• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
7 out 10 is BS and I'm not even a diehard Mario fan

This is hella different from Zelda's 8.8 but that won't stop some people for mindlessly saying that this is a similar situation, and that a good review is just a good review.

From a purely logical stand point it doesn't make sense.

If you want to critisize a review, critisize the content of the review, not the score. The reviewer explained why he thought it was a 7/10, you didn't explain why you think the review is BS, and instead immediately jump to insults.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
And it only seems to be further amplified when it's a Nintendo AAA release. The Nintendo fanboy hivemind is real, man. And it hasn't slowed down in 20 Goddamn years.
ERA had people tracking the TLOUII score weeks after release and calculating how many reviews it would take to fall from 95 and freaking out when it did. I'm not sure this is a Nintendo only thing lol

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Great reviews; I love this game, but a bit dissapointed in only 4 hrs for Bowsers Fury. No problem for new players, but I played A LOT of this game on my WiiU so this is an expensive double dip for 4 hours of content.

Guess I will just wait till it goes on sale. HAHAH! HAHAHAHAH!

:(

Still, if you like 3D Mario games, this is a great one IMO.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Getting mad over review scores is dumb, but lol at the 7.

Glad everyone else seems to be enjoying it, looking forward to it!

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Let's not get dubious here, that is the case with every big fandom and not specific to Nintendo.

Is it? Game Informer had to issue an explanation after TTYD. Fans were calling for Gerstmann to be fired in 2006. People tried to fucking DDOS Jim Sterling's site after BOTW and he basically quit doing reviews afterwards.

There's weirdos in every fandom, but Nintendo fans take it to an entirely different level with how fiercely loyal and combative they are. And I consider myself a huge fan of the company.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes it's really a matter of attention seeking, sorry to say that, but a review should not be 100% subjectives on some matters. I read the review and I don't know if everyone that quoted me did the same.

lmao.

I read the review and watched the video review. I like 3D World more than the reviewer does but the complaints made sense. So yeah...

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
7 out 10 is BS and I'm not even a diehard Mario fan

This is hella different from Zelda's 8.8 but that won't stop some people for mindlessly saying that this is a similar situation, and that a good review is just a good review.

From a purely logical stand point it doesn't make sense.

Why is it BS?

The game is 8 years old. Standards change over time. Reviewers change over time. Maybe the person just didn't dig it.

3D World is a known entity. All the information in the world is available for people to augment their decisions.

Some of yall, I swear.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's really a matter of attention seeking, sorry to say that, but a review should not be 100% subjectives on some matters. I read the review and I don't know if everyone that quoted me did the same.

No-one reviews games to seek attention with different scores, especially a site like IGN. It's almost like different people have different opinions.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
ERA had people tracking the TLOUII score weeks after release and calculating how many reviews it would take to fall from 95 and freaking out when it did. I'm not sure this is a Nintendo only thing lol

I would say that Naughty Dog and Kojima are probably the only two that came close, yes. But still, they didn't DDOS THE WEBSITES OF THE OUTLETS THAT LOWERED THE METASCORES.

Feb 15, 2019
Eh, SM3DW was very easy until pretty much few final bonus levels as far as I remember. Then you get hit with the final final level and it's absolutely devilish and possibly the best level in any 3D Mario game. But getting there is a slog through a ton of easy content.

Some of them definitely are later on. Most of them are more about exploring the levels and the challenge is more about finding them than it is a hard challenge to get them. And you do occasionally need a specific power up, but it's always one they give you in that level.

I would say it is about Galaxy level in terms of difficulty if you've played that. Although game structure is quite different.

I see, thanks for the answers. I'll probably still pick it up because it does look fun. Maybe not at launch but I guess it's not gonna go on sale for a long time anyway so I guess I might as well buy it on launch even though 60 Euro (I guess actually 47 Euro because of the vouchers so quite a bit better) is still a tough pill to swallow. A bit sad about the difficulty but I'll live. The wait for a new Donkey Kong Country continues and I'll probably be waiting for a long time still because of Retro working on Metroid now.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A review is by nature subjective, calling any review you disagree with attention seeking is bananas dude

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone found this image without the Nintendo logo? I'd like to use it as a wallpaper. It's gorgeous. But I can't find a logo-less file anywhere.

x1080

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's going to be reviews looking through the lens of Bowser's Fury being the only NEW thing in a $60 port of a 7 year old game and focusing on that. I think that's a fair view.

