Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get this. Even going grocery shopping is a risk unless you're the only one inside or everyone's wearing N95 respirators at a minimum.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious any increase in breathing is going to raise your susceptibility to a respiratory virus, but I guess the people who worry about those things aren't exercising around others in normal times.

personally, I've gone from swimming 5 times a week before the virus, to walking for an hour around the local park with a 20 minute routine on the park's pull up / parallel bars. I even take hand wipes for after using the bars, and importantly if there's other people using them when I arrive I don't use them that morning.

I think the most important thing is not to be a stubborn arse if there's too many people around and go home or at least reduce your routine to reduce spread.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
But the government is still saying to go outside for exercise and activity.

California is the first place to shelter in place in the US and their FAQ states this:

So further guidance is good for people to learn.

They're not saying to go outside for exercise and activity.

They're saying that it is okay if you want to go outside for exercise and activity.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They're not saying to go outside for exercise and activity.

They're saying that it is okay if you want to go outside for exercise and activity.

That's what I meant. It's pretty much implied by that. Nobody is going to think the government is explicitly saying you have to go outside to do it, but they're still telling people that it's okay to do it for their health. So the notion that you should stay inside at all times goes against the guidelines that they're telling people.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Lots of corona spreading that will be happening in BC based on this article. So many cyclists just tailgating one another, barely a meter away pedaling fast.
I jog almost everyday but will keep a 10 meter distance. I tried jogging with a mask and that didn't work so well.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I need to go to my local park to run. Not only as a physical health thing, but also as a mental health thing. I run outside every day, and it really helps with my depression. But, I always pull off to the right into the grass if I see someone coming.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
That's what I meant. It's pretty much implied by that. Nobody is going to think the government is explicitly saying you have to go outside to do it, but they're still telling people that it's okay to do it for their health. So the notion that you should stay inside at all times goes against the guidelines that they're telling people.

I don't know how other countries are handling it, but in Australia if you are outside and not doing an activity thats okay, you do get a significant fine. We've already seen a good amount of fines being handed out.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how other countries are handling it, but in Australia if you are outside and not doing an activity thats okay, you do get a significant fine. We've already seen a good amount of fines being handed out.

In the US, you can be fined too. But even in Australia, they say it's okay for you to go outside for exercise.

It feels like in most places that have shelter in place, one of the allowance to go outside is to get some form of exercise. So this new study and guidance seems pretty important to make people aware of since in most cases it seems the recommendation even while exercising is a distance of 2 meters or 6 feet. I think it's also important that people to know that they don't need to be inside 24/7. That's not going to be healthy for a lot of people over a long duration. It's okay but just practice some good and responsible limitations.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going running at around 11pm when nobody is out in my neighborhood. I think I've seen maybe 2 or 3 people total.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It should be common sense, but a lot of people use their wishes instead of common sense when making decisions.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
In the US, you can be fined too. But even in Australia, they say it's okay for you to go outside for exercise.

It feels like in most places that have shelter in place, one of the allowance to go outside is to get some form of exercise. So this new study and guidance seems pretty important to make people aware of since in most cases it seems the recommendation even while exercising is a distance of 2 meters or 6 feet. I think it's also important that people to know that they don't need to be inside 24/7. That's not going to be healthy for a lot of people over a long duration. It's okay but just practice some good and responsible limitations.

Of course you can, but people have been fined for being out supposedly "exercising". We're also a bit fortunate in Australia, we're not quite as denseley populated as other countries.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Like 2 weeks ago I was waiting for a train and I smelled a bit of cigarette smoke from some guy smoking like 3 metres away. Because it's more obvious you're sharing air with people when there's an actual scent to it, it felt like I just inhaled some viral-loaded miasma he exhaled from his lung lol.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
so basically

don't draft behind strangers.
If someone runs past you whose coughing and sneezing stay the fuck away

got it

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
No one is going to follow this protocol. 60 feet? That's insane.
Maybe they should stay home then - as advised.

The number of morons posting their daily outdoor walk on social media astounds me.

Selfish, self centered people willing to put other at risk to do their little jog, or take an insta picture.

