• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
OP Druidstone is like 5 bucks on Steam right now. I haven't played it but if you are interested you should probably grab it for that price.

Also Disco Elysium is getting a big update in spring so if you do get it hold off on your playthrough until the update.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think you can't go wrong with any of these games. They all seem at least good.
I personally recommend Xanadu Next. It's a great, rather short Japanese action-RPG. It seems to never go under 50% but totally worth the asking price:

Tyranny is also an overlooked gem with deep roleplay mechanics and decision-making in a rather unique setting. It was free on the Epic Store, but it's only 9,99 in the complete edition anyway right now. Totally worth it:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I would recommend Star Wars KOTOR as well, it's still a fantastic Star Wars story and is one of my fav games - what kind of RPGs have you already played and liked OP? It would be easier to advise based on that.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Get Tyranny, Underrail, Disco Elysium and Wasteland 3. Especially Wasteland 3 is an unexpectedly good RPG and one of the few games with fast-paced turn-based combat! Feels great, looks decent enough, has good voice acting and lots of viable skills (checks) and different options for solving problems (and combat). Don't expect something too grounded, but more like Fallout.

Disco Elysium is perfect if you want to decelerate since there's no combat, but the role playing is very good and the texts are a very good read.

Underrail has a lot of good ideas but is hold back a little by its budget. Some better animations and a bit more refined combat and it would be great. Still a good RPG.

Tyranny is a slightly different take because you don't play the hero that helps humanity. Lots of role playing options but also action-focused.

I'd add Pillars of Eternity 2 to your list.

Also Gothic 1 and 2 (with add-on) if you can stomach outdated controls and visuals (though the graphics were amazing back then). Up to this day it is one of the best open world interpretation and execution you'll find and many AAA games could learn from it. The story of part one is actually excellent and has an interesting twist you won't see often in video game stories. Gothic 2 is default fantasy story-wise but improved in every other aspect over Gothic 1.

there's also a DX11 and texture mods that add soft shadows, ambient occlusion and high Res textures to the game, making it look a good chunk of years younger.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
FF7 Remake is my GOTY personally.

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana is incredible as well. Perfect game to shut off your brain with a combination of amazing music and battle systems.

Dragon Quest 11 S Is a special game for sure as well.

Persona 5 Royal is arguably the game of the generation.

Fire Emblem 3 Houses has so many hours and routes to play.

Above is my top 5 JRPGS this gen.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Pillars of eternity was on sale for console for $10, not sure if it still is or if its on sale on steam. I'm playing through now, if you love Baldurs gate then you're gonna love PoE.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Pillars of Eternity 2 is excellent. You can read up / watch scary of the first game and start with 2. Personally I found the first one a tad dull.

Divinity OS2 is amazing of course.

Yakuza 0, Judgement Eyes and Yakuza 7 are great ones to try as well and gets you into one of the best series in gaming. Considering so many other RPGs on the list I would hold off on Y7, but 0 is super amazing.

Pathfinder is awesome, but I would play on PC and mod the kingdom management out (make it basically super easy).

DQXIs - amazing JRPG. Enough said.
P4G is cheap and a great, great game. I found the characters and the story itself more engaging vs 5/5R. However, it's not like 5/5R are bad.

Previously mentioned Troubleshooter is one of best SRPGs I ever played. Seriously great game.

Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ is dirt cheap and a pretty awesome game from Falcon. Think Trails of Cold Steel but more Persona :P. I really liked this game.

Speaking of Trails. Trails in the Sky Trilogy is amazing. Trails of Cold Steel is very good. First games in each are not expensive at all.

Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum is very good and especially the expansion is amazing. However even the base game is pretty good, has a lot of mods and the package is cheap.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Pillars of Eternity 2 is excellent. You can read up / watch scary of the first game and start with 2. Personally I found the first one a tad dull.

Divinity OS2 is amazing of course.

Yakuza 0, Judgement Eyes and Yakuza 7 are great ones to try as well and gets you into one of the best series in gaming. Considering so many other RPGs on the list I would hold off on Y7, but 0 is super amazing.

Pathfinder is awesome, but I would play on PC and mod the kingdom management out (make it basically super easy).

DQXIs - amazing JRPG. Enough said.
P4G is cheap and a great, great game. I found the characters and the story itself more engaging vs 5/5R. However, it's not like 5/5R are bad.

Previously mentioned Troubleshooter is one of best SRPGs I ever played. Seriously great game.

Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ is dirt cheap and a pretty awesome game from Falcon. Think Trails of Cold Steel but more Persona :P. I really liked this game.

Speaking of Trails. Trails in the Sky Trilogy is amazing. Trails of Cold Steel is very good. First games in each are not expensive at all.

Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum is very good and especially the expansion is amazing. However even the base game is pretty good, has a lot of mods and the package is cheap.
I really like the look of Tokyo Xanadu, but the lack of a dub just always puts me off.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I really like the look of Tokyo Xanadu, but the lack of a dub just always puts me off.
I have played enough games with or without a dub that it truly doesn't matter at this point. Plus much like a Yakuza games, it adds a bit to the atmosphere since you are running around Tokyo :P.

