emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
Although it's my fav of the SF series, I think some of the ways it kinda killed off the series was that it had an entirely new cast of characters except for Ryu and Ken.

I feel like that was their weird attempt at copying the SF2 formula (where the only people that returned from SF1 to SF2 were Ryu, Ken and Sagat). Definitely did not work out short term but I would argue that it may have worked out long term lol.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Although it's my fav of the SF series, I think some of the ways it kinda killed off the series was that it had an entirely new cast of characters except for Ryu and Ken. And coming after previous capcom fighting games, it was way slower, there weren't airblocks or crazy 2 screen high jumps or 80 hit combos. (I'm dating myself lol) But I was there when SF3 first dropped in arcades. It was a gorgeous looking game, nothing was animated or looked like it at the time. But it played like you were fighting in molasses compared to other capcom games. It was a lot for folks to take in. Thats why they bought back Chun Li and Akuma to try and get some of the fans of the familiar back
This is the problem, though. they pivoted a game not meant to be SF into SF, then had to put Ryu and Ken in to not lose people from the location tests. Then we got Akuma in 2I and Chun in 3S.

The thing is, most of us that cared about the game at the time were fine with it not having anyone really be recognizable because it was a different game. It was new, it had new mechanics and it played well. This is what a lot of fan opinion boils down to on it: either you loved that it went somewhere else (and I still wish SF could, at this point) or you hated that your main or whoever was missing. Roster shake-ups really need to be a thing more often, yet we keep falling into them on damned near every series.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You trying to top that Luke thread? I need a drink.
tbh season 1 of sfv felt like a jank ass parryless sf3 with the frame differences between characters and movement advantages some had over others

So yeah I personally felt like sfv felt like sf3 but without the main tool that makes sf3 work lol

It didnt really feel like sfv became it's own game til around season 4 and now it has 0 signs of that origin imo

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Q with the save. Yeah, that local I entered was early 2017. Like I said, I never put any real time into 3S. But my cammy muscle memory of hit confirming her cr hp into CA felt 1 to 1 when I was doing Ken's cr mk into CA.

Maybe I just PLAYED 3S like SFV and it's less of the games being similar. I don't fucking know, man lol. Just my experience.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Early SF5 definitely felt like 3s to me. You can even tell in the early footage that Ryu had SF3 normals, like his c.mk and c.hk.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
3rd Strike nearly killed the franchise? Are you sure about that? Or did you mean Street Fighter III: New Generation?
No it was third strike that did, not only did in underperform by every metric (even competitively to begin with) but it was the last mainline street fighter to be released until SF4 (if you don't count stuff like handheld re-releases of alpha 3 and stuff). Its also the only mainline street fighter series (not including 1) to sell less than a million copies.

This idea I see floating around that Third Strike is the most popular street fighter game isn't true, at least outside of the competitive scene

edit - to put in perspective alpha 3 came out over a year after new generation and sold a million copies

But I don't want to get all negative Nancy on a post celebrating SF3. I love Third Strike, it has brilliant character designs, a banging soundtrack, some of the best sprite work in the scene and it's a treat to both play and watch

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Still my fav fighter of all time. Got a lot of tracks from the OST in my Spotify video game playlist that I listen to almost every day.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
No it was third strike that did, not only did in underperform by every metric (even competitively to begin with) but it was the last mainline street fighter to be released until SF4 (if you don't count stuff like handheld re-releases of alpha 3 and stuff). Its also the only mainline street fighter series (not including 1) to sell less than a million copies.

This idea I see floating around that Third Strike is the most popular street fighter game isn't true, at least outside of the competitive scene

edit - to put in perspective alpha 3 came out over a year after new generation and sold a million copies

But I don't want to get all negative Nancy on a post celebrating SF3. I love Third Strike, it has brilliant character designs, a banging soundtrack, some of the best sprite work in the scene and it's a treat to both play and watch
My understanding has always been that after III NG, people were just done with the III series on the whole. In other words, TS was a victim of NG. People still enjoyed the Alpha series which is why it continued to do well.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
sf3 got fucked over from being CPS3 when consoles were not ready for CPS3 and by being stale as shit compared to all the other fighters coming out at the time

3rd strike got fucked over for similar yet different reasons and ended up being overshadowed 2 years later by the craziness of CvS2

SF3 finally picked up some traction in the west with the evo moment and the release of this

59351_front.jpg

Which was helped by the release of the best fighting game strategy guide to ever exist as well
M8X6s5n.png

Last edited:

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
My understanding has always been that after III NG, people were just done with the III series on the whole. In other words, TS was a victim of NG. People still enjoyed the Alpha series which is why it continued to do well.
Oh, I thought you meant series as in the whole of the Street Fighter series, with regards strictly to SF3 I'm not too sure, its possible that NG left a sour taste in peoples mouths

Negaduck

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I'd never see that 'play third strike' video again.

What a great day. 3s is the best.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
My favorite Street Fighter game, and it still amazes me how good and timeless the whole package is: the gameplay, the atmosphere, the 2D art, the competitive scene, everything about it. A true sequel to Street Fighter 2.

You know what, my impossible dream game would be a special updated version of 3rd Strike maintaining its style and adding cool stuff like a feel characters, optional balance (old and new), new stages, soundtracks, trials mode, world tour like Alpha 3 (utilizing the system direction stuff for some fun challenges). Something akin to what Capcom did with Megaman 9 and 10, a true tribute to the legacy of the game while bringing new stuff to the table at the same time.

Those SFV sprites in 3rd Strike style always kept me wondering about this "dream game":

FMIImGMWQAAZk6R

(those amazing new sprites were made by Reluu)

Long live 3rd Strike!

Oct 25, 2017
tbh season 1 of sfv felt like a jank ass parryless sf3 with the frame differences between characters and movement advantages some had over others

So yeah I personally felt like sfv felt like sf3 but without the main tool that makes sf3 work lol

It didnt really feel like sfv became it's own game til around season 4 and now it has 0 signs of that origin imo
Yep, parries are what make any character potentially lethal in SF3. It's the great equalizer in terms of anything aside from the 3 absolute top tier characters, and even then we've seen some absolutely crazy shit pulled off. The game would be a wreck without them, yet here we are, celebrating the GOAT.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
sf3 got fucked over from being CPS3 when consoles were not ready for CPS3 and by being stale as shit compared to all the other fighters coming out at the time

3rd strike got fucked over for similar yet different reasons and ended up being overshadowed 2 years later by the craziness of CvS2

SF3 finally picked up some traction in the west with the evo moment and the release of this

59351_front.jpg

Which was helped by the release of the best fighting game strategy guide to ever exist as well
M8X6s5n.png
Ive dabbled in fighting games since snes SF2 but man SF 15th anniversary collection is what made me fell in love with the genre.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Man, 3S is my favorite fighting game of all time. The art, the music, the fighting mechanics ask gelled together to create an unforgettable experience.

Parries may have turned everything into a potential mix-up, but it allowed for some of the hypest moments in fgc history. The Diago parry is legendary, and one of the formative moments that brought many into the FGC, including myself.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Best fighting game ever and it also has the best version of my fave character - Ken.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Easily my favourite Street Fighter game and one of my favourite fighters ever. Absolutely incredible game.