• Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 475 22.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Please help.

I never understood how to make Isle Defino brighter. When you start the game it's super cloudy and dark, and there's like an arbitrary moment when it clears up. Or has it been slowly clearing up over time with the more Shines I've acquired? Does it progressively get sunnier and brighter as you get closer to 120?

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Gusty Guardian has a nice Arabian Night theme to it but the crescendo of Good Egg Galaxy sounds better than Gusty Garden to me.

But I think Buoy Buoy Base is still the best song in Galaxy one.

Fun trivia. One of the composer in Steven Universe actually made a piano cover of the song on Youtube before she worked on the show.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Well it's nice to know I wasn't misremembering how profoundly awful the plinko game in Sunshine is. It's like Sonic Team got to make a level for some kind of Make-a-Wish request.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Please help.

I never understood how to make Isle Defino brighter. When you start the game it's super cloudy and dark, and there's like an arbitrary moment when it clears up. Or has it been slowly clearing up over time with the more Shines I've acquired? Does it progressively get sunnier and brighter as you get closer to 120?

Yes. I think once you get Noki Noki bay unlock it gets pretty bright.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's nice to know I wasn't misremembering how profoundly awful the plinko game in Sunshine is. It's like Sonic Team got to make a level for some kind of Make-a-Wish request.
Watching Arin's meltdown over it on Game Grumps years ago reminded me of that level after I had forgotten about it for years.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
man Mario sunshine is still so much fun, I love this game so much
Yeah, in hindsight Sunshine is a pretty incredible game. It has aged beautifully in most respects. Some design elements are a tad too challenging or clever for their own good, but overall it's just a joy pure and simple to exist in that world.
One of the extremely minor but cool things in Sunshine is being able to see levels from within other levels. I always thought that was cool back in the day. It's certainly the most environmentally cohesive 3D Mario.
Delfino Plaza is one of the most fun Mario playgrounds ever. If you ever feel like playing Mario but don't feel like playing any Mario level in particular, you boot up Sunshine and bounce around Delfino Plaza - kicking up walls, scampering across rooftops, springing and swinging on tightropes, etc. The plaza is the core of Sunshine and I adore it.
81 shines in sunshine today (completely finished all levels except for pianta village, with secret shines and 100 coin shines). i need a break! be back tomorrow, mario.
You are all amazing. I just finished the main story and loved ever second. Now I'm going for 120/blue coin hunt. I love that the hub world gets brighter and sunnier as you progress through the game.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
A lot of the bonus stages have super wonky physics and moments where FLUDD just doesn't work for some reason.

I'm having a blast with the game regardless, but I really hope someday Nintendo gets Grezzo or someone else to either remake or "finish" the game. At minimum, add a blue coin counter or hint system, fix the bad physics, maybe even add some upgrades to FLUDD's water capacity. Let you have all nozzles at all times. If it's a full remake, throw in some of the removed missions and levels. There's a fantastic game in Sunshine, but its rushed nature made it just good. A Wind Waker HD style remake could do wonders.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Going against the current tide, but SM64 is so fun. Yes, I can see how the controls and camera were refined over the many subsequent games, but SM64 is not those games. It was designed around these controls and everything works as expected when you aren't expecting decades of refinement. I refuse to compare or rank the Mario games. They have their unique identities and I'm quite happy to judge each of them for what they are. For what SM64 set out to do, it does it very well. Yep the camera works against you sometimes, oh well. If I die because the camera fucks up, at least I can blame the game and not myself. I genuinely enjoy controlling Mario. I find the levels are designed with his movement in mind, corners take into account his turn radius for example. I can even see the designers put in certain elevators to allow you time to adjust the camera so that when you reach the top, you should be good to go. It's a game that has a bunch of technological limitations placed on it because of when it was made, but the designers put plenty of thought into making it work. So many mechanics they had to discover and make fun.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
More of many more musings to come

Mario's movement in galaxy sometimes gets a bad rap, its interesting because it's definitely slower and you notice it more when in sections that involve jumping between multiple planetoids with their own gravitational pull or when you start a triple jump at the slowest possible speed leading to a lethargic finale. Otherwise though its actually impressive to me how well Mario's movement adapts to the game, even when running around upside down with the camera in a relativelty fixed spot, Mario always feels completely in control.
And as Galaxy starts opening up more platforming intensive segments like the sweet sweet galaxy, I'm really noting how tight Mario's control is and thinking that while I also love what 64 allows, the sheer idea of imagining having 64 Mario jumping for a segment like rocky road is almost terrifying as I imagine the extra step mario takes per jump plunging him down into the black holes of doom.
In any case, there's basically no points where I'm thinking that Mario needs to hurry up because the game spaces its environments nigh on perfectly to his own pace.

