JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Studio Ghibli. Does it really need an introduction? Since its foundation in 1985 by legendary directors Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, this studio has become one of, if not the most celebrated animation studio in the world.

I myself have been a fan of the studio for the longest time, as in my country the majority of the movies were finally localized in an unified manner by Lucky Red starting from 2005, when I was just about the right young age to be forever captivated by them.

In spite of my apparent devotion to the studio, I haven't actually watched all of their movies; and in the next couple of weeks I intend to finally fix that by going in chronological order on Netflix and watching them ALL (roughly one every day), because it's summer and I've got time to spare.

I can't promise that I will be thorough or well spoken, but at the end of the day I just want to appreciate these absolutely wonderful (for the most part) classics.

As reference, these are all of the Studio Ghibli theatrical releases I had watched prior to starting the retrospective (in chronological order):
  • Castle in the Sky
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Porco Rosso
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Spirited Away
  • Howl's Moving Castle
  • Ponyo
  • Arietty
But to begin, we have to look back at a film that isn't technically by Studio Ghibli, but whose success helped spark its birth.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

Nausicaaposter.jpg
s-l300.jpg
warriorswind.jpg
*barf*

Now this is a weird start, not only because of technicalities, but also because it took me this long to finally watch it, AND I had read the whole manga prior!
In short, the movie is based on Hayao Miyazaki's manga of the same name, but only on roughly the first 2 volumes, and repurposed to resemble a complete narrative to fit in the 2-hours runtime.

Because of my familiarity with the "full" work, I honestly expected to not be particularly blown away by Nausicaa; but in spite of that, I actually enjoyed it a lot!

The post-apocalyptic world Miyazaki has crafted is translated (and I can't stress this enough) BEAUTIFULLY to the animation medium;
the world-building is minimal yet brillianty conveyed;
the theme of nature Vs. humanity is splendidly presented, with Nausicaa herself serving as a bridge between the two,
and in spite of some plot shortcuts I noticed, the overarching narrative is still quite solid all things considered, although the factions at play (especially Pejite) end up being quite underdeveloped, but oh well.
My only real gripe with the movie is how the "chosen one" trope is shoehorned at the beginning of the movie and becomes relevant at the end for no particular reason narrative-wise.

In the end I enjoyed Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind more than I expected, and the best thing is that if you're dying to see more of this beautiful world, there's a whole manga to chew through.

NEXT UP:
What I consider my favourite Studio Ghibli movie ever, and their technical debut in the animation industry... Castle in the Sky.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Honestly...I think the only one I watched from Ghibli is Kiki's Delivery Service.

Now that I have HBO Max.....I should catch up and watch some of the movies I missed out (eventually all lol).

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
Last weekend for the first time I watched Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. HMC was awesome, but Spirited Away definitely left a lasting impression. Just can't get it out of my head.

What does ERA recommend next?

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun, OP. Having kids makes it fun to revisit the movies. With my daughter I've watched:
  • Castle in the Sky - She didn't like
  • Kiki's Delivery - LOVED
  • My Neighbor Totoro - LOVED
  • Spirited Away - Loved parts but got kind of bored
  • Howl's Moving Castle - Enjoyed but thought parts were scary
  • The Cat Returns - Probably her favorite after Totoro and Kiki
  • Whisper of the Heart - She thought it was too slow
  • Ponyo - Liked
  • Arietty -Loved

I try to do a quick revisit myself to see if they will be too much for her. Mononoke is way too much right now, and Nausicaa is my personal favorite but still is probably too much for her to handle.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nausicaa is so incredible. I've only just watched it and it quickly rose to the top for me as my favorite Ghibli film. It's just so good. I immediatly bought the manga as well. It's beautiful, but as I don't normally read mangas I'm not that drawn to it and I'm progressing very slowly. But that's okay. :-)

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should finally check out their filmography. I haven't seen a single Studio Ghibli film but I've been meaning to for years.

I did watch 20 minutes of Princess Mononoke and thought that monster gave me a headache.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
OP, don't skip Grave of the Fireflies, since you've never watched it and it's not available to stream!

