• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

store.steampowered.com

Stoneshard on Steam

Stoneshard is a challenging turn-based RPG set in an open world. Experience the unforgiving life of a medieval mercenary: travel across the war-torn kingdom, fulfill contracts, fight, mend your wounds and develop your character without any restrictions.

2344.png

Stoneshard is a challenging turn-based RPG set in an open world. Experience the unforgiving life of a medieval mercenary: travel across the war-torn kingdom, fulfill contracts, fight, mend your wounds and develop your character without any restrictions.

EXPLORE THE RAVAGED LANDS

• Open World
    War always leaves its mark: villages lie in ruins, dungeons are infested with monsters and old roads are abandoned. Travel across Aldor and learn more about its past.
  • Economy
    The wartime economy is ruthless, but it also presents many opportunities: fulfill contracts, hunt for treasure, trade in a variety of goods and travel the land to earn your fortune.

CHOOSE YOUR PATH

• Character Development
    Experiment with 100+ abilities and 200+ equipment pieces without any class or level restrictions. Create your very own playstyle!
  • Enemy Variety
    Take part in intense battles against numerous factions. Brigands, abominable cults, the undead - all of them require a unique approach.
  • Tactical Battles
    There is no hand-holding. Only the thoughtful ones shall prevail - plan a few turns ahead, adapt to your surroundings and fully utilize your character's strengths.

2344444.png

SURVIVE AGAINST THE ODDS

• Health System
    Master the simple but deep health system: cauterize bleeding wounds, relieve pain with alcohol and drugs, practice bloodletting and heal your maladies with various concoctions.
  • Psyche
    Different in-game situations have a distinct influence on your character's mental condition. High morale may turn the tide in your favor when fighting even the most hopeless of battles, while low sanity brings panic attacks and paranoia.
  • Permadeath
    Do you like risk? Then try out the Ironman mode, where every decision is irreversible and your character dies once and for all.
PLANNED UPDATES

• New Content
    New settlements, including three majestic cities. New enemy factions: the mysterious Deep Dwellers and the ruthless Hive. Even more activities, equipment, enemies and abilities.
  • Caravan
    Gather your caravan: upgrade it, find new routes and recruit followers - their skills and abilities will surely come in handy. Feeling tired? Return to your camp to hear fresh stories or just rest by the fire.
  • Devotion
    Devote yourself to one of the aspects of the enigmatic deity. But remember: every blessing has
    its price. Are you ready to make a pact?
  • Campaign
    To solve the mystery of the Stoneshards, you'll have to visit dozens of exciting locations, make decisions with long-lasting consequences and slay a number of ferocious bosses.
  • Alchemy & Cooking
    Discover new recipes and experiment with potions and dishes by combining different ingredients.

So this just released in Early Access on Steam and I am about 5 hours into it and greatly enjoying it.
The game is crazy punishing, especially with the save system which makes you spend a night at an Inn (for a cost) to save and you lose any progress down till your last save if you die. Even then though, the feeling of trying again and finding new stuff and beating enemies is there for me and I persevere.
I tried melee, ranged, magic and everything seems fun so far. Sadly no character creator implemented yet so you need to use 4 archetypes but they all can be freely customized skill and attribute wise once you level them up past their initial start stats.

I really love the graphics and the game has good voice acting too (so far only in the tutorial which is quite long and has a great boss at the end). The music is more understated but the boss fight music I experienced was quite great. Lots of detail and little animations and spell effects that already make it a joy to look at.

The current content in the EA seems pretty nice with a decently sized overworld, dungeons and quite a lot of different enemies already. Also tons of items and skills with way more to be implemented. Especially the skilltree has a LOT of locked options for the future.

If you want to try this out, there is a free prologue on Steam that is basically the tutorial of the game (which IS a prologue cause you play a custom character in the actual game) on Steam and you can find it here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/869760/Stoneshard_Prologue/

Last edited:

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Interesting concept. However, I can see injuries' micromanagement become very annoying.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Played a bit and refunded. It should be a nice game in 2 years in full release. The art is beautiful, though...

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So the rouge-like element that when you die you go back to your last save and you can ONLY save at an inn?

Hm... I could do that...

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I love the pixel art, too bad it's a procedurally generated roguelike as I absolutely hate that tired game design.
It's not really "procedural". There is a lot of stuff that is set in stone, but some things are changed out with others when you first create a game. The game has a full on campaign with main story and voice acting and "cutscenes" etc...

