• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krabardaf

Jun 12, 2019
Lmao you are so wrong the fact is not everyone wants a million subscriptions also some areas have frequent internet drops we will see tho
Meh, people said that for every streaming service. I like buying my games and having copies, I even still buy music files(only because I DJ though). But see what happens when you offer virtually all relevant music/movies for next to nothing. There's no reason to think video games will be magically exempt from that trend. Just look at how everyone has fully embraced dematerialized games despite huge resitance on GAF and other communities. I can still remember the meltdown with Half Life 2 and Steam, now look where we're at.

Era is probably not a good judge on the matter to be honest, 95%+ gamers are nowhere as invested or hardcore as people here. They will get what they want: often only a couple of games, sometimes even just one, for a small or possibly inexistant investment, + no 70$ price tag attached for games. I don't think they will think long. It's just a matter of having a good system correctly marketed now. Internet is plenty fast in most first world cities, and will keep getting better. 5G is around the corner too. I don't think it's gonna take long, and I don't think traditional consoles/PC will be left with a majority market share in 7-8 year, probably even less.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Replacing the old copper infrastructure -if it even existed in the first place- with fiber is very expensive.
Wireless is significantly cheaper, faster to install, and 5G offers up to gigabit speeds with reasonably low latency - which makes it suitable for replacing a home connection.

I agree with you that games being hardware-exclusive is bad, but I think you're greatly under-estimating the challenges that streaming faces. They are not solved problems and even under the best conditions are not comparable to playing locally.
Ever since Steam Link was released on iOS I've been trying it out on my iPad Pro. That's a local 5GHz stream with a 40% higher bit-rate than the maximum Stadia is going to offer, using a higher quality encoder.
While it looks good, it's clearly not the same as something running locally - even at 11".
Though latency is not bad, it's definitely noticeable even though it's running at 120Hz - and Stadia is only going to offer 60Hz streaming.

If you're a casual console gamer that only has one system, buys two or three games a year, and sits far back from the TV, sure, streaming might be a better solution when there's no upfront cost.
I could certainly see it as an alternative to buying secondary systems though. I'd much rather buy the one or two Sony exclusives which interest me on PS Now than having to buy a console. If I could stream Animal Crossing without having to buy a Switch, I'd probably do it.
But it's not going to replace my main system, and I'd prefer the option of running those games locally if they were available on systems that I owned.

I'm not happy with NVIDIA's pricing either, but there's absolutely no need to buy the highest-end GPUs for gaming.

It will be really interesting to see how Stadia's "60 FPS" claims hold up.
I'm sure the stream will be 60 FPS, but the games themselves? I'm not convinced - especially not once next-gen games are released.
The quality of the free-tier 1080p stream is unknown at this point too. Stadia Pro's 1080p streams appear to be ~20 Mbps but I expect "Base" streams to be ≤15 Mbps.

It is absolutely what corporations want. They don't want consumers to have any control over media.
And yes, convenience wins for most people, if the cost is the same or minimally different - in the short term.
People here may not have been paying attention, as the forum is largely console-focused, but PC game prices have increased significantly this generation as companies stop producing retail copies, shut down key activation, and lock down who can sell their games now to gain stricter control over pricing.
Just wait until digital is your only option. Things are going to be bad if you're price-sensitive.

The obvious example would be: what if you could play PS5 games on your PS4 via streaming without having to buy hardware?
Or you only had to download an app on your Smart TV.

Yeah I'm a bit skeptical about the actual rendering power that will be devoted to the game. But I guess time will tell.

As for latency issues, after trying GeForce Now, I think latency is a total non issue for anyone but competitive kb/m players. The latency with a 120fps stream doesn't feel too far off regular 60fps with triple buffered vsync. It's certainly enough for me to notice in something like Counter-Strike, but with a game pad the lag is not apparent whatsoever. And we can expect Stadia to be better than that in all likelihood.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, people said that for every streaming service. I like buying my games and having copies, I even still buy music files(only because I DJ though). But see what happens when you offer virtually all relevant music/movies for next to nothing. There's no reason to think video games will be magically exempt from that trend. Just look at how everyone has fully embraced dematerialized games despite huge resitance on GAF and other communities.

