Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only have like $700 of fun money in Robinhood and I wasn't going to touch it today anyway but it's nuts that it was unusable all day. That $75 account transfer fee is probably going to hold me hostage though since it's a tenth of my balance.

Edit: for those looking for alternatives, Vanguard introduced comission free 5rades at the beginning of this year. That's where the bulk of my investments are.

Why wouldn't you just sell your position, then move the cash to a different brokerage? That way you would avoid the fee.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Take the rumor as you will (with strong speculation):

From Twitter:

"There's talk on the Blind forum, a software engineer from Robinhood revealed that they have lost a lot of user data due to a data crash, and their data backup is not functioning as expected."

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was a hell of a rally to close the day, good to see. Not out of the woods by a long shot but looks like there's some confidence back people buying into the close.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Stocks actually up 3% today. Was not expecting after the shitty dax performance earlier.

less

Oct 25, 2017
*Massive sulking intensifies*

Well, at least I can be happy with my stocks going up.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I didn't expect it to be like this today
This market makes no sense and it hasn't for the past year.

We went down 12% last week and people were banging the drums of alarm and disaster, and yet the market had climbed 12% in the 3 months prior for absolutely no reason at all.

Today we rally almost 5% despite there really being no positive news related to the virus today at all. In fact, there is every reason to believe the confirmed cases and deaths are only going to accelerate in the coming weeks, which is further going to affect people's behavior and have negative effects on the economy.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Why can't the market go up almost 5% every day? ;)

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This market makes no sense and it hasn't for the past year.

We went down 12% last week and people were banging the drums of alarm and disaster, and yet the market had climbed 12% in the 3 months prior for absolutely no reason at all.

Today we rally almost 5% despite there really being no positive news related to the virus today at all. In fact, there is every reason to believe the confirmed cases and deaths are only going to accelerate in the coming weeks, which is further going to affect people's behavior and have negative effects on the economy.

Don't bring the economy into this we're playing Stonks.

Also where the fuck else is there to put your money? Bonds? A high yield savings account? Some shitty 1-2% CD?

It honestly feels like play the market passively or actively operate rental units.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Now that every brokerage does free trading, there's literally no reason to use RH. They're done after this.

I'll definitely be moving my stuff out to etrade or Schwab once they're back up.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Don't bring the economy into this we're playing Stonks.

Also where the fuck else is there to put your money? Bonds? A high yield savings account? Some shitty 1-2% CD?

It honestly feels like play the market passively or actively operate rental units.
When the markets are at these levels, divorced from reality, yes, I have a large percentage of my money in CD's earning about 2.5% or bonds earning something similar.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Delusional rally. Nothing was fixed. Pandemic is spreading, PMI in China has cratered to 35, globally in solid recession territory of 47.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I have no experience with this stuff, but the last ~3 years look a lot like a Cryptocurrencies graph. Seems like the dow is easily 5k points higher than it should be.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I expected the bounce today. Probably will go down again later in the week. I mean, there were some heavy bounces back during the plunge in 2008-09 too, not out of the ordinary. There's always a chance it is over now, but I doubt it...

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Delusional rally. Nothing was fixed. Pandemic is spreading, PMI in China has cratered to 35, globally in solid recession territory of 47.

Markets are rarely rational :( It makes me cautious about what's going to happen this week. I didn't expect today to rally so hard, so I'm hoping that we don't see massive drops later this week.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Markets are rarely rational :( It makes me cautious about what's going to happen this week. I didn't expect today to rally so hard, so I'm hoping that we don't see massive drops later this week.

That's true, but over time of PMI is 47 and dropping due to a pandemic, no amount of liquidity is fixing that. It's gonna drop again I think.

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a large chunk of stocks from work vesting in April that I immediately plan to sell off to cover some upcoming expenses as long as the market hasn't tanked too bad. Hope it holds up okay until April

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but over time of PMI is 47 and dropping due to a pandemic, no amount of liquidity is fixing that. It's gonna drop again I think.

Yeah, I agree. Any rate cuts coming later is just papering over the problem until PMI (and the coronavirus situation) recovers to a reasonable level.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding a lot of my company's shares via ESPP and RSUs, but I think I might just sell the majority of them. Hmm...

Deleted member 1062

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a couple grand in an ESPP and thinking the same thing. I guess it doesn't matter since I wasn't planning on touching it for another year or so but damn if it isn't tempting.
depending on if you're in a gain or loss situation it may be better to wait it out until your outside short term capital gains tax

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this rally when literally nothing has changed. It's like when Trump kept tweeting that they were getting close to a deal with China when there was no deal and the market would rally.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand this rally when literally nothing has changed. It's like when Trump kept tweeting that they were getting close to a deal with China when there was no deal and the market would rally.

The markets aren't always rational. This is why it's so dumb when people say the bottom is obvious and they can time the market.

If it was rational, it'd be easy to time the market - it's not.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question. Why did my FXAIX and FSKAX holdings lose approximately .8% today when the S&P500 gained almost 5%?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Answer one: this rally began Friday afternoon after Jpow said the fed would take steps to stave off a recession. That means emergency rate reduction. Today was just the market pricing that in.

Answer two: the market doesn't give a fuck and makes no sense sometimes.

Both are valid theories that people are using to inform their trades.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
alright. just set up an etrade account with a bit of money I was able to free up (aka money that was just sitting in a .1% annual return savings account >.>)

Now to let the money get transferred in and just rot until a stock I want gets low enough that I'm willing to buy. (and if it goes lower after, oh well, it's not like I'm trying to flip it quickly just investing some for later)

worst case I will get $100 from doing this as Etrade was running a promotion where if you transfer in X amount of money you get $100 added to it in a week.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They reacted to the ECB saying it is ready to step in and on rumors the G7 finance ministers will decide on something to help the world economy tomorrow.
They priced something in that might or might not come tomorrow.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really bummed that this thread didn't get changed to "UPDATE: DOW Up 1000 points!" after following it all this time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.