• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
999 baby! 100% complete!

Could not believe I can complete this game. My platforming skills are a bit rusty but still managed to pull through up until the final challenges.

And that payoff to the final challenges...the feels...

Do you get something kinda cool at 100%?? Anything different from after
Darker side of the moon?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question for those of you who have beaten the game and are going back to collect stuff.

Did you just slowly work up to 9,999 coins for the skeleton outfit as you collected the moons or did you purposefully farm coins somewhere?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get something kinda cool at 100%?? Anything different from after
Darker side of the moon?

You get something, not nearly as good as that though. It's more of like a "thank you, well done!" type thing. But it's still kinda neat.

Quick question for those of you who have beaten the game and are going back to collect stuff.

Did you just slowly work up to 9,999 coins for the skeleton outfit as you collected the moons or did you purposefully farm coins somewhere?

I chose to farm at the
Bowser's Castle beanstalk. Which I think is the unanimous best farming spot.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is somewhat off-topic but still related, but finishing Odyssey's final level inspired me to go back and fully complete 3D World, as I never unlocked the final world with Champion's Road and such. I wanted to see how that compared to Odyssey's final level.

And well, it is indeed quite challenging. The part I can't get past is the beep blocks part. Keep in mind I'm doing it without any power-ups as I feel it'd be kind of cheap to just go through it in a raccoon suit or whatever. I gave up for the time being but I looked at a video online to see what I have coming up next after that part, and surprisingly it seems that the beep block part is indeed the hardest section and getting past that, you have a pretty good chance of making it all the way. Obviously this is just me judging from a video, which is a whole lot different than actually playing it yourself, but aside from the very last part with the speed boosts, I think I can quite easily manage it if I could just get past the beep block part. Is that commonly seen as the most frustrating part of that level? I always heard such intimidating things about Champion's Road, but looking at the whole thing, it seems quite manageable. But I actually haven't played through the whole thing yet, so maybe I shouldn't be talking.

I do think it's harder than Odyssey's final level, though. On another note, going back and playing 3D World after Odyssey took some adjustment, as Mario feels a whole lot more stiff in the former game, and I miss all the fancy jump combinations you could pull off with Cappy.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
882 moons
just have Bowser's Kingdom left to 100% and then it's off to finishing off Dark side, i think i have 5 challenge rooms left, did not care for the yoshi room. And then I can finally beat darker side.
the volleyball challenge has been completed, could not do it 1p, had to use 2p and then i stopped at 169. I'll need to farm coins too. also loved the fact that theres a visual indicator as to if you've 100% a kingdom by looking at the base of the globe on your ship, i think it's just moons and not moons and coins though.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game and now im grinding out moons in the end game. Finished the main story with 347 moons.

However, now that its over, I noticed something and have a question:

I noticed that you can buy stacks of Moons at the store in groups of 10. What does this do? Does this make it so that people dont have to grind out for moons? Or do I need to buy these to get all of them?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game and now im grinding out moons in the end game. Finished the main story with 347 moons.

I noticed that you can buy stacks of Moons at the store in groups of 10. What does this do? Does this make it so that people dont have to grind out for moons? Or do I need to buy these to get all of them?

It's basically a way for you to get to the post-post-game without having to find enough moons to do so, if you choose. I believe you can buy an infinite amount of moons at shops, but there is at least one thing you can unlock that requires finding all the moons in all of the kingdoms.

In order to get 999 though for the very minor thing you get for that, you need to buy some moons.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

You can buy infinite moons, and you'll need to buy several to get to the maximum of 999, but it's mostly just for bypassing the next couple moon lockouts

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically a way for you to get to the post-post-game without having to find enough moons to do so, if you choose. I believe you can buy an infinite amount of moons at shops, but there is at least one thing you can unlock that requires finding all the moons in all of the kingdoms.

In order to get 999 though for the very minor thing you get for that, you need to buy some moons.

Wow, i actually hate that. I guess its cool theres an option, but that takes away a lot of the post game.

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just collected the last moon last night.

It's a good thing the pro controller build quality is great, because it probably would've snapped in half during my rage while trying the
Dark Side Bullet Bill moon.