Era is probably not a good judge on the matter to be honest, 95%+ gamers are nowhere as invested or hardcore as people here. They will get what they want: often only a couple of games, sometimes even just one, for a small or possibly inexistant investment, + no 70$ price tag attached for games. I don't think they will think long. It's just a matter of having a good system correctly marketed now. Internet is plenty fast in most first world cities, and will keep getting better. 5G is around the corner too. I don't think it's gonna take long, and I don't think traditional consoles/PC will be left with a majority market share in 7-8 year, probably even less.

F2P games currently dominate and publishers are starting to push or inscription bard GaaS. We're going to see a major shift away from purchasing games outright. Streaming fits into this model perfectly.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The shift will only happen if consumers accept it. I expect they will for MP but not SP.

The only way this would be a good thing is if this is what finally turns red state America against ISPs and makes them as popular as tobacco companies, but that isn't happening in the US. We'll end up paying more money for less service, just like american ISPs want it.

investments in new internet infrastructure have been cut in half during Trump's time thanks to Ajit Pai.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Meh, people said that for every streaming service. I like buying my games and having copies, I even still buy music files(only because I DJ though). But see what happens when you offer virtually all relevant music/movies for next to nothing. There's no reason to think video games will be magically exempt from that trend. Just look at how everyone has fully embraced dematerialized games despite huge resitance on GAF and other communities. I can still remember the meltdown with Half Life 2 and Steam, now look where we're at.

But it's not bext to nothing you still have to buy games?

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I mean can only speak for myself but my two current subs are GP Ultimate and GameFly. Granted I got GP Ultimate until April 2022 for like 100 bucks (Gold and GP deals and the 1dollar Ultimate upgrade) but for conversation wise let's just say I'm paying the full price now for ultimate at 15 per month. GameFly is 15 a month. So by the math this would mean 30 a month or 360 a year or basically 6 full priced games a year.

This year alone I've played and beat dozens and dozens of games on GP and looking at the rest of this year:
2019 Games
- COD MW (Gamefly)
- Outer Worlds (GP)
- Gears 5 (GP)
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (GameFly)
- Ghost Recon (Gamefly)
- Control (GameFly)
Even if you didn't count all the games on gold, GP console or GP PC, the rest of the calendar year alone would justify the cost.

Next year so far:
2020 Games
- Ori Will of the Wisp (GP)
- Minecraft Dungeons (GP)
- Cyberpunk 2077 (Gamefly)
- Halo Infinite (GP)
- Doom Eternal (GameFly)
- Watch Dogs Legion (Game Fly)

So not counting anything else coming to GP on Xbox or PC or games with gold or other unannounced games for 2020 I'm already about to break even.

And again this isn't counting all the other great games I'm getting with GP like Outer Wilds, Void Basterds, My Time at Portia, Undertale, Slay the Spire, hollow knight, metro exodus etc etc

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Why are some people so gung ho on streaming?? I mean who wants to stream a video game that has delicate things like fps and latency...and lets not forget visual fidelity as well. I tried that shit on PS Now and it looked and played bad

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Tell that to the ppl that sell the games after they beat them. Especially when streaming games are the same price as physical ones. Digital games in my country are actually more expensive than physical games so its crazy to think i would ever go digital only, much less streaming only.

Physical stores while have a recomended price they compete with many other stores doing more promos and lowering the price of release games. Once u take out that option, ur stuck in a company monopoly.

Krabardaf

Jun 12, 2019
But it's not bext to nothing you still have to buy games?
Sorry i'm not referencing the Google offer directly. I'm assuming someone will be able to push on the market a true subscription based system at some point. If it runs on any laptop this would be even more huge. I think such a solution will be important for widespread success, but even without, streaming can already be very attractive for price conscious, non hardcore gamer. It's always about bangs for your bucks in the end IMHO.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh really, like how it's going to take a lot longer for movie/music/TV... oh wait, you mean streaming is already the dominant form of consumption in all other mature media and the only reason gaming is still behind is because of a) technological barriers that are rapidly being torn down and b) stubborn console makers that refuse to embrace a console-less future and let their diehard crowds defend them relentlessly online? The technology is here, and it's only a matter of years, not decades, before streaming a game feels as natural as playing a game on a console. Look ahead, not backward.
It's a matter of the isp but not only that technology is not only there, game streaming is totally different than music and movies.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Sorry i'm not referencing the Google offer directly. I'm assuming someone will be able to push on the market a true subscription based system at some point. If it runs on any laptop this would be even more huge. I think such a solution will be important for widespread success, but even without, streaming can already be very attractive for price conscious, non hardcore gamer. It's always about bangs for your bucks in the end IMHO.
The issue with that would be pricing tho if you do a true to life Netflix style the pricing will be high no way a service like that can make it on 10 or 20 a month

Aug 9, 2018
Some of these comparisons are forgetting that consoles age. After seven years the console you bought on launch day is a fossil. Whereas Google, in order to deliver the performance they promise, will have to continually upgrade their servers. Seven years after the PS5 launch, Stadia won't be running games like a console from seven years ago.

