Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
c_oiqnfvyaavbsrkoroy.png

The Silver Case: 2425
The games that defined the identity of Grasshopper Manufacture, Suda51's studio, can be traced back to The Silver Case series. An integral part of the overarching 'Kill the Past' universe that most of his output belong.

Unfettered of any corporate meddling that he had to face during his time at Human Entertainment, Suda was faced with a complete freedom he never tasted before. With five people, the first game of Suda's newly founded studio was born on the PS1. Before Killer7, before No More Heroes, there was The Silver Case.

The result is an adventure game going to places it should not have been, treating themes it wasn't allowed to graze. And its direct sequel The 25th Ward dives even further into the garden of madness.

killthepastlrgncs3g.png

But Suda51 wasn't satisfied enough to tread new grounds, he needed to stay true to the theme of his new game that would inform most of the identity of Grasshopper as a punk, avant-garde studio. 'Kill the Past' was to become more than the beginning of a universe, it was the beginning of a philosophy.

And this is what Suda set out to do in the first five minutes of The Silver Case.

Enter Moonlight Syndrome, the final game that Suda made before his departure from Human. This spin-off from the Twilight Syndrome series was supposed to be his first truly branded game with his input. Moving away from the ghost stories of the original series (it terrified him), Moonlight Syndrome was focusing on psychological horror, on what evil truly meant. But then the Kobe Child Murders happened.

A 14-year-old Japanese boy committed two gruesome murders of children, beheading one of them and putting the head in front of the school gate, and killing the other with a steel pipe. This highly-publicized traumatizing event tightened the noose on what visual entertainment was able to show. And it ultimately put a stop to what Suda intended to make with Moonlight Syndrome, as disturbing as the original release ended up being.

But The Silver Case was different, and it needed to make a statement.

479sp8.gif
5ghssn.gif

65uskm.gif

The opening sequence of The Silver Case pits detective Tetsuguro Kusabi against Ryo Kazan, a protagonist of Moonlight Syndrome, holding the head of his sister Kyoko Kazan. Seeing he's completely lost it, Kusabi aims to end his rampage. You can guess what happens at the end of the chapter after a long chase.

766q7s.gif

Suda killed his own past
And thus Suda started a new chapter of his life as a designer. If Moonlight Syndrome was focusing on revealing the evil nested in humans, The Kobe Child Murders would go on to inspire him to focus on the origins of this evil. Where does it come from ? What pushes people to commit such crimes ? How can something like the beheading of a child by a teenager can happen ?

sqdfefsdkqsnw.png

- Source: Inverse
But this thinking becomes almost secondary to what The Silver Case has to offer. What makes the game shine is its ability to weave several storylines into an overarching one in the most suspenseful way possible. 2 different routes are immediately accessible that both complements each other in what they are trying to convey. Transmitter chapters, written by Suda, presents the broad strokes of his thinking on the origins of crime through the lens of the Heinous Crime Unit in this new universe he crafted. Meanwhile, Placebo chapters written by Masaki Ooka puts the focal point on the main narrative to ascertain their meaning by playing a journalist figuring out the truth. Two different styles that leaves no blind spot, only a slew of raw feelings.

What does it mean ? It means that Suda explores various topics that were uncommon to treat in the video game landscape. The internet becomes a huge part of the exploration of crime for Suda back in 1999. Abuse and harassment committed against people on the net. The birth of the only mean of communication of a young generation robbed of a voice. But also government control, corporation lobbyism, unlawful methods. All facets of Japanese society, struck while the iron is hot, even maybe too hot to be comfortable. But it was a genuine effort to speak to the player honestly about real issues, without the hand-holding and the talking down that usually comes with such attempts.

dfgdfgdrgsdfihoju.png

The Silver Case was also about shaking up the mostly static genre visually. The use of the Film Window engine puts dynamism with moving windows, dialogues and backdrops. The game becomes an exercise in style, with clear artistic intent in the way information is conveyed. It wasn't just about character portraits speaking, it was about the way it is communicated to you. The game also adds a twist in the art style it is brought to you: it can be its regular style, or it can be an anime style, or something else entirely. Each chapter is a surprise that uses what is needed to convey what is necessary.

It is in this in-between that The Silver Case is a successful thriller. Giving themselves the tools to experiment every aspect of the presentation while splitting the writing in a coherent way makes it so that Suda's moves becomes unpredictable. It is a detective game during the first minute, to morph into a horror game during the second, to finally settle as an RPG during the third. You are not promised answers, you are only promised an experience.

This is what good thrillers are made of.
dfjhghfsjghj6iu3u.png

As a fan of visual novels and adventure games, I can't remember the last time I managed to be this obsessed with what a video game is trying to tell me. Trying to observe and decipher every part of its narrative and the way it's constructed is an always-enriching experience for me. To see where the connections are, to be rewarded when I'm familiarizing myself with its universe, to scrutinize specific parts in order to connect the dots. It's just the kind of game that stays with you. It's the real fan-service, it's the one where you deliver something that the fans wants to pluck from. The ones where a fan can enjoy that a story decades in the making is unfolding as they grow as a person. To realize that it keeps being relevant to you as you age. It doesn't target you, it targets the world. And by doing so, it speaks about you.

