• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • 95 - 99

Votes: 37 5.2%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 286 40.5%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 70 9.9%
  • 75-79

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • under 75

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be holding off on this one. Was super excited for the first game and to see all the crazy levels everyone would create.

Then once the game released it became impossible to find good levels. All the upvoted levels were just levels that auto played themselves and you weren't supposed to move.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be holding off on this one. Was super excited for the first game and to see all the crazy levels everyone would create.

Then once the game released it became impossible to find good levels. All the upvoted levels were just levels that auto played themselves and you weren't supposed to move.

The search tools improved with updates last game using the bookmark website. This game has the tools integrated directly into the game. Shouldn't be nearly as much of an issue as the launch of the WiiU game.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Hi, I'm in the US.
Since I can't get the delightful stylus, is there an often recommended one for the switch I can order on amazon?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I think the worst feature stripped out of MM2 is being able to edit downloaded levels. Not being able to see how a level works with contraptions and such is a bummer. Just limits people from expanding on ideas or finding ways to integrate things into their designs.

Rayjee

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to -want- this one, but it just doesn't interest me if it's only local co-op :(
Good friend of mine is crazy excited though but they aren't local. Gonna be hard to put cash towards this before patch.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Waypoint review: "I hope nintendo doesn't fail the community"

Ron Howard voice: "They will"

With that said still super stoked to boot this up tomorrow. First game was incredible and the new changes + multiplayer looks fantastic.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just trying to set realistic standards. It's not hard to find lots of good content. But even among all the great levels people make if the expectation is to play infinite Nintendo quality levels, you're likely going to be disappointed. If you can see the appeal of user made levels doing random crazy stuff that is also not pristine in polish, you'll find lots of stuff.

For example, I make largely traditional levels. I'm pretty slow at making but to do one single level may take me anywhere from 6-16 hours to make. And even then those levels are not anywhere near Nintendo quality. They are solid but that's about it. You'll play some true genius levels though that really blow your mind. That is the stuff that makes the game unreal imo.

Check out some of these levels
Is that mecha bowzilla something you can still do in MM2? You're allowed to chain items and enemies together like that?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
added a ton of reviews to the OP, including reviews in spanish, french, german, italian, dutch, portuguese and bosnian. that covers all reviews cataloged in metacritic and opencritic so far. i'll check back and add any reviews published after this point to the second post of the thread.

edit: added a few more reviews to post #2.

Last edited:

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
52 reviews in and its got an 89 which is exactly what I predicted in here (Was going to buy it regardless of what it got because its 2D mario and I know I like it already lol). Will be looking forward to picking it up when its out! Probably going to buy it digital and use that Nintendo voucher thing and pick up another game with it that'd be good for digital. I'm having trouble thinking of which one though because Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon I'd all buy physically. Maybe Link's Awakening...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
52 reviews in and its got an 89 which is exactly what I predicted in here (Was going to buy it regardless of what it got because its 2D mario and I know I like it already lol). Will be looking forward to picking it up when its out! Probably going to buy it digital and use that Nintendo voucher thing and pick up another game with it that'd be good for digital. I'm having trouble thinking of which one though because Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon I'd all buy physically. Maybe Link's Awakening...
use the second voucher to get dragon quest XI S: echoes of an elusive age - definitive edition :)

PatShallBe

Oct 28, 2017
Is it worth buying for the campaign alone? No interest in Building stages or getting a Nintendo Online Subscription.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Is it worth buying for the campaign alone? No interest in Building stages or getting a Nintendo Online Subscription.

Don't think so ... BUT

Amazon prime gives you 1 month free to test it
Amazon Prime gives you Twitch prime
Twitch prime has something that gives you 3 months free of nintendo online subscription (and more 9 months if you keep subscribed for 2 more months)

or buy physical go berserk on the campain and trade in after a day on best buy xD

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does difficulty work in multiplayer, does it just keep selecting random difficulty's or do you get to choose one to stick with?

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017

The best thing to do is dip into the Reddit or Twitch scene and follow great creators, or join a discord or something. You don't even need to participate much or really get into the SMM community. But once you get plugged in, good levels abound.

It really was a shame Nintendo's search was so bad. I'm really hoping it's better, but I'm not getting my hopes until I actually see it in action.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The best thing to do is dip into the Reddit or Twitch scene and follow great creators, or join a discord or something. You don't even need to participate much or really get into the SMM community. But once you get plugged in, good levels abound.

It really was a shame Nintendo's search was so bad. I'm really hoping it's better, but I'm not getting my hopes until I actually see it in action.

I remember trying to do this with the last one and having no luck. All I was looking for was creators making well designed "traditional" Mario levels and I had no luck.

Every creator id see upvoted on reddit was making the same thing that was upvoted in game, either levels that played themselves or levels with a weird twist such as "super challenging" or "survive the enemy waves".

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
I think the worst feature stripped out of MM2 is being able to edit downloaded levels. Not being able to see how a level works with contraptions and such is a bummer. Just limits people from expanding on ideas or finding ways to integrate things into their designs.

The obvious issue there is that people would just download levels, change one small thing, and release it as their own often without crediting the original creators.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The obvious issue there is that people would just download levels, change one small thing, and release it as their own often without crediting the original creators.

I don't think you could upload levels you downloaded from Course World (with minor changes) in the original Mario Maker. Because Nintendo realised people would plagiarize courses if that was possible.

It's just a weird omission from this game.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
5bdf121f16716c7ab71261344ae9b701.jpg

Digital version just unlocked. Lets gooo!

Edit: wrong thread kek

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think you could upload levels you downloaded from Course World (with minor changes) in the original Mario Maker. Because Nintendo realised people would plagiarize courses if that was possible.

It's just a weird omission from this game.

Oh then maybe it just slipped through the cracks. Like the weird online multiplayer restrictions.