Sunshine handed me my first game over via the horror of pachinko, it's impressively more jank than in my memories, Mario's movement does whatever the heck it wants here with seemingly little consistency, the device is a mario torture chamber where even succesful coin nabbing can and will break his legs, I recall back on the GC version actually almost dying here by fall damage accumulation as I failed to get the last coin and then land in the shine sprite slot.
I legit don't know how Nintendo let this in the game looking back, surely they knew, surely they could've whipped up anything else!

On a brighter note, an aspect I loved about sunshine when I was younger was the idea of unfolding stories, interacting with NPCs across the various stages of Delfino Plaza progress for instance, you've got these two sailor looking piantas constantly giving each other shit at various points throughout the game, by the end I think they get chummy, it's a neat touch.
Stepping into Gelato Beach and the gradual unfolding of the sand bird subplot, watching how NPCs actions match their dialogue in that previously calm characters start running around panicked, as I said earlier, no other Mario game approaches this kind of world building, it's pretty novel.
Alas I'm reminded how ARSE the swimming in Sunshine is, how did the game with the most water get the worst swimming segments?
Gelato Beach is also surprisingly small and compact, in turn this reminds me just how few worlds Sunshine is packing compared to 64 and Galaxy.
Of course you have to note how Galaxy mostly takes place in a void with linear progress across isolated areas with only a few areas like Beach Bowl, Sea Slide and such having that kind of classic design.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I finally tried Mario Galaxy... And I just can't get into it :/

The camera and perspectives and controls give me a headache. On the bright side it made me appreciate Odyssey more.

superpickleman

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I played Mario 64 to death as a kid so I haven't touched it in ages. Last time I ran through it was on the DS version after it launched.

I just finished Lil' Penguin Lost and I've have the dumbest smile on my face going through the game again. Nostalgia overload.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
What's wrong with the sliding and flying in SM64? For sliding, up to go faster, down to go slower. They tell you this at certain points and it helps control speed. Flying, they also tell you. Up to dive down, down to fly up. Only problem is you're always descending, so holding down is a clumsy, but only way to maintain altitude, but you're slow because of that.

On the topic of Super Mario 64, I just beat the game. I ended up getting 100 loves. I had no idea it was feasible to do that, but I also haven't quit the game since. I finished with 71 Stars and I'm going back to get them all. Only Star that gave me the hardest time so far was the 100 coins in Dire, Dire Docks. Dang pop-in!

Oh and also, I had no idea SM64 had music that changes depending on the region of the stage you're on! This was mentioned in the soundtrack screen I think and it amazed me. So many hours put in this game as a kid and I never realized it.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Holy Shit, you can actually enter the Pachinko level in Sunshine with the hover noozle? As a kid I always got into it with the Rocket noozle which made it even more of a pain to get through it afterwards. This is a game changer now...I mean, I still got my first Game Over during it now and will probably finish it as one of my last Shines in the game, but still.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Please help.

When you first get to Delphino, there's a ring centered around the shine gate where everything is brighter. This ring gets pushed out/bigger every time you get a shine - but the sky stays dark no matter where you are. At a specific number - IIRC it's 60 - it's suddenly fully lit, the sky is bright, and there's no more ring because everything is sunny. There's no discernable difference from that point to 120.

Sometimes I like to see how big I can make the bright area before I open up Bianco Hills. Between the shines available in the Plaza and climbing into Pianta Village with a well timed triple jump and hover, you can do quite a bit lol.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with the sliding and flying in SM64? For sliding, up to go faster, down to go slower. They tell you this at certain points and it helps control speed. Flying, they also tell you. Up to dive down, down to fly up. Only problem is you're always descending, so holding down is a clumsy, but only way to maintain altitude, but you're slow because of that.
The idea is that you actually never have the ability to constantly ascend, in a sense the winged cap is like a really fancy glide, it's not flying it's falling with style etc
You dip to gain speed which you can the use to gain some height back but at a reasonable pace, lots of wave like movement to keep momentum so you don't just stall out.
This is why cannons are an important part of using the winged cap, they blast you with an immediate surge of speed allowing a period of more fluid flight like motion.

