Oct 27, 2017
At least this is a different approach to scam gamer gear

So are you going to rub these skin care products in your eyes to protect them from blue light or?

Possibly skin damage too, seems like shes not just pulling shit out of her arse:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Can Light Emitted from Smartphone Screens and Taking Selfies Cause Premature Aging and Wrinkles?

Since the early days of human life on the Earth, our skin has been exposed to different levels of light. Recently, due to inevitable consequences of modern life, humans are not exposed to adequate levels of natural light during the day but they are overexposed ...

This whole backlash smacks of misogyny.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Possibly skin damage too, seems like shes not just pulling shit out of her arse:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Can Light Emitted from Smartphone Screens and Taking Selfies Cause Premature Aging and Wrinkles?

Since the early days of human life on the Earth, our skin has been exposed to different levels of light. Recently, due to inevitable consequences of modern life, humans are not exposed to adequate levels of natural light during the day but they are overexposed ...

If there is actual, well documented evidence that this is a widespread phenomenon that is in need of some sort of solution then I will rescind my previous statements.

That being said, I don't think you can fault people for being reasonably skeptical about an influencer using their status to well, influence people into buying a product that they make money off of to solve an issue most have never heard of, especially given the long standing history of other influencers, men and women alike, especially in the gaming space, trying to scam vulnerable individuals, usually children, out of their money.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Some people: "It's okay to trick gamers as long as they're stupid enough to pay for it."

Same people: "Don't call her a scammer just because she's making money."

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with her. I hate Blue Light, its fuckin harsh. Eye damage, sleep disruption.

I hope the EU mandates all screens have a Night mode.
I wonder if this gets sold in the EU. ECHA won't be happy about objectively fake health claims on products.

FYI, it is objectively false that blue light creates free radicals (or is a type of free radical, as the grammar free implies). The photons don't have enough energy. I fucking hate it when people use real science terms in their pseudoscience bullshit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If there is actual, well documented evidence that this is a widespread phenomenon that is in need of some sort of solution then I will rescind my previous statements.

That being said, I don't think you can fault people for being reasonably skeptical about an influencer using their status to well, influence people into buying a product that they make money off of to solve an issue most have never heard of, especially given the long standing history of other influencers, men and women alike, especially in the gaming space, trying to scam vulnerable individuals, usually children, out of their money.

Doesnt matter if the science does or doesnt pan out on this. She's launching a skincare line based on something.

I have access to my Universities library system I'll do a proper search for papers later. But that's beside the point. I've noticed typical womens concerns dismissed far more quickly by guys, this thread, and the general reaction, being a case in point.

However the skincare/cosmetics industry havent done themselves any favours either with the amount of bull they try and peddle. So I understand the scepticism to some extent.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Some people: "It's okay to trick gamers as long as they're stupid enough to pay for it."

Same people: "Don't call her a scammer just because she's making money."

Creating a fake problem then selling the solution in a already horrible industry, that preys on the self esteem of women and young girls is ok cause #girlboss.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

So I read this article.
It's kinda bullshit.

It doesn't differentiate between ultraviolet and blue light.

It quotes a journalist's article about how blue light is bad for you.

There's no research and it reads like the quality of a first year undergraduate's essay.

Also the article is about LED camera flashes being worse than Xenon ones. Not displays.

If you want to protect your skin from "blue light" there is a very effective set of creams called sun cream.
Designed to block the significantly higher and more dangerous UV light from the sun.

If you're afraid of boue light into your eyes, you can buy even a clear pair of glasses with a UV blocking coating.

If she's not selling suncream, then this is a scam.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
come buy my protective wards, friends

Glycerin.gif

this gloopy schlamp
a mere 4 diamonds
it protects from dwarven pox-curses

Sodium.gif

the illusive dualvarnish
rub this on any bodypart and it gets so fuckin green
baby puke green
8 euros

Niacinamide.gif

space station silicon valley
this n64 game is bugged but its the only game my mom would let me rent from Movie Gallery this week
$15 a month

Glycolic.gif

water
water, just fucking water
i dunno, a buck? it's just water

Caffeine.gif

coop-cain
10 gold per gram
party with friends any days of the week, stay up all night, its the 80s what else are you doing on a thursday

Sea-Water.gif

backscratcher
feels great on your back, butt, and toes
seven fantasy drops

Prickly-Pear.gif

this came out of me
it doesnt look normal, should i see my doctor about this?

