• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Boos are just the opposite of likes. Thumbs up or thumbs down, basically. SMM1 only had likes ('stars' in that game).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
200px-BooMP8Official.png

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Boos are just the opposite of likes. Thumbs up or thumbs down, basically. SMM1 only had likes ('stars' in that game).
Does your level get delisted if you get too many boos? Or does it just allow you to filter out the booed levels?

If I can filter them out I think I'll like that, I think that would give you more higher quality levels on a more regular basis

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only boo I support for this game.

Seriously if booing a level does anything other than remove a level from your personal search again or something like that I don't like it at all. People will boo any level they struggle on fair or not. If those boos are public then that's harmful.
I like it if it's just an optional filter

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Yeah we have no firm info on how the game will handle boos. There certainly is potential for abuse depending on how it works, but at the same time, there were so many times in the first game when I said "man I wish I could anti-star this one". Personally I would only use it for low-effort course design or outright troll levels.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If everyone runs out of lives in a competitive multiplayer level how does it decided who places 4th - 1st?

Edit: oh nm I guess it would just be in the order of who died first now that I thought about it

Oct 25, 2017
I'll preface this by saying it sucks but any chance Nintendo limited the water usage to the forest theme to prevent spamming of water levels all over the place???

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
It seems we're reaching a point where recreating most levels from original 2D Mario games in any style will be possible right?

Also, do we have any idea of what the remaining style is? I'm sure they'll reveal it at E3, as a last surprise no one saw coming, though it won't take much time in the Direct but will have a great impact right before the game's release.

I'd love a Super Mario 64 style with more jumping options! Long jumps would be crazy.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah we have no firm info on how the game will handle boos. There certainly is potential for abuse depending on how it works, but at the same time, there were so many times in the first game when I said "man I wish I could anti-star this one". Personally I would only use it for low-effort course design or outright troll levels.

Low effort course design is often just kids having fun.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Also, do we have any idea of what the remaining style is? I'm sure they'll reveal it at E3, as a last surprise no one saw coming, though it won't take much time in the Direct but will have a great impact right before the game's release.
We don't know if there even is one. People are making assumptions based on the UI but nothing is confirmed. There could be another announced at E3, a future DLC, or nothing at all.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
What's weird about Angry Sun is that Angry Sun has a "modern" design, since it appeared in Mario Kart DS/Wii, which basically used designs similar to the NSMB series

latest

They just went ahead and made some radical new design that barely seems to fit in the NSMBU aesthetic for some reason.
The new one fits the nsmbu aesthetic a lot more than the one you posted.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
It seems we're reaching a point where recreating most levels from original 2D Mario games in any style will be possible right?

Not at all. It's not even just certain levels, as was mentioned above. Even the most basic levels in all of these games did things that are impossible to recreate in SMM2. I played through the first few levels in Super Mario World a few days ago, and it was disheartening to see all the things in that game that are not implemented in SMM2. We've got a lot, but there's a long, long way to go before we have everything.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
If people are concerned about kid-created levels getting boo'ed to oblivion, if we can't see the amount of boos then what difference would it actually make? All I can see happening is the benefit of kid-created levels not showing up as much in random play.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Right, there is evidence that boos won't be visible. Also, what's stopping a kid from making a kid level and just...not uploading it?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I am 100% positive I remember people going "There must be DLC styles" based on the UI for the Wii U game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not all the options/gui were shown in the direct. You can select the difficulty before doing a endless mode challenge, but they didn't show it.

I'm sure you'll be able to play with friends online.
There's like no reason to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. I was so excited knowing I could playing Mario online with friends, until I found out they never mentioned playing with friends. All they showed was playing online with random people.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If people are concerned about kid-created levels getting boo'ed to oblivion, if we can't see the amount of boos then what difference would it actually make? All I can see happening is the benefit of kid-created levels not showing up as much in random play.

Do we know if people will be able to see the amount of boos on their own levels? If they can I'd imagine it could be a bit upsetting/discouraging to see all that negative feedback on their levels.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's like no reason to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. I was so excited knowing I could playing Mario online with friends, until I found out they never mentioned playing with friends. All they showed was playing online with random people.

We haven't seen the app yet. I'm sure one of these two things will happen:
1) Create rooms with friend inside the game
or
2) Create rooms with the app (A bookmark like app)

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine boos are just there to make stuff like Endless more enjoyable for people playing them. I love troll levels but there is a time and a place.

Optimally the boo system is completely invinsible for the creator and just about match making.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Well there could be local multiplayer (on one system).

I think they'll let you play local in the levels you create but not on random online ones, as Nintendo won't able to control which levels are fit for multiplayer, some crazy ones could be unplayable. It would be silly not to let parents play the easy level they just created with their kids.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll let you play local in the levels you create but not on random online ones, as Nintendo won't able to control which levels are fit for multiplayer, some crazy ones could be unplayable. It would be silly not to let parents play the easy level they just created with their kids.
I thought the same too before I watched the video, but they said there's no "Edit" button in the bottom left hand corner to show it was the co-op building. I guess they could be hiding the Edit button though.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game's being pushed heavily as a driver for NSO. I think post-launch support is an easy assumption to make, question is if it is handled any different than SMM1.

CaptainMatilder

Certified FANatic
May 27, 2018
Scroll stops. How do they work?
In the direct a vertical line of blocks was placed exactly in front of a thick grid line. So, does the scroll stop only work at those 9 vertical thick grid lines? Can only solid blocks used for this? Or any blocks like breakable ones? I would guess the former since breaking a breakable block would destroy the vertical line of blocks and the scroll stop would not work?