See it more like a large part of the open world is "random"

As an example, in my first campaign i tried there was a "Fort Jovunnr" and it was 2 regions to the east and 1 region south from the village you start in. Then when I tried a new campaign, there was no such Fort there but instead a "Fort Urdast" which was 2 regions to the south of the village.
The contracts were different too but they seemed to just come from a pool of handmade contracts instead of them being generated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That the prologue boss? He jacked me in two shots! Pretty fun although a little too inventory heavy (I think I would get better at it down the line).
Yeah that's the first form of the boss! He has some attacks that come out of the ground that you need to move away from, those massively hurt, outside of that he is very doable

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really neat. Might check this out once it's further in early access.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just have to say, your OP title makes this sound like Popular Buzzword: The Game. Is it hobby-grade?
Why not play the iconic Prologue and find out? :P

Joke aside, I just wanted to show what the game was about cause it is a mix of quite a few interesting things.
Not all roguelikes have these nice graphics, not every open world game is turn based, etc...
Just tired to catch peoples attention :D

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Glad to hear impressions are positive. I got my backer key the other day but haven't hopped in yet

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Glad to hear impressions are positive. I got my backer key the other day but haven't hopped in yet
I definitely have been enjoying my time with it!
I was surprised how much it kept me playing. I already got 5 hours in it and I have died like 15+ times now, always losing tons of progress. I haven't even finished a single contract! XD
The tutorial is pretty great but it also gives you a bit of a false sense of the speed of leveling up and such. Also fighting in a tight dungeon is easier than out in the open world cause you REALLY do not want to get surrounded or flanked

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Controller support? Any annoying hunger or drink system?
I haven't tried with controller yet, but the roadmap says full controller support is coming!
Game has hunger and thirst, yes. You need to eat and drink, you get intoxicated, you have mental health.
It's not crazy, you don't need to eat every like 5min or so. So far it was enough for my character to eat a piece of bread that costs 15 coins about every 25 minutes or so. it depends on how much you get wounded and such too though.
It hasn't been something I really had to play around with too much yet. I'm still trying to get through ambushes without dieing first XD

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
I've got about 13 hours into this so far and I can say: the game is great. Currently, it's pretty limited. There are two towns on the map you can visit, each with their own merchants and NPCs. That said, there are only two quest givers in the game and they each have two to three quests that can be completed and repeated later. The quests are basically all kill/fetch quests. Go here, kill this guy, get that item, come back. And when I say come back, I mean walk back. There is currently no fast travel system of any kind in the game. So get used to hoofing it.

To save, you'll have to go to an inn, rent a room for a given length of time, and then go sleep in your bed. This means that if you die during your adventures, you'll go back to the last time you slept. I'm of two minds to this. I've already died to bullshit and lost tons of progress... But it does make the world feel a little more grounded and your decisions a little more important. It is a turn based, tactical game, and there have been several times already where I realized after the fact that if I had carefully examined the situation and used the items I had available, I could have scraped by. It's easy to get into combat and look at it as closer to an action game.

So far I've only played as Pyromancer and I can say they are freaking broken. You start out pretty weak but by level 4-5 when you have a couple abilities under your belt, there's nothing you can't kite and burn down. By level 6 I felt pretty damn powerful. Short of being ambushed by archers (MY BANE!!!!) there's nothing you can't take down. Going to start the berserker guy today and specialize in axes and we'll see how that goes. I can already see challenges ahead but I'm eager to give it a shot.

TL;DR: Great game. Feels very grounded, in a good way. It's punishing. You will die to random bullshit critical hits. You will lose progress. That is being alleviated to some extent with future updates giving you more opportunity to save.

Edit: To make the game easier...
All of the weapons and items and monsters and everything are on a CSV file that you can freely edit the values of. Add a couple of numbers to a given item or monster and suddenly you get much more experience or grapes now fully restore your food and water need.

Last edited:

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Added it to my wish list on steam last night. Looks great but the general consensus is that it's a bit light on content right now. Will keep an eye on it for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it out on a friend's Family Share just because the art was lovely, reminded me somewhat of Tibia and it was just a few MBs to download.

Played it for less than 10 minutes and instantly fell in love with the introduction, how the mechanics are presented, and the balance between pop up tutorials and player discovery. Great humor in the item and enemy descriptions as well.

Only negative thing I saw was the character walking animation, but it's not like that's exactly good in Tibia either.

I'm buying this, can't wait to properly play what's available, and looking forward to future updates. I don't usually do the Early Access thing, but this game just instantly captured me.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
How long does a run take? Seems like a game I'd like but I hear people complaining about the low content.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How much can you customize? I'm seeing a lot of the bearded guy.
there is currently no character creator, you just choose 4 preset characters. they got preset attributes and skills they can immediately learn, but any character can do and become anything. you could pick the mage character and find a book that teaches her axe skills and make her an axe wielder.
the character creator will be added at a later date.
there are two male (dwarf and human) and 2 female (human) characters to choose right now.
the old man with the white beard is a story NPC you play as in the prologue/tutorial only.

How long does a run take? Seems like a game I'd like but I hear people complaining about the low content.