RE3.gif

RICE-A-RONI
THE SAN FRANCISCO TREAT
$1.83 per pkg

Shea-Butter.gif

dragon sperm
put this in a pile of gold and a baby dragon comes out
costs 1 pile of gold​

I will take 5 of each orb and 3 of each spiky/glob-like item.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Saks fifth avenue is trying to scam gamers too

www.saksfifthavenue.com

Chantecaille Blue Light Protection Hyaluronic Serum

Free shipping and returns are available on Chantecaille Blue Light Protection Hyaluronic Serum at Saks Fifth Avenue. Browse luxury Chantecaille Face Oils, Serums & Essences and other new arrivals.

I (now) hate the blue light claims, but that's actually a good example of a decent product. Even though blue light emitted from an LCD screen likely has extremely minimal effects on aging, what someone would really be worried about is brown spots, tired looking skin, pre-mature wrinkles, and free radical damage. The linked product is filled to the brim with humectants, antioxidants, and amino acids.

Valkyrae's stuff is filled with moisturizers and skin soothers. Like... It doesn't even come close to meeting its claims. Like, if Valkyrae came out with the stuff linked above and slapped a new label on it, this wouldn't be a story.

Oct 25, 2017
I (now) hate the blue light claims, but that's actually a good example of a decent product. Even though blue light emitted from an LCD screen likely has extremely minimal effects on aging, what someone would really be worried about is brown spots, tired looking skin, pre-mature wrinkles, and free radical damage. The linked product is filled to the brim with humectants, antioxidants, and amino acids.

Valkyrae's stuff is filled with moisturizers and skin soothers. Like... It doesn't even come close to meeting its claims. Like, if Valkyrae came out with the stuff linked above and slapped a new label on it, this wouldn't be a story.
Absolutely! The angry gamers in her twitter mentions are just upset that there aren't enough humectants in her products. Gamers can't get enough humectants

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how normalized this stuff is in the beauty & skincare industry. Just a new demographic of women to take advantage of.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely! The angry gamers in her twitter mentions are just upset that there aren't enough humectants in her products. Gamers can't get enough humectants

What I'm saying is: If this was a good product, no one would be talking about it in this way. It'd be on blogs, they'd pay to have it in Allure, they'd pay for advertorials in gaming publications, etc.

Shoot, if she didn't even ride so hard with the Blue Light stuff, no one would be talking about it in this way.

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is: If this was a good product, no one would be talking about it in this way. It'd be on blogs, they'd pay to have it in Allure, they'd pay for advertorials in gaming publications, etc.

Shoot, if she didn't even ride so hard with the Blue Light stuff, no one would be talking about it in this way.
I agree with the second part, but I think you're the only person involved in this discussion that has been knowledgable enough to speak about the quality of the product (outside of the blue light claims).

If it had the same formula as the stuff from Saks I think it would have gotten the same response, in other words.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda just sounds like a skin care product to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but a lot of these sort of beauty product seem to sketchy at best and wrapped in misinformation.

My first assumption on seeing the title would be that it would be a situation where they only provided products for white people.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It must be so tiring to be a woman and in any way in a prominent position in this medium.

Oct 27, 2017

You know that's bull right? Like the gamers reaction here was based on what was in her cream and not that is was skincream for gamers by a woman gamer?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's okay to point out the fact that this is a scam while also recognizing that there some people getting abnormally riled up due to misogyny while being fine with much more harmful scams from other male streamers (all the crypto bullshit is far worse in my opinion).

That being said, I think the Blue Light stuff was a stupid gimmick instead of just attaching the products to the person in question since they're really popular.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Saw a big thread on OTV subreddit. Her own fans are disappointed
She would have been positively supported with this skincare stuff if it was just advertised without the blue light
And successfully sell it

I think this is going to hound her just like JoshOG with his CSGO scam for years to come

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's literally just a generic skincare product. There are millions of those out there. Why are we jumping on her?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The smooth skin bandit returns with yet another ruse to leave people with wonderfully smooth and soft skin.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This kind of reminds me of those overpriced Monster HDMI cables which advertise "less signal degradation" or some bullshit.

Or there's a bunch of audiophile gear out there like this. It's all a way to scam ignorant people. I can't believe we even have people defending this here.
It's literally just a generic skincare product. There are millions of those out there. Why are we jumping on her?
Because its entire marketing is based on a bullshit reason that doesn't exist?

Most skincare I'm aware of has concrete reasons for its existence like "moisturizes dry skin" or "protects against UV". There wouldn't be an issue if it was being marketed as a moisturizer or whatever. The issue is the fabricated reason for its existence.