I can't remember the last time I have raged this bad in a game... such a poorly designed challenge.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the main story at 290 moons. Sooo good. Nintendo really outdid themselves with this one.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, i actually hate that. I guess its cool theres an option, but that takes away a lot of the post game.

It doesn't take anything away, you can still go and get all of those moons even after reaching 999. And it's a much bigger pain in the ass to buy that many moons since moons go for 100 coins a pop.

It's a good thing the pro controller build quality is great, because it probably would've snapped in half during my rage while trying the

I can't remember the last time I have raged this bad in a game... such a poorly designed challenge.

Why do you think it's poorly designed? I also got extremely frustrated on that one but it seemed like a fine design, just like the majority of those other challenges.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For those going for 100%, how are feeling about some of the repeated content for some of the moon types?

I'm not minding it much for the most part, personally. The way Odyssey handles common objective is kind of the best way it's been done in any 3D Mario. Looking at Bianco Hills in Sunshine we can kind of see this at its worst: out of the 10 objectives, we have a sludge piranha boss battle (which is seen in almost every stage); two battles against Petey; two "secret" stages (which I won't hold against the game because they're always good, but it does show how repetitive the structure can be); a chase against Shaddow Mario (something that's done in every stage as well as in the hub multiple times); and FOUR red coin missions (also seen in varying capacities in every stage). Now, there's plenty of unique content between these objectives in Bianco Hills, but all the mission types aside from the two Petey battles are seen extensively in other levels. All it'd need is an El Piantissimo race and we'd have everything lol. And you still get this in Mario 64 with stuff like the koopa races, red coins, and most of Tall Tall Mountain which really just sees you making your way to the top of the stage a little bit more for each star you collect. Also see: the comet stars in the Galaxy games, and green stars in Galaxy 2, which just sat around and kicked you out of the level whenever you found one.

And basically, that whole not getting kicked out thing is what makes all of this mostly fine in Odyssey. Moon shards (this game's red coin equivalent), koopa races, little challenge zones, picture clues ect. let you get a moon and keep exploring, ON TOP of just being a small part of each kingdom. So even though, yeah, I do actually think there are too many moons in a lot of instances, there aren't as many that come across as straight up padding as you'd think, because these objectives don't account for 1/6 of the missions you do in a given level. The truly open nature of the levels help too, which somewhat makes up for not being able to do chunks of levels in any order you'd like.

That being said, the Lakitu fishing really upsets me haha. It's maybe the only moon type (aside from the dogs? But those kind of stink too) one that doesn't change a wink from kingdom to kingdom. And the fact that they're just fish silhouettes is plain lazy and boring, it's honestly the only thing that's felt like a chore to me. If anything is flat out busywork in this game, it's this.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
For those going for 100%, how are feeling about some of the repeated content for some of the moon types?

I'm not minding it much for the most part, personally. The way Odyssey handles common objective is kind of the best way it's been done in any 3D Mario. Looking at Bianco Hills in Sunshine we can kind of see this at its worst: out of the 10 objectives, we have a sludge piranha boss battle (which is seen in almost every stage); two battles against Petey; two "secret" stages (which I won't hold against the game because they're always good, but it does show how repetitive the structure can be); a chase against Shaddow Mario (something that's done in every stage as well as in the hub multiple times); and FOUR red coin missions (also seen in varying capacities in every stage). Now, there's plenty of unique content between these objectives in Bianco Hills, but all the mission types aside from the two Petey battles are seen extensively in other levels. All it'd need is an El Piantissimo race and we'd have everything lol. And you still get this in Mario 64 with stuff like the koopa races, red coins, and most of Tall Tall Mountain which really just sees you making your way to the top of the stage a little bit more for each star you collect. Also see: the comet stars in the Galaxy games, and green stars in Galaxy 2, which just sat around and kicked you out of the level whenever you found one.

And basically, that whole not getting kicked out thing is what makes all of this mostly fine in Odyssey. Moon shards (this game's red coin equivalent), koopa races, little challenge zones, picture clues ect. let you get a moon and keep exploring, ON TOP of just being a small part of each kingdom. So even though, yeah, I do actually think there are too many moons in a lot of instances, there aren't as many that come across as straight up padding as you'd think, because these objectives don't account for 1/6 of the missions you do in a given level. The truly open nature of the levels help too, which somewhat makes up for not being able to do chunks of levels in any order you'd like.