The Silver Case series is where Suda is at its best. Dark, scary, humorous, it shifts its perspective as many time as it wants to. It's a series that makes you fulfilled, because it's one that keeps the player on their toes. As far as thriller goes in video games, I haven't seen one that gets any better than The Silver Case series.​

Bonus: a review from The SIlver Case's booklet.

fghjgfhertertg9bu33.png

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention that his work has been supported by some of the best composers to exist in the video game industry, with the extremely talented Masafumi Takada (recently known for his work on Danganronpa) as well as Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill) and Baiyon (PixelJunk Eden).

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really have an itch for weird games lately, should I grab this on PS4? It's a remake or sequel I believe. :p

JODOROWSKY51

Nov 19, 2017
London...
As a big Grasshopper fan... I'm so ashamed I haven't played these yet.

I was hoping they'd release The Silver Case on a handheld console, preferably the Switch, but alas... I might have to just buy a PS4!

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I've a serious question, does the game hold up well now? I might buy it. Also, what is the 25th Ward thing? A DLC of some sorts?

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
I've a serious question, does the game hold up well now? I might buy it. Also, what is the 25th Ward thing? A DLC of some sorts?

It does. I played The Silver Case (PS4 version) for the first time about two months ago and it holds up great, though I'd say the game is so strange that "aging" shouldn't really apply to it. It's never not going to be a weird, chilling experience. The control scheme is a little awkward to use at first, but you adjust quickly to it.

The 25th Ward is a sequel. Originally a mobile game, but it recently got remastered/ported to the PS4.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been interested in this since the remaster was first announced. I see that the physical version is $20, while the digital is $30? lol

Everything about this game looks awesome but as someone who has never played adventure games or visual novels I really don't know what to expect.

Is it overly obtuse? To the point where you're either bashing your head against a wall to brute force solutions, or just googling what to do? I've been hesitant to look up any videos of gameplay, seeing as it's entirely a narrative game

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I've been interested in this since the remaster was first announced. I see that the physical version is $20, while the digital is $30? lol

Everything about this game looks awesome but as someone who has never played adventure games or visual novels I really don't know what to expect.

Is it overly obtuse? To the point where you're either bashing your head against a wall to brute force solutions, or just googling what to do? I've been hesitant to look up any videos of gameplay, seeing as it's entirely a narrative game

There is 'The Silver Case' and the sequel was just released as a remake as 'The 25th Ward: The Silver Case' so that might be where the price discrepancy comes from ? The first Silver Case game should be 20$ digitally, while the second is 30$.

It's obtuse at times but the second route is there to explain what happened in the first in a more tangible and comprehensible way. Also the preferred way to play is to do one chapter of each route in succession, because they follow the same timeframe basically.

NegativeCero

Oct 28, 2017
I impulse bought the first one a while ago and completely forgot about it. I have been deep into AC Origins but I could add this to the play rotation.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
There is 'The Silver Case' and the sequel was just released as a remake as 'The 25th Ward: The Silver Case' so that might be where the price discrepancy comes from ? The first Silver Case game should be 20$ digitally, while the second is 30$.

It's obtuse at times but the second route is there to explain what happened in the first in a more tangible and comprehensible way. Also the preferred way to play is to do one chapter of each route in succession, because they follow the same timeframe basically.
US PSN currently has the original game listed for $29.99

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA07269_00-THESILVERCASEPS4

And I'm all for an obtuse story, I just meant progression itself. Like puzzles

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

The Silver Case is more of a visual novel than an adventure game. There is extremely little gameplay beyond walking from point A to point B. You will not get stuck.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I should get 25th Ward eventually. I really enjoyed the silver case, even though some of the parts with the journalist move at a glacial pace.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm playing it at the moment and it's one of the most intriguing and interesting games I've played in forever - I can't wait to see where it goes.

Seeing as we don't have an OT for the original I'll ask the question here instead: What are the recommendations for the Remaster settings in the TSC menus? Should I be playing with Original/Remix music/UI/etc.?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it at the moment and it's one of the most intriguing and interesting games I've played in forever - I can't wait to see where it goes.

Seeing as we don't have an OT for the original I'll ask the question here instead: What are the recommendations for the Remaster settings in the TSC menus? Should I be playing with Original/Remix music/UI/etc.?

100% go for music in original. The rest is preference but I'd keep HD for everything else without issue. Unless you really want the authentic japanese text speed and movement speed of the PS1 version.

Anyone cares to do some tltr? I love thriller games.