Some parks were full of people in Paris this weekend. This virus isn't going away soon thanks to imbeciles.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The rejection of what seems like grade school level common sense surrounding this virus has been nothing short of astonishing. You've got a fucking respiratory disease knowingly spread through aerosols and the carnival of stupid has arguing againsts masks for everyone and advocating FOR going to a fucking public park to suck air with 50 wheezing assholes spewing shit directly in your face. Flat earthers have more common sense than most of the so called progressive intellectuals on this very board.
The truth right here

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK Italy, Spain, India, forbid outdoor exercising.

My country does too, parks are closed and cycling is allowed only as a transportation method, however, it's being highly regulated.

Edit: This mayor had some words for the joggers :v

Agree with this guy. If you didn't run before then why the fuck do you think now is an acceptable time to take it up?

I leave the house to run 3 times a week before 6am. I'd never have passed a soul a few weeks ago and I've now got to run around all these people with brand spanking new running gear.

Looking forward to a bit of shit weather when these FWRs decide it's a bit too cold or a bit too wet to go outside.

Also fuck power walkers.

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with this guy. If you didn't run before then why the fuck do you think now is an acceptable time to take it up?

I'm not saying it makes sense to go to what you would know would be an already busy park or green space, but it's surely not shocking why overweight,obese and unfit people (who are more susceptible) or people in general who don't have the time to excercise much who have nothing else to do might want to get out the house and excercise. They're probably not thinking about running hipsters when they make their decision

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I noticed that the outdoor exercisers in my town seem to bother the least with keeping a distance to anyone. Almost as if the directive "to exercise alone outside" is a magical spell to protect them from any non-exercising strangers who they might encounter on their way. Or maybe they are just huge gaping assholes who expect everyone else to leap into the dirt as soon as, you see them running/cycling in your direction.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People who are still insisting on going out for anything else than basic groceries or going to work (if you absolutely have to) are simpleminded idiots endangering anyone around them.

I've been outside twice since 16.03. and still get enough exercise. Sure it's annoying but it's a matter of some weeks, so learn to deal with it and wait for this situation to be over.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
People who are still insisting on going out for anything else than basic groceries or going to work (if you absolutely have to) are simpleminded idiots endangering anyone around them.

I've been outside twice since 16.03. and still get enough exercise. Sure it's annoying but it's a matter of some weeks, so learn to deal with it and wait for this situation to be over.
The article helpfully provides correct distances and practices. It seems more simpleminded to take the information in the article and conclude that "all outside = bad, and you are idiot," no?

The article provides minimum distances, based on data, for a variety of activities. For *many people* it is feasible to meet or exceed those minimum distances.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The article helpfully provides correct distances and practices. It seems more simpleminded to take the information in the article and conclude that "all outside = bad, and you are idiot," no?

The article provides minimum distances, based on data, for a variety of activities. For *many people* it is feasible to meet or exceed those minimum distances.
All I'm seeing is tons of people going out in groups for their "health" (understand: they are annoyed that they have to stay inside) and infection rates not going down.
It's really not that difficult, stay at home and save lives.

Will you think my stance on this is simpleminded once someone in your family gets the virus because someone really needed to go out for a jog?

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
All I'm seeing is tons of people going out in groups for their "health" (understand: they are annoyed that they have to stay inside) and infection rates not going down.

Will you think my stance on this is simpleminded once someone in your family gets the virus because someone really needed to go out for a jog?
But then why wouldn't it be simply those people that are idiots (I would agree they are idiots for going out in groups)? So many people live in circumstances where they can go out and not get anywhere near another person.

For example, I take my kids to the parking lot of a local community college to ride their bikes. We get a huge section of the parking lot to ourselves. Other parents do the same thing and we never get within 100 meters of each other. Why wouldn't you distinguish between that and those you see going out in groups?

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I went out for a walk yesterday and realised that if I could literally feel the heat coming off people running / cycling past me (or smell them!), then they're most definitely too close.

I think I'll just stay indoors.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
1*xR4JuvsEr8WFfBJM1qjyvg.jpeg
Imagine being a kid and living in the crispy groinal saliva flake zone.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But then why wouldn't it be simply those people that are idiots (I would agree they are idiots for going out in groups)? So many people live in circumstances where they can go out and not get anywhere near another person.

