Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Which really isn't what I'd want for a game celebrating the 35th anniversary of the series (and of FFI). The idea of a FFI "remake"/re-imagining for FF's 35th anniversary... it's awesome. But like THIS? Might as well get Michael Bay to direct a FFVII movie (and have Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Ehren Kruger and Akiva Goldsman write the story and screenplay). Or better yet, Rob Zombie's Final Fantasy (Bill Moseley as Warrior of Light, Sherri Moon Zombie as Princess Sara...).
Yeah its like they were so close to making one of the coolest games, a Nioh esque FF1 reimagining where you create your own Warrior of Light but instead made this and it blows my mind because the most disliked aspect of Nioh was William so we got a character creator in Nioh 2 and yet somehow SE decided to work with TN for this game likely because of what TN did with Nioh and its a repeat of Nioh 1 with a fixed main character who to make things worse isn't just bland like William but all these characters are completely off putting

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who says it's not?
Story's made by Nojima and Nomura.
It's canon unless stated otherwise.
Just like Dissidia lol

square-enix-games.com

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN – the Famitsu interview | Square Enix Blog

Creative Producer Tetsuya Nomura, Producer Jin Fujiwara, and Director Daisuke Inoue discuss the bold new vision for the FINAL FANTASY series.
Interviewer: Strangers…people who shouldn't be in…you must be talking about the protagonist, Jack, and his allies? I suppose they do feel like they're somewhat out of place in that dark fantasy world. To start from a more basic question, we hear the words Chaos, the Chaos Shrine and the Warriors of Light cropping up in the trailer, so am I right that there's obviously some connection to the world of the original FINAL FANTASY I?

Nomura: That's right. It's a new story that uses FINAL FANTASY I as a motif, rather than being directly connected or an equivalent. The trial version covers the Chaos Shrine, which you'll visit towards the beginning of the game – which is similar to the progression in FINAL FANTASY I as well.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. Yeah, Serah's theme is in the second level's music. Maybe Serah will show up in this game?!

Yeah, that's a reach. Unless?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I want to like it for how trash and mid-2000s kerrang magazine the whole aesthetic is, but it just really sucks. It's such a bad feeling game to play. Real trash so far, I hope I end up being wrong

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Favor resolution seems to run at like 45fps on XSX.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this demo runs at more than 1080p resolution and 45fps.

That was a BAD demo.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
How in hell do you beat the second boss? The first phase takes forever and the second one shots my party

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
jack garland???

he said that like it means something???

(genuine question... does it actually mean something?)
Garland is the first boss of Final Fantasy 1, and he also becomes the demon Chaos for the final boss fight. Garland is generally considered the "iconic" villain from FF1.

The strange part is that the boss of the first demo of Stranger of Chaos WAS the traditional Garland design. Indicating that either Jack is an alternate timeline Garland or he somehow turns evil and inherits the armor and sword of the first boss.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone freaking out about this game, and here I am thinking it's at least looking like a more coherent and enjoyable time than both FFXIII and FFXV. OH WELL.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am enjoying it still, but I was hoping they would fix up magic a bit, but it's probably going to be locked in til the end now. The janky magic wheel mid combat just does not feel good to use. Even when it works intentionally.

I guess it makes sense, but I was expecting/hoping chainspell to be a more limited faster version, but it's basically how magic works for black mage but after you charge up you can shoot in succession a bit, still feels kind of terrible.

Might abandon magic as main and only relegate it to support and use something like thief or monk for the main job. They feel notably better atm.

Side note, can people think of any action game that does mages/magic well? Feels like they're always relegated to stand still and cast which while I love the idea of using magic that gameplay feel is always ass.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
Garland is the first boss of Final Fantasy 1, and he also becomes the demon Chaos for the final boss fight. Garland is generally considered the "iconic" villain from FF1.

The strange part is that the boss of the first demo of Stranger of Chaos WAS the traditional Garland design. Indicating that either Jack is an alternate timeline Garland or he somehow turns evil and inherits the armor and sword of the first boss.

thanks for the heads up

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I still don't think I like the heavy melee attacks costing MP. I feel like they're already balanced by their animation times and combo requirements. Regular attacks do so little damage that you need those heavy attacks to do real damage.

At the very least, I think proper parry should fill up one bar of MP so you can properly punish attacks.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Lowered the difficulty and the second phase is still absurd, easily the hardest Soulslike boss I've faced just due to how much damage it does

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
Lowered the difficulty and the second phase is still absurd, easily the hardest Soulslike boss I've faced just due to how much damage it does
On hard mode it was definitely up there for me in terms of bosses compared to other souls/nioh bosses. The second phase I basically just played it extremely safe going in when the boss uses that purple ability you steal from it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe he used similar terminology when describing VIIR.
Like how it doesn't connect with the Compilation.

www.resetera.com

Final Fantasy VII Remake General Discussion Thread [Open Spoilers for Original FFVII ONLY please!]

Ah I see. Is there any statement by Square-Enix on the subject?
Yoshinori Kitase: I can't give you full details exactly how many times, where they're referenced, or anything like that, but what I want to let you know is that all of the lore from the works created after the original game, the Compilation of Final Fantasy 7, that's all very much in the base of the canon for the remake, and going forward it will be too.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
On hard mode it was definitely up there for me in terms of bosses compared to other souls/nioh bosses. The second phase I basically just played it extremely safe going in when the boss uses that purple ability you steal from it.
Even when playing safe he one shots my partners

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.finalfantasyunion.com/n...lation-of-ffvii-is-not-canon-to-ffvii-remake/

Tetsuya Nomura: "Concerning Final Fantasy VII Remake, which is a title loaded with a lot of mystery for now, it will be different from the original Final Fantasy VII. If we make a compilation, these games will hardly have an overall coherence. It will be difficult because there is no more continuity between the Compilation and the Remake for the moment"

So I'd hold off on taking pre-release Nomura statements to mean something isn't canon.

