Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I was semi-excited for Tribes of Midgard, but man, that trailer got me really interested in it. I didnt realize how much more depth there was to it.

Crazy how much a 2 mins trailer can change my opinion on a game.

Oh yes! I was this, I'd always been curios if it, but expected it to be a PS+ title eventually, but they showed off enough today to get me into picking it up. Didn't expect it to have the depth and longevity it looks to have from earlier showings, pretty excited!

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
People don't seem to like when publishers do the exact thing they said they were going to do instead of delivering things they never promised.
Wow.... You can still expect other indie games or simply not liking a show. Where is this argument that as long as a company manages expectations nobody should be disappointed is coming from?

Aug 27, 2018
Wow.... You can still expect other indie games or simply not liking a show. Where is this argument that as long as a company manages expectations nobody should be disappointed is coming from?
It's kind of self manufactured disappointment though, isn't it? If Sony comes out and says "hey, we're showing indies, a couple of third party titles, and Deathloop" and then they show indies, a few third party titles and Deathloop...and people get mad that's all they showed...whose fault is that?

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

Read again, being disappointed with what they showed is one thing, but being disappointed because they didn't show something they weren't going to show is another.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i also expected a little more from death stranding, to me it honestly looks like they just bundled in a bunch of dlc they've planned for it

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm arguing at the people saying the format doesn't work, what is shown doesn't affect the format of the show which is exactly the same as a direct. You can argue the show sucked because of the games but you can't say the format sucks and say it works for Nintendo.

Even the formats are different though, something that should be clear if you've ever watched a Direct.

Directs usually have a format that goes like this: Long trailer for Long trailer/demo -> Short <1 minute 'Headlines' -> Long trailer/demo -> Headlines -> "One more thing."

Meanwhile State of Plays have been "Long trailer -> Long trailer -> Long Trailer." They don't have the brevity nor the amount of content to have the same format as a Direct, so any game that people aren't interested in seeing is going to take up much more time in a State of Play than a Direct.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, they managed expectations well so it wasnt a disappointment in that sense. but i feel like i learned very little during the stream, dont think it needed to happen at all.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
Even the formats are different though, something that should be clear if you've ever watched a Direct.

Directs usually have a format that goes like this: Long trailer for Long trailer/demo -> Short <1 minute 'Headlines' -> Long trailer/demo -> Headlines -> "One more thing."

Meanwhile State of Plays have been "Long trailer -> Long trailer -> Long Trailer." They don't have the brevity nor the amount of content to have the same format as a Direct, so any game that people aren't interested in seeing is going to take up much more time in a State of Play than a Direct.
So Nintendo Directs are better because they show people in between games?

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Deathloop showing was pretty poor ngl and I fail to see the appeal.

Was already sold on Sifu and Jett, but Tribes of Midgard was for me the highlight of the show. And it's coming also very soon! Excited to try it out.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
That was enjoyable, aside from that Fortnite-lookin' game that showed up right after the good opener (Moss <3).

They should have booted that out of the lineup and given Deathloop more time ;P

Uh, pretty sure that reaction is to people being upset over imaginary expectations like big AAA reveals, etc. when they specifically promoted Deathloop + indies / third party updates. Of course people can still dislike the show.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's kind of self manufactured disappointment though, isn't it? If Sony comes out and says "hey, we're showing indies, a couple of third party titles, and Deathloop" and then they show indies, a few third party titles and Deathloop...and people get mad that's all they showed...whose fault is that?

Saying you're going to do x doesn't mean people can't be disappointed in x.

Did you literally not read my entire post? What?

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
I like that the fallout of every state of play is "it's your own fault for expecting anything"

Oct 27, 2017
This episode was definitely, but I think there were some great SoP shows in the past. I think the format overall works better than Inside Xbox. But my favorite are still big E3, GC, ... shows.
Agreed it is better than Inside Xbox just because it removes the fat, but I don't understand the release cadence. This stuff plus Horizon 2 gameplay and God of War gameplay and the Ghost of Tsushima announcement would have been a really good show.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
i mean, they managed expectations well so it wasnt a disappointment in that sense. but i feel like i learned very little during the stream, dont think this it needed to happen at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a contractual obligation to show many of these off at an "event" in order to gain exclusivity and all that. Plus some devs probably pay them to show off their games in these things.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
In for Deathloop but it's entered the anti-hype phase now where I'm sick of seeing it/hearing about it.