Stars like getting the red coins in the red switch palace or over the rainbow area (probably one of the hardest stars in the game, especially with the punishing boot back to castle exterior if you fall into the abyss) really push this idea, that the winged cap isn't pure flight like that rarely seen red star from mario galaxy, its something that involves a fair bit of planning.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally tried Mario Galaxy... And I just can't get into it :/

The camera and perspectives and controls give me a headache. On the bright side it made me appreciate Odyssey more.
giphy.gif

You get used to it.

It's bizarre at first.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thought I'd just race through Super Mario 64 but I'm pleasantly surprised with how much I don't remember. Some stars giving me trouble. Which is great!

Aug 6, 2020
some dumb city
This may be an unpopular opinion but my god I wish Nintendo did something to help ease playing Galaxy in handheld.

They could have expanded the radius mario draws in star bits, or even let us hold R and move the star via one of the sticks or something. Not a fan of having to keep tapping when I want to collect or aim at anything.

It's a small gripe, but man with how pervasive it is, it kind of turns me off of playing it unless it's in docked mode.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Ok sunshine is an incredible game but this Yoshi level at rico harbor is trash. so far i haven't had any problem with any of the secret levels or any of the other levels that are often cited as diffcult or bad levels. but i have fallen into the water like 6 times already on this one. still only have died like 5 times on this game 50 stars in.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Man, some parts of SM64 are kicking my ass. What are the hardest stars in the game? It took me like a dozen tries to get the one in the volcano where you ride the elevators up. I just can't line up the pole-to-pole jumps

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The idea is that you actually never have the ability to constantly ascend, in a sense the winged cap is like a really fancy glide, it's not flying it's falling with style etc
You dip to gain speed which you can the use to gain some height back but at a reasonable pace, lots of wave like movement to keep momentum so you don't just stall out.
This is why cannons are an important part of using the winged cap, they blast you with an immediate surge of speed allowing a period of more fluid flight like motion.

Stars like getting the red coins in the red switch palace or over the rainbow area (probably one of the hardest stars in the game, especially with the punishing boot back to castle exterior if you fall into the abyss) really push this idea, that the winged cap isn't pure flight like that rarely seen red star from mario galaxy, its something that involves a fair bit of planning.
Yeah, that's a good way to put it. The speed from a triple jump or cannon can be hard to control at times. Sometimes with a really swift triple jump, you'll dive down really fast and it's alarming. And for cannons, once the glide kicks in, the controls are really delicate. Yeah, that over the rainbow star was definitely tough and required careful planning.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Man, some parts of SM64 are kicking my ass. What are the hardest stars in the game? It took me like a dozen tries to get the one in the volcano where you ride the elevators up. I just can't line up the pole-to-pole jumps
Interestingly, when I think about this, there's little classic platforming involved

Wing Mario Over the Rainbow
Rainbow Ride 100 coins
Dire Dire Docks 100 coins (more a case of tedious, barely enough coins and some notable ones placed by an area that sucks you out the level)
Blast to the lonely mushroom (easy to retry but a pretty life devouring trial and error run, though you can always throw yourself off tall tall mountain instead for funsies)
Tick Tock Clock in general can be a choose your own difficulty level depending on clock speed that turns simple tasks into manic nonsense

As for a star that isn't exactly tricky but I just kinda dislike it, elevate for eight red coins in hazy maze cave

I can't even remember how to kill King Bob-omb. Games have become way too easy.
Child me never understood why throwing him off the dang mountain did nothing, but throwing him in a way equivalent to if he'd slipped on his backside was the way.
Actually adult me still doesn't understand, what the shit Nintendo?!

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I am up to 92 shines and everything has been smooth and I've done the infamous levels pretty easily.

Except the damn Chuckster. Took me like 10 tries. They really couldn't have fixed this one? Lol

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's fun seeing these negative opinions of Mario 64. To me this is the perfect 3D game. Maybe it's because I'm old do it was a revolution at the time and its nostalgia clouding me. Control is amazing, level design was top notch for the time and hasn't aged in my mind, and the difficulty ramp up is exactly what you want.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The only hub I've ever truly enjoyed
It's true. One of my two gripes with odyssey was that there was no real hub. That control would be so amazing with a hub world. The other was that so many moons were just "pound this spot and get a Moon", but I suppose that's as a design choice akin the korok seeds (so many available to make the unlocks basically impossible to miss). Sunshine having an expansive hub was awesome and trying to use the different moves was so much fun.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's true. One of my two gripes with odyssey was that there was no real hub. That control would be so amazing with a hub world. The other was that so many moons were just "pound this spot and get a Moon", but I suppose that's as a design choice akin the korok seeds (so many available to make the unlocks basically impossible to miss). Sunshine having an expansive hub was awesome and trying to use the different moves was so much fun.
I get why they didn't do it for Odyssey, it was kind of a "travel the world game" but yeah, a hub is one of the few things 64 and Sunshine have over Odyssey