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Early Ghibli (basically, pre-Spirited Away) >>> later Ghibli, IMO. Castle in the Sky is also my favorite, but Nausicaa is great. I need to do a rewatch at some point, maybe make my girlfriend watch them with me...

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nausicaa is so good. I own the Blu-ray for that and mononoke. I just rewatched Howls and kinda wanna rewatch spirited away

Saw Totoro for the first time in theaters last year. It was great. Way more haunting in the beginning than I thought it would be

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Last weekend for the first time I watched Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away. HMC was awesome, but Spirited Away definitely left a lasting impression. Just can't get it out of my head.

What does ERA recommend next?
Castle in the Sky is my favorite by far.

It's not a Ghibli movie but I'd definitely recommend Castle of Cagliostro, it's an early Miyazaki movie but it's a great adventure film imo.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Really excited to see what people think of Porco Rosso. I think that film has both charitable and uncharitable readings of the film

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I feel like Ponyo is unfairly maligned as a lesser Ghibli work. My daughter loves it, and I really rate it these days as well.

Dec 31, 2017
I watched bunch since they have been on Netflix. Castle in the Sky is fantastic. Could clearly see the influence it had on Breath of the Wild too.

Porco Rosso was the surprise one for me; absolutely loved it.

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
Nausicaa is so incredible. I've only just watched it and it quickly rose to the top for me as my favorite Ghibli film. It's just so good. I immediatly bought the manga as well. It's beautiful, but as I don't normally read mangas I'm not that drawn to it and I'm progressing very slowly. But that's okay. :-)
You're in for a treat cuz IMO the film doesn't do it the full justice it deserves. It's one of Miyazaki's greatest achievements.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I would love to use this thread to recommend an absolutely lovely podcast. It's a man who has seen all of the Ghibli movies and his friend who has seen none of them, and they review them one by one. It's fantastic:

play.acast.com

Ghibliotheque - A Podcast About Studio Ghibli on acast

Welcome to the Ghibliotheque, the podcast that leafs through libraries of films from the world’s greatest animation studios. In 2018, Michael Leader, an avowed Studio Ghibli fanatic, sat down with Jake Cunningham, who had never seen any of the Studio’s work before. Together they looked at the...

I don't see any Ghibli films on Netflix in the US. A quick search tells me they are on HBO Max.

Yep, HBO Max is the only place for Ghibli in the US.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I love Nausicaa's particular take on a sort of retro futurism - there's a unique juxtaposition of science fiction, cool stuff like the the vehicles, weapons, equipment combined with older relics, the architecture, the lady with a prosthetic arm like a suit of armor, as well as a strange and wonderful natural world.

It was also really cool to revisit this movie after becoming a fan of the later Ghibli works, especially in the theater. The music is awesome.

Last edited:

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
That warriors of the wind poster is why i miyazaki was cautious with letting his work come to the west for a long time. I dont blame him,i didnt even had anything to do with it and it makes me want to puke already just from looking at it.

They also tried to make asbel the main character by cutting like, 20 minutes of the movie. Very classy.

Castle in the Sky
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986)

815ajaKlKiL._AC_SL1341_.jpg
bb921944c8c4531826da3fa99b494c1a_500x735.jpg
locandina.jpg

(the middle poster is proudly framed on my bedroom's wall)

Hoooo boy... Castle in the Sky might be one of the best fantasy-adventure movies ever conceived: the world is enticing, the characters are a joy to watch, the setpieces are incredible, the visuals are gorgeous, the symbolism is touching, the pace is pitch-perfect...

It might not be objectively perfect, but this type of movie, or might I say... Experience. Is something that very rarely comes up in media.
It's a masterful union of 2 worlds: Miyazaki's philosophy about humanity and the environment, and his absolutely A+ action/adventure chops, gained after years of experience in the industry. I wish we had gotten SO much more of his adventure style.

This movie just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside: it's beautiful, whimsical, exciting, and most of all... Sincere.

Also, I'm morally obligated to tell you to go watch Future Boy Conan, one of Miyazaki's older works that served as a template for this movie, it's an absolute treat, if a bit old.

