Capra

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/ahfaVTfPmAk?si=Ns_tAmIJT_XVeTY9
This new side by side comparison by Nintendo Life shows how the graphics have been updated while retaining that classic prerendered SNES Mario RPG look. It's so funny how my brain tricks me into thinking the remake is 1:1 when really there are a lot of visual changes for the better.

I didn't know Mario was fuckin Courage the Cowardly Dog in this. Transforming into Bowser and Peach to pantomime at Old Toad.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
Following the recent previews, I'm really pleased by what I'm seeing. It just looks beautiful and the changes to the combat system make sense.

I've said it before, but the original is a very dear game to me, so I'm just elated by how much care they're putting in the remake.

Oct 25, 2017
oh, any mention of teleports or something like that to exit dungeons?

a minor annoyance of the original was the best place to grind to max lvl is deep in the final dungeon, but if you wanna fight culex it is a long ass trek back out.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The text boxes look fine for me, but it's weird that they didn't saw this opportunity to add a sound effect for advancing dialogue.

They look "fine" but are the one thing that lost the charm of the original in the transition. Which stands out because of how good everything else has transitioned while retaining it's original feeling.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
I honestly prefer it over the original animation. What's wrong with the new one?
It's hard to explain, but the rhythm and sound of it aren't as satisfying. The old one is faster and has a kind of "wave" motion where it comes in from the sides of the screen and converges in the middle, and which coincides with where you press the button to get the timed hit. I need to see what the new one looks like with the additional timed hit strike though (assuming the one above is showing it without the timed hit).

Edit: Nothing really wrong with the new one, though. It looks good. I just think it's missing something that the old one had.

TsarOfAbility

Oct 28, 2017
So curious how I'll feel about this when I finally get to play it. Preordered last night as it had pretty similar deals going to the ones Mario Wonder got in the UK.

I love TTYD, but when I finally played PM1 at the start of this year I thought it was incredibly mid whilst being maybe the nicest looking N64 game.

Superstar Saga I've attempted to beat about 5 times and I always just get fatigued halfway in and drop it for whatever reason.

Haha I feel exactly the same about PM and M&L, although I don't think I ever made it halfway in my 5 attempts. But I have played SMRPG and it's one of my favorites, and completely unique in the Mario universe. Hope you'll like it!

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

This new side by side comparison by Nintendo Life shows how the graphics have been updated while retaining that classic prerendered SNES Mario RPG look. It's so funny how my brain tricks me into thinking the remake is 1:1 when really there are a lot of visual changes for the better.

Seeing how faithful they were in a lot of aspects is just insane to me.

This is how you do a remake. It's clear a lot of love and care went into making this, and it shows.Truly incredible stuff.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I hope they put a Pit of 100 Trials in this game. They put them in most if not all the Paper Mario games and a lot of the Zelda games starting in the early 2000s. (Even BotW got one after DLC.) I'd love to battle my way down the chain. Put the bosses in every 20 levels or something. Maybe hide the entrance in the forest or somewhere.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
The text and text boxes seem to be the only thing that I think look noticeably "worse" but that seems to be a common problem for all kinds of older games enhanced/remade now.
I don't mind the new UI. This gen Nintendo went in the direction of standardizing the UI / text among most of their games, so it's not really a surprise that SMRPG is no differenr. But I agree that it does feel a bit out of place in this game in particular.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Frogfucious is now "Frog Sage".

Mmm...not a fan. I know he's the "Frog Hermit" in Japanese, but that's awfully generic.

We knew Smithy was still Smithy, yes? Kinda wondering if Exor and Culex will keep their names.

Dat music.

DAT MUSIC.

NEED.

sylvester-the.gif

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I remember one of my friends thinking "Frogfucius" was kind of offensive, so I was wondering if they'd keep that or not

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Frogfucious is now "Frog Sage".

Mmm...not a fan. I know he's the "Frog Hermit" in Japanese, but that's awfully generic.

We knew Smithy was still Smithy, yes? Kinda wondering if Exor and Culex will keep their names.

Exor was confirmed to still be Exor by the UK site.

www.nintendo.co.uk

Jump into a Mario RPG adventure!

Repair the wish-granting Star Road with the help of Princess Peach and Bowser in Super Mario RPG for Nintendo Switch!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The most striking and pleasant change for me is the addition of more environment in places where there used to be nothingness on the fields and on the world map. It's all "filled in" with beautiful environments, which makes the world feel way more alive and immersive.

God I can't wait.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
literally the only thing I outright dislike from the previews is the animation when you get into a battle

bring back the big rotating yellow star!

edit: never mind I'm thinking of the wrong game lol, ignore me (it's mario & luigi)

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I remember one of my friends thinking "Frogfucius" was kind of offensive, so I was wondering if they'd keep that or not

Oh yeah, I forgot people pointed out he's something of an Asian stereotype.

If that's the case, I kinda wish they substituted it with clever (albeit more tactful) wordplay, but oh well.

literally the only thing I outright dislike from the previews is the animation when you get into a battle

bring back the big rotating yellow star!

You're thinking of Superstar Saga. That one is a classic!

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Can we talk about the box art?

71OESFBh6AL.jpg

Is this really what they're going for with the final box art? All the sites seem to be using this and I'm hoping it's just placeholder because it's definitely gotta be one of the worst box arts for any major release in recent memory if this actually ends up being used.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017

71OESFBh6AL.jpg

Is this really what they're going for with the final box art? All the sites seem to be using this and I'm hoping it's just placeholder because it's definitely gotta be one of the worst box arts for any major release in recent memory if this actually ends up being used.
It's a throwback to the minimalist boxart of the original from japan and it's awesome!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

71OESFBh6AL.jpg

This is the official art on the eshop, so this is it.

I agree that it's not good.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
😔

The original JP boxart is also bad and this just looks so stark by modern game box art standards. The JP original at least has the horizontal orientation going for it, and Yoshi.

Not a fan of this choice of cover at all, but I guess it's the game inside that counts.

Maybe I'll look online after launch and see if anyone's made alternative box art I could print out and use instead.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022

71OESFBh6AL.jpg

This is the official art on the eshop, so this is it.

I agree that it's not good.
It's a callback to the old Japanese box art.
😔

The original JP boxart is also bad and this just looks so stark by modern game box art standards. The JP original at least has the horizontal orientation going for it, and Yoshi.

Not a fan of this choice of cover at all, but I guess it's the game inside that counts.

Maybe I'll look online after launch and see if anyone's made alternative box art I could print out and use instead.
The Japanese boxart was good so this one is as well.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

71OESFBh6AL.jpg

It's a reference to the original Japanese box art, so you're not allowed to dislike it, sorry

Jul 18, 2020
Oh yeah, I forgot people pointed out he's something of an Asian stereotype.

If that's the case, I kinda wish they substituted it with clever (albeit more tactful) wordplay, but oh well.

I always felt he was designed to be a parody of Confucius, I had no idea his original name WASN'T Frogfucius because it's super fitting to how the character looks.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Hopefully the box art is reversible. I understand it's based on the SNES Japanese cover, but it just doesn't look good in my opinion.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I love the official boxart. It's pretty unique and stands out from your typical Mario game.

- Why are the characters standing in front of a blank background with a neutral expression, almost like some kind of mugshot?
- Why are they not looking at the camera?
- Why is Bowser there? Is he an enemy or ally? You can't really tell because of the lack of expression.

The boxart already hints at the game being different and weird.

Those fan-made boxarts are a lot more generic and "kiddy," in my opinion.