• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing is they can work on DLC for the next 6 months or so with new boards and what not. Then they can move on to the next Mario Party game.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Only 4 boards is absolutely terrible. Would rather them take away the River Run and co-op modes if it meant we had at least 8 boards instead :/

I hope DLC will come to fix this issue but with nothing announced right now, it doesn't look good. I wouldn't say the same is exactly starved for content but I was really hoping they were going to blow this out of the park and really bring back Mario Party and while Its great that they've done back to the older style of gameplay the limited amount of content is a damn shame.

Eighthours

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
None of the reviews I've read confirm whether you need 2 copies of the game as well as 2 Switches to play the minigames that need 2 consoles linked together. It did seem that way at E3, but that requirement is ridiculous and I wondered whether Nintendo saw sense.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Sounds perfect to me, curious to see if we get any post release support like other recent spinoffs and multiplayer games. Then again this is mostly for family get togethers for me right now, I have other games for the single player fix

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad it's reviewing well, and the game looks really good, but I really wish one day Nintendo could really ship a Mario spin off game that isn't lacking in content. We've seen it with Aces, and now with this: they have a great foundation but it feels almost rushed. 4 small boards? We come so close to a great package once again.

Time went to making the mechanics are actually good.

Before that, content was the corcern (yet still rushed, meaning more iterative gameplay and the common criticism of annualized sequels), but that's easily fixed with DLC nowadays.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind if they scrapped single player mode in future Mario Party games. It's not an aspect I see people craving for. I want more focus on the main party mode.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like every pro I find about this game has an opposing con.

Pro: A return to form for its main board game mode.
Con: Only 4 boards and they're less differentiated than we're used to.

Pro: There are tons of modes to try out, and 80 mini-games is a lot.
Con: But it's 80 spread across a few modes and you end up with (my asspull numbers) like 50ish for the board game mode and 10+ for each the 4p co-op mode and the sound stage mode.

Pro: It seems very polished in the presentation. The graphics are clean and crisp. The font and general UI design is very modern.
Con: Almost too Apple-like in its sterility, and not what I would associate with Nintendo fun.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sure hope they take the DLC approach from now on instead of crapping out annual sequels.
since wii got 2 and wii u got 1, i doubt they would suddenly go back to the n64 days of 4 mario party games on one console. there will likely be a second one released towards the end of switch's life, giving them more than enough time to support this one with pos-release content.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I want to get this game, I do. I'm also happy the reviews are better than what I expected. However, I just can't get past the fact that there is no online mode that's just the regular board game. I know it sounds petty or whatever, but I would love to be able to play with my friends or family when we're in our respective households etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the game is doing fairly well. At least, it's a step back to the original games and mechanics, which is a relief of course (after multiple trial and error on Nintendo's side). Could anyone tell me if you can play handheld by yourself? Like along with other CPU? Or does it need to be in table top mode because of joy con mini games?

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Does it play online or it is friend code only ?

Edit: nevermind. Each time is a missed opportunity

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be shocked if this doesn't get updates of some kind, the majority of Nintendo's big first-party Switch games have gotten it. Hopefully online play for boards is at the top of their list.

I'm glad the game is doing fairly well. At least, it's a step back to the original games and mechanics, which is a relief of course (after multiple trial and error on Nintendo's side). Could anyone tell me if you can play handheld by yourself? Like along with other CPU? Or does it need to be in table top mode because of joy con mini games?

You straight up can't play in handheld.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
I already got a release day party planned so it's heartening to see some good reviews. I've not played a Mario Party since 5 and still have fond memories of the earlier ones. Being limited to using one Joy-Con is weird but not a dealbreaker by any means. That there's only four boards is a little disappointing, but hopefully they're all killer no filler (my memories of the series is that people tend to gravitate to 2-3 boards per game anyway) and more will probably come with DLC.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The one thing i don't get, how dows the multi switch mini game works?

I'll be playing this on a tv but a friend is bringing his switch over as well, we need to play in tabletop mode or...?

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
I want to get this game, I do. I'm also happy the reviews are better than what I expected. However, I just can't get past the fact that there is no online mode that's just the regular board game. I know it sounds petty or whatever, but I would love to be able to play with my friends or family when we're in our respective households etc.

Not petty at all. No online board play is the main reason I'm not getting it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Not petty at all. No online board play is the main reason I'm not getting it.

It's like one step forward, two steps backwards. The game being good is great news, don't get me wrong. But with the fact you can't play in handheld mode and there's no regular online board game mode, it's two steps backwards. I'll get it if they ever do add an online board game mode, but man, what a weird decision.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Another Nintendo first party multiplayer and another game that's lacking in content and online options...