That doesn't mean that it's not canon. It can be indirectly related insofar as to stand on its own, like most spin-offs.

Exactly.
Just like how the VIIR post that everybody said meant the Compilation wasn't canon actually just said it lacked continuity......because it's a different timeline.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 10119

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Jed and Ash are so useless lmao, you're basically on your own that boss fight.
Neon is a beast, she never dies, so I put her on the team instead of Jed.
That dude cannot stay in the land of the living no matter what is happening.

2nd phase of that elemental boss I just run away and throw magic at it.
That thing has such an illogical movement/attack pattern that fighting it in melee range is straight suicide.

Also if you guys have been upgrading and equipping new gear for your party, they hardly ever die.
I would almost go as far as to say they are overpowered. They absolutely destroyed the Chaos boss while I sat back and laughed.
that "resonance mode" you activate that makes them more aggro, is so funny to watch, they will wipe the floor with everything that's in your way.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
Also if you guys have been upgrading and equipping new gear for your party, they hardly ever die.
I would almost go as far as to say they are overpowered. They absolutely destroyed the Chaos boss while I sat back and laughed.
that "resonance mode you activate that makes them more aggro, is so funny to watch, they will wipe the floor with everything that's in your way.
Oh...
I dont remember being able to equip stuff to the other party members in the first demo so I never tried it here.
I also didn't seem to try swapping out one of them for Neon, that probably would of been a good thing to do lmao.
That boss fight just consisted of me wailing my daggers at that boss for ages by myself haha.

Thanks for the tips though, that'll no doubt make it a lot easier when i go back to it for a replay.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
"I've designed a pasty pale woman with light hair and a black and white tennis dress. What should we name her?"
"How about Neon?"

She needs a FF9 racket to go with her dress.
y5b9BsF.jpg

Deleted member 10119

Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Oh...
I dont remember being able to equip stuff to the other party members in the first demo so I never tried it here.
I also didn't seem to try swapping out one of them for Neon, that probably would of been a good thing to do lmao.
That boss fight just consisted of me wailing my daggers at that boss for ages by myself haha.

Thanks for the tips though, that'll no doubt make it a lot easier when i go back to it for a replay.
Yep, you can equip gear on your party members now and make them OP.
They are either as weak or as strong as you let them be.

Which is why I think this game will have some interesting balancing issues.
on one hand, the bosses are stupid hard, on the other hand, you can have your over-qualified goon squad back you up.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
That dude cannot stay in the land of the living no matter what is happening.

2nd phase of that elemental boss I just run away and throw magic at it.
That thing has such an illogical movement/attack pattern that fighting it in melee range is straight suicide.

that "resonance mode" you activate that makes them more aggro, is so funny to watch, they will wipe the floor with everything that's in your way.
Yeah that's my problem with the boss it's badly balanced for melee builds, I always play Souls with the starting gear and this guy is just impossible without changing equipment, and even then if you are using melee he destroys you.

Deleted member 10119

Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Yeah that's my problem with the boss it's badly balanced for melee builds, I always play Souls with the starting gear and this guy is just impossible without changing equipment, and even then if you are using melee he destroys you.
So far with the bosses in this game I have noticed they get to combo you while you are down.
As you get up before you can issue a command of any sort, they are already on top of you with another attack usually killing you in 1 hit.

There needs to be some kind of internal cooldown for the bosses where if you are knocked down, they chill the f*** out and let you get on your feet before they continue the fight.

That elemental blob in the 2nd phase is not melee friendly in any way.
All of its attacks are AOE explosions that start from its body and go outward.
Idk who thought that would be funny to implement with melee being a thing in this game.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
This has to be self aware right? ...right?
"Cool" edgelord characters, post-90s hip hop & rock, monologuing about darkness and light... you know Nomura unironically thinks all that shit is cool and deep. He's that kid in middle school drawing tribal tattoo art on his notebook cover, while writing "Darkness and Light are the same" around the design, then looks and you and says, straight-faced, "Think about it!"

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
So far with the bosses in this game I have noticed they get to combo you while you are down.
As you get up before you can issue a command of any sort, they are already on top of you with another attack usually killing you in 1 hit.

There needs to be some kind of internal cooldown for the bosses where if you are knocked down, they chill the f*** out and let you get on your feet before they continue the fight.

That elemental blob in the 2nd phase is not melee friendly in any way.
All of its attacks are AOE explosions that start from its body and go outward.
Idk who thought that would be funny to implement with melee being a thing in this game.
Yeah I've been asking for a cooldown when you are on the ground because sometimes if you fall after an attack you take 2 seconds to get back up and enemies instantly attack when you hit the ground

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just can't with that "Bullshit" cutscene. Literally Square and Team Ninja are just going all in with the absolute stupidity in this. Love it.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Anyone else having trouble getting the demo? I get "Something went wrong. Try again later." when I try to add it to my library.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like I was able to download it through the store on on the PS5 itself. I think this might be coming down as an update to the old demo instead of a wholly new demo? Regardless, what I'm downloading now is version 2 and 18 gigs so I should be good.