Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so sad my copy got delayed :( it's supposed to be here but no one can really give me an update.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta be honest, I played 4 hours last night when I only should have played 2. It was pretty tough getting up for work this morning but man the game is so good.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just did the concert in New Donk City and nearly teared up at the end. I haven't had this much of an emotional reaction to a game in an incredibly long time. Jesus christ Nintendo

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how no matter where you go in the game there's something there. I was rolling down a thin incline and fell off the edge, rolled my eyes cuz "oh geez another death there goes 10 coins" but no I fell into a deeper part of the area with more shit to collect. This fuckin' game

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God I really wish Nintendo would just give you an option to skip to the post-game.

I really want to click with the 3D Marios but most of them are too much of a cakewalk, I can't get engaged because I feel like I'm on autopilot the entire time.

I was debating picking up a Switch to play this one, but if it's even easier than Galaxy...I just can't see myself finding it all that appealing unfortunately.

Kind of stinks that I can't get into these games like 99.99% of players and critics seem to be able to, but them's the breaks...

EDIT: Should probably add - happy that all the fans are really enjoying it.

Also, if anyone wants to convince someone who was ambivalent towards every 3D Mario to pick this one up because it's different/a lot better, I'm all ears!

Oct 27, 2017
Suffering through a gosh darn flu at the moment, but Mario and Cappy are helping to soothe my aches. Absolutely love the colours within the Sand Kingdom!

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of random, but did anyone pick up the smaller/paperback Prima guide for this? My wife decided she wants to get the guide, and I weirdly can't seem to find any real clarification on what the difference is between the small/paperback version and the hardcover collector's version other than price and about a 40-page difference. The amazon listing for the CE version has a section in the description as follows that is NOT in the paperback version description:

Secrets, Power Moons, and Mini-Game Coverage: Discover everything the game has to offer as you journey to save Princess Peach.

But it would be totally insane for the smaller one to not have all of the moon locations right? Looking to save like $20 here if I can lol.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
The frigging moon right in the middle of Cap Land is killing me. It seems like the frog is just short of jumping into it...

Other moons are well hidden in this kingdom, too.

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
Well 120 moons so far and I'm in NDC :)
Nintendo Switch 6 months in, 2 GOTY so far incredible ^^

Oct 25, 2017
I've played roughly 3 to 4 hours and I seriously can't bring myself to move on from the Sand Kingdom. I just love exploring it too much.

This game is going to consume me after work.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Still at work, but I had to give it a quick go. Just running around the first area... the controls, jump combos/moves that we all know and love, the smooth framerate, the feel. It's like SM64/Galaxy all over again. I'm instantly in love. Gonna savor this one for sure.

Now, how do I pick between this and BOTW for GOTY? Can I pick both?

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
God I really wish Nintendo would just give you an option to skip to the post-game.

I really want to click with the 3D Marios but most of them are too much of a cakewalk, I can't get engaged because I feel like I'm on autopilot the entire time.

I was debating picking up a Switch to play this one, but if it's even easier than Galaxy...I just can't see myself finding it all that appealing unfortunately.

Kind of stinks that I can't get into these games like 99.99% of players and critics seem to be able to, but them's the breaks...

Also, if anyone wants to convince someone who was ambivalent towards every 3D Mario to pick this one up because it's different/a lot better, I'm all ears!

For me it's more of a puzzle game than a 3D platformer so far. You have to figure out how to manipulate the hat mechanics to trigger certain effects or reach new areas. This makes it less about technical skill, but still very engaging as a sort of sandbox. It's more in line with the spirit of Super Mario 64 than Galaxy/3D world games. I personally find it to be a lot better tuned than those, and after only playing for a few hours would easily put it on par with SM64. I think it will end up being my favorite 3D mario game, so if you have a Switch you should definitely check it out.

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GOTY easily, and I've only got a few hours in...It looks amazing and oozes charm out of every square inch...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is the sequel to Banjo Kazooie that I always wanted.
I kinda let this post slip by me but you know, uh,

The more I think about it the more this makes a shocking amount of sense. Like, I don't expect Nintendo to have looked at Banjo-Kazooie for pointers... but this game does a lot of things that Banjo-Kazooie got so right with collectathon platforming. I can't help but agree with you, so much of this is what I've always wanted out of a new Banjo.

Like, the level structures feel very BK inspired; one objective in a world quickly leads into the next. Rather than being booted out of a level the game trusts you to set new quick goals within yourself. Some objectives even alter the level. Coins have way more intrinsic value than previous Mario games, just like Notes did in BK. Possessing enemies and overcoming obstacles is just like Banjo-Kazooie's transformations but in a streamlined fashion.

You're absolutely right. In many ways Odyssey feels like Nintendo designing a Rare platformer. And I know that's kinda ironic since Banjo-Kazooie basically iterated upon Mario to begin with, but both Mario 64 and BK were pretty different beasts, and this almost seems to take the best of both worlds - the control of the former with many of the gimmicks and structures of the latter.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is pure joy. I got to the end of Wooded Kingdom last night and went back to search for moons/purple coins in the first two kingdoms. I think I prefer the Galaxy games over this, but out of the sandbox style games Odyssey may be the best. Looking forward to playing more this weekend.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
First post!

2r2uijk.png

Can't wait to start playing!

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's more of a puzzle game than a 3D platformer so far. You have to figure out how to manipulate the hat mechanics to trigger certain effects or reach new areas. This makes it less about technical skill, but still very engaging as a sort of sandbox. It's more in line with the spirit of Super Mario 64 than Galaxy/3D world games. I personally find it to be a lot better tuned than those, and after only playing for a few hours would easily put it on par with SM64. I think it will end up being my favorite 3D mario game, so if you have a Switch you should definitely check it out.
Thanks for the insight. I'm on the cusp of picking up a Switch and giving Odyssey a shot, but I'm hesitant for the reasons in my initial post.