For example, I take my kids to the parking lot of a local community college to ride their bikes. We get a huge section of the parking lot to ourselves. Other parents do the same thing and we never get within 100 meters of each other. Why wouldn't you distinguish between that and those you see going out in groups?
I know that some people are responsible and capable of following basic guidelines. It's great that you manage to get as much free space!
BUT, a lot (and I feel like it's the majority of people indeed) are idiots that don't care about the safety of others because they still feel like "this virus can't affect me". Those are the idiots that will drag out this quarantine because they will continue infecting people even if they do it by mistake. I hate to say it, but you're putting your kids at risk. Sure, you can follow the instructions and stay 100m away from other people. But what if those other people are coming to you because they don't care and feel like they can't be at risk?

It's just safer to stay inside.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People here demonizing folks for needing to get outside for some exercise have lost their damn minds.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Just stay the fuck home. Why is this so hard to do?
Because it's unhealthy to stay inside all the time, mentally and physically.

On the other note, I hear that a lot of parks are closed in other countries etc. Isn't this kinda counterproductive reducing the space where people can actually do exercise alone? Wouldn't it be better to keep the parks and trails open so people can spread out more easily?
At least as far as I can see in my town (Germany), it seems to work fine with people keeping the distance (and more people start to wear facemasks). The police will usually patrol around parks and usual gathering points and break up groups if needed. But that seems really rare.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Are you kidding me...
I was biking all last week with my kid...I need to erase this article from my memory, not helping with anxiety, we were even told by NV governor walking and riding was fine if we were spread out
At least as far as walking goes, here in Toronto its damn near impossible to spread out on the average City sidewalk. Too many people, and too narrow sidewalks. Makes going for walks like a game of dodgeball, where I'm seemingly the only one playing.

Oct 25, 2017

Rates don't just magically go down, it takes time for the trend to kick in. If testing is behind, and there's a long time to symptoms show, then you need at least 10-14 days POST quarantine to identify if rates have dropped.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rates don't just magically go down, it takes time for the trend to kick in. If testing is behind, and there's a long time to symptoms show, then you need at least 10-14 days POST quarantine to identify if rates have dropped.
Which means people should stay inside for at least 10-14 after the quarantine is lifted !

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We're getting to the point where nothing is safe to do and everyone is going to eventually go numb to it and just say fuck it. Articles like this aren't helping anything. There is reasonable safety and then there is radical hypochondria.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
We're getting to the point where nothing is safe to do and everyone is going to eventually go numb to it and just say fuck it. Articles like this aren't helping anything. There is reasonable safety and then there is radical hypochondria.
This article doesn't raise the "radical hypochondria" red flag for me. It seems factual and data driven, and helps people know the proper distances to keep. I can't see what's wrong with that.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the most densely populated county in the country. Just end me now.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought this can be a common vector, "walking into" someone's "breathed out material".
Too little attention is paid to that imo.
Yeah too much attention was given to hand washing and not enough to this. I'm pretty sure this is how vast majority of people get infected with corona and not from touching surfaces.

Oct 30, 2017
Frankly because it's even more boring than running. Secondly, it requires a wide space.

I think some people just want to get outside. Some of us JUST got through a brutal winter.

I need to go to my local park to run. Not only as a physical health thing, but also as a mental health thing. I run outside every day, and it really helps with my depression. But, I always pull off to the right into the grass if I see someone coming.

I just came out of five months of seasonal affective disorder in which I was struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts. Sunshine, exercise and being outdoors is one of the only things that helps. Staying indoors is important, but it's also not indefinitely sustainable and comes with other health problems. :/

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amount of people still running and biking in Manhattan riverside without any protection is staggering moronic.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just go on midnight runs. Late at night past 10 pm you shouldn't encounter anyone and if you do you can cross the street without being worried about cars.
This assumes a lot of privilege.

If I was a woman, a person of color, or in a questionable neighborhood I would be very wary about running in the middle of the night around neighborhoods.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I've been using my jump rope lately. I share a back yard with two other units, but we're all friends so we give each other a heads up if the others are gonna hang out back there.