic hit-and-run game that will give great satisfaction especially to those who love playing multiplayer, whether with friends at home or online. Perhaps dedicating yourself only to the single player mode is not enough to fully enjoy the experience, but the quantity of stages and the vast range of customization could satisfy even those who only want to try their hand at the Adventure. The strong point of the production is certainly the gameplay, which offers a mix of simplicity, immediacy and depth capable of satisfying both casual players and those looking for a higher level of challenge.
Everyeye.it (7.5/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble offers a great single-player experience, and if that's what you're looking for, I would absolutely recommend it. However, Monkey Ball has always been at its best during multiplayer mayhem, and that side of this release, despite offering some fleeting fun, feels like a missed opportunity. It's great to see Super Monkey Ball back with a new game, but hopefully, any future entry will fully capture what made this series so beloved in the first place.
Hey Poor Player (7/10)

If all you're looking for in a new Super Monkey Ball game is a selection of new single-player levels to tackle, then you're in luck, because Banana Rumble boasts some of the best stages we've seen in recent memory. The additional 'Spin Dash' ability makes traversal a lot more fun, and the physics feel as close to 'classic' Monkey Ball as the franchise has got in quite some time. Unfortunately, if you're looking forward to the multiplayer modes, then temper your expectations. They're simply not very good for the most part and are significantly hampered by the drop in frame rate. We almost scored this a point lower, but the quality of the single-player just about pulls it up. As it stands, Banana Rumble is a mixed bag, but one worth delving into if you're itching for more single-player shenanigans.
Nintendo Life (7/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is still the most fun I've had with the series in over 20 years, and I'm actually at the time of writing looking forward to taking my Switch with me on vacation to break my own records. I just wish Sega would scale back production, as less is more here. Trying to add a story in this case is as relevant as trying to improve Tetris with a tale of missing blocks, rival gangs and Tetrominos speaking in fake children's voices in a made-up language. It wasn't for their delightful personalities that I once learned to love AiAi, MeeMee, Bano and GonGon - but because they were in an incredibly good game.
Gamereactor UK (7/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a short and sweet addition to the Monkey Ball canon. There's plenty of Monkey shenanigans to indulge in, and fans will no doubt love the new online modes, with the only true caveat being that this is still, unequivocally, more of the same Monkey Ball.
TheSixthAxis (7/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble starts a bit slow, but the later worlds and levels offer new and unique features I've never seen in Monkey Ball before. The risk with the spin dash is fun, but I feel like it often won't be used over the required precision. However, I'm sure people will find ways to hack this game. They still haven't got the mini-games combinations just right. However, it's the fresh ideas the series has needed for a while and the best Monkey Ball game in some time.
Vooks (7/10)

It's old-school gaming, straight to the point, simple and fun.
Daily Star (7/10)

As the first entirely new Monkey Ball game in 12 years, fans of the series will at least be happy to have a selection of new stages to play through. Performance issues and a relatively sparse multiplayer offering prevent it from being considered among the best the series has to offer, however.
VGC (6/10)

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a fun game to play on your lonesome or with friends, even for an hour or so here and there. Just don't expect it to be a game-changer for the series because in truth, if that moment was ever going to happen, it would have happened many years before now.
GAMINGbible (6/10)

But for what it actually is, Banana Rumble is an utterly adorable sequel full of charm, with some decent level design to be had. When it was at its best, it was incredibly satisfying to pull off skips and blast through stages in mere seconds. Now that it's over, I just can't see myself picking it up again.
TheGamer (6/10)

Banana Rumble is fun. I love playing it. I thought I was mostly done playing it until, about 300 words into this review, something unexpected happened: I got The Itch. I'd beaten all the levels, but I wanted to beat them again. I wanted to take a crack at the missions, which I'd largely dismissed as frivolous on my first run. I wanted to go for some records in time attack, especially pre-release, when the sparse competition would all but guarantee me a spot in the top 5. (As of right now, 6:03 a.m. on June 23rd, 2024, I have Giant Bomb's Dan Ryckert beaten by two seconds on the world 1 leaderboards. Dan, if you're reading this: your move.) The game works, in all the ways I expect it to. Maybe not in all the ways I want it to, but so what? Banana Rumble doesn't need to be perfect. It just needs to be good. And for Super Monkey Ball, "perfect" and "good" are very nearly the same thing.
Kotaku (No Score)

Previews
Pretty tardy impressions thread since most previews were back in late April and discussed a bit in the multiplayer trailer thread but with the game releasing next week figured it'd be a good time to kick off some pre-release discussion.