Snake oil should be called out whenever possible. Why is it ok to profit on people's ignorance? There's some fucked up attitudes in this thread.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Bet you could pull up 50 bro streamers doing NFT or gambling site scams in 10 minutes, but some lady puts a marketing angle on some moisturizer and gamers pop a blood vessel
I remember streamers being in the news plenty of times for running gambling scams. Are we popping a blood vessel for reporting on this and commenting? I don't think so. The OP doesn't cover the sexists losing their shit over this so maybe we've missed an angle that you're witnessing.

DigiDom

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know who she is but I don't see what the problem is, she's not even the first market this kind of product. Looking at the ingredients list it seems like alright stuff for the price. Y'all are taking this way too seriously. This on the same level deceptiveness as the rest of the cosmetics industry aka marketing. I don't see anyone complaining when streamers are promoting gfuel that also has similar dubious claims.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This kind of reminds me of those overpriced Monster HDMI cables which advertise "less signal degradation" or some bullshit.

Or there's a bunch of audiophile gear out there like this. It's all a way to scam ignorant people. I can't believe we even have people defending this here.

Because its entire marketing is based on a bullshit reason that doesn't exist?

Most skincare I'm aware of has concrete reasons for its existence like "moisturizes dry skin" or "protects against UV". There wouldn't be an issue if it was being marketed as a moisturizer or whatever. The issue is the fabricated reason for its existence.

Snake oil should be called out whenever possible. Why is it ok to profit on people's ignorance? There's some fucked up attitudes in this thread.
I'm asking why are people jumping on her. There are bazillions of products out there that have way more ridiculous claims and make way more money then this will ever make. Blue light skincare products have been on the market for years now.

So are you interested in tackling the issues of the skincare industry or is it just this single instance of her doing it that is bothering you.

This reeks of gamer misogyny disguised as ethics in the skincare industry. Give me a break.

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
making a skincare line, for what she or her business partners think is an opportunity. If it is? Great, she makes money. If it's not, the market decides.

but to cast it as some scam is silly.
It's a scam lol.

Selling a product that doesnt do anything is a scam. People who sell scams are scammers. It's really quite simple.

Now with that out of the way if anyone is looking for some high quality Shungite rocks DM me.😅

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So are you interested in tackling the issues of the skincare industry or is it just this single instance of her doing it that is bothering you.
Yeah, I don't think gamers and streamers are there to "tackle the issues of the skincare industry".
They know her and they know it's a scam, that's why she's getting attention. Not that hard to understand.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This reeks of gamer misogyny disguised as ethics in the skincare industry. Give me a break.

Lmao, what? I don't think anyone here really trying to talk about the skincare industry as a whole, she is promoting a dubious at best product, and you don't exactly have to be a skincare professional to realize that. She's a very popular twitch streamer and this is primariyl a gaming forum so... put the 2 together. Similiarly how to this day Fatalitys gaming snacks get mocked or how the Shungite copypasta of DrDisrespect still gets randomly posted even after 2 years.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm asking why are people jumping on her. There are bazillions of products out there that have way more ridiculous claims and make way more money then this will ever make. Blue light skincare products been on the market for years now.

Call out bullshit whenever you see it. That's the only way to prevent people from being scammed. This far from the only time this sort of crap gets called out.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Lmao, what? I don't think anyone here really trying to talk about the skincare industry as a whole, she is promoting a dubious at best product, and you don't exactly have to be a skincare professional to realize that. She's a very popular twitch streamer and this is primariyl a gaming forum so... put the 2 together. Similiarly how to this day Fatalitys gaming snacks get mocked or how the Shungite copypasta of DrDisrespect still gets randomly posted even after 2 years.
Of course it's a shit product. I'm looking at the reasons for why people are upset about this particular instance when all kinds of streamers advertise or release dubious products.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys keep coming back to the well of "other streamers do other bullshit" like it means something on this site. Like, have you read any streamer thread here? Most of them are getting shit just for being streamers.

Gamer branded crap gets dunked on literally all the time here. There just is never anyone defending Game Fuel, so there's no arguments. Everyone knows that shit is dumb.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's a shit product. I'm looking at the reasons for why people are upset about this particular instance when all kinds of streamers advertise or release dubious products.

So it's ok to grift if the grifter meets your specific requirements?

The whataboutism when it comes to other streamers not being called out (which many similar scams HAVE been). I am really trying to wrap my head around the defending of this instance.

And please don't disingenuously play up the misogynist card either. That's where you were headed right?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

This is an obvious scam, we've had threads about other obvious scams in the past as well. You can hate all of this and still bring up a specific new instance of it happening.