It's like $10 and well worth the asking price and more.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
CrossCode and Yakuza 7 are kind of opposites as a throwback 16 bit style JRPG and a modern AA/AAA JRPG, but both are exceptional.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Forgot to add, Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong are amazing games and are dirt cheap. They have a great setting, great writing and very serviceable SRPG Lite combat.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Trials of Mana

trials-of-mana-switch-hero.jpg

An action RPG that's a remake of a once Japanese-only SNES game that is just simple, clean fun.
I wish I could get past the atrocious character design in the game. I've played three hours of the demo now, and the gameplay itself is actually really fun, but I reeeeeeeeeeaally don't vibe with any of the character designs and the VA is pretty grating, maybe if it was on sale for $20 rather than $50 (AUD$)...

To the thread topic:
Dragon Quest XI S
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (they're all good, explorers more so than the rest)
Octopath Traveller
Tangledeep

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Assuming they meant Strategy RPG, which it is. Kind of like XCOM/Wasteland 3 as far as the combat goes. These kinds of games seem to be called "tactical RPGs" anymore, but I don't really see the distinction except for the size of the confrontations and total units. Something like Shining Force generally had a lot more units per side.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Assuming they meant Strategy RPG, which it is. Kind of like XCOM/Wasteland 3 as far as the combat goes. These kinds of games seem to be called "tactical RPGs" anymore, but I don't really see the distinction except for the size of the confrontations and total units. Something like Shining Force generally had a lot more units per side.
Yep, think FFT and Fire Emblem. It's not quite as complex as Xcom, but Wastelams is a fairly good take.

The reason that it's "Lite" is that it's not quite as extensive in it's combat layer, but it's quite enjoyable.

These two games are very well done, don't stay last their welcome (20-40 hours depending on how you go about it), and are very cheap. It's seriously a no brainer to get both.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Got myself:

Wasteland 3

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions

Tyranny

ATOM RPG

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Got myself ELEX to play around, performance on ps5 seems to be flawless.
Also have wasteland 3 from gamepass on series X, but heard a lot about bugs and corrupted saves and I'm hesitant...

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Got myself:

Wasteland 3

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions

Tyranny

ATOM RPG
Atom RPG is quite good in that old school Fallout way. And they have a standalone expansion in the way which kind of turned into basically about same in size as the original it looks like.

I really recommend this alongside Troubleshooter and Fell Seal for that indie RPG goodness.

Don't miss Shadowrun though.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Atom RPG is quite good in that old school Fallout way. And they have a standalone expansion in the way which kind of turned into basically about same in size as the original it looks like.

I really recommend this alongside Troubleshooter and Fell Seal for that indie RPG goodness.

Don't miss Shadowrun though.
There's only so much money I'm willing to spend. I think I'm done for now. Maybe one more and that's it, though Troubleshooter looks great, certainly.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Persona 5.

I didn't pay much attention to it because I didn't think it would be my thing. Getting it free on the PS+ collection got me to try it. I just finished it and it might just be not only the best JRPG I've ever played but the best RPG period.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
You have Arelite Core on your list?!??
Another human has typed that out meaning you have heard of it lol?!?

I love RPGmaker games and have way too many on Steam. If you want to fall down THAT rabbit hole I'd be glad to help! (Arelite is....good but janky)

Otherwise:
Baldurs Gate 1/2
KOTOR
Dragons Dogma

are my suggestions. All great RPGs

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend God Eater 3 if you're looking for another action RPG. Think a faster, flashier Monster Hunter with a greater emphasis on story (more character-driven in its case). Prices are currently below $20 on PS4, whether you go physical or digital.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I picked up Ys VIII on PS5 in the end, though haven't gotten around to starting it out yet.

Considering picking up AI The Somnium Files on PS5 as well, but I don't think that qualifies as an RPG. It looks to be more of a puzzle solving Visual Novel rather than anything with RPG/Combat mechanics.

CAMaera

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While a strictly turn-based RPG(with a very cool combat system to be fair), OMORI may have snuck in right at the end of 2020 and stole the spot of my favorite piece of media released this year.

If it interests you even a bit, you owe it to yourself to give it a look, giving more information than what is on the store page would be a disservice to the mystery and atmosphere it revels in.

Link to Steam Store Page

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Disco Elysium. With a caveat, you need to be okay with reading. It's script is over one million words. Great majority of your time is spent reading and picking dialogue. There's no combat, all violent conflicts are solved with dialogue and skill checks. If you're okay with this, buy Disco Elysium. If you're even compelled by this, what the hell are you still waiting for? It's the RPG I want game studios to take example from, big studios and small. No other game has pushed new ground in CRPG:s like it in quite some time I think. Also I'd say it handles political themes with great maturity and depth. While being one of the funniest games ever. Though fair warning to some, the game has bit of an edge to it. The writing is very confrontational. But it definitely works.

Edit: Though now thinking about it, Disco is getting extra content in the near future. Full voice acting too, so it could also be wise to wait for that before playing it for the first time. Buy it now and play it later. Or play it again when the update hits!
They are working on console versions, too, right? If so I'll for sure get it on Xbox! Super intrigued by it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
They are working on console versions, too, right? If so I'll for sure get it on Xbox! Super intrigued by it.
Yes! It will be the Final Cut version too, that brings new voice acting, new characters and new area with new quests. Unfortunately Xbox and Switch are releasing later in the summer as I understand. PS4, PS5 and Stadia versions release few months earlier.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Yes! It will be the Final Cut version too, that brings new voice acting, new characters and new area with new quests. Unfortunately Xbox and Switch are releasing later in the summer as I understand. PS4, PS5 and Stadia versions release few months earlier.
Awesome! I'm drowning in games anyway so waiting until then is fine by me haha. I might check out Wasteland 3 on XSX though in the meantime.