Considering Arkane's track record of stellar level design and gameplay systems, but super clunky actual gameplay, the idea of a full action game doesn't seem too hot though.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Oh yes! I was this, I'd always been curios if it, but expected it to be a PS+ title eventually, but they showed off enough today to get me into picking it up. Didn't expect it to have the depth and longevity it looks to have from earlier showings, pretty excited!
Ya, the Saga Missions, Endless Survival, Classes, Runes, Skill Trees...I didn't think all that kind of stuff was gonna be in the game. Got me pretty excited.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes. Leakers taking BIG L's this week. So much for FF16.

This week? It's been like this for months. If you went by different leakers or journalists around the web, Battlefield 2042 was supposed to be a Game Pass title, Switch Pro was supposed to have been revealed already, Disco Elysium a PS Plus title in May, Scarlett Nexus a day one Game Pass game, Starfield a spring 2022 title and so on.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed it is better than Inside Xbox just because it removes the fat, but I don't understand the release cadence. This stuff plus Horizon 2 gameplay and God of War gameplay and the Ghost of Tsushima announcement would have been a really good show.
They mentioned they will have more to show during the summer. That's when you're getting GoW, Horizon 2, GT7, FF16, Forespoken, GoT expansion etc...

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I agree with you that if someone was expecting GoW or whatever than the person has only herself/himself to blame.
Read again, being disappointed with what they showed is one thing, but being disappointed because they didn't show something they weren't going to show is another.
I think you said it was Deathloop and indies. Correct me if that's nonsense. But actually the quote was Deathloop, indies and third party. So as long as someone didn't expect first part to be there the possibilies were there.

Personally I didn't expect the world for various reasons (one being I expect another SoP in august or so). However with third party being in there, as per Sony statement, the possibility of FF16, GTA5, ... were there. Not likely, but then again possible, because those are third party games.

Don't get me wrong, managing expectations is important and I have fallen into the trap to often in early days as a gamer to now get ultra hyped for these events. Having said that I can't blame people expecting more then what was shown, as long as the expectation were to see indies and third party. For me there were 3 interesting games Sifu, Judgment and Deathloop, but all of those aren't high up my hype list. So the showcase was a 5/10 for me.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
This week? It's been like this for months. If you went by different leakers or journalists around the web, Battlefield 2042 was supposed to be a Game Pass title, Switch Pro was supposed to have been revealed already, Disco Elysium a PS Plus title in May, Scarlett Nexus a day one Game Pass game, Starfield a spring 2022 title and so on.

Holiday 2021 was the original rumor, I thought

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit how'd I forget about this, just completely passed me by.

well let me catch up but looks like I didn't miss much. No XVI :(

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's not what they were saying at all I don't think but just to give a specific example of why one format is (IMO and I don't think I'd be alone here) superior to the other, it's kinda a bad idea to announce the game that you'll be spending nearly the final 10 minutes of in advance of the presentation, at least if you want it to be exciting. Directs have almost never said what would ultimately turn out to be the final game shown would be ahead of time in the way Sony did for this show-it makes for a much better last impression when you're surprised in that way IMO.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty boring as are all State of Plays and Directs. Such a boring as format to deliver new content.

Looks like I'm buying Death Stranding again

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holiday 2021 was the original rumor, I thought

Honestly I lose track. But unless someone like Jason Schrier is reporting it, I try not to pay insider gossip too much heed. There's been far too many false rumours spread this last year or two. Granted we've had Covid, so perhaps things are much more dynamic than usual.

Not all rumours are alike either, eg the Switch Pro rumours came from Bloomberg, which is obviously a little different than your typical outlet or insider. Surprised they flubbed that one so spectacularly.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I actually liked that Horizon got a separate show and I think Xbox should replicate those dedicated game shows. However you make a good point when it comes to Ghost of Tsushima. Why not show PS5 gameplay or the trailer at the event and then have devs talk a bit about it. That decision was weird imo.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
wonder if there's enough stuff to go back to deathstranding the new tools look fun but i just played it this past winter lol a bit soon to start it up again ,
and i need to finish judgement ,other than that this SOP was eh

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
E3 in June.
Gamescom in August.
Tokyo Game Show in September.
PSX in December.

What was so wrong about this schedule that they needed to change it, I wonder.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Personally I think Sony is doing a disservice to State of Plays by keeping all of their big first-party stuff for the major E3-like events.

Nintendo Directs work so well because you can almost always expect some major first-party content to show up. Whether that be something as small as a Smash character or as big as a Smash game reveal. So even when they're not 'the' biggest events for Nintendo it's clear that they're still big events for them.