What is their promise beyond difference in resolution and audio between the free version and the pro? Have they mentioned if games will run at the maximum settings graphically for every game?

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The biggest issue I have with Stadia is Google's track record with killing off their products which leads me to believe that Stadia won't last long so why would I invest in that ecosystem?

100% my biggest concern, even over data caps. Just the fact that PS5 is backwards compatible guarantees an eventual purchase from me. And it won't be day one, either. Google will kill Stadia in less than a console generation, like they do essentially everything else that isn't immediately successful

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Im not paying 60 euros for unsellable streaming version of game.
MP streaming wont be possible anytime soon.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
See you didn't factor in my data cap costs.

I also resell lots of games, share with friends, bring consoles/computer to play games locally in areas with spotty internet etc. Lots of issues.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
For the average parent who might not want to spend $500 on a console among games and extras, it will be. However, for people who are not seeking to be economical and are more enthusiast about their gaming then this is pretty much a nonstarter outside of playing when you're traveling or something.

Jun 4, 2019
It's a matter of the isp but not only that technology is not only there, game streaming is totally different than music and movies.
"Streaming movies? That's a totally different beast than streaming just sound."

Technology evolves very fast. All of this arguing is moot anyway because the technology provably exists. The only matter now is optimization for all conditions.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these comparisons are forgetting that consoles age. After seven years the console you bought on launch day is a fossil. Whereas Google, in order to deliver the performance they promise, will have to continually upgrade their servers. Seven years after the PS5 launch, Stadia won't be running games like a console from seven years ago.
it's not that simple. You have to ask yourself what incentives streaming platform owners have to push the performance. And just because the hardware sits in a data center doesn't make it free. Unlike most web servers that can be made useful globally this gaming hardware will sit almost unused for large chunks of the day.
In addition there isn't that much evidence supporting the idea that high-end graphics are driving consumer gaming purchases. If streaming "wins" it won't be because of better graphics.

Anyway it's not like console makers are without options. They could go back to aggressively subsidizing hardware but with more reliable funding from subscription services. One thing I'm hoping for is a push toward low-latency tv-tech which could make local games feel snappier and better than what's possible with streaming.

Last edited:

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Greed will kill game streaming services just as it's already beginning to hurt movie/tv streaming services. Everyone and their uncles want to have their own streaming service (just like cable channels).

Eventually there is going to be like 10-20 game streaming services. Maybe not at first but eventually you will have something like:

Microsoft Gamepass
Sony PlayStation NOW
EA
Activision
Ubisoft
ETC
Some smaller indie ones, etc.

I'll stick to physical when possible and digital downloads myself.

Nov 21, 2017
Stadia will be an interesting experiment, but I just don´t see it succeeding amidst such strong brands as PlayStation ( here in Finland Sony has a very strong foothold on gamers - casuals and hardcore alike ). Seeing that PS5 will be backwards compatible, it is a must-buy for me, and I am very skeptic about game-streaming future in general. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how well Stadia does, even though I will not be an adopter.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
My biggest problem with game streaming is that I dont have control over the game files. I play at 21:9 (3440x1440). Sometimes I have to do some tinkering to get games to look the way I want them. If I cant do that with stadia its unusable for me. Same goes for mods and community fixes of (old) games. I dont want to live in a world where I can not install the amazing HD mod for RE4 on PC or play the crazy nuts MP of Just Cause 2. But to be more on topic, I wonder if google will do sales and such for the games.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it's more economical right now (and I am suspicious of that in the long term as I feel a lot of these companies are loss-leading on these services until they can kill local hardware) centralising things online is just a really stupid idea in general. You're asking for trouble with network congestion, angry customers during downtime, and queues to use the service at peak periods. And those are just the immediate issues that come to mind.

Compute should be on the edge of the network, especially the more latency sensitive stuff. If we found ourselves in a situation where we were centralising all our compute in the network, the people doing that would want to abstract it to the edge just to take the cost burden off of themselves, especially if they are dependent on a fickle consumer base that would subscribe and unsubscribe at whim. That kind of consumer behaviour is probably just about viable for content delivery services like Netflix, Game Pass, Spotify and so on, where subscribers merely download content to their device, which then does all the legwork of actually playing it. Is it also viable when the actual difficult computing legwork is done remotely too?