While Banana Mania physics were seen as a misstep, Banana Rumble has gotten some high praise praise in its previews from fans of the original SMB 1 & 2:

Notable features include (full site for reference):
  • Physics that more closely mirror the original 2 SMB games
  • The return of 4p simultaneous split-screen for the main adventure mode (last seen in the original Super Monkey Ball & Deluxe)
  • New 16p online battle modes (playable locally)
  • A new "charge" mechanic that lets you slings you in any whatever direction you're pointing (has cooldown)
Only bummer seems to be battle mode potentially limited to 2p local split-screen with the rest of the 14 characters being bots (see press release and one of the top comment thread responses on the GI video) but everything else seems hype and I'm very likely buying Day 1. Seems like it could be the true return to form I've been waiting for since being disappointed by Banana Blitz on Wii

How many of you are planning to pick this up next week?
72 (6 reviews)

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Have a physical copy pre-ordered since last month. So excited and hyped for this!

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
No co-op was the biggest downer for the last game. Excited to play it in the new game

EDIT: Didn't know this was Switch exclusive. Will wait for a PC version I guess.

Last edited:

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
If they get the physics right in this one they should update the compilation one where they didn't.

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
I'll be there day one. The music, world design, it all looks fantastic, and fresh! It doesn't feel like a retread for once. The level designs also seem much better. Wish I was lucky enough to have gotten an early code, but not long to go now!

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I'll be there day one. The music, world design, it all looks fantastic, and fresh! It doesn't feel like a retread for once. The level designs also seem much better. Wish I was lucky enough to have gotten an early code, but not long to go now!
Oh woah, some people got early codes? Or do you mean review code?

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I assumed these impressions came from early codes for reviewers, right? At least that's how I thought it worked.
Oh nah, these were hands-on previews from back in late April. The only recent pre-release discussion threads have the multiplayer trailer in April and DLC trailer in June so I figured it'd be good to have a dedicated one with the release and reviews coming up soon.

Give me the smb 1 and 2 physics not something close to them plz
Yeah been waiting/hoping for this for a while. The impressions linked above all seem promising with the NWR writer saying their SMB 1&2 muscle memory kicked in while playing while noting how differently Mania played in comparison.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's $70 CAD which is a bit high, and SEGA is the only publisher that puts games on sale quicker than Ubisoft, so I'll be waiting. It does look very good though.

KendoClub

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the physics are good. I originally bought the collection on switch, hated the physics and had to re buy the game on steam to mod/adjust the deadzones to make it feel better.

OP
OP
AppleKid

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I really hope the physics are good. I originally bought the collection on switch, hated the physics and had to re buy the game on steam to mod/adjust the deadzones to make it feel better.
Seems like both the physics are good and there's an option to adjust deadzone per the previews in the OP including Nintendojo's Summer Games Fest preview:
Perhaps the biggest question that will be on the minds of longtime Monkey Ball fans is whether or not Banana Rumble addresses the previous two entries' questionable ball physics. Many fans have maligned both Banana Blitz HD and Banana Mania, but the latter especially sparked their ire because it was a remake of the first two games but had made significant changes to those games' ball physics. For Banana Rumble, everything has been overhauled, to the point that even the dead zone of the ball can be manually adjusted by players. While I can't speak for diehards, I can say that rolling around stages felt very fluid and satisfying. Will it be up to the standards of old school fans? We'll have to wait and see.
Although this writer mentions they can't speak for diehards, the NWR writer stated it triggered their muscle memory for 1&2 physics which is promising.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Just preordered the digital deluxe version on the eShop! I've enjoyed all of the Monkey Ball games, even the "bad" ones, so I'm pretty excited to try this one out.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
If reviews are really good I might get it day one since the base game is only $50. Though SEGA usually drops their prices within a month so I might hold off. I got LAD8 and Persona 3 Reload for $40 within 2 months of release. They have trained me to not bother with day one.