Meanwhile Sony's very much treating State of Play as a space to show all the "third-class," sort of titles. The VR stuff, the higher-tier indies, the re-releases, the occasional somewhat-big third-party game, and so on. In some cases like this one they don't even try to associate with it by including any of their titles, that's even when they've got stuff like Ghost of Tshushima: DE that they could have easily announced here for extra hype.

So, overall, this means games shown in State of Plays are being placed in a worse position than games shown in Directs as they simply don't have the 'optimism back-up' of those big 1st or 3rd-party titles to make the whole thing feel more worthwhile.

I'm just spit-balling here, really. This may-or-may-not-be true, but it's definitely a trend I've noticed in how different the two "regular console-holder event," shows we have are.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Personally I think Sony is doing a disservice to State of Plays by keeping all of their big first-party stuff for the major E3-like events.

Nintendo Directs work so well because you can almost always expect some major first-party content to show up. Whether that be something as small as a Smash character or as big as a Smash game reveal. So even when they're not 'the' biggest events for Nintendo it's clear that they're still big events for them.

Meanwhile Sony's very much treating State of Play as a space to show all the "third-class," sort of titles. The VR stuff, the higher-tier indies, the re-releases, the occasional somewhat-big third-party game, and so on. In some cases like this one they don't even try to associate with it by including any of their titles, that's even when they've got stuff like Ghost of Tshushima: DE that they could have easily announced here for extra hype.

So, overall, this means games shown in State of Plays are being placed in a worse position than games shown in Directs as they simply don't have the 'optimism back-up' of those big 1st or 3rd-party titles to make the whole thing feel more worthwhile.

I'm just spit-balling here, really. This may-or-may-not-be true, but it's definitely a trend I've noticed in how different the two "regular console-holder event," shows we have are.

lol, you do know that Horizon Forbidden West got an extended State of Play just 1.5 months ago, right?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Jesus some of you really need to set your expectations properly lol
No it wasn't a banger show but it was exactly what they said it would be.

Jun 23, 2019
Saying you're going to do x doesn't mean people can't be disappointed in x.

Did you literally not read my entire post? What?

I did read it and it made no sense.

That's not what they were saying at all I don't think but just to give a specific example of why one format is (IMO and I don't think I'd be alone here) superior to the other, it's kinda a bad idea to announce the game that you'll be spending nearly the final 10 minutes of in advance of the presentation, at least if you want it to be exciting. Directs have almost never said what would ultimately turn out to be the final game shown would be ahead of time in the way Sony did for this show-it makes for a much better last impression when you're surprised in that way IMO.

So they are better because they surprise you with a mystery game? Good grief. I'm not saying that this SoP was mind-blowing, but if that's supposed to be a supporting reason, it's pretty minute to be honest.

Plum

May 31, 2018
lol, you do know that Horizon Forbidden West got an extended State of Play just 1.5 months ago, right?

Yes, but it wasn't included in "a State of Play." It, like seemingly all other Sony 1st-party games, got its own special event dedicated entirely to it and it alone. Horizon basically never had to 'mingle' with the 'lower-tiers' of games Sony wants to market.

I did read it and it made no sense.
[/QUOTE]

Then I don't know what to say lol

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I don't disagree but some of the posters are incredibly hyperbolic i e. "Don't even hold a SoP then" or "Where was FFXVI, trash" etc.

Jun 23, 2019
Yes, but it wasn't included in "a State of Play." It, like seemingly all other Sony 1st-party games, got its own special event dedicated entirely to it and it alone. Horizon basically never had to 'mingle' with the 'lower-tiers' of games Sony wants to market.

Then I don't know what to say lol
[/QUOTE]
*shrugs* Sounds like you just like Nintendo content more so than what Sony is showing considering you believe Nintendo always has something to surprise you with.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Well this was a waste of time.
I was already sold on Deathloop, and the rest didn't do much for me. F.I.S.T. looks okay?
But I really want updates on Little Devil Inside and Stray, c'mon Sony.

Plum

May 31, 2018
*shrugs* Sounds like you just like Nintendo content more so than what Sony is showing considering you believe Nintendo always has something to surprise you with.

If you ignore the fundamental differences in format, which you've been doing all along, then yeah you may be right. But since I'm not then nah.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Deathloop looks boring and console gaming in general is getting very boring as the AAA games take so long to make and are so far few in between these days.