• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
You know the more I think about this the more frustrating it is.
Why is this game coming to Xbox, but you know, a Final Fantasy game that actually might sell on Xbox (say like FFXVI or FFVII-R) SE is super coy on?

How did the rumors of this being PlayStation exclusive miss so hard?

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this game coming to Xbox, but you know, a Final Fantasy game that actually might sell on Xbox (say like FFXVI or FFVII-R) SE is super coy on?

I think broken telephone of "exclusive demo to playstation" became "playstation exclusive"

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Demo is exclusive and wires probably got crossed on that.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I thought people were exaggerating for the memes.

And then I watched the trailer myself.

Holy hell, what were they thinking? This is probably the worst trailer for a high-profile game I've ever seen. Horrible visuals, kindergarten-level storytelling, voiceovers and music that don't match the action on the screen... To imagine that someone, somewhere greenlit this trailer boggles my mind.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I think broken telephone of "exclusive demo to playstation" became "playstation exclusive"
Demo is exclusive and wires probably got crossed on that.

Huh. Yeah that makes sense.

Either way, I'd love to be there in SE's board room when they're deciding what games go what systems. Like what is there strategy, because I don't see it.

Did they line these trailers up in front of Sony and ask, "so, which of these would you like to buy exclusivity for?" And Sony was like "this one and this one but hahaha oh no. Nononono. Not this one. What were you guys thinking? So much chaos. Lol, Microsoft can have that one. It'll be funny."

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is there another company in gaming that treats their biggest franchises with more contempt than Square Enix

They just take a steaming shit on Final Fantasy constantly

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's more of a general question, but does anyone have any insight into what the underlying problem with that company is since that Square+Enix merger?

I'm genuinely curious, because it just seems to me that a certain degree of what I can only describe as bumbling incompetence seems to be a constant element of whatever they do. It's less with the Enix or the Eidos arms, but mostly with Square.

Trying to make a comprehensive list of all the unforced errors and other baffling fuckups would be an exercise in futility, of course. But the most glaring example is of course the fact that, since that merger, they haven't managed to develop and launch a single mainline Final Fantasy title without things going at least partly off the rails at some point (and often in a hilariously "WTF where they thinking?!?" fashion). In that sense, this fiasco right here is really just par for the course.

What's the problem here and why has this been going on for, what, almost 20 years now?

I mean, they seem be doing fine financially in spite of it, so good on them. But still: WTF is the problem with Square and why? And why does no one seem to be able to solve it?

Heh, this is a bit exaggerated IMHO.
For each of those baffling fuckups, there is at least two successes, whether commercially, critically or both, especially since 2016 onwards. Not that fuckups do not exist, mind you, but they have as many as most other large companies have. You are definitely right about mainline FFs though, although I'd close an eye on XIV because how it turned out and XVI extremely promising (read: mainline FFs are fine as long as YoshiP is on it), FFVII also is a smashing success.
And this is just a spinoff, probably a cheap one at that; In a couple of years it will be mostly forgotten outside of some memes.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
To think i almost stayed awake a couple of hours yesterday just to wait for a fix lol.

I'm actually excited for the game, it looks so bad that it's good, just be a locked 60fps plz.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I am gonna slow down the XIV fans a little here. Its fun to meme this game but you all really crapping on Nomura, Kitase, Tabata while lifting up the guy who has worked on ONE successful game and piggybacking off the success of successfully copying WoW and just learning to always lean into the easy and safe decisions, while monetizing XIV as much as humanly possible. Yoshi-P was given everything, the whole of the company, to make XIV succeed. No one at Square gets that kind of support.

He's made many a middling games before. Even after XIV (DQ Builders anyone?), so I really don't think people should be throwing rocks from glass houses.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Is there another company in gaming that treats their biggest franchises with more contempt than Square Enix

Why do you view it as contempt? They give their teams latitude to make new stuff that seems interesting to them, or what they think is the right choice for the future. Some are going to hit, some are going to miss. Plain as that, no? I don't understand how you would intuit that they're genuinely hateful or scornful of FF (when you say they treat it specifically with contempt).

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The funny thing is - this game has me infinitely more interested than Babylon's Fall.

If the gameplay isn't shite I might get it. Hell, might get it for the luls anyway.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall as this game was written/conceived. What kind of fucked up creative process (in a franchise as big as Final fucking Fantasy) doesn't have someone step in at some point before now to tell whoever's in charge that it fucking sucks?

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The thing that boggles my mind, and this is like, completely separate from how the game looks, or sounds (or will play) or how the demo is still borked (which, you know, can happen).