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After watching the Phil Spencer interview with Jeff Gerstmann this E3 regarding streaming, I'm pretty confident streaming won't be replacing hardware for a very long time to come.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
And in that process you lose any kind of ownership. And that is basically what publishers want in the end. You will accept what they serve to you or you are not playing that game.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Why are some people so gung ho on streaming?? I mean who wants to stream a video game that has delicate things like fps and latency...and lets not forget visual fidelity as well. I tried that shit on PS Now and it looked and played bad

PS Now and Google Stadia are incredibly different experiences. I was a skeptic due to my experience with PS Now until I got into the stadia beta. Now I am a true believer. It is a night and day difference.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
Replacing the old copper infrastructure -if it even existed in the first place- with fiber is very expensive.
Wireless is significantly cheaper, faster to install, and 5G offers up to gigabit speeds with reasonably low latency - which makes it suitable for replacing a home connection.

I agree with you that games being hardware-exclusive is bad, but I think you're greatly under-estimating the challenges that streaming faces. They are not solved problems and even under the best conditions are not comparable to playing locally.
Ever since Steam Link was released on iOS I've been trying it out on my iPad Pro. That's a local 5GHz stream with a 40% higher bit-rate than the maximum Stadia is going to offer, using a higher quality encoder.
While it looks good, it's clearly not the same as something running locally - even at 11".
Though latency is not bad, it's definitely noticeable even though it's running at 120Hz - and Stadia is only going to offer 60Hz streaming.

If you're a casual console gamer that only has one system, buys two or three games a year, and sits far back from the TV, sure, streaming might be a better solution when there's no upfront cost.
I could certainly see it as an alternative to buying secondary systems though. I'd much rather buy the one or two Sony exclusives which interest me on PS Now than having to buy a console. If I could stream Animal Crossing without having to buy a Switch, I'd probably do it.
But it's not going to replace my main system, and I'd prefer the option of running those games locally if they were available on systems that I owned.

I'm not happy with NVIDIA's pricing either, but there's absolutely no need to buy the highest-end GPUs for gaming.

It will be really interesting to see how Stadia's "60 FPS" claims hold up.
I'm sure the stream will be 60 FPS, but the games themselves? I'm not convinced - especially not once next-gen games are released.
The quality of the free-tier 1080p stream is unknown at this point too. Stadia Pro's 1080p streams appear to be ~20 Mbps but I expect "Base" streams to be ≤15 Mbps.

It is absolutely what corporations want. They don't want consumers to have any control over media.
And yes, convenience wins for most people, if the cost is the same or minimally different - in the short term.
People here may not have been paying attention, as the forum is largely console-focused, but PC game prices have increased significantly this generation as companies stop producing retail copies, shut down key activation, and lock down who can sell their games now to gain stricter control over pricing.
Just wait until digital is your only option. Things are going to be bad if you're price-sensitive.

The obvious example would be: what if you could play PS5 games on your PS4 via streaming without having to buy hardware?
Or you only had to download an app on your Smart TV.

It's hard to answer because I'm the kind of person who wants to get the best hardware possible. I bought a Pro and an X and a 4K TV to play games. Streaming would be a cool novelty for sure but not something I would use over a console.

Someone on the other side who doesn't even buy games or own a console isn't likely to be swayed either

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Streaming is like 3D in tvs you can make it look like is the future but in the end it does not improve or solve any of the real user needs around the medium. So yeah no.

Oct 27, 2017
No, it won't.

New $60 AAA releases won't be in $10 subs. So the same game costs still exist unless you want to wait 12-24 months to play games, whenever they make enough money to justify taking less on a service

And the ISP cost factors into it. Low income families want to buy consoles as gifts, games and trade them in too. So $30-$40 per month for decent speeds minimum, times 60 months is $1,800. But you'll have internet anyway right?

Well if you're internet is out or a game is delisted then you can't even access your $60 streaming purchase, let alone receive them as gifts.

I really think people are over hyping streaming as the future of games.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
A 400-500 dollar console isn't an unreachable target that the cost of this hardware alone will keep people away for streaming instead.

We are talking about 400 dollars, not 4000 dollars for a console.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss something? I thought you had to buy latest games at full price irrespective of whether streaming or not.