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I get why they didn't do it for Odyssey, it was kind of a "travel the world game" but yeah, a hub is one of the few things 64 and Sunshine have over Odyssey
Yeah. It makes sense from the story perspective. It's just that the fluid nature of Mario's movement and crappy adding another level of platforming would be so amazing with a central area. Could be some cool ways to add moons/level entrances with the move set. Hopefully odyssey 2 or the sequel adds that.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My muscle memory is making using FLUDD all kinds of fucked up. His controls in aiming mode were inverted in the original, right? Now they're standard. It is messing with me on levels I could never have imagined.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
SMG1 is odd because even when you reach the late game and its showing more of its platforming hand, you still have these segments like deep dark galaxy being all "hey motherfucker, you may have 50 plus stars but can you possibly SWIM THROUGH THESE RINGS?!"

SMG2 feels like a game that starts its challenge level at least around mid-late Galaxy 1 and really decreases a number of Galaxy's recurring tropes like "collect the 5 star pieces!", "chase the rabbits!", "light the sconces!", "wooo its space and gravity", it just starts rocking in with obstacle course design on the regular and that's why I love it.
I always thought it was interesting how the first time Galaxy 2 even uses pull stars is like, the fortress level at the end of World 2. And it calls attention to this by prompting an on-screen tutorial for them, as you literally never would have encountered them before.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I'm dumb, how do you get "Mario Wings in the Sky" star on the first level? I'm trying to get the 100 coin star but you need the wing cap for it. I'm using the cannon on the island, buying my trajectory seems to be off for getting the 5 coins needed for the secret level.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that makes me excited for Galaxy 2. One thing I will give the game is that the boss fights have all been pretty good so far. No recycled Koopalings or "run past Bowser and hit the button" crap here.

Oh yeah I can see the control differences being a big deal, I definitely think the new controls work well for Galaxy
Yeah Galaxy 1 and 2 had by far the best boss fights in the series up until Odyssey, which is pretty on par with them. This is because like each one uses different mechanics that keeps them fresh and interesting. 3D Worlds is sadly pretty much all "jump on them." Galaxy will start reusing them later in the game, but overall I'm pretty sure there's like 14-15 unique bosses? Which is pretty great. And in a couple cases the reuse is pretty much a new fight. A far cry from 3D World's number of unique bosses (probably like 7) and 3D World pales in comparison

Sunshine has some cool concept ones too but like everything else in the game, they can be weird and unpolished

Last edited:

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
I'm dumb, how do you get "Mario Wings in the Sky" star on the first level? I'm trying to get the 100 coin star but you need the wing cap for it. I'm using the cannon on the island, buying my trajectory seems to be off for getting the 5 coins needed for the secret level.

You need to unlock the wingcap first. Get 10 stars and look up into the light inside the main room of the castle

First time playing Mario 64? Crazy enjoy it's a great game still to this day.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You ought to unlock the wing cap to get that star.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
You need to unlock the wingcap first. Get 10 stars and look up into the light inside the main room of the castle

First time playing Mario 64? Crazy enjoy it's a great game still to this day.
You ought to unlock the wing cap to get that star.
Hahahaha, goddammit it's been way too long, thanks. I thought there was something else I needed to do, but I completely blanked on what that was.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Galaxy 1 and 2 had by far the best boss fights in the series up until Odyssey, which is pretty on par with them. This is because like each one uses different mechanics that keeps them fresh and interesting. 3D Worlds is sadly pretty much all "jump on them." Galaxy will start reusing them later in the game, but overall I'm pretty sure there's like 14-15 unique bosses? Which is pretty great. And in a couple cases the reuse is pretty much a new fight. A far cry from 3D World's number of unique bosses (probably like 7) and 3D World pales in comparison

Sunshine has some cool concept ones too but like everything else in the game, they can be weird and unpolished
That's pretty good! I think the levels are better in 3D Land and 3D World, at least so far, but the bosses are an improvement in Galaxy for sure. Sunshine had interesting bosses too yeah.