It's that the game's english language website never went up. It's in the press release, it's on the game's twitter bio... but the website just doesn't exist. It's so strange. I guess it's not priority, but the japanese language website went up without issues the moment the game was announced.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

If by contempt you mean they give their creatives the freedom to create all types of crazy shit then no. I don't view that as a bad thing, though.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that boggles my mind, and this is like, completely separate from how the game looks, or sounds (or will play) or how the demo is still borked (which, you know, can happen).

It's that the game's english language website never went up. It's in the press release, it's on the game's twitter bio... but the website just doesn't exist. It's so strange. I guess it's not priority, but the japanese language website went up without issues the moment the game was announced.

For some reason, they have the wrong URL. The actual site is this one.

square-enix-games.com

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN | SQUARE ENIX

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN coming March 18, 2022 to PS5, PS4, XBOX SERIES X|S, XBOX ONE, & PC

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
For some reason, they have the wrong URL. The actual site is this one.

square-enix-games.com

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN | SQUARE ENIX

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN coming March 18, 2022 to PS5, PS4, XBOX SERIES X|S, XBOX ONE, & PC
Oh thanks for that. That must have gone up recently too (or they integrated it recently) because it appears on

SQUARE ENIX | The Official SQUARE ENIX Website - Games

Welcome to the official SQUARE ENIX website. Find all the latest news and updates about your favourite games and upcoming releases.

and it didn't yesterday. (I checked. A bunch.)

EDIT: Actually clicking on it still doesn't work, amazing!

Last edited:

Break_Away

Banned
May 8, 2021
California
Wait.. Nomura is working on this…like get my kingdom heart obsession and rub it all over FF7 Remake Nomura? Oh I hope he's just there as a kindness.
Im so sick of him fucking up stories and making everything complicated.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.. Nomura is working on this…like get my kingdom heart obsession and rub it all over FF7 Remake Nomura? Oh I hope he's just there as a kindness.
Im so sick of him fucking up stories and making everything complicated.

I mean, it's known that Nomura was the one that wanted less changes on the remake, so this is kinda uncalled for.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he the one who added all that shit at the end?

No.

Interviewer: Generally for remakes, there's those who don't want changes from the original and there's another camp who do. As the creators, did you have disputes over what to change and what not to?

Nomura: Because the plan for the 'FF7 Remake' was decided from the very start, there weren't any disputes. However, from person to person there were differences in ways of thinking so there were instances where disputes arose as to how much should be changed, unexpectedly in the second half there were many instances where I became a (door) stopper [laughs].

wccftech.com

Final Fantasy VII Remake Director Tetsuya Nomura Blocked Some of The Changes Meant for the Second Half of the Game

Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura confirmed in a new interview that he was the one that prevented many other changes from being included

Break_Away

Banned
May 8, 2021
California
No.

wccftech.com

Final Fantasy VII Remake Director Tetsuya Nomura Blocked Some of The Changes Meant for the Second Half of the Game

Final Fantasy VII Remake director Tetsuya Nomura confirmed in a new interview that he was the one that prevented many other changes from being included
Oh, well I withdrawn that statement then. I remember reading an article that shifted the blame onto him , if that's not the case then nevermind. But who/what caused that train wreck at the end I hope doesn't come into this.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's known that Nomura was the one that wanted less changes on the remake, so this is kinda uncalled for.
Nojima was the one that wanted it to revolve around Fate, wasn't he? While Nomura has his faults, Nojima's probably the main culprit in some of the more outlandish concepts in FFVIIR, as well as in the Compilation as a whole, HELL, FF as a whole.

IMO, Nojima's fine at establishing "first installments" of a game world. Setting up ideas, lore and a main story. When it comes to sequels and prequels, basically "expanding a game's world", he sucks SOOOO much!

Wasn't he the one who added all that shit at the end?
That was the co-director, no? He's the guy who's directing FFVIIR-2.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Been saying it, but Nomura's job is to tank all the criticism while Nojima's crimes against the medium go under the radar.
Yeah Nojima has been making terrible decisions for a long time, and somehow people always blame Nomura. It's not as if Nomura doesn't have his faults, but he takes the blame for everything. He's like a professional fall guy at this point.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nojima trolled everyone with the FFVII / FFX-2 connection way back in FFX-2, and he saw that Square didn't push back against it, so he's been trolling more and more ever since. Stranger in Paradise is just the latest act in a long series of subtle (or less subtle) stunts.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
this thread is embarassing, chaos isn't a meme

chaos must be DESTROYED

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
The problem here doesn't seem to be Nojima. Nojima's responsible for the Story and Scenario, and that's something we know very little about.

Nomura's the Creative Director, the guy who came up with the concept, and the Character Designer. Each of those things is a miss right now. You can absolve the guy for maybe one thing, but there are too many things that he's credited for that just don't work.