NEXT UP:
The movie in which Studio Ghibli's mascot made its debut on the silver screen: My Neighbor Totoro.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
Fun fact: Castle in the Sky was a big influence on Skies of Arcadia. It's the only Ghibli movie I've seen (though hopefully not for long).

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been meaning to go through most of these again on the UK netflix but still haven't got around to it.
Though I did rewatch my own copy of Castle in the Sky earlier this year, it's in contention for my favourite, just really nails that adventure vibe.
And it has one of my fave main themes of the lot by the beast that is Joe Hisashi

Also interestingly has one of the only straight up villain…villains of the entire ghibli catalogue, I think Miyazaki once said something about why this was the case, or more accurately why after the colonel he decided to implement more shades of grey to any character that could be seen as the antagonist.
But I can't recall the specifics, might've been in one of those polygon articles from their Ghibli month recently, worth checking those out.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Jesus Christ, that that Warriors of the Wind poster.

What a mess.

Anyway I look forward to reading through this thread every now and again!

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Actually the thing i remember the most about Nausicaa is that it took me a few minutes to figure out whether she was wearing skin colored pants or if she was wearing nothing at all.

My Neighbor Totoro
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

71DYQuv5lbL._AC_SY606_.jpg
locandina.jpg

This movie screams "passion project", doesn't it?
I'm kind of at a loss for words on how to talk about Totoro, it's a delightful window into 1950s Japan countryside, with mystical animism sprinkled throughout.
And to be frank, this film is disgustingly delightful: the protagonists are energetic, cheerful and carefree, everyone around them is nice, the nature surrounding them is simple yet magical;
the only time the movie takes off its fluffy mittens (to replace them with slighty less fluffy mittens right after), is in the last 3rd of the movie, where any semblance of serious drama rears its head, to be then resolved in a feel-good fashion.

It may not be grand or mature, but hot damn does Totoro squeeze every last ounce of charm from its premise, and in a totally sincere matter at that.

NEXT UP:
Because I don't have access to Grave of the Fireflies (and I'm kind of not in the mood for it), we skip to a brand-new movie for me: Kiki's Delivery Service.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
Bump because I really wanted to hear more people's opinions on Castle in the Sky.

I always wondered if castle in the sky shared the same universe as nausicaa. Never looked into it but wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Allso, you have to be really prepared to watch grave of the fireflies. make sure to watch it on a friday night so you have a whole weekend locked away to recover before going back to society

Kiki's Delivery Service
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

locandina.jpg
716nIdY1UoL._AC_SL1333_.jpg

One of the only movies solely spearheaded by Miyazaki that I had not seen until now.
Kiki's Delivery Service is a delightful tale about growing up, self-doubt and becoming indipendent... And not much more for me.
Now, this movie does continue the streak set by Totoro of being painfully delightful, but I don't think I can muster to relate 100% to the struggles of a 13 year old girl (that's pretty freaking young don't you think?).
If I had been younger myself I think I would have enjoyed this movie much more, but as it stands, I'm not.

I think I liked Totoro more simply because I can relate to the feeling of admiring nature in an isolated home in the countryside, and appreciating the small, delightful things in life because of first-hand experience. Heck, you might as well throw in the theme of the fear of losing the ones close to you for good measure found in the last 3rd of the movie.

By comparison Kiki's climax is maybe a tad too grand in scope for such a down-to-earth movie (the irony of saying this about a movie with witches, but to be clear, I'm talking about its themes).

In the end, I was definitely delighted, but not blown away or awe-struck.

NEXT UP:
I continue my streak of never seen before movies with Only yesterday.

Only Yesterday
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Only Yesterday (1991)

23b790d3b5d0ab560fa34872f2a6a9a7.jpg

Here it is, the movie I knew the absolute least about out of all the movies so far, and what a pleasant surprise it was!
Only Yesterday's subject matter is the recollection of past memories, good and bad, and the struggle to find a place you belong in the world (be it literally or career-wise).
And damn does it personally hit close to home in some instances, both looking back at my childhood and peeking forward into the uncertainty of the future.

Everyone has those less than joyous old memories that sometimes spring back to mind: moments of pettyness, broken dreams or even (in this case mild) trauma; and looking back, it's difficult to say if all of that defines who you are in a discernible way, or you should just brush them aside as embarassing outliers. And don't get me started on the uncertainty of choosing a career, something I'm well familiar with...