Usually I hate to do this before playing a game, but I might look up some gameplay videos and see how the moment-to-moment experience plays out.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
Took like 10 minutes to beat the stupid boss from the beach kingdom just because he's so hard to actually hit. Probably my fault (and maybe because I'm playing on handheld mode), but it was annoying as hell.

I just did the concert in New Donk City and nearly teared up at the end. I haven't had this much of an emotional reaction to a game in an incredibly long time. Jesus christ Nintendo

Same here, it's such a magical moment.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Seriously considering running out to pick up a Switch Odyssey bundle. I don't want any other Switch games right now (got Zelda on Wii U) but the reactions here are hyping me for this game, maybe enough to buy a console for it.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. The 2D segments are genius. The first two bosses are totally easy however.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the insight. I'm on the cusp of picking up a Switch and giving Odyssey a shot, but I'm hesitant for the reasons in my initial post.

Usually I hate to do this before playing a game, but I might look up some gameplay videos and see how the moment-to-moment experience plays out.

If I could recommend a gameplay video to watch, I liked the Quick Look of this game by Giant Bomb. Doesn't spoil too much while they're playing through the Sand Kingdom (not sure how much you care about that but it was a plus for me), and gives you a good idea of how the game works.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game. This skin is so awesome. This is end game spoilers so don't click.

4m0ISNd.jpg

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played for a bit.

Nintendo is good making games that's for sure. Is like they are Mozart and the rest of first party developers are Salieri.
Not sure if I'm liking it more than Galaxy, but is amazing so far.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I just cleared New Donk City and 118 moons. Idk this is cute and fun but I think I prefer the other Mario games, especially 3D World. So far very few of the puzzles for moons or coins feel clever compared to past platforming and level design. And I miss the 4 player coop in 3DW and shorter levels with more clever hidden items. The challenge and design here feels blander than I had hoped, especially with less use of Cappy to capture items than the trailer led me to believe. I also get tired of being in a kingdom for 1-2 hours to get everything. I prefer shorter, tighter level design.

I'm glad everyone's having fun, I am too, but this is not my favorite Mario game so far, nor anything close to GOTY for me.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

Even before the post game there are separate platformibg rooms that can be quite challenging and other areas in the main sandbox worlds where you can almost set your own challenges by trying to reach moons in creative ways beyond the obvious path. So far I've already skipped a few plarforming sub-areas because of how hard they were.

megaRammy

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed my copy this morning, been playing all afternoon. What a fucking game. Amazing so far!

They really need to remake the Galaxy games in this artstyle, control scheme, + engine

Omnicent

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
My copy just arrived in the mail. Sadly it's raining and I have raid in 18 minutes.
Something to look forward to later tonight.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is my favourite mario game of all time. The little details have been insane. I get the complaints about it being a little easy, but it's still a super fun game and I have found some challenge in the challenge rooms.

krioto

Oct 27, 2017
i bought it for my son and me to play yesterday, but he's come down with stomach bug and can't play, so I'm waiting until he feels better to start, so please keep posting impressions!

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Just a simple yes or no is all I want but am I correct to assume that the giant metal(?) blocks and empty portraits hanging around some of the levels are going to be dealt with in either postgame or after the initial visit?

Tobe

Oct 25, 2017
im sick so no work, i feel like utter crap but goddamn this game soooo goooood. after getting like 40 moons on sand kingdom move toward the others ones to find one the ship has the # of moon in each kingdom, HOW IS ONLY ONE KINGDOM HAS 69 MOONS!?!?!?!

This is gonna take a while to complete.

Edigar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Game is amazing, but i really didn't like the split Joy Cons input. It's just not for me. I see the Switch as a portable machine and love to play It as such.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017

I'd say that even though it's easy, it's very different to Galaxy in that the focus is on exploration and not reaching a goal. For that reason alone I don't think the lack of difficulty is an issue.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even before the post game there are separate platformibg rooms that can be quite challenging and other areas in the main sandbox worlds where you can almost set your own challenges by trying to reach moons in creative ways beyond the obvious path. So far I've already skipped a few plarforming sub-areas because of how hard they were.
Are all the moons in a level/kingdom available at the same time? And you use the open-world to find them in whatever order/way you want? Or is it structured more like the other 3D entries where you select one mission at a time?

If it's the former, that sounds very cool and like a change I can really get behind. It might even sell me on picking up the game.

(Also - sorry if I'm asking about info that's been obvious leading up to release, I haven't seen any footage of or followed any news about Odyssey.)

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This is honestly the best Mario game I've played since Mario 64.

I knew it would be good, but I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Game is amazing, but i really didn't like the split Joy Cons input. It's just not for me. I see the Switch as a portable machine and love to play It as such.
Is it not enjoyable in handheld mode? I sampled it in split mode, but I'm going to most likely be playing it in handheld mode. I would play docked w/ split if it absolutely made it better though.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Finally bought the Switch & Mario bundle. First time I actually see a real Switch, and damn, that thing is tiny! I was expecting it to be the size of a Wii U Controller.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Finally bought the Switch & Mario bundle. First time I actually see a real Switch, and damn, that thing is tiny! I was expecting it to be the size of a Wii U Controller.
Yeah, if you remove the JoyCons, the unit is about as wide as a 3DS XL. Which, given the power/resolution difference between the units, is pretty amazing.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily like giving opinions on games during their honeymoon periods, but my face hurts from smiling so much while playing this. I don't think I've felt this way about a game since Mario Galaxy.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Game is great. Enjoying it immensely. The difficulty lies with the hidden things and I like it. If you are stumbling, just progress forward and come back to that hard bit later.