Status
Not open for further replies.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
http://fortune.com/2017/11/30/dogs-or-cats-smarter-study/

Researchers at Vanderbilt decided to put the age old debate to the test objectively, studying the number of cortical neurons in the brains of a number of animals. The results? Canines had a significantly higher number than felines.

Dogs, it turns out, have about 530 million cortical neurons. Cats have less than half that, coming in with 250 million. (We humans have about 16 billion.)

"I believe the absolute number of neurons an animal has, especially in the cerebral cortex, determines the richness of their internal mental state and their ability to predict what is about to happen in their environment based on past experience," said Suzana Herculano-Houzel, associate professor of psychology and biological sciences at Vanderbilt, who oversaw the study with a collection of international researchers.

Total propaganda! Suzana Herculano-Houzel continued on...

"I'm 100 percent a dog person," she says, "but, with that disclaimer, our findings mean to me that dogs have the biological capability of doing much more complex and flexible things with their lives than cats can."

Dog people confirmed 100% the worst kind of people!

If it's not clear, my tone is sarcasm, but cats are still better than dogs.

(edit) Dammit, title should be 'Dogs are smarter than cats'

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, dogs might have more "cortical neurons," but cats' neurons are optimized better. When you go to the grocery store, a dog would freak out as if you're never coming back home, while a cat is only mildly perturbed. Plus, cats poop in boxes.

Open and shut case.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
03b91e2b1ecb351d7822bf4982599a1fcad24ead456db8d28c03c0fbe462d8d1.jpg

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Cats are vindictive little shits to the people who provide for them.
Dogs are good boys who'll love you always.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Dogs will always be better than cats. Therefore the study is right and they continue to be man's best friend and all of them are good boys and girls bront

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cats vs Dogs
Marvel vs DC
Nintendo vs PlayStation
Cake vs Pie

The divisions in humanity.

Rex Griswold

Oct 29, 2017
I could have told you that.

You ever watch a cat willingly and intentionally jump into a tub of bleach while you're mopping?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cats don't have enough neurons to care when you fall to the floor with a heart attack.

Dogs will call 911.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I think it depends on the breed, no? A border collie is pretty smart, but pugs are barely functioning animals.

Rats are the true smart pets anyway.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a study on UK TV a while ago. While dogs are smarter, cats are better at working out problems etc

Oct 26, 2017
Dogs>Cats.

And I say that as a cat owner. Dogs are finding their owners a thousand miles away, helping the blind, predicting natural disasters, rescuing people, protecting babies, etc.

I mean they get so emotionally attached to you they will guard your grave until they die.

Good doggo.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
we were a cat family growing up, never had a dog until this year.

Cats > Dogs

Dogs do what you say sure, but you also have to treat them like a toddler most of the time. A cat is more like a teenager that hates you but can't move out yet.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dogs are driven by the reward centre in their brains. Everything they do is governed by that (that's how you teach them tricks by manipulating it in the first place).

Cats may not be as expressive but they don't really want anything from you. For example, all it takes is feeding a lion cub for a few months and you can hang out with it when it's an adult. This is how people like Kevin Richardson can chill with a lion pride without getting destroyed.

But yes, dogs are smarter because you can actually teach them stuff.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Cats are able to do just as much as dogs can, but they just don't give a shit and do what they want. They're my way or the highway animals and I love them for it.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who follow orders aren't smart
People who know and can choose when to follow, takes actual intelligence

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, dogs might have more "cortical neurons," but cats' neurons are optimized better. When you go to the grocery store, a dog would freak out as if you're never coming back home, while a cat is only mildly perturbed. Plus, cats poop in boxes.

Open and shut case.

I'd much rather walk a dog and get some exercise than scoop lumps of pungent piss and shit in the confines of my home.

And a dog freaking out because you're gone implies they're more emotionally attached to you than a cat with its apathy.

Then again, I live with one of each, and I can say as a dog person, a cat is an acquired taste. They know when you're being sincere with your affection, more so than a dog.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
After 20 years with cats and dogs around me, I am willing to accept that dogs are potentially more capable than cats. But my experience tells me a different story. Always seemed to be more aware of their world around them.

But I'm more of a cat person and not objective enough. I think both are incredible companions. I'm glad for the years I had with my cats and dogs.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Dogs>Cats.

And I say that as a cat owner. Dogs are finding their owners a thousand miles away, helping the blind, predicting natural disasters, rescuing people, protecting babies, etc.

I mean they get so emotionally attached to you they will guard your grave until they die.

Good doggo.
This just makes me start thinking what a seeing eye cat would be like.

There's a reason why we used to say leading a raid in wow was like herding cats

darscot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is news to no one that has ever observed both animals. Dogs think and problem solve, they learn to use expression and manipulation. Cats are just instinctual a cat does what a cat does. Cats have a basic program that works and they stick to it. You wouldn't think it but in their natural environments Dogs are more efficient killers.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dogs are like flesh robots we programmed into weird fuzzy slaves - of course their brains are more flexible. Dogs can do a million things, cats more or less just do cat shit.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The point if domestication nowadays is generally to make an animal as stupid and subservient as possible.

Dogs are smarter yes. They are pack animals and much more social animals than Cats are. This comes from their being more intelligent/adaptable due to evolution. A well trained dog is certainly miles beyond.

As far as owning as a pet though? Nothing go do with intelligence, and dogs depending on breed are kind of a nightmare out of the proverbial box to take care of/manage. They require a lot more work and attention.

In some says you can say cats are plug and play, and dogs require a lot of tinkering/fine tuning and upkeep.

That being said either animal is going to respond to it's treatment. If you stick a cat outside/in the garage all the time, never pet it, and expect it to give you unconditional love and be all snuggly, you're crazy.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Sometimes I really think my dog is a genius and the next moment he does something so stupid, I realize he's just a big stupid goofball

But I think that's what makes them so loveable

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who has spent more than 15 minutes with dogs and cats should already be aware dogs are smarter. But they're still both really stupid. It's like saying a 2nd grader is smarter than a 1st grader. Like yeah, but it's still stuffing its face with glue.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Dogs have evolved alongside humans, and will love you unconditionally.

If you were smaller, your cat would kill you and eat you.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dogs are driven by the reward centre in their brains. Everything they do is governed by that (that's how you teach them tricks by manipulating it in the first place).

Cats may not be as expressive but they don't really want anything from you. For example, all it takes is feeding a lion cub for a few months and you can hang out with it when it's an adult. This is how people like Kevin Richardson can chill with a lion pride without getting destroyed.

But yes, dogs are smarter because you can actually teach them stuff.
You can teach cats stuff as well?

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But pigs are smarter than dogs and can also fetch you some sweetass truffles

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can try all you want dog stans but your boring dog pictures and gifs will never mean anything on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.