Anyone who hasn't played 3D World before should add two to any review below a 9 lol

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Is it? Game Informer had to issue an explanation after TTYD. Fans were calling for Gerstmann to be fired in 2006. People tried to fucking DDOS Jim Sterling's site after BOTW and he basically quit doing reviews afterwards.

There's weirdos in every fandom, but Nintendo fans take it to an entirely different level with how fiercely loyal and combative they are. And I consider myself a huge fan of the company.

Jim Sterling is a special case as he got DDOS'd for other reviews before that had nothing to do with Nintendo. It's rather that he has a hatebase that DDOS' him when he posts controversial reviews.

A few other outlets gave BotW a relatively low score and they didn't get DDOS'd.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Read my response to your original post. This being a full priced re-release 7+ years later has no bearing on the game's score. It scored a 7 because the reviewer has fundamental issues with 3D World's design, which even bleeds over to his views on Bowser's Fury. Read the review.
Just because it wasn't explicitly mentioned doesn't mean that pricing didn't play any factor in the reviewer's impressions. People are typically more lenient with their criticism if something is seen as being a particularly good value. The various expressions of disappointment about how the game was not changed from the original read to me as clear implicit criticism on the value of the game.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Are people seriously doing the "IGN has a clickbait agenda" thing when they gave a re-release of a Wii U game a 7/10?

And those youtube downvotes. Peak gamer fragility.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
This is a game where I don't have to pay attention to the reviews but I'd be left disappointed if I went into this believing the 10/10 ones.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
The WiiU port scam continues.

I'll buy Bowsers Fury separately but not this collection.

I mean, I don't think its a scam. I adore this game on WiiU, but out of 13 million WiiU sold, 5 million people played this game. That means there are like 65 million switch owners who never played this title, and its terrific. The expansion isn't good enough for me to buy it again, but hey I still have my WiiU hooked up. There's a lot of people that this is brand new for.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3D World was one of the absolute best games on the Wii U and just a really solid platformer through and through. I'm happy to have the chance to play it again, especially with the improvements and added content.

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
There is always this one review that riles everyone up. It happens every time.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that Naughty Dog and Kojima are probably the only two that came close, yes. But still, they didn't DDOS THE WEBSITES OF THE OUTLETS THAT LOWERED THE METASCORES.
They also didn't threaten the lives of the actors involved in one of their biggest games in the same way certain PlayStation fans did towards the cast of TLoU2. You're going down a dumb road here by painting the Nintendo community as somehow worse than the others. This hobby is full of toxicity and it's not exclusive to one fandom.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Excellent scores and reviews. Bowsers fury seems to be a very nice piece of new content.

Also when a game has like 92 metacritic, freaking out over a 7/10(for which some of the reviewers complaints have validity) is nuts. 7 is a good score, just leave it lmao

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
Quote me also with totally free insults to my person, but a review like that is saying that in this moment there are products in the market much better than the product analysed in that review in the 3D platform category. How does that review support in providing an evaluation of a product also considering the market?

The final score in all review means nothing in the end if not an indication of the quality of a product. I highly prefer reviews with no scores for that reason, considering the score as a distraction.

And please note that I definitly like more other Mario installment and I don't like the general "3D world formula". Shall I review it I would be far from the probable Metacritic outcome. But 7 is just a wrong message for that product in a industry in which all scores are very inflated (8/9/10 given so easily).

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The only thing stopping me from picking this up is that I already own the Wii U version (digital copy) and I don't feel that it fully warrants the full price...