I don't know if I'm making a logical point, but in any case, one thing I will say that I didn't like about the movie was how the art and animation portrayed "smile wrinkles".
Look, I get it, it's anatomically sound, but applied on Ghibli's rather (for a lack of a better word) "simple" faces, it's just distracting and takes me out of the movie.

Other than that, Only Yesterday caught me by surprise and delighted me with its relatable themes and charming execution. Pretty underrated if you ask me.

NEXT UP:
We return to Miyazaki's tried and true formula of applying the fantastical to the (sort of) commonplace, with Porco Rosso.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

locandina.jpg
716nIdY1UoL._AC_SL1333_.jpg

One of the only movies solely spearheaded by Miyazaki that I had not seen until now.
Kiki's Delivery Service is a delightful tale about growing up, self-doubt and becoming indipendent... And not much more for me.
Now, this movie does continue the streak set by Totoro of being painfully delightful, but I don't think I can muster to relate 100% to the struggles of a 13 year old girl (that's pretty freaking young don't you think?).
If I had been younger myself I think I would have enjoyed this movie much more, but as it stands, I'm not.

I think I liked Totoro more simply because I can relate to the feeling of admiring nature in an isolated home in the countryside, and appreciating the small, delightful things in life because of first-hand experience. Heck, you might as well throw in the theme of the fear of losing the ones close to you for good measure found in the last 3rd of the movie.

By comparison Kiki's climax is maybe a tad too grand in scope for such a down-to-earth movie (the irony of saying this about a movie with witches, but to be clear, I'm talking about its themes).

In the end, I was definitely delighted, but not blown away or awe-struck.

NEXT UP:
I continue my streak of never seen before movies with Only yesterday.

I think I connected with this movie more as an adult than when I first saw it as a teenager, and my take is that it's intentionally using nostalgia to recall memories from adolescence.

The movie came out in 1989, but it's set in a town that is apparently filled with 1940s style cars and busses and industry. Kiki herself has that red radio that is playing two of the songs featured in the movie by Yumi Arai, which were from the 70s.

So I think there was an intention there to frame this as a look back into childhood, not a movie strictly for 13 year old girls.

But also, I was 13 once, and maybe I wasn't a witch (or maybe I was, you'll never know), but I can relate to the feelings of growing up and experiencing change, taking on responsibilities, becoming independent, and the desire and expectation (for better or worse) to start socializing with other kids.

The ending of the movie is so damn poignant, I mean the whole movie expresses these things in simple terms, but as an adult, that ending - I could better understand what was lost or changed by the end.

Porco Rosso
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Porco Rosso (1992)

5191sevnyXL._AC_.jpg
PORCO_ROSSO_Miya_4ce28244b2094.jpg

From a white alcove of a deserted island in the Adriatic sea, comes out a human-like pig wearing an aviator suit aboard an unspecified crimson seaplane of Italian manufacture (stated to be inspired by the SIAI S.21, but more visually resembling the MACCHI M.33), the plane takes off and soars above the azure sea and into the blue sky.
Yep, that's peak Miyazaki right there.

Porco Rosso feels like the most outspoken Miyazaki has been about his world views yet; a lot of his earlier works carried his philosophies, but never (allegedly, just covering my ass here) had he used a real world context to express himself.
Pacifism, anti-fascism, also feminism to a degree, all held together by the capstone of Miyazaki's deep (but complicated) love for aviation.

And with all of the above, Miyazaki's optimism and talent comes through and creates a disgustingly charming (seriously, how does he do it) movie, that can be enjoyed by all ages, but shines in particular brighter for the more mature.

There is no point in me gushing about almost every facet of the movie, so I'll say this: it's written "Non si fa credito", NOT "Non si fo credito" (No credit allowed). For shame Miyazaki, 0/10, worst movie ever... Actually it's definitely in the TOP 2 so far.

NEXT UP:
I begin my longest streak yet of never-seen-before movies with Ocean Waves.

Ocean Waves
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Kept you waiting huh? Actually I'm on vacation but I managed to sneak in some time to continue the retrospective, and to write my thoughts on my cellphone (so no pretty posters this time).

