• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Holy shit this season DRAGGED. Way way too long. Why does the show insist on breaking up everyone for the entire season? Almost All of the subplots were so so dull.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Quoting myself...

:P

It's probably not so much about media literacy. It's because of shit like Star Wars that refuse to keep any character dead despite them being cut in half, stabbed in the belly, etc.

Hell even Stranger Things has done a bunch of fake-outs, with El, Hopper, Brenner (the first time), and Max. So, I almost don't blame people for thinking "wHaT If jAsOn oR BrEnNeR ArE StIlL AlIvE sOmEHoW" because TV shows have simply conditioned us.

What game is that? Looks awesome.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Russia had their own local gate they were trying to stabilize while the Starcourt project was going on, which is presumably where they got their Mindflayer fragment and a bunch of their monsters from. I don't know why that plot point was dropped. It seems pretty important.
Wasn't the plot point of S3 that their attempt at a gate failed which is why they came to Hawkins where the connection was stronger/barrier weaker for them to break through? Because if they had a working gate in Russia....would that lead them to an upside down Hawkins?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the plot point of S3 that their attempt at a gate failed which is why they came to Hawkins where the connection was stronger/barrier weaker for them to break through? Because if they had a working gate in Russia....would that lead them to an upside down Hawkins?

I think the issue they had was forming a stable gate. It seems like they were able to get one open but not keep it open. Meanwhile the membrane (let's be real, it's a gross membrane, considering what Hopper and El had to push through to get out) between dimensions in Hawkins is way thinner and more worn down because of everything that's happened so far so they focused their efforts on Hawkins instead.

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, amazing edit:

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Goddamn, what an incredible season. By far the best one.

I don't understand why Brenner tattooed Henry, let alone with a 001? That implied others with such powers would be created or found.

I don't think his "I was trying to help" plea is convincing at all, and right now it feels like bad writing unless the Duffers reveal it was a lie and that him demanding that El believes him was to trick her later on somehow.

They always had Owens to play that role, doesn't work for Brenner.

Right now I see it as a really bad retcon.

It's not bad writing because it's supposed to be a plea that falls on deaf ears. El left him without telling him that she believes him, because she doesn't believe him. It was his delusion that he was trying to help, and maybe HE believed that, but it's bullshit and El (and by extension we) knows it.

I completely believe that Brenner was fucked up enough to believe he was helping.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Kali to come and save everyone in S5!!!

I actually think Kali is kind of uniquely useless against Vecna, honestly. Her power of illusion casting is pretty much exactly what Vecna himself already does, so he'd probably wind up being immune to it.

In my head, I'm picturing a scene where Kali conjures up an illusion version of Brenner to distract Vecna from killing someone and his response is to just launch a tentacle right through the illusion and impale her on it.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Has there ever been any explanation for all the Russian stuff yet other than Murray saying Russians infiltrated Hawkins back in season 2?

How did they find out about the Upside Down? Where did they get the Upside Down creatures?

For the longest time I thought Hopper had jumped through the Russian created gate under the mall and wound up in that prison. Now he just fell down in that bunker and got caught later when he woke up. I guess Joyce didn't look too hard for him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this won't be the wacky adventures of Suzie and her siblings...

I think at this point it seems pretty clear that whatever their spinoff idea is, it doesn't involve any major characters we know right now. It might be set in a different time period and it may barely resemble the show we have now in any way. If any characters cross over, it will be in the slightest of ways.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been any explanation for all the Russian stuff yet other than Murray saying Russians infiltrated Hawkins back in season 2?

How did they find out about the Upside Down? Where did they get the Upside Down creatures?

For the longest time I thought Hopper had jumped through the Russian created gate under the mall and wound up in that prison. Now he just fell down in that bunker and got caught later when he woke up. I guess Joyce didn't look too hard for him.
Season 3 already implied that the Russians had been extracting creatures from the Upside Down via the Mall portal when Erica points out that there's a cargo cage that could house a creature of the Demogorgon's size. As for how they found out about it, most likely through espionage since the government are fully aware of what actually happened in Hawkins.

And yeah, the solution to the Hopper mystery disappearance literally was that Joyce and Murray didn't look hard enough. It's understandable though, given how Hopper being captured so quickly more or less proved that the Russian forces were still in the base so they had to quickly get out of there.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think at this point it seems pretty clear that whatever their spinoff idea is, it doesn't involve any major characters we know right now. It might be set in a different time period and it may barely resemble the show we have now in any way. If any characters cross over, it will be in the slightest of ways.