Will they ever learn?

I would be less frustrated if you needed someone's friend code to play online because there's no matchmaking with the online game mode rather there being no online regular game mode and not being able to play online.

CornIsGood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad this turned out decently. Hopefully they add to it with DLC boards, instead of releasing Super Mario Party 2 next year. Either way, I'm sure I'll have a good time with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Another Nintendo first party multiplayer and another game that's lacking in content and online options...

Will they ever learn?

It's super frustrating. On one hand the core gameplay of these games seems incredibly fun, but with as little content as there is, I just don't see myself ever buying these franchises again if they keep pricing them at $60.

It's really soured me on a lot of Nintendo's B-Tier multiplayer games this gen. ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces, and now Mario Party all seem to have the same issue. Fun to play, but not a ton to keep you going. I'm sure it won't be the last either, and my personal worst case scenario is Mario Golf turning out the same way.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you mean since $80 is nothing to sneeze at but you could've bought just one https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...lse&productId=prod840595&categoryId=cat831381

Also if you're serious about Switch ownership and you've had yours for at least a year, you should have a backup set of joycon already. It's kind of necessary especially if you expect to have company over.
Honestly we mostly use the 2 pro controllers. For a 3rd controller we use the the 2 joycons controller. Last person gets stuck with that one.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
It's like one step forward, two steps backwards. The game being good is great news, don't get me wrong. But with the fact you can't play in handheld mode and there's no regular online board game mode, it's two steps backwards. I'll get it if they ever do add an online board game mode, but man, what a weird decision.

Oh yes, it's a huge missed opportunity. For people that have families or roommates, great, but many gamers (such as myself) live alone and never really have opportunities to do local co-op. Am I really going to spend $60 on a game that I will be able to use MAYBE once or a twice a year at a holiday gathering or something? Hell no. I'm assuming you can still do single player board play against the AI, but that's obviously not much fun.

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna ask if its possible to play the board game mode over local wireless, but I think being forced to use single joycon controls is enough of a deal breaker already. fuck those things.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a meeting in 2 minutes so being brief, I was going to get this to play on a flight with my gf in tabletop mode.

Is this a bad idea? Seems like there's a lot of waggle and movement that might not be done in a fun way while being seated.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
With only minigames online multiplayer and no boards or anything this is a hard pass.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so the game will end up being the second best reviewed game in the series, with only one point below the best one (the first game). not bad.

screenshot2018-10-03a31fzx.png

I have a meeting in 2 minutes so being brief, I was going to get this to play on a flight with my gf in tabletop mode.

Is this a bad idea? Seems like there's a lot of waggle and movement that might not be done in a fun way while being seated.
probably

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No handheld mode? Thats bullshit. Its a no from me. If I did get it, i would play online minigames most the time in handheld mode.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Oh yes, it's a huge missed opportunity. For people that have families or roommates, great, but many gamers (such as myself) live alone and never really have opportunities to do local co-op. Am I really going to spend $60 on a game that I will be able to use MAYBE once or a twice a year at a holiday gathering or something? Hell no. I'm assuming you can still do single player board play against the AI, but that's obviously not much fun.

It's 2018, a Mario Party with full online functionality should of been a no brainer. Especially with it not being playable in handheld mode, it's the least they could of done. Even if it's locked behind two things
(a) Requiring Online Subscription
(b) Friend Codes

I would of understood that much cause at least they're trying to push online to get more people on it and there's probably a larger amount of people who would be like "it's only an extra 20 for a year" etc. It just kills me man, I would of had a lot of fun with my best friends or family members playing this online during the weekends etc

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like content is very lacking. Very disappointing after coming from Mario Tennis Aces....4 boards only is just terrible. And honestly, they don't look good to begin with. I think I'm going to skip this and wait to see if more content comes out. Mario Tennis Aces burned me pretty good, not letting that happen again.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2018, a Mario Party with full online functionality should of been a no brainer. Especially with it not being playable in handheld mode, it's the least they could of done. Even if it's locked behind two things
(a) Requiring Online Subscription
(b) Friend Codes

I would of understood that much cause at least they're trying to push online to get more people on it and there's probably a larger amount of people who would be like "it's only an extra 20 for a year" etc. It just kills me man, I would of had a lot of fun with my best friends or family members playing this online during the weekends etc

It's so bizarre. At one point I might have thought "well the board segments can go on for a long time, maybe they're afraid of ragequitters, maybe they can't get the minigames working online, etc". But here, the boards are smaller and the turn limits shorter than ever, the minigames are already playable online, and they can easily limit online play to friends only if they're afraid of randoms quitting mid-match. There's just no logic behind its continued absence.