• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
So at this point... couldn't you basically just recreate Super Mario 1-3, World, and all the New?

There are various course elements that are not available in Maker that are available in the other games. So in theory, you COULD, but not without great compromises. Still, one could recreate a good portion of stuff.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
really? it's still 4/21. idve thought its about 12 hours away, at the earliest.
The Japanese trailer said "4/22" and a good rule of thumb is to go one day earlier from whatever Nintendo Japan posts for the rest of the world.

Splatoon and Smash are better about the timezone differences in their announcements.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Lol fuck that's insane numbers, I thought it was a flop from the way you all talk about it
This website is full of armchair sales experts. Best to just ignore all discussion about stuff like that.
So at this point... couldn't you basically just recreate Super Mario 1-3, World, and all the New?
No. Tons of stuff is still missing. Plus you'd be missing the original physics for those five games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Things of note while quickly checking through the new items:
  • SMB2 Toadette does use custom sprites.
  • The Underground, Ghost House and Castle Themes use SMB2's Underground theme while you have the SMB2 Mushroom.
  • Like the Master Sword, the SMB2 Mushroom also changes certain sound effects. Bonus = Character Select; Boss = Boss Theme (with a Birdo effect); Final Boss = Wart Theme (with a Wart effect).
  • A new enemy wheel was added just for the Koopalings.
  • Similarly, the masks have their own item wheel in the 3D World theme.
  • They didn't change "Extra Game Styles" at all, if anyone was predicting that to be the case.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Things of note while quickly checking through the new items:
  • SMB2 Toadette does use custom sprites.
  • The Underground, Ghost House and Castle Themes use SMB2's Underground theme while you have the SMB2 Mushroom.
  • Like the Master Sword, the SMB2 Mushroom also changes certain sound effects. Bonus = Character Select; Boss = Boss Theme (with a Birdo effect); Final Boss = Wart Theme (with a Wart effect).
  • A new enemy wheel was added just for the Koopalings.
  • Similarly, the masks have their own item wheel in the 3D World theme.
  • They didn't change "Extra Game Styles" at all, if anyone was predicting that to be the case.

The duck super jump from SMB2 is in!!!

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Not that I'm bothered, but World Maker seems to be pretty much entirely what they showed in the video. Fairly bare-bones, except for a few other 1-up minigame houses.

The SMB2 duck jump is pretty cool.

Also I'm trying to pin what the music is for the Space world theme?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The Koopaling bosses are legit. They all have different attack patterns and putting wings on them mixes it up even more. Incredible.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey, with world's, now you can enter stages with the power up from the previous stages, right? Would be really cool to have alternate paths depending on the power up you got from the last level you gone through.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hey, with world's, now you can enter stages with the power up from the previous stages, right? Would be really cool to have alternate paths depending on the power up you got from the last level you gone through.

I haven't actually tried it yet but it's been discussed in the thread, this seems unlikely, since it couldn't carry between game styles and would break levels designed with a restricted power-set.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Just tested it, you can't do this. Levels always start you out as small Mario. This is probably due to the fact that the levels don't need to share game styles.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
How well did this game sell btw?

5.04m units shipped as of 12/31/2019.

It is the 12th best seller on the Switch as of now.

Super Mario Maker (Wii U)

4.01 million pcs.

Do you see why people are disappointed in the sales of Mario Maker 2? People thought the original was limited by the Wii U and the sequel would do tons better. It doesn't look like it was all that limited. The market for people wanting to make levels is a bit smaller than folks might like. Splatoon 2 has sold close to double the 1st one has already (5M for Splatoon 1 vs ~10M for Splatoon 2) as a comparison.

They added a friends list!!
Nice!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

No, you can't carry over a power up level to level. You start every level small.

4.01 million pcs.

Do you see why people are disappointed in the sales of Mario Maker 2? People thought it was limited by the Wii U and do tons better. It doesn't look like it was all that limited. The market for people wanting to make levels is a bit smaller than folks might like. Splatoon 2 has sold close to double the 1st one has already (~10M) as a comparison.

Nice!

Obviously the sales are disappointing. The game isn't done selling yet though. I't at 5m after 3 quarters. It wont have any trouble reaching 7-8m when all is said and done.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

4.01 million pcs.

Do you see why people are disappointed in the sales of Mario Maker 2? People thought it was limited by the Wii U and do tons better. It doesn't look like it was all that limited. The market for people wanting to make levels is a bit smaller than folks might like. Splatoon 2 has sold close to double the 1st one has already (~10M) as a comparison.
This is really disappointing. I honestly like the game as an infinite supply of Mario levels, I don't really mess with the editor myself at all. I feel like they could be missing out on marketing to people like me somehow.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
OK, now that it seems I'm going to get back into this game in a big way, I guess this is the best place to ask; are there any creators out there or that anyone follows that just makes good, fun levels? I was really over all the troll kaizo levels and just found trying to parse through them was a pain.

So if anyone would like to share a creator or even their levels, I'd greatly appreciate it.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Holy shit this is so much of what I wanted from the original release. Ended up deleting after ~15 hours messing around with 3D Land assets but I am def back in for this.

Would have been an insane direct feature

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Frog Mario is red in multiplayer to differentiate him from Luigi, neat. Luigi getting both the canon Frog and Link costumes, haha.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017

4.01 million pcs.

Do you see why people are disappointed in the sales of Mario Maker 2? People thought the original was limited by the Wii U and the sequel would do tons better. It doesn't look like it was all that limited. The market for people wanting to make levels is a bit smaller than folks might like. Splatoon 2 has sold close to double the 1st one has already (5M for Splatoon 1 vs ~10M for Splatoon 2) as a comparison.

Nice!

It hasn't even been out for a year and it outsold the MM1. Splatoon 2 in three quarters on the market was at 4.91 compared to the 4.94 total on the Wii U

By your standards Splatoon 2's sales were also a disappointment