mgfanjay

Apr 9, 2022
Pre-ordered it physical at Best Buy to save a little and then ordered a couple of controllers to ensure a more fun experience

Kazooie

Banned
Jul 17, 2019
I do not know how to answer the poll. I am waiting for my birthday which is only a month after release, but that is not waiting for a sale, nor is it buying day 1...

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
Reviews are out, and they're quite mixed.

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble Reviews

Join AiAi and friends in Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble, where you and up to 16 players can compete online across multiple game modes as you aim to become Top Banana! You can also work together with your favorite bunch in 4 player cooperative mode, or slip into a wonderfully crafted story in...
In particular, VGC's review says that Battle Mode has severe performance issues, there are some framerates hitches in the Story Mode, so it doesn't feel as smooth as previous entries. So in summary, a solid singleplayer experience but a lackluster multiplayer.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Join AiAi and friends in Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble, where you and up to 16 players can compete online across multiple game modes as you aim to become Top Banana! You can also work together with your favorite bunch in 4 player cooperative mode, or slip into a wonderfully crafted story in...
In particular, VGC's review says that Battle Mode has severe performance issues, there are some framerates hitches in the Story Mode, so it doesn't feel as smooth as previous entries. So in summary, a solid singleplayer experience but a lackluster multiplayer.
Nintendo Life's pretty in line with that

If all you're looking for in a new Super Monkey Ball game is a selection of new single-player levels to tackle, then you're in luck, because Banana Rumble boasts some of the best stages we've seen in recent memory. The additional 'Spin Dash' ability makes traversal a lot more fun, and the physics feel as close to 'classic' Monkey Ball as the franchise has got in quite some time. Unfortunately, if you're looking forward to the multiplayer modes, then temper your expectations. They're simply not very good for the most part and are significantly hampered by the drop in frame rate
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/super-monkey-ball-banana-rumble

Personally I had zero interest in the multiplayer so don't mind if it's bad

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The frustrating part is this will almost certainly eventually come to PS5 and have a better chance at a multiplayer audience there anyway

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
Apparently the big issue with the multiplayer is that some of the games aren't particularly fun, and the framerate is halved to 30fps, making the games feel rough to play.

Seems like another case of "I wish they'd just waited until the Switch 2." :(

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Apparently the big issue with the multiplayer is that some of the games aren't particularly fun, and the framerate is halved to 30fps, making the games feel rough to play.

And that means I won't buy this game on Switch. Hopefully it comes to ps5.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we will ever get back the amazing multiplayer minigames of the likes of SMB Wii.
If the Solo is solid, as some previews are saying, then I'm happy about it.
Also, even if the bulk of the sales will be on Switch, it's kinda weird to release the remake on everything and then go back to that, maybe it has to do how that remake performed ?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

I'd say that's a big issue, yup lol. If you take away the fun and the performance, all that you're left with is a mode that basically just exists haha.

Happy to hear the single player is strong, but multiplayer being a wash means this is absolutely a wait for sale.

Brake

Feb 6, 2018
I played the game and just released my review to a Brazilian Portuguese website. :) I can say that I enjoyed Rumble a lot more than Banana Mania, the single player campaign is really fun and I didn't have much trouble with the controls / physics this time around. Multiplayer modes are a bit rough though and I can agree on that regard. Also, it has a few slow loading screens sometimes.

Mar 11, 2020

Ah so it's a typical 3rd party Switch game :(

Damn this is looking so good and i doubt it will stay exclusive but sucks to be in the dark of how long that will last.

