Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
It's 100% worth it to combat ills of aging (declining mood, physical performance)

Based on some of the studies I've been reading, I'm not so sure about that. There are definitely benefits to bone density and libido, but it doesn't seem to actually improve mood or general physical performance, and it definitely increases heart attack and stroke risk with increased arterial plaque buildup. In most cases, elderly men would be much better served by adopting regular exercise habits, which actually does improve mood, movement, libido, bone density, AND cardiovascular risk factors.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I just look at the average life span of a professional wrestler and tell myself to do the opposite of whatever they do. Including copious amounts of steroids.

maxglute

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on some of the studies I've been reading, I'm not so sure about that. There are definitely benefits to bone density and libido, but it doesn't seem to actually improve mood or general physical performance, and it definitely increases heart attack and stroke risk with increased arterial plaque buildup. In most cases, elderly men would be much better served by adopting regular exercise habits, which actually does improve mood, movement, libido, bone density, AND cardiovascular risk factors.

Ideally in conjunction with exercise.

But prescribing exercise alone is a wishful thinking non-starter public policy that will never reach critical mass behavior change. We're left with are magic pill solutions: boost T to increase some muscle (and reduce fat via body recomp), prolong body for a few more years of useful function and durability.

Oct 27, 2017
I would only trust respected medical resources in making such a descision. Of course people taking steroids are going to justify their usage. I mean, you could probably find people taking cocaine or heroine telling you that they are not addicted and there's no problem taking it from time to time. Many people are full of shit and will justify anything they can.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I hear so much conflicting information about anabolic steroids. I've read online that they are super dangerous and also other people saying that the risk and side effects are actually quite minimal if done properly. I've read people saying they are fine to do and other people make them sound worse than heroin. I'm conflicted and making this thread because I'm curious about them and a lot of guys use them. I don't see what the big deal is if guys are using them safely and aren't competing in sports. People use them in sports and people also just use them for themselves. I'm wanting to learn about them because if they aren't so bad and if done properly what's the problem if guys want to use them to make gains in the gym? Please share your experience regarding steroids and also if you think they are bad or not.

I'll give my honest experience. I'm 43. I was getting tired and stuff, not feeling good, this was about 6 years ago. I got a prescription for a really high dose of testosterone @ 400mg/week. Basically an online clinic. Never felt better in my life. Continued on with that, tried other PEDs since then Tren and NPP. No regrets to be honest. I've chilled out and now I'm at 200mg/week which is still very much over what your body would produce.

I would say if you are young be careful. If you want kids be careful. I'm passed all that.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's good enough for Scott Steiner, it's good enough for me. He looks great.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
Ideally in conjunction with exercise.

But prescribing exercise alone is a wishful thinking non-starter public policy that will never reach critical mass behavior change. We're left with are magic pill solutions: boost T to increase some muscle (and reduce fat via body recomp), prolong body for a few more years of useful function and durability.

It's not really a solution to boost T in the elderly population, since you're exchanging a decreased in bone breakage with an increased risk in heart attack and stroke. And frankly, the latter is a more serious epidemic compared to the former.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
They're one of those things I've come to understand is basically:

If you really know what you're putting inside yourself, get tested regularly and keep open communication about with your doctor to ensure your levels are fine, it helps.

Most guys don't do that though and go for what's easy and get all the known side effects/detriments because of it which leads to the (admittedly deserved) stigma.

It's wiser to not bother really. Just get whey protein and learn to eat big.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So I hear so much conflicting information about anabolic steroids. I've read online that they are super dangerous and also other people saying that the risk and side effects are actually quite minimal if done properly. I've read people saying they are fine to do and other people make them sound worse than heroin. I'm conflicted and making this thread because I'm curious about them and a lot of guys use them. I don't see what the big deal is if guys are using them safely and aren't competing in sports. People use them in sports and people also just use them for themselves. I'm wanting to learn about them because if they aren't so bad and if done properly what's the problem if guys want to use them to make gains in the gym? Please share your experience regarding steroids and also if you think they are bad or not.
Because you can't safely take them without being monitored by a physician, and guess what physicians aren't ethically allowed to do? Dispense medications without a legit cause.

You NEED your blood monitored on a regular basis, or your hormones WILL go out of whack. People taking them recreationally for 'gains' also have a very bad habit of thinking they are starting out safe, but then amping up the doses because they want to see more gains.

You also don't have any way to prove that the steroids are clean and not contaminated with anything, or that the needles weren't reused, or any other number of other things ALL related to not being monitored by a proper physician.

maxglute

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really a solution to boost T in the elderly population, since you're exchanging a decreased in bone breakage with an increased risk in heart attack and stroke. And frankly, the latter is a more serious epidemic compared to the former.

I've only read studies that the increase to cardiovascular risks being marginal for replacement levels. There's elevated risk is for heavy users, but dosages I'm talking about is prolonging baseline function. There's not much research done on the topic, being banned substance and all. All I can say is the older folks I know on TRT look and live a lot healthier than those that don't. It doesn't have to be active exercise, prolonging bodily function leads to more passive activity and the host of benefits therein.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Because you can't safely take them without being monitored by a physician, and guess what physicians aren't ethically allowed to do? Dispense medications without a legit cause.

You NEED your blood monitored on a regular basis, or your hormones WILL go out of whack. People taking them recreationally for 'gains' also have a very bad habit of thinking they are starting out safe, but then amping up the doses because they want to see more gains.

You also don't have any way to prove that the steroids are clean and not contaminated with anything, or that the needles weren't reused, or any other number of other things ALL related to not being monitored by a proper physician.

These are also a big factors to consider. It's just a lot of hassle and ethically grey areas to wade into that it doesn't generally seem worth it if you wanna be safe. The same amount of effort to juice safely can be used to just.... eat big and lift big normally.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
My issue has always been the lying. If you're going to do them, then do them, but don't set people up for failure by touting how clean you are. If you're half nat own being half nat.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
people who do it for gains make it look mad obvious and it usually looks really ugly lol

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I've been on and off them for years due to autoimmune disease. They make me put on a ton of weight but I'm still alive. For gains: Don't do it. They basically kill your immune system.

You're on corticosteroids - probably prednisone I assume - while the OP is talking about anabolic steroids, ie. testosterone (sex hormone).

Personally, if you look at the massive social cost elderly fall statistics, I think almost everyone in old age should take them just to augment daily performance.

Just clarifying: are you suggesting the elderly go on anabolic steroids to prevent falls?

maxglute

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're on corticosteroids - probably prednisone I assume - while the OP is talking about anabolic steroids, ie. testosterone (sex hormone).

Just clarifying: are you suggesting the elderly go on anabolic steroids to prevent falls?

Extra muscle mass around hip girdle has preventative benefits, less falls from stronger lowerbody and less damage after the fact. Muscle is essential to everyday function and durability. It's kind of bummer steroid research is limited because the west didn't like USSR winning gold medals or their own athletes doing sportball better.

Last edited:

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I personally believe the only reason you should take steroids for gains is if you are a professional athlete or a professional body builder, also there should be steroid leagues for sports. For regular people, unless there is something wrong where you cant get any sort of results without them its not worth it mainly due to the side effects. I took testosterone pills for a week and while my workouts were next level I was emotional as fuck and got triggered really easy. Let alone other side effects like suicidal thoughts.

If you had a doctor apply them then I guess that is fine but not worth it in my opinion.