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Metacritic (90)
OpenCritic (89)

Ars Technica (no score):

Eurogamer (recommended):

Kotaku (no score):

Polygon (no score):

The Verge (no score):

Console Creatures (recommended):

God is a Geek (10/10):

Nintendo Life (10/10):

The Sydney Morning Herald (10/10):

VGC (5/5):

Vooks (5/5):

Destructoid (10/10):

VG247 (5/5):

GamesBeat (5/5):

Digitally Downloaded (5/5):

PowerUp! (9.8/10):

Atomix (98/100, review in Spanish):

Areajugones (9.5/10, review in Spanish):

Nintendo Blast (9.5/10, review in Portuguese):

SpazioGames (9.3/10, review in Italian):

Hobby Consolas (93/100, review in Spanish):

Game Informer (9.25/10):

Video Chums (9.2/10):

Multiplayer.it (9.1/10, review in Italian):

Wccftech (9.1/10):

GameSpot (9/10):

My Nintendo News (9/10):

IGN Italia (9/10, review in Italian):

Metro GameCentral (9/10):

Screen Rant (4.5/5):

Stevivor (9/10):

Twinfinite (4.5/5):

Critical Hit (9/10):

Switch Player (4.5/5):

GameMAG (9/10, review in Russian):

Nintendo World Report (9/10):

Gamer.nl (9/10, review in Dutch):

PCMag (4.5/5):

TheGamer (4.5/5):

The Digital Fix (9/10):

TheSixthAxis (9/10):

Eurogamer Italy (9/10, review in Italian):

GamePro Germany (90%):

GamesRadar (4.5/5):

Nintenderos (9/10, review in Spanish):

GAMINGbible (9/10):

Press Start Australia (9/10):

Trusted Reviews (4.5/5):

GameSpew (9/10):

Jeuxvideo.com (18/20, review in French):

Millenium (90/100, review in French):

Gameblog.fr (9/10, review in French):

Everyeye.it (8.8/10, review in Italian):

AusGamers (8.6/10):

Power Unlimited (85/100):

Telegraph (4/5):

Cubed3 (8/10):

COGconnected (80/100):

EGM (4/5):

Daily Mirror (4/5):

Enternity.gr (8/10, review in Greek):

CGMagazine (7/10):

IGN (7/10):
Good Ol IGN providing Outlier Reviews for clicks

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
As an esteemed WiiU owner I do wish I could purchase Bowser's Fury as a separate $20 download or something. The changes to SM3DW seem almost nonexistent and the bump in resolution doesn't mean as much for a game with an art-style like this IMO.

Jun 17, 2018
I've never played 3D World before and I believe my copy is arriving tomorrow. Coincidentally I also have tomorrow and Friday off work so I'm going to chill on my couch and play what looks like one of the happiest games ever. Cannot wait!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent scores and reviews. Bowsers fury seems to be a very nice piece of new content.

Also when a game has like 92 metacritic, freaking out over a 7/10(for which some of the reviewers complaints have validity) is nuts. 7 is a good score, just leave it lmao
No one is really freaking out about the score though. People commented on it because it's an outlier score for a certified classic - then people commented on the people that commented to tell them to chill down ...even though they were calm for the most part lol. That's just the way it goes in some of these reviews threads, where the reaction to reactions often is stronger than the initial reaction. Xzbit would be proud.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because it wasn't explicitly mentioned doesn't mean that pricing didn't play any factor in the reviewer's impressions. People are typically more lenient with their criticism if something is seen as being a particularly good value. The various expressions of disappointment about how the game was not changed from the original read to me as clear implicit criticism on the value of the game.
Sounds like you're reading something that isn't there. He criticizes s lack of meaningful gameplay changes because he had issues with the game mechanically at its foundation. If the score of 7 was actually based on value (which it isn't, as he explicitly states early on the game + Bowser's Fury is very much packed with content), he would say so.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly review scores as a concept are just kinda poisonous, there is a potentially interesting discussion to be had around how conventional standards change over the years and the nature of reviewing rereleases but some people see a number and their brains power down to the point where all they can think is "7 bad"

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
They also didn't threaten the lives of the actors involved in one of their biggest games in the same way certain PlayStation fans did towards the cast of TLoU2. You're going down a dumb road here by painting the Nintendo community as somehow worse than the others. This hobby is full of toxicity and it's it exclusive to one fandom.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that what certain Sony fans did was better, it was far worse. Threatening the lives of developers and actors is absolutely uncalled for, and fuck the incel assholes that did so. But there really isn't an equivalence here, just fandoms being idiots for different reasons.