Ocean Waves (1993)

I knew next to nothing about this movie going into it, but I've gotta say, as with Only Yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised.
Also in line with Only Yesterday we have ourselves a love story, well, more so than the former at least. As a fan of shōnen media I might have comically low expectations for love stories, but I quite enjoyed the story and thought it was quite original and refreshing.

As for visuals, this has got to be the most subdued (and short) movie yet from an animation standpoint, it does employ an interesting visual transition with the white frames, but other than that, the only time I was wowed by the visuals was right at the end, which coupled with the subduedness was probably on purpose, so I can't really fault the movie for that; to be clear it's not bad at all, it's just something I noticed.

One insignificant nitpick I have about the movie lies in the title: Ocean Waves... Ok... But where were they exactly? It just doesn't strike me as a relevant title at all (unless it was so in the source material), but oh well, whatever.

Other than that... Very solid movie if I say so myself, definitely recommended.

NEXT UP:
I take a look at one interesting title to say the least: Pom Poko.
(yeah, pouches...)

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know if I'm making a logical point, but in any case, one thing I will say that I didn't like about the movie was how the art and animation portrayed "smile wrinkles".
Look, I get it, it's anatomically sound, but applied on Ghibli's rather (for a lack of a better word) "simple" faces, it's just distracting and takes me out of the movie.
But they're so old in this movie! They're TWENTY SEVEN....!! 😂

I loooved this movie and think it's really sweet. But yeah there's something very 90s and old school Japanese about having a 27 year old working woman seen almost like a spinster (with laugh wrinkles). Not sure why they opted for it.

OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
But they're so old in this movie! They're TWENTY SEVEN....!! 😂

I loooved this movie and think it's really sweet. But yeah there's something very 90s and old school Japanese about having a 27 year old working woman seen almost like a spinster (with laugh wrinkles). Not sure why they opted for it.
I'm guessing they wanted to experiment with "rendering" semi-realistic 25+ year old faces, and also wanted to highlight the difference between the past and the present, but ended up overcompensating.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I may have missed it but are you watching all the films subbed or dubbed? The Porco Rosso dub with Michael Keeton is so good.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Of the movies covered so far, that's what i have watched:

-Nausicaa: I might get banned for this, but I dont particularly like this movie. It feels kinda loose on all ends, the way things wrapped up wasn't satifactory. Im curious to read the manga eventually and get the complete tale, it might change my opinion on the movie.

-Totoro: Abolsutely delightful, it reeks of good memories and childhood feelings. One thing I love about Ghibli's films is that the adults don't act like jerks in them, they usually act like they have been children once themselves, and so they are more or less like us, the adults who are watching the movie, following the kids living their adventures just like we used to do when we were kids too.

-Kiki: Another great one, simple and delighful. Not much more to say just a wholesome movie with beautifully drawn animation and a great time overall.

-Porco Rosso: I don't... remember much about this one? I watched it about 5 years ago and vaguely remember it's about a very chivalrous guy who is cursed into being a pig, and also pilots airplanes. I liked it alright at the time, and it didn't leave a lasting impression.

Honestly...I think the only one I watched from Ghibli is Kiki's Delivery Service.

Now that I have HBO Max.....I should catch up and watch some of the movies I missed out (eventually all lol).

Do yourself a favor and watch Spirited Away. It's Ghibli's best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I may have missed it but are you watching all the films subbed or dubbed? The Porco Rosso dub with Michael Keeton is so good.
I actually didn't specify, but initially the plan was to watch them in my native language (Italian) because that's how I experienced them in my childhood, but I decided to watch them dubbed in the end.

The main reason I decided that is because apparently the Italian localization is slightly controversial, as in some people criticize it for being far too literal. The same translator (Gualtiero Cannarsi) recently also catched quite some flack for NGE's Italian Netflix localization.

As far as I'm concerned, I had never noticed this when I was young, but to avoid being distracted by this (now permanent) doubt in my mind, I decided to go with the original language, not that I regret it TBH, it's a new experience for me.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm guessing they wanted to experiment with "rendering" semi-realistic 25+ year old faces, and also wanted to highlight the difference between the past and the present, but ended up overcompensating.