That being said, the Lakitu fishing really upsets me haha. It's maybe the only moon type (aside from the dogs? But those kind of stink too) one that doesn't change a wink from kingdom to kingdom. And the fact that they're just fish silhouettes is plain lazy and boring, it's honestly the only thing that's felt like a chore to me. If anything is flat out busywork in this game, it's this.

This is one of the best parts of the game for me. I love most of the repeated challenges - even the seed ones - a very fun hide-and-seek. I'm also really impressed with how this game handles boss rematches. It's not so much (same boss but with more ____). It actually gets changed up a lot.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

I mean there's that one time where you might fish up
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
instead...

But yeah, Lakitu and the Dogs are probably the only moon types that feel really boring to encounter. The rest you might already know how to achieve, but you have to adapt it somewhat to new terrain which is a puzzle in itself often enough.

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why do you think it's poorly designed? I also got extremely frustrated on that one but it seemed like a fine design, just like the majority of those other challenges.
Maybe "poorly designed" was a poor choice of words, I liked the idea of the challenge but felt it was executed poorly. My frustration came from the accuracy of the controls, sometimes my long jumps just wouldn't execute properly. The camera also made it hard to judge where Mario landed on the blocks. The blocks could've been moved together by a millimeter and I think the challenge would've still been challenging but not as frustrating. All my attempts boiled down to... Okay, I know exactly how to do this, I hope I get lucky this time and my long jumps are executed perfectly. This moon and the 100 skip rope jumps were a bit much.

Didn't mind them mostly. Wasn't a fan of the following though...

- The seed planting. Simply because you have to wait for the plant to grow and check back later. Why not just grow instantly? :S
- The dog. Tedious to run around with him randomly and hope for a star.
- Fishing. Just boring really.
- Art hints, the need to switch between the OS screenshot UI and managing the ones you have found by deleting them was just super clumsy.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So I was going to take a break from the game, but yesterday night I boot up New Donk for cleanup... this stage is so good in the postgame and I discovered a bunch of new moons. This was by far my favorite level to revisit, felt like I was in the early hours of the game again. I couldn't remember
if the SMB 1-1 stage with audience was in the original version, or if that's postgame only? Anyway that was a great little moment.
It's also great that they let you replay the festival. I played that on handheld first time around, but it's better on the big screen.

At this rate I'm never going to get back to Wolf, stop pulling me back in Mario :p

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! I'm loving the game so far, and I'm trying to take my time with each level. If I follow each level's main "story goal," will it always be pushing me to something new? I don't want to keep moving forward and realize that I'm at the end game without ever re-visiting a level. Are there any goals that send you back to earlier levels?

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you talking about this? SPOILERS:
https://twitter.com/X23RME/status/925736323436068864

what is poorly designed about this?

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Okay! I also RAGED during this until I figured out something I had been doing that works in other games, but not Odyssey.

Holding down ZL/ZR when you land a long jump usually goes directly into a roll which can mess up the next consecutive long jump. After I realized this it took me like 6 tries (vs. the 70-100 before that).

Mcriords

Oct 27, 2017
Not getting as much time as I'd like to on this game but loving every moment of it. Gone are the days where I could spend all day on a game.

Just done the first Bowser fight, was intrigued to see how it would play out. Looking forward to see how they progress.

Loved the Wooded Kingdom boss, very easy but was great fun.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In rethinking the ending, I really like Princess Peach model in this game.

I had like 7000 coins that I naturally collected by the end of the game...I am er not sure how that happened.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You know what controls suck?
Yoshi
. There's a lava challenge bit where you have to do like a flip up and if you don't get it the first time the only way to get off the wall is to leap dive to your death.

Last edited:

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I actually found it easier to do jump dives from block to block instead of long jumps for that bullet bill challenge.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
You know what controls suck?
Yoshi
. There's a lava challenge bit where you have to do like a flip up and if you don't get it the first time the only way to get off the wall is to leap dive to your death.
I dislike how Yoshi handles. At least in his challenges you don't have to re-get those fruits if you die.

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Ya, that one.

I mentioned poorly designed was probably poor word choice...

