• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Per GRRM's personal page:
http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/21/thanks-new-zealand/

In the summer of 2020, Wellington is hosting the World Science Fiction Convention, the oldest and most important con in the SF/ fantasy calendar, and they've asked me to serve as Toastmaster for the Hugo Awards. Writers, fans, and artists from all over the world will be headed down to check out all of your wonders. I hope lots of you Kiwis will join us.

As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much. Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce. But I tell you this — if I don't have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I'm done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I'll be fine.

Me imagining this situation in 2020:

"Opening up, George! This is the FBI! You are under arrest!"

Imprison me if old.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
He just posted in his blog the day before that he wouldn't give a timetable as to when the book would be completed because he got burned doing that before. 24hrs later and he seemingly has? 😆

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he has a terminal illness he's not telling anyone about and knows he won't be around?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sure George, that's the lesson we've learned from all this, the value of rushing to finish a project

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
d21ovk2n98e21.png

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
He just posted in his blog the day before that he wouldn't give a timetable as to when the book would be completed because he got burned doing that before. 24hrs later and he seemingly has? 😆

Winds is probably much further along than he's ever been comfortable letting on up to now.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I actually think he'll do it.

He's probably been stuck these years because he added so many ill-advised plot concepts to his outline (pseudo time-travel, near-omniscient characters, tons of resurrections, etc.) that made it insanely difficult to actually finish. Now that he's seen how awful most of these ideas panned out in the show and how little anyone liked the ending, he can just scrap everything that's causing massive problems and proceed with a more reasonable plan of action.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Old Nan has some words for you:

giphy.gif

All I'm saying is that if he watched the reaction to the finale and said, "Everyone thinks Wizard-King Bran is stupid. Thank god, he was making it impossible to write this book; I'll just kill his ass off and drive on" he's probably going to finish 10x faster than if he keeps trying to jam the square peg through the round hole.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Right now he's staring at his ancient screen with "The Winds of Winter" at the top and a blinking cursor underneath.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Optimistic Interpretation:
George has learned his lesson about giving release dates, but there's a minimal amount of work left to complete the book and so his confidence is extremely high.

Pessimistic Interpretation:
It is an immutable fact that George RR Martin is fundamentally incapable of learning his lesson about giving release dates.

OP
OP
RestEerie

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Right now he's staring at his ancient screen with "The Winds of Winter" at the top and a blinking cursor underneath.
The Winds of Winter

Chapter 1: Ghost
Woof...Woof............Grrr....Woof.............Woof..............Howl...........Grr...............Woof?

Chapter 2: Lady Stoneheart
Eh....ah!!! Grrr...................Eh? EH!!! AHHH!!!!

Chapter 3: Shaggydog
Meow?