Well I don't think there is anything like a "run".
the game is supposed to have a full main story campaign and you can do all this side content. Right now I couldn't tell you how long it would take to do EVERYTHING in the current version. Like, 20+ hours? maybe? I really couldn't tell you. I have been playing for 5 hours and haven't even finished a single contract cause I died so often and lost my progress XD I finally got a good thing going with my archer though! (he says as he gets mauled by 3 wolves and dies, losing 30min progress again ;( )

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From what I've seen so far, it looks great and has a lot of potential, but seems a bit early on the content side.

It could end up being a very good bridge to making roguelikes actually accessible.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
FINALLY finished my first contract! Had to go to a Fort and kill a bandit group to get reports back. Got me some nice money from that which bought me a new bow and some food and healing items. Almost lvl 3! Trying an archer/dual dagger build. Very fun so far!

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded it. Gives me Dransik/Ashen Empires/Elderlands-vibes which is always good.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Second contract finished! My bow upgrade has paid for itself with how much more damage I do and I found some better daggers too.
Got a nice stash of healing items and food now.
I had to laugh at the contract cause you are supposed to kill someone and bring their hand as proof. The hand is an item in your inventory and counts as FOOD. So you could click it and eat it, thereby failing the contract AND losing sanity XD

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
I guess it's doing good. Dev's broadcast has 10k watchers and there are 10k concurrent players.

kMNur9k.png

pagkoHJ.png

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I guess it's doing good. Dev's broadcast has 10k watchers and there are 10k concurrent players.

kMNur9k.png

pagkoHJ.png
Yeah, as far as I can tell the game has been (and still is for the release version) quite awaited. They had a kickstarter aiming for 30000$ and ended up getting over 100000$, so I guess that is telling

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've seen so far, it looks great and has a lot of potential, but seems a bit early on the content side.

It could end up being a very good bridge to making roguelikes actually accessible.
I think it definitely could and the developer or developers has been very receptive to feedback thus far even starting from way earlier in the process, the only thing that's a sticking point right now and they've been adjusting it slightly since the launch is the save system.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think it definitely could and the developer or developers has been very receptive to feedback thus far even starting from way earlier in the process, the only thing that's a sticking point right now and they've been adjusting it slightly since the launch is the save system.
Yeah they made saving at an inn WAY cheaper for now but in the future it'll go more expensive again as they add more save spots like your caravan and campfires and such. they released like 3 hotfixes day 1. seems the devs are pretty on point.

Looks interesting. Just saw I have a coupon on Steam for 15% off cause I have darkest dungeon. Are they the same dev ?

They are not the same devs but I think they are very friendly with each other.
The Stoneshard devs at one point tweeted this fanart for Darkest Dungeon in the Stoneshard style
DCh1ZmyW0AI8fLF

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Seems to have some good numbers on Twitch as well.
Saw a japanese streamer with 10k viewers stream it last night and some others with 2-3k viewers each too

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Game sounds great but call me vain becausse I don't know why we see so many of these pixelated games still. Is it all because of development costs and releated to being indie? There are a ton of great games like Dead Cells, The Messenger, Axiom Verge, etc. but I still have a hard time getting past the visuals.

A great game is a great game which is why I will likely still try this but there seems to be some sort of resurgance in pixelated games the last decade or so.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Game sounds great but call me vain becausse I don't know why we see so many of these pixelated games still. Is it all because of development costs and releated to being indie? There are a ton of great games like Dead Cells, The Messenger, Axiom Verge, etc. but I still have a hard time getting past the visuals.

A great game is a great game which is why I will likely still try this but there seems to be some sort of resurgance in pixelated games the last decade or so.
I think it's because it allows great detail and distinct artstyle but in a way so it runs on underpowered hardware and needs a different kind of work to be made functional and good looking.
I think it also lends itself to games like this for example. Like, the amount of content you can create in this artstyle in a certain timeframe is vastly larger than if it was 3D.

Like, imagine they made this game in 3D kinda like Witcher 3. Now they actually have to compete with Witcher 3's graphics.
That's a bar an indie studio just can't reach. How could they?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I think it's because it allows great detail and distinct artstyle but in a way so it runs on underpowered hardware and needs a different kind of work to be made functional and good looking.
I think it also lends itself to games like this for example. Like, the amount of content you can create in this artstyle in a certain timeframe is vastly larger than if it was 3D
You're probably right. I need to get past it because a lot of time and love are put into some of these games and it's not like they are asking $60 for them.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You're probably right. I need to get past it because a lot of time and love are put into some of these games and it's not like they are asking $60 for them.
I often also have the problems of certain graphic styles turning me off, but I can only give you the advice of trying to see past it and watching a game in movement properly or trying it out when you can.
Download the Prologue for this and test it, I am sure you'll see the game under the graphics is solid