Suzie isn't in the main cast though.

Her siblings were also given a "game" like D&D, which in this case is film-making.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
sci fi show where the upside down powers spaceships

Time to give The last Starfighter its time to SHINE

81IdMpGWenL._SL1500_.jpg

THIS IS MUSIC

Yessss, weirdly happy they were happy haha

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
B-b-but my consequences! :(

/s obviously. A character death should always serve the narrative needs.

Definitely on the bolded part. Really, when it comes to handling a potential character death, rarely foreshadow it, do it that it makes sense for that character to die logically (rather than thematically), and let the cast be forced to move on and be in doubt the character's death as much as the audience. It's usually pretty hard to convincingly kill off a character, and it's even harder to make it count to a story's narrative.

In short, handle a fictional character's death like in real life. It should be unexpected, it can happen to anyone, and it's always irreversible.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else not know there's a spinoff happening?

Yeah we've been discussing the spinoff since before S4 was finished, but fuck yes at this confirmation. Good.

Yeah I don't see anyone from the cast/story of Hawkins and the Upside Down being part of this with the way they're talking about it. Maybe there will be some kind of, "Oh god is our town the next Hawkins?" reference or Nancy will be a reporter on TV in the background but I wouldn't be surprised at all of it 1) isn't even in the same time period 2) has no cast connections 3) has little to no story connections. The connection will be that it takes place in the same universe and that's pretty much it. Which is fine because we know for fact that the universe Stranger Things takes place in has, at minimum, super powered people and alternate dimensions, so they can grow off of that.

While there's nothing to support ghosts exist in this universe extradimensional beings are a thing, and I doubt there's only one alternate dimension, so they could do something with aliens in the 90s when they were hot shit. Or something with cryptids, I remember a lot of news stories about El Chupacabra for a hot minute when I was a kid.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see anyone from the cast/story of Hawkins and the Upside Down being part of this with the way they're talking about it. Maybe there will be some kind of, "Oh god is our town the next Hawkins?" reference or Nancy will be a reporter on TV in the background but I wouldn't be surprised at all of it 1) isn't even in the same time period 2) has no cast connections 3) has little to no story connections. The connection will be that it takes place in the same universe and that's pretty much it. Which is fine because we know for fact that the universe Strange Things takes place in has, at minimum, super powered people and alternate dimensions, so they can grow off of that.

Exactly. That's the smart way to do it, rather than trying to take one of the characters from this show and build an entirely new show around them that just coincidentally doesn't involve anyone else from this cast.

Like the ONLY one I could see it working with would be, like, a young Murray in Chicago in the 60s trying the whole reporter thing before some weird shit drives him out of the business and breaks him into the conspiracy nutjob he is in the 80s, and even that would be like a three-episode mini-arc at absolute maximum.

Just tell an entirely new story encapsulated within the same mythology. If someone from Hawkins shows up down the line, that's fine, but the new show should be its own thing first and a "remember the original show?" self-referential nostalgiafest a distant fourth or fifth, if at all.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think my ideal spin off would be akin to a Better Call Saul or Star Wars Rebels where there is a separate mythology that is mostly self contained but develops relationships and lore that was established in the original series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see anyone from the cast/story of Hawkins and the Upside Down being part of this with the way they're talking about it. Maybe there will be some kind of, "Oh god is our town the next Hawkins?" reference or Nancy will be a reporter on TV in the background but I wouldn't be surprised at all of it 1) isn't even in the same time period 2) has no cast connections 3) has little to no story connections. The connection will be that it takes place in the same universe and that's pretty much it. Which is fine because we know for fact that the universe Strange Things takes place in has, at minimum, super powered people and alternate dimensions, so they can grow off of that.

While there's nothing to support ghosts exist in this universe extradimensional beings are a thing, and I doubt there's only one alternate dimension, so they could do something with aliens in the 90s when they were hot shit. Or something with cryptids, I remember a lot of news stories about El Chupacabra for a hot minute when I was a kid.

I fuckin' love dumb cryptid shit, so I would be game for some kind of '90s-style X-Files show in the Stranger Things universe about some people from a descendant of Owens' branch of the government investigating supernatural flare-ups. Give it to me. Like the Federal Bureau of Control but with less...harrowing implications.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I fuckin' love dumb cryptid shit, so I would be game for some kind of '90s-style X-Files show in the Stranger Things universe about some people from a descendant of Owens' branch of the government investigating supernatural flare-ups. Give it to me. Like the Federal Bureau of Control but with less...harrowing implications.
Fuuuck yes. The connection could be "ever since The Event in Hawkins during the 80s, reality has been a little… soft, and our job is to locate and contain the anomalies that sometimes come through."