They aged well, it's Suda at its prime. They're clever games in what they're trying to achieve thematically and visually. Suda wants to go back to the universe he created in the future so it's a good time to get started if you like his games.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% go for music in original. The rest is preference but I'd keep HD for everything else without issue. Unless you really want the authentic japanese text speed and movement speed of the PS1 version.

They aged well, it's Suda at its prime. They're clever games in what they're trying to achieve thematically and visually. Suda wants to go back to the universe he created in the future so it's a good time to get started if you like his games.

What console is these games available on ?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I have the limited edition of the 25th ward off an old amazon price error, should I get the silver case first before playing it?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have the limited edition of the 25th ward off an old amazon price error, should I get the silver case first before playing it?

Definitely. The 25th Ward is a hard read without knowing what went before. I wouldn't say that it matters immensely though, the point of Suda games are more about the experience than understanding what's going on. You can understand without understanding if you catch my drift.

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK

Thought so for the music, but couldn't tell how different they actually were, and didn't know if they were really just rerecorded versions of the original. It's strange that there doesn't seem to be anywhere that's done side-by-side comparisons in image or video for the other settings.

Oct 25, 2017
An important information for those who want to experience TSC: when faced with any puzzles, you can click the magnifying glass icon to autosolve it. Unless the DLC patched it, the game doesn't warn you at all about this and there are unlimited uses. It took me a couple times to understand what it did lol

And I'll be getting 25th very, very soon. Can't wait to delve into the insanity again.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks a lot, never knew this game was released for ps4. Thanks for the heads up, suda51 would ve proud you just managed to sell one copy of this game! definitely adding it to my cart.

I hope you'll enjoy it !

Thought so for the music, but couldn't tell how different they actually were, and didn't know if they were really just rerecorded versions of the original. It's strange that there doesn't seem to be anywhere that's done side-by-side comparisons in image or video for the other settings.

I think some settings were somewhat recent, I don't remember all of these settings when I first played the game during release.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really enjoy it that much. The suspense they built kind of just fell flat for me, because the thing they built up to was usually some random out-of-nowhere bullshit.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't really enjoy it that much. The suspense they built kind of just fell flat for me, because the thing they built up to was usually some random out-of-nowhere bullshit.

I don't think it's bullshit, there really are things that are built up until the end of the game. It just depends on what you can accept but the prologue is already a huge teaser of what to expect

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
If you go into the games expecting a normal suspense or thriller, I think you are likely to be disappointed. Even if the subject matter is similar to those genres, the pacing and general inscrutability of the plot make it pretty hard to establish the necessary tension. The games are not quite so surreal as Killer 7, but I do think they are essentially arthouse games. Play them if you want something weird and experimental, but don't expect a lot of mainstream appeal.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP, I bet you can't wait for Flower Sun and Rain remake :P

Since Silver case and 25 ward are released, should I play them right now? I like to do a serie when it's complete, but isn't FSR and Killer 7 are part of the narrative?

And what is the Syndrome serie and why isn't it remastered too?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP, I bet you can't wait for Flower Sun and Rain remake :P

Since Silver case and 25 ward are released, should I play them right now? I like to do a serie when it's complete, but isn't FSR and Killer 7 are part of the narrative?

And what is the Syndrome serie and why isn't it remastered too?

Flower, Sun and Rain is one of my favorite games of all time so you bet I am excited!

The Kill the Past universe goes like this chronologically :

- Moonlight Syndrome*
- The Silver Case
- Flower, Sun and Rain
- The 25th Ward
- Killer7*

Killer7 is not connected at a narrative level because it happens in another timeline. Moonlight Syndrome has a connection to the universe but it's another franchise entirely, and it's owned by Spike Chunsoft so it's on them to release a remaster of the Syndrome series. They were basically horror adventure games at the time. Moonlight Syndrome itself is a spin-off from the Twilight Syndrome series that goes on a separate timeline.

So basically going : Silver Case > FSR > 25th Ward is enough to have an understanding of the whole narrative. It's not that big an issue if you can't play FSR though, because it's mostly self-contained for now.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
Am I horrible because I don't want to play The Silver Case due to everything BUT the story? I'd love a good audiovisual novel but the puzzle stuff will kill it for me.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I remember trying to get into this once but it was just so convoluted (didn't understand anything), so it is worth doing the deep dive into the series?

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember trying to get into this once but it was just so convoluted (didn't understand anything), so it is worth doing the deep dive into the series?

I'd say it's definitely worth it but it's all up to you. Personally I loved them and I learn something new everytime I replay them as if they're completely new experiences every time. It's great to play games that you can revisit with another lens and experience something differently.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just started The Silver Case remake today. Really excited to get into it.

Please, please, post impressions as you go through each chapter. It will make things very, very interesting haha

I think it's worth playing until the end. It's a pretty unique game.
It's not for everyone, but I think the sheer insanity of everything is something you have to taste it once at least.