Heh very likely. But I should have responded better, since I've really enjoyed your wtite-ups so far! But Only yesterday, Kiki, and Whispers of the Heart are favourites of mine in the Ghibli colelction; there's something incredibly pleasant about the low-stakes stories they play out, but how big realistic life moments can still feel. I'm glad you seem to like a few of them too! :)

He's good, but the real star is Cary Elwes. :P

Pom Poko
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Pom Poko (1994)

Pom Poko is a movie about environmentalism, modernity Vs. tradition, survival and mortality, but it's also really freaking funny. Out of all the movies thus far, Pom Poko has to be the one that got the most laughs out of me.

The main "thing" of the movie is that it's ABSOLUTELY CHOCK-FULL of references to Japanese folklore an myths; thanks to the (small) contact I've had with Japanese media, I did catch a couple of references, but the amount of nods and winks that flew over my head must have been astronomical.

Another thing this movie excels at is the animation, or to be more precise, the amount of imagination and creativity put into, the tanuki's transformation skills are a sublime way for the animators to flex their muscles, and flex they sure do hot damn.

The general feeling of the movie, I don't know how to describe it, kind of reminded me of Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox, I guess I have a thing for movies about a rag-tag group of animals trying to mantain their style of living.

If I had to criticize something I would say that the final part of the movie feels a bit aimless, there's a handful of plot threads that end without much "oomph", I guess?
It's realistic that they didn't go for a feel-good ending, but the lack of finality left me wanting just a bit more.
Oh well, still a very good movie, I think I would put it in the middle of the ranking thus far.

NEXT UP:
I finish my brand-new streak with Whispers of the Heart.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Pom Poko is one that I feel I should return to because I remember it was an interesting and fun movie. Pretty sure at the time I also found it to be middle-quality out of Ghibli's studio output, maybe a little lower but certainly above Tales from Earth Sea (as is every other Ghibli movie imo).

I finish my brand-new streak with Whispers of the Heart.

This is might be one of my top 5 Ghibli. Hope you enjoy it and them country roads hehehehehehe

Whisper of the Heart
OP
OP
JangleLuke

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Whisper of the Heart (1995)

First things first, let me tell you that during the 1st act I had to double-check if I was watching the right movie, because the setup REALLY reminded me of The Cat Returns (another Ghibli movie I haven't watched, but know the basic gist of), and lo and behold: that film is actually a SPINOFF to Whisper of the Heart, so I guess I'll look forward to that in the near future.

Anyway, Whisper of the Heart is a gem, it feels like the most "Ghibli" out of all the movies set in a realistic context thus far, and that's quite the feat for a brand new director for the studio: Yoshifumi Kondō, may he rest in peace.

The movie revolves around bookworm and lo-fi hip hop listening Shizuku Tsukishima, as she struggles with such things as creative purpose and love, the former which I'm very familiar with; I will admit that the surprise side-love triangle made me a bit wary of the second half of the movie, but THANFULLY the public drama waz non-existant, and instead the movie focused on the self-loathing side of things, which I'm thankful for.
The music side of the movie is also disgustingly charming, so much so that I would advise to watch the movie in japanese, also no one can hate Country Roads.

The first 3rd/4th of the movie does feel a bit sluggish, but after a certain point the movie finds its footing and improves quite a lot pacing-wise.

The animation is especially worthy of praise, the animators REALLY flexed their talent muscles for this movie, you can almost see glimpses of the future Studio Ghibli style for the turn of the millennium onward (I got some Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl vibes).

All in all, Whisper of the Heart lands quite nicely in the stronger tier of Ghibli's outings, it has charm, imagination, heart and a good dose of relatability, it's definitely a winner in my book.

NEXT UP:
We arrive to what is the biggest break-trough for the studio thus far (if not ever, boxoffice wise) in the industry: the 2+ hour(!) long Miyazaki epic Princess Mononoke.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
That violin jam session scene man, it's top 5 ghibli content

I'm gonna be spicy and say that I did not like Pom Poko at all, and I kinda feel it was also a rare case of the dub detracting as well.