Votes: 94 13.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 127 17.5%

• Total voters

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
w7fzq14c3g961.jpg

Seen this and can't stop thinking about it. I'm an always on subtitler is my life a lie? will epople look down on me for subtitles?

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Subtitles go on until the specific work itself proves they're not necessary.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Always. Audio isn't always mixed well and it's more convenient to read than constantly play around with turning the volume up and down and all around.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
If I can hear it/understand the language then I dont have it on. I'd much rather spend more time looking at the images.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
I have some weird audio processing issues going on and subtitles have been a life saver.

They're also especially useful in group watches when there's a bunch of people also talking.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a choice between watching a movie in the language it was written in, or watching a dubbed version? Yes, I will do subtitles over a dubbed version every time.

And yes, if the audio mixing is shitty, I will turn on the subtitles. My hearing isn't that great to begin with, so the option to turn them on is great.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Subtitles are super distracting, especially when I'm watching a show in the language I understand.

I tend to keep them off unless I want to rewatch something and focus on every word of the dialogue.

I'm totally fine with subs for foreign language content. I prefer subs to dubs in most cases.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
In movies/TV, sure. Native language with subs on, let it rock if its one I don't understand.

In games, always on. I've full blown given up on audio mixing in games. Its always shit. Just because someone is behind you does not mean it sounds like they are 500 km away.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Only when I'm watching something in a language I don't understand. I dislike reading subtitles not to mention it ruins the athmosphere. I don't need "aaargh!" to show up in bright white letters while watching a horror film.

Audio isn't always mixed well
70% of modern action/adventure movies have total shit audio mixing
activate night mode, it keeps the volume at the same loudness level so dialogue is equally as loud/quiet as action sequences

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
I mostly watch a lot of foreign films and programmes, so I'm pretty use to them. But I rarely if ever have them on for anything English, I don't see the point.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The only time I have ever turned on subtitles for something in English (my native Language) was with The Witcher where I really couldn't keep straight all the fantasy names, terms, and places. It made a huge difference for my comprehensibility. But I can't imagine having subtitles on all the time. That's very shocking to me.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Yes for foreign language films/anime/tv obviously.

In terms of stuff in languages I can speak. I will always keep them off unless it's 100% incomprehensible. Even with Tenet recently we stopped the movie and I messed with my EQ to get it right, and we still turned them on for one part.

I also do know people who have them on all the.time which is odd to me. I blame it on the fact they use their TV speakers.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only when I'm watching something in a language I don't understand. I dislike reading subtitles not to mention it ruins the athmosphere. I don't need "aaargh!" to show up in bright white letters while watching a horror film.

At least then you would know it's an Aaargh! and not an Aaaaaahg!

activate night mode, it keeps the volume at the same loudness level so dialogue is equally as loud/quiet as action sequences

Okay... what?

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Speed reader, I hate subtitles and if I can, I will watch without subtitles.

Games, I'll typically play with subtitles, and I'll watch movies/shows with them if there's conflicting audio(Watch parties, etc)

ravn0s

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Subs only for foreign language if there is no dub or the dub is atrocious.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I have ever turned on subtitles for something in English (my native Language) was with The Witcher where I really couldn't keep straight all the fantasy names, terms, and places. It made a huge difference for my comprehensibility. But I can't imagine having subtitles on all the time. That's very shocking to me.

Spoiler... this will help you with all movies and shows. Not just the Witcher.

It becomes second nature after the second show.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
If the audio is mixed bad I will put them on but I'm not gonna lie, they do distract me from the film sometimes.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Always native with subs. Only exception is stuff in my native language when it's easily understandable (which is with the amount of dialects we have not always the case. Most local films and tv shows are subtitled as a standard)

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
100% of the time, movies or games. I can't understand shit, especially if they're British or some other oddly accented English.
What the heck is "Night Mode" - literally never seen this in a game.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Always for me when available. English is a 2nd language though, I suppose. I do understand it well, like I have no problem following streams, but it's still more comfy to watch with subs on. It also helps to learn how to spell names and makes sure I never miss anything.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I thought I was in gaming side and initially voted always.

TV and film content? Never unless it's in a foreign language obviously. I can't think of the last time I needed that and I watch a LOT.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I only use subtitles on TV/movies when it's in a different language, otherwise it's too distracting and I'll find myself spending more time reading the subtitles than actually watching what's happening.

For games, though, always. I stg every time I even try to play a game without subtitles I'll inevitably always come across at least one scene where I cannot for the life of me fkn understand anything being said. Game sound mixing is a plague.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I struggle with listening to shows unsubbed. It's not just a bad audio mixing issue - but it's totally that too, it's also the fact that it's just super easy to mishear a film or TV show. I keep them on, reading as they talk actually makes the speech clearer.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Spoiler... this will help you with all movies and shows. Not just the Witcher.

It becomes second nature after the second show.
But help me with what? That is the only time in my life I have ever needed help.

Generally I find subtitles hurt the performance significantly because I read much faster than the line delivery. It's like 1000 microspoilers every episode.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
But help me with what? That is the only time in my life I have ever needed help.

Generally I find subtitles hurt the performance significantly because I read much faster than the line delivery. It's like 1000 microspoilers every episode.

This is my experience too. The impact of delivery is lost if you've already skipped ahead. Dramatic pauses are no longer a thing.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Movies and shows that are in my language? None.

Video games regardless of language? Always, 100%.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well for me it will help me catch something that wasnt so clearly expressed in the dialogue. Or it will help me to keep track of names as it did in The Irishman. Or it will help me catch how many times Aquaman yells Shiiiiiiiiiiit while Im high and watching Aquaman.

It's not a catch all but its like having the lyrics open for a song you are into. You just understand it better.

With that said not all subtitles on streaming services are equal. Netflix has the best... HBO Max has some catching up to do with its CC only option.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've never heard about this? In the sound settings in a lot of AVRs and TVs you can find an option that keeps the audio at the same volume at all times. Most of the time it's called "night mode" or something similar and it's the best damn feature ever.

Well. I guess I was more intrigued by the prospect that the audio itself would be balanced to be more dialogue than effects rather than an across the line volume drop. Does it do that? I am 100 being serious here cause I will look into it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. I've always had to use subtitles. Anyone who doesn't speak english or who doesn't have a huge VO industry waiting on every movie to do voice over in their language has to deal with subtitles.

This whole "subtitles are bad" sentiment is some really provincial thinking.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Only if the audio mixing is particularly bad or I can't understand the accents of people talking. Otherwise, I find subtitles are unhelpful despite being hard of hearing. Either they are too slow for me since I read it much faster, hard to read, or just distracting..

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the movie/ tv show.
Normally I prefer it without subtitles but some actors are just damn hard to understand or the audio mixing is not great.

May 19, 2020
"subtitles are microspoilers" is the most blockheaded take i will read today probably and it's not even 8am, smh

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Subs over dubs every single time. A big reason I go to the movie theater alone here in Italy is because none of my friends watch movies in English and I can't put up with the horrible audio mixing and dubs they have here.

Also, with subtitles I get to watch a wider selection of films that may not necessarily receive a theatrical release without a dub

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
If the movie is in English, then never. They are a distraction and ruin comedic timing and delivery.

If the movie is in another language, then always, as I prefer to ruin comedic timing vs ruin the whole performance with a dub.

I always use them in games though, 100%.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
There's something very comforting about watching films with subtitles on, even if the audio isn't poor. I used to do it quite a bit, although I do it less so now.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No in movies/shows unless absolutely necessary.

For games I always use them if the story is important, like in a Mass Effect or Last of Us for example but I wouldn't use them in like Crash Bandicoot