EDIT: Reading the first page, many people pointed it out but OP seems to have ignored them all. I think he/she genuinely didn't know that you have to buy latest games to play even at 1080p.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always thought it would make a lot of sense for companies to give away more stuff for less money which is totally something that happens all the time.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine I'll be a retro-only gamer if streaming is the future. It would be one thing if the tech worked like magic, but networking+software are things I have too much familiarity with to believe Google's claims. Internet infrastructure just isn't going to be there, edge nodes is an obvious last mile problem waiting to happen, and paying to "buy" games locked to a streaming service is something I don't ideologically agree with.

That said, I'm not worried. Google will discontinue stadia in a few years and MS/sony will happily use that market failure to keep their existing business model.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The 1080p option costs nothing and let's you play the latest games at a capped resolution of 1080p (which base consoles can barely do), that is extremely economical if all you care about is playing games
You are mistaken. You still need to buy the games at full price. Same price as digital or physical games. The only cash u save is in the console purchase but u get the worst gaming experience for that. And the money you can save by selling/ buying / borrowing used physical games make a much bigger saving than the initial 500$ of a new console.

Krabardaf

Jun 12, 2019
The issue with that would be pricing tho if you do a true to life Netflix style the pricing will be high no way a service like that can make it on 10 or 20 a month
It's true that it still has to happen, It's also true that greed from multiple companies could make it hard to happen. I don't hope for streaming tbh, but it seems like it's coming for sure, and if it manages to deliver better value for a good enough experience on most popular games, I still believe it will eventually become the most popular option. There's good arguments in this topic! It seems true to me that marketing and pricing will be the hardest part.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
The talk about streaming always makes me feel asleep. It has been touted "teh future" for so long, but it still hasnt happened..
You are mistaken. You still need to buy the games at full price. Same price as digital or physical games. The only cash u save is in the console purchase but u get the worst gaming experience for that. And the money you can save by selling/ buying / borrowing used physical games make a much bigger saving than the initial 500$ of a new console.
Talk about value...

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
How was the online community on Onlive? Better hope crossplay comes fast if you like mutiplayer.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Your calculation is based on the assumption that google will keep the price at 10$/mo for premium for the next 5-10 years. This isnt happening. It'll rise after 3 years im willing to bet. Even if you did purchase it at 10 today and stacked some years worth of subs that still is a huge upfront cost(600$ for 5 years) making purchasing a console much cheaper in comparison.

Only time will tell how it will all unfold.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yea, I can't fuck with Stadia. It's one thing to not own the physical games. It's another to not even own the hardware (in the traditional sense). I'm not interested in making that jump, even if my data caps allowed for it. For me, Stadia is dead in the womb. That said, I'm sure there's a market of some sort for it; I'm just not sure what kinds of games that the audience buying into Stadia are looking for. Surely people looking for AAA graphics and experiences are core gamers and would be more likely to continue to purchase consoles and PCs, no? And it's not like the cost of gaming is really rising. Consoles are likely to be in the usual price range for newGen hardware, PC gaming has rarely been cheaper with memory prices collapsing, AMD CPUs on fire and GPUs across all price points able to deliver 1080p/60. If console gaming was rising towards $1000 for new consoles, I'd feel differently but we're not there.

It's interesting and I'll be looking forward to looking at the analytics and demographics that it ends up resonating most with. You have to have some significant privilege to live in the US and have access speeds and data caps flexible enough to seriously entertain this, and I'd have to think every day would be an anxious one as if the ISP is having issues, you can't play. The load here for an online game is just vastly different than the load required for a normal game on your end and I assume far more sensitive. On the worst days, you can always play something offline with a console or PC. This is like...nope.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
I am all with you op. I will use stadia for multiplat/pc-blockbuster games like cyberpunk and play exclusives on my switch or ps4.
I do not play online games (so lag is not a huge problem) and I am not interested in owning my games at all. Roughly i play around 7-10 games per year, I do not have the time to play more. A service that lets me play the newest stuff in high quality without getting a 400€ graphic card every few years is perfect for me. I need my internet subscription anyway, so I do not see that as an additional monthly cost like some people do in this thread. Probably I will get stadia as soon as it is out in Germany and will get the ps5 then if it has enough exclusives that at warrant the buy some years after release.

exaByte

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Streaming games is something I will try ONLY when on business trips or vacations...I am much more inclined to buy a high-end PC than buying games on streaming platforms that can and some of them will go extinct.