Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else feel guilty for staying in on the weekend? After working 9-5 through the week, i honestly don't have the energy to go out and spend money which i need to save anyway. I mean, I will go out and do stuff, but just not some big extravagant thing.

This somehow leads to me feeling guilty, like I wasted my weekend. Come Monday morning, everyone's comparing their weekends at work, and I usually keep quiet because it seems like they all always do something crazy (granted, a lot of them have kids and I do not).

For those of us here who do like to stay in, what do you usually do?

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's the best.

I basically just shut my brain off and sleep in, watch TV, do groceries, whatever I want at my own pace.. best way to deflate from the work week.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why should I feel forced to do something just because it's the weekend? I spend all week doing stuff. Me time on the weekends is great.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I balance. As someone who is sometimes extroverted and sometimes introverted, I need weekends alone after I've had a weekend of fun with friends, so I alternate and go with what feels right on any given week.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel guilty or fomo, what I do feel is depression because when I opt out of whatever my wife is doing because of anxiety and the thought that I would rather spend time at home, I quickly realize I simply let my anxiety dictate my actions and that sends me into a hole.

Do nothing weekends with my wife don't do this.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My weekends always end up being when the chores and errands happen, so any weekend where I don't have to leave is a blessing.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even notice tbh. I spend most weekends sitting in front of my computer or TV, going to the gym, hiking/skating, etc. It's way better saving money and relaxing in the safety/comfort of your home/neighborhood. If I had more friends, then yeah I'd probably "party" a lot more. But my idea of "going out" is mostly concert and festivals and stuff. If there's a band I like playing near me, I'm always down to spend my weekend at the show. But that's rarely the case.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have enough local friends to really do much during the weekend.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm dead broke rn and have been since the start of the new year. It's forced me to stay in. Sucks but you get used to it.

Oct 27, 2017
If the weather allows I'll go for a walk at least. I used to do more stuff with my kids on the weekends but they're teens now and being independent so... Otherwise I hang out at home on the weekends for the most part.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm fine with staying in on the weekend. I do something maybe one saturday a month, which is usually just hanging out at a friends house. I have no desire to actually go out somewhere.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
I dont feel guilty at all. I work 10 to 12 hours every day from Monday to Friday and 6 hours on Saturday. I have zero desire to spend the other half of Saturday or my Sunday wind surfing or mountain climbing or doing crafts or whatever the fuck. Maybe it is my age too, but I have no interest in going out to meet people or things like that, I am spending all the other time at work constantly interacting with people and I do not need or want new friends or to be part of some network.

I might take my kid to the park, go for lunch with my wife or maybe go see a movie but that is really the upper limit of what I want to do on my time off. Outside of that it is check the internet, maybe play a game, drink too much, watch Netflix etc. That is the relaxing part is having total control over your own time.

That being said, I work with someone who feels the exact opposite. He has consistently asked me "Whats your plan for the weekend?" for the past six years, even though it is nearly 4 o clock on a Saturday and we are both still in work. He loves to spend the time he has organizing get together BBQs and boating events and camping trips and so on. When he feels run down he would rather go the other way and put together something that is going to keep him busier, I think because putting the thing together is an activity that he enjoys in and of itself.

I do sometimes think that I could use my time a little more productively, as I used to write and do a lot more creative things in a long ago previous job that what I do now, but at the same time I feel the pace and duties of my current job just kind of realistically precludes that and I need time to decompress. Since we are all headed to the grave, I think any time you enjoy, no matter what you are doing, is special.

Last edited:

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I play video games on my weekends, it's also what I do when I come back home from work.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I work six days and my one day off, I look after the kids while they avoid homework all day and chase them around the house and maybe if they go to bed at 10pm, I get to play games for 1 hour. Yay.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy to stay in during the weekend, as long as I'm enjoying the time I'm spending it doesn't matter to me whether it's in the house or elsewhere.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
You can be productive and shit get done, rest more, and save a lot of money (especially if you're in a large city). Staying in on a weekend is great. Staying in on a weekend is even greater during winter in the midwest.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Does anyone else feel guilty for staying in on the weekend? After working 9-5 through the week, i honestly don't have the energy to go out and spend money which i need to save anyway. I mean, I will go out and do stuff, but just not some big extravagant thing.

This somehow leads to me feeling guilty, like I wasted my weekend. Come Monday morning, everyone's comparing their weekends at work, and I usually keep quiet because it seems like they all always do something crazy (granted, a lot of them have kids and I do not).

For those of us here who do like to stay in, what do you usually do?

Why would you feel guilty?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I feel bad when I go out at the weekends, like "I could be resting..."

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. If all I want to do is lie down and not move, I'm not going to feel guilty if I get a chance to do it.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Don't feel guilty at all. Did laundry tonight while watching Tucker & Dale vs. Evil for the first time and sipping rum. No regrets.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, not really, especially since I'll go out during the week more often than not. Living in a 24 hour city affords me more opportunities.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i consider my weekend "wasted" if i'm not just sitting around in my boxers drinking beer and playing games or whatever.

Oct 28, 2017
My friends invite me out every weekend but it just sounds fucking awful. Theres so much more I'd much rather do at home

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
xkWZMh4.jpg

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
The people I would want to hang out with, are often busy during the weekends, so I mostly do my own thing. I don't like noisy places with a lot of people so most of the typical fomo stuff isn't my cup of tea anyway.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Being alone at home is my default. So no, I notice when I actually do go out or hang out with people.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Mrs. Cotton and I work out of our home. She is a Project Manager and I'm a REALTOR. When we're not working we're normally at home with our special needs kiddo (it's much less stressful for our son to stay home, normal things really can almost seemingly randomly set him off most days).

We have our home setup to be great place to be, so we're happy to be home on off days. I like to get out to play some Disc Golf, and get out to see a couple friends from time to time, besides that, at home with the Mrs. is the way to go!

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not at all. I work 5 days a week just to have a home to relax in. If I'm never there....the fuck am I paying for?

I like being a homebody but I get out far more with my daughter., Can't have her cooped up every weekend. But generally I rotate between active weekends and just chillin.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I went out yesterday at 1 pm and the so cal sun said fuck you with its ray beam so i went back inside to play my games like any 20 year old sensible man should do.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Getting my party animal phase over and done with then turning into a homebody has been my favorite piece of character development.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Why would you feel guilty or regretful for doing what you want to do?

This idea that the weekend is party time and everyone is out having a blast is just bullshit we fill our heads with. It's your life do what you want with it and don't shame yourself with some stupid marketing version of what life is supposed to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel guilty at all. Did laundry tonight while watching Tucker & Dale vs. Evil for the first time and sipping rum. No regrets.

That's good, campy horror. Really funny stuff.

I've been spending the last few weekends watching horror-comedy, too.

This weekend I've been "marathoning" all the 80's Friday the 13th & Nightmare on Elm Street films. Watching all of them in release order. Tonight, I'm watching Dream Warriors and Jason Lives.