• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
6H0hBxo.jpg
The world turns Upside Down on October 27.

Release date: Oct 27th on Netflix.

Spoilers: Please spoiler tag any (spoiler) discussion for two weeks. And make sure to label your spoiler discussion. (i.e. Episode 3:
Who you going to call?

Links:
Cast:

KqSUNnv.jpg

Winona Ryder as Joyce, David Harbour as Chief Hopper, Finn Wolfhard as Mike

RC4UL0a.jpg

Millie Brown as Eleven, Noah Schnapp as Will, Caleb McLaughlin as Lucas

t1GJnwH.jpg

Gaten Matarazzo as Dustin, Natalia Dyer as Nancy, Charlie Heaton as Jonathan
Reviews:
Until "Stranger Things 2" really gets going — and that takes a while — it trails an air of self-consciousness that veers into strained fan service at times. The good news is, the show's core cast remains an extremely versatile and effective ensemble, and once the story kicks into a higher gear about halfway through the nine-episode season, a lot of the old magic returns.

There are missteps in the second season, many of them revolving around thin or unfortunate writing for some of the new characters. But once you get past the clunky first few installments — which largely restate much of what occurred last season and set up plot points that were easily inferred from the trailers — the drama's momentum picks up noticeably. As fine as the show's justly lauded young cast is, the adult actors — especially Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Natalia Dyer, Charlie Heaton and Joe Keery — anchor every psychological nuance with subtle skill and ease.
So there, I just described the initial setup and the first half of this pointlessly overlong, quarter-baked season of television. Yes, after an unexpected opening scene that looks like a worse version of The Gifted, Stranger Things 2 settles in for five straight hours of pure unfiltered Netflix bloat. Tantalizing possibilities are hinted at, then hinted at again a full episode later.

The cast remains full of delightful performers, but they sprawl in different directions, many of them boring.

On the whole, I can't help but like the new season of "Stranger Things" way more than I liked Season 1. Last year, "Stranger Things" was a cute diversion, but ultimately aimless. For the most part, Season 2 acts with more of a purpose and a vision that feels like it truly belongs to its creators, the Duffer Brothers.

But I also can't help but feel unsatisfied by how it all plays out because of a pair of plot threads that, for now, never pay off and a third that seems to exist entirely to address a situation that doesn't really matter. With a tighter focus "Stranger Things" season 2 could have been great — as it stands, we'll have to settle for almost great, and hope the Duffers are planning to make those apparently divergent threads make sense in season 3.
On the whole, I can't help but like the new season of "Stranger Things" way more than I liked Season 1. Last year, "Stranger Things" was a cute diversion, but ultimately aimless. For the most part, Season 2 acts with more of a purpose and a vision that feels like it truly belongs to its creators, the Duffer Brothers.

But I also can't help but feel unsatisfied by how it all plays out because of a pair of plot threads that, for now, never pay off and a third that seems to exist entirely to address a situation that doesn't really matter. With a tighter focus "Stranger Things" season 2 could have been great — as it stands, we'll have to settle for almost great, and hope the Duffers are planning to make those apparently divergent threads make sense in season 3.

To start, "Stranger Things 2" feels a great deal like its predecessor. Once again, nostalgia is a MAJOR part of the narrative of the show, and it's even less subtly so in the first two episodes of this new season than it was the first.

To be fair, that execution isn't flawless. There are times when the new "Stranger Things" feels over-crowded and sometimes clunky. Through much of the season, many characters are divided into different subplots. So, as Dustin is dealing with something unexpected, Jonathan (Charlie Heaton) and Nancy (Natalia Dyer) are off on another subplot, and, oh yeah, Steve (Joe Keery) is still around looking for something to do, and so on, and so on. There are times when the "more" aesthetic of "Stranger Things 2" verges into "cluttered."

Promo photos:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Literally just finished our rewatch of season 1. Such a good show and amazing cast. Really hope they can pull off a second season and make things seem worthwhile to continue.

Anyone know how many episodes are in season 2?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Friday is INSANE with this, Mario Odyssey, Thor, AC...

I can't wait for this.

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this. I plan on watching half on Friday night and the rest Saturday. My wife and I love this show. I've heard it's darker and more scary than the first.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I just recently binged (can you even binge if its only 8 episodes) this show for a 3rd time in preparation of the 27th. The pacing of the first season was just phenomenal; even after the 3rd time watching it.
My only fear is that it'll eventually get long in the tooth, but hopefully it concludes well before than.

Looking forward to posting about the season with everyone here, as soon as Netflix puts it up.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah once this goes live this thread poppin. Just hope the kids can keep it up. S1 was like lightning in a bottle. Hard to deal with kid actors that seem genuine. As they get older they always lose the touch if they try to stick tot he original content. Gotta evolve.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone buy any swag for the show? I wanted it all but the misses kept giving me the stink eye I settled for an Eleven action figure.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope they can keep the momentum going. I'm still intrigued by their original idea to do a standalone series every season

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Can't wait.. but i'll have to since I have a super busy weekend coming up. Hope to catch up on it next week

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to do a rewatch of season 1 in anticipation for the second, but I didn't have the time to :/

Wonder if I can rewatch it all by Friday and then binge-watch season 2 this weekend...

Deleted member 62

Content removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Why oh why must this come on the same day as Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed Origins, and a pre screening for Jigsaw...

That said, priorities. Saturday binge, here I come! Most surprising Netflix Original I've seen yet. Zero expectation on season 1, blew me away. Unbelievably hyped for the sophomore!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gah! My wife is going out of town this weekend! I gotta wait until Sunday to start.

Oct 25, 2017
Upstate NY
Target is selling the Bluray of season 1 exclusively in cool VHS style packaging, so I picked that up and my wife and I have finally finished the first season. Such a solid show. I'm thrilled the new season will be available starting tomorrow, especially since I don't have to wait for it. Instant gratification for the win!

Be interesting to see how it stacks up to season 1.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
So very much looking forwad to this.

Just polishing off the S1 rewatch now. It really is outstanding. Not an ounce of fat on it.

The only plot hole(?) I noticed was "why were the bullies hanging around in the exact same bit of forest where Mike & Dustin were looking for El?"

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first season last week, I'm glad that I did it very late so I don't have to wait very long for the next season.
11/10