Status
Not open for further replies.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the glorious day I thought VTI at 140 was a deal and dumped a ton of money in. (Last week...)
This is around where I first started purchasing VTI so anything below that I want to try and buy. I bought a little more at 122/123 earlier this week. Unfortunately, I'm at a point where I cannot invest more without dipping into money earmarked for other things. So I'll have to continue buying at my original planned pace instead.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need learn more about methods for pricing these things...

I'm not a stock picker, but during these times I want to own specific companies that are especially heavily discounted.

I'm mainly eyeing Tesla, Microsoft, and Disney
It's all guesswork. Pick a price you are personally comfortable with, knowing that it may never reach that price and you won't get the stock, or that it might end up going even lower and you might lose some money initially.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's all guesswork. Pick a price you are personally comfortable with, knowing that it may never reach that price and you won't get the stock, or that it might end up going even lower and you might lose some money initially.

I'm more about long term, but for stock picks I care more about buying more towards the bottom through dollar cost averaging it out. For my 401K I will still contribute regularly enough to Max out my 401K by year end and will not change this.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I really need learn more about methods for pricing these things...

I'm not a stock picker, but during these times I want to own specific companies that are especially heavily discounted.

I'm mainly eyeing Tesla, Microsoft, and Disney

I don't think I will buy Disney for a while... anyone have target prices for Tesla and Microsoft? I'm assuming I shouldn't expect Microsoft to drop as much.

Spend what you're OK losing. That's what I did with Ford (buy order in at $4.50 right now) and will do with DIS if it hits my target.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Spend what you're OK losing. That's what I did with Ford (buy order in at $4.50 right now) and will do with DIS if it hits my target.
I won't lose. I'll gain in the long term unless my picks go bankrupt.

It's just that I want to gain more buying more shares at an appropriate time. For me that might be when there's actual hope of making it through this thing. I wouldn't care if it's not at the bottom if it's relatively cheap price

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
What's up with fujifilm?
asia.nikkei.com

China says Japan-developed drug Avigan works against coronavirus

Positive reception by Chinese government contrasts with reservations in Japan

My most recent DIS position was short this weeks $100 calls, which I just closed because the risk/reward of holding 3 more days for the additional 20c per option they were now worth isn't a good idea. It's getting very cheap though. Could it get to $60? Who knows. I tend to think it won't get as cheap as some hope because everyone is waiting for it. As for movies revenue, I expect to see films coming out PPV style. Universal Pictures already announced such a move, at $19.99 for 48 hour rentals.

I don't believe the lockdown goes more than a few weeks, regardless of the fact it won't be eradicated by then. Trump will say, "The healthcare system is now well prepared.", which we know it isn't.

What are peoples thoughts on BA? Down from almost $400 a year ago, and $340 just over a month ago, to $100 now. Obviously the fundamentals are horrid, but I'm sure a govt bailout is coming for them.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
I just scaled back my 401k contributions to "just enough" for the employer match. Takes a month to take effect though so wish I had acted sooner. Also going with a 65/35 fund for the time being instead of 100% equities.

still making my after tax contributions because I can afford it and because I can't catch up later in the year like I can with the 401k

I'm hesitant to touch my Roth IRA even though it's tempting to cut my losses.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
UITCzYN.png

tenor.gif

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't short. Like 99% of the time I don't. But it's because I could see the cliff that I've taken up small short positions. And it's because I've taken up those small short positions and a lot of my money being on the side lines that I haven't lost money in this market in over a week. So, there's that.

Things are gonna get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllll ugly, though.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Flirting with the circuit breaker again.

It just boggles my mind that we aren't even close to the worst of the virus here in the states.

Gonna take a long time to recover from this... And although Trump could have done *a lot* more to combat this, there's really no escaping it now. We just gotta ride out the storm, listen to the epidemiologists, and hope for the best.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could enter the market while everything is so low, but I need to keep my meager savings liquid because "in case of emergency" might be real soon. As usual I see opportunity but don't have the assets to act on it....

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MGM Resorts International is in the toilet. Now below 6.75 with a loss of 30% today. I bought another 50 shares at 7.00. Might buy a little more later on if it keeps dropping.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, the DOW is desperately trying to close the hour above 20k... but that resistance point for the past couple days is now looking like its working against them

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
[
dow was at about 17.2k 4 years ago, we've got a ways to go but at this rate it could come sooner than we think.

Dow is garbage, 30 weirdly scaled company stocks is not a good representation of the US market.

Use the S&P or the Russel for comparisons to the past:
The S&P500 closed at 2263.69 on January 19 2017
The Russel 3000 closed at 1345.58 on January 19 2017

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I feel REALLY bad for folks who took a bath during all of this. My grandpa called me last night saying his portfolio was down over $100k. I mean, he's 86, but still.

For me, it's a good excuse to invest a little here and there while things are low (and likely to recover to at least higher than they are now).

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
for the first time in a while there's a bit of logic to the market with the likes of Walmart, Amazon, Netflix and UPS up today. In the UK Sainsburys is up loads too.
For sure. All these pie in the sky promise companies that got multi billion dollar market caps and make almost no money can finally crash as they deserve.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
[

Dow is garbage, 30 weirdly scaled company stocks is not a good representation of the US market.

Use the S&P or the Russel for comparisons to the past:
The S&P500 closed at 2263.69 on January 19 2017
The Russel 3000 closed at 1345.58 on January 19 2017
Dow is garbage, agreed. Best to go with election night. From then on, market was definitely pricing in Trump, from well before the inauguration. Close on Nov 8 2016 was 18,332 and 2,139.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I'm considering pulling out money out of a mutual fund. Miraculously it's still up 18% over the past year but I know it's only going to continue to go down from here and I think it's better to have that cash now since this doesn't seem like it's going to end anytime soon.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
When talking about the economy, Dow is evidently not the best measure. When measuring Trump? It's the measure he himself chose as the benchmark for the economy because baby likes big numbers. So hang that shit around his neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.