Maybe "poorly designed" was a poor choice of words, I liked the idea of the challenge but felt it was executed poorly. My frustration came from the accuracy of the controls, sometimes my long jumps just wouldn't execute properly. The camera also made it hard to judge where Mario landed on the blocks. The blocks could've been moved together by a millimeter and I think the challenge would've still been challenging but not as frustrating. All my attempts boiled down to... Okay, I know exactly how to do this, I hope I get lucky this time and my long jumps are executed perfectly. This moon and the 100 skip rope jumps were a bit much.

It looks easy in the tweet (which it should be), but the - what seemed like - random failure of long jumps was really getting to me.

As someone mentioned above, not holding in the triggers does help so you don't go into a roll.

I dislike how Yoshi handles. At least in his challenges you don't have to re-get those fruits if you die.
Ya, I found his handling super frustrating as well.

Last edited:

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Just came in to moan about losing a shitload of coins on this one myself, lol. I've been really enjoying the game with split joycons, but some of these late game stages make these small sticks and buttons feel a little imprecise (or at least they make it a little more difficult to be precise). Gonna try on a pro controller later tonight.

Last edited:

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has anyone found some good places to farm coins? I'm currently farming the booster flower mission in
Bowser's Kingdom
, but resetting it doesn't feel that efficient.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Has anyone found some good places to farm coins? I'm currently farming the booster flower mission in
Bowser's Kingdom

I've been having a lot of success on the lookout in Wooded Kingdom. Get coin purse enemy coins outside of the secret flower field, grab a seed and plant it in the lookout, complete the stretchy guy sky challenge, grab regional coins from ledge before you drop down, repeat!

Not sure where it stands in terms of efficiency, but it's more active so I enjoy it more.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
So I've beaten the game, and I can now
activate the moon rocks in all kingdoms. What do they do? Do they just highlight where power moons are? Do you need to use the moon cubes to access any power stars, or do they just give hints?

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the "main" game. That
desolate moon, the church, the wedding music
, such amazing eerie atmosphere. Loled big time at
Bowser trying to fit that giant ring on Peach's finger
. Then you have the entire ending sequence where you
possess Bowser
. Words aren't enough to describe its awesomeness.

Then...WTF PEACH???;!???!

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
activate the moon rocks in all kingdoms. What do they do? Do they just highlight where power moons are? Do you need to use the moon cubes to access any power stars, or do they just give hints?
The moons that are highlighted on the map are new moons to collect, separate from the ones you were collecting before.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017

I thought the moons from the moon rocks were new moons that were previously unavailable until you beat the game, but maybe I've been wrong?

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I'm in the postgame I strongly disagree with the characterization that the moons are filler, I feel like the content is much more substantial than being compared to korok seeds...

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Now that I'm in the postgame I strongly disagree with the characterization that the moons are filler, I feel like the content is much more substantial than being compared to korok seeds...

Yeah comparing getting the moons to Korok seeds was a joke. Getting moons is much more varied and interesting.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Bowser's Kingdom

I just use the room with the frogs at Bonneton, there's a hidden wall with 60 coins, get out-get in, grab another 60, rinse, repeat

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I've completed the main game and went back to
Bowsers Kingdom
. The shop there sells endless
Moons
. What's the maximum you can buy? I've bought 15.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've completed the main game and went back to
Bowsers Kingdom
. The shop there sells endless
Moons
. What's the maximum you can buy? I've bought 15.

After you beat the game every shop sells infinite moons, it's just a way for you to get to the next required moon count if you don't want to play more of the game. Which is weird, since it's way harder to farm coins than to just play the game.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
After you beat the game every shop sells infinite moons, it's just a way for you to get to the next required moon count if you don't want to play more of the game. Which is weird, since it's way harder to farm coins than to just play the game.

What??

So that means you can have an unlimited amount of moons?? What?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What??

So that means you can have an unlimited amount of moons?? What?

The max is 999, and there are certain events that happen in the post game when you've achieved certain moon counts. I believe you can buy moons as much as you want to get to 999, but then when you add more moons (either ones you have bought or collected) the counter just doesn't go up.

There's a certain thing that you get if you get all of the moons from every kingdom, so just buying them endlessly doesn't get you everything. Again, not that you'd ever want to buy them all.