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
I'd say that's a big issue, yup lol. If you take away the fun and the performance, all that you're left with is a mode that basically just exists haha.

Happy to hear the single player is strong, but multiplayer being a wash means this is absolutely a wait for sale.

It's embarrasing that after so many attempts, they still can't just get it right. I'm glad the singleplayer is strong, but the online multiplayer was one of the big sellingn points for me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's embarrasing that after so many attempts, they still can't just get it right. I'm glad the singleplayer is strong, but the online multiplayer was one of the big sellingn points for me.
I made a thread here when MP was revealed because I thought it looked kind of weak, and all the replies were "this looks great, I don't know what OP was talking about". I thought I was crazy because these modes always looked lame to me, and more specifically just not what people are looking for from Monkey Ball multiplayer. I was hoping I was wrong, but I guess not

Like, if they fixed the physics in this game then they should have just ported the original party games from Banana Mania again to give them to people the way they were meant to be played.

SpiritDusk

May 5, 2024
I made a thread here when MP was revealed because I thought it looked kind of weak, and all the replies were "this looks great, I don't know what OP was talking about". I thought I was crazy because these modes always looked lame to me, and more specifically just not what people are looking for from Monkey Ball multiplayer. I was hoping I was wrong, but I guess not

To me, the graphics look slightly worse (?) than Banana Mania. In fact, there were rumours that this title is also coming to Apple Arcade later. I bet that's why it looks like this.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Bummed about the co-op mode. It drops to 30 even with just two players?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Bummed about the co-op mode. It drops to 30 even with just two players?
From the way the Nintendo Life review is worded (and this may be wrong), it sounds like it goes to 30fps for all forms of multiplayer, even if it's just one person on a switch playing online or with bots. It doesn't sound like any configuration of multiplayer allows for 60fps.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
From the way the Nintendo Life review is worded (and this may be wrong), it sounds like it goes to 30fps for all forms of multiplayer, even if it's just one person on a switch playing online or with bots. It doesn't sound like any configuration of multiplayer allows for 60fps.
That's what I inferred but I was hoping I misread it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Def gonna wait for the PC port with hopefully a locked 60
My fear is that when and if this gets ported to other platforms, especially PC, the interest will have died down so much that there will be no audience around to enjoy a better performing multiplayer mode anyway. I don't see multiplayer for this game doing well on PC at any point, but a port somewhere down the line stands almost no chance.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
My fear is that when and if this gets ported to other platforms, especially PC, the interest will have died down so much that there will be no audience around to enjoy a better performing multiplayer mode anyway. I don't see multiplayer for this game doing well on PC at any point, but a port somewhere down the line stands almost no chance.

You're not missing much there. The multi-player here pretty much tops out at fine. A few of the games are fine and the online play felt decent enough but these modes just aren't that fun.

Still, as a single player game this is as good as any game in the series. Just a question of whether that's what someone is looking for.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
You're not missing much there. The multi-player here pretty much tops out at fine. A few of the games are fine and the online play felt decent enough but these modes just aren't that fun.

Still, as a single player game this is as good as any game in the series. Just a question of whether that's what someone is looking for.
Yeah that's fair. I'll be honest, monkey ball to me always means those initial party games from 1 and 2. I enjoyed the single player, but that's not what I think of when I think of the series. So this is a bit of a bummer to me, and just compounds how disappointing Mania was

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Yeah that's fair. I'll be honest, monkey ball to me always means those initial party games from 1 and 2. I enjoyed the single player, but that's not what I think of when I think of the series. So this is a bit of a bummer to me, and just compounds how disappointing Mania was

Agreed. I was a bit bummed by it too, its why I gave it a 3.5/5 despite really enjoying the single player content. Its a good game, but with a strong set of multiplayer modes it could have been a great one.

jumper

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the local co-op doesn't take a fps hit (where you have up to for players split screen going through the story mode). I'm not as interested in the other multiplayer modes, but it isn't great that those run at 30 fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.