It would be so nice to have a Monster of the Week show that actually remains a Monster of the Week show instead of eventually focusing on just one thing and getting up it's own ass with convoluted lore. Supernatural got so bogged down with their Angels VS Demons bullshit and X-Files.. I don't know what happened to X-Files because we eventually stopped watching but it wasn't doing random creepy crawlers anymore. Even Fringe dropped it in favor of focusing on their clashing dimensions story arc. Gimme a Stranger Things spinoff where each episode is an ~hour long investigation into some weird happening somewhere with some fun charismatic agents.

Edit: in a second or third season, they're hunting something people assume is a Chupacabra. Turns out it's a Demodog (it's Dart) Owens goes "I think I know some people who can help" and Steve and Dustin show up. There's your fanwank callback episode lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the thing about that scene for me is that, the "that was so metal" thing isn't new obviously, tons of movies and shows do it, I'm sure it's a trope at this point, but most of the time, you just go "was it really tho? /shrug"

The Eddie scene WAS metal as fuck tho, like it doesn't get much more metal than shredding Metallica in a hellish alternate dimension to attract a horde of demon bats with red lightning all around you.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Eddie a good zombir cause he died in the upside down?

I need Eddie in S5.

I mean the Upside Down isn't the afterlife, it's a hostile alien world.

Honestly...if Dustin just fucking left him there, I would be more worried about Vecna pumping his body full of Mind Flayer particles and puppeteering it the way he did the monsters in the Russian base. I don't think there's any chance in hell we see Eddie come back in any heroic form next season. Eleven couldn't even fully save Max, and she was right next to her when she got taken out.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think Kali is kind of uniquely useless against Vecna, honestly. Her power of illusion casting is pretty much exactly what Vecna himself already does, so he'd probably wind up being immune to it.

In my head, I'm picturing a scene where Kali conjures up an illusion version of Brenner to distract Vecna from killing someone and his response is to just launch a tentacle right through the illusion and impale her on it.
I dont actually ever expect her to come back seems like she died off with that episodes reception. I genuinely would be surprised if they didn't write her out

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Eddie a good zombir cause he died in the upside down?

I need Eddie in S5.

Season 5, Episode 1.

Opening title: Hawkins, 1989.

We open with an aerial shot of Hawkins. The camera pans from a helicopter view all the way down to the ground; it keeps going and goes through one of the still smoking ruptures. We move through the rupture and we are now in the Upside Down. We see a corpse lying on the ground. Its Eddie; slightly decomposed.

Camera pauses on his face.

We suddenly hear Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time" playing from above.

Eddie opens his eyes.

I should be on the writing team

Oct 29, 2017
the thing about that scene for me is that, the "that was so metal" thing isn't new obviously, tons of movies and shows do it, I'm sure it's a trope at this point, but most of the time, you just go "was it really tho? /shrug"

The Eddie scene WAS metal as fuck tho, like it doesn't get much more metal than shredding Metallica in a hellish alternate dimension to attract a horde of demon bats with red lightning all around you.

Absolutely, the show earned their "that was so metal" moment because it really fuckin was. Eddie burned too brightly too fast :(

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Season 5, Episode 1.

Opening title: Hawkins, 1989.

We open with an aerial shot of Hawkins. The camera pans from a helicopter view all the way down to the ground; it keeps going and goes through one of the still smoking ruptures. We move through the rupture and we are now in the Upside Down. We see a corpse lying on the ground. Its Eddie; slightly decomposed.

Camera pauses on his face.

We suddenly hear Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time" playing from above.

Eddie opens his eyes.

I should be on the writing team
"If I Could Turn Back Time" didn't release until 1989 and this season is set in like 86 you're fired

Oct 29, 2017
S5 begins.

We see Dustin in a cutoff denim jacket vest carrying a guitar case.

Inside is Eddie's guitar.

He's practicing as a way of remembering his friend.

S5 finale. Dustin plays Raining Blood by Slayer.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Season 4 is set in 86. And I believe the Duffers mentioned a possible time-jump so I get some leeway there for my Season 5 opener!
The Duffers said the first 2 episodes would be immediate follow-up to the end of Season 4 and then a time-skip, also a body wouldn't be only slightly decomposed after 3 years in a hostile environment sorry Continuity Police you're under arrest for openly defying the Duffers and trying to stage a coup!!! Weee-ooo